How does one dine in a main dining room when sailing alone?

NowSolo

Sorry for your loss.

I too am travelling solo, for the third time, next Feb, and as usual have booked Traditional dining on a table of 6 or 8. Sometimes there are other solos on my table, or maybe mother and daughter travelling together, and yes on others have been couples. Everyone has been very kind, included me in the conversations. I find it nice to be able to chat about what we have all done that day, whether we have been on excursions etc etc.

I book ships excursions mainly, as I don't fancy wandering round big cities on my own, and I attend meet and greets on board as well as joining the roll calls for my cruise.

I know you will be well received whatever you choose to do!

Much appreciated TravelinJones. The only Thing I didn't understand of that was "sign up for the roll call and attend the gathering if there is one ". If you could clarify.

ROLL CALL - up at the top of each page (but under the Cruise Critic banner) you will see a star on the left side with "NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call"

click on it. Choose the ship and the month of your cruise, then choose the date. You are there. Click on it and do a post, you will almost certainly receive several "Welcome!!" comments back. You are now a member of your roll call.

They will most likely be planning a Meet & Greet get together, possibly other activities and always willing to share info about your cruise.

Best Wishes!

Hi. You did not mention when or where you are cruising. You should join your roll call. If you want to mention the where and when here, I would be glad to get the link for you. You are very brave to even get started here. All CCers will help and give advice.

You most certainly did get the right Pam. There is only 1 with the type knowledge she has accumulated over the years.:)

Now if you would like to cruise Hawaii next April. You would be most welcome to join us at dinner and elsewhere.:):)

My condolences on the loss of your wife.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, you've come to the right place for sure!

I did a couple of solo cruises while married, then a couple more after my husband died - including a 16 day transatlantic. I enjoy my own company, but knowing I would be sittting with the same group at dinner each night was always a highlight of the day.

I ask for traditional dining, large table, and let the maitre d' do his/her job. I've been assigned a table with just solo travellers of varying ages, just couples, and combinations. The 'just couples' version was the most challenging, but mainly because 2 couples were honeymooning, and none of the couples spoke English. I toughed it out rather than switch tables, and approached it as a growth opportunity.

I too recommend you join your roll call as at the very least you'll know some people before you even board.

Let us know how everything goes when you get back from your cruise as it's safe to say we're all rooting for you!

I would also like to point out that if you go to breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room that the head waiter will most probably seat you with a group of people. This is another fun way to meet interesting folks and share cruise experiences while onboard.

My condolences as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have sailed solo many times and I agree that probably the best way to go is Traditional Dining. Usually I find myself at a table with other solo cruisers as well. Princess tends to match those sailing solo up at the table.

That being said, on a previous cruise I was sailing solo, chose traditional and was seated at a table of six. No one else showed up. Luckily I met some new friends on board and shared their table in the Anytime Dining room. I don't mind eating alone, but I've been in similar situations before and have found that the staff in the dining room would prefer you weren't at a table alone and will try to sit you somewhere else. After a few days that's like coming late for the party.

Since I don't mind eating alone, my second choice would be a table for one in Anytime Dining.

Even if traditional dining says it is full, the maitre d' could probably find a place for one at a large table. We have never had problems getting reassigned to traditional dining when we did not get it--and there are two of us.

We've had solo travelers at our assigned table on three of our cruises. We like large tables, so it has worked out well to have seven instead of eight at the table.

Edited by geoherb

You are all too thoughtful. And this is not the easiest program to figure out. Yet I think you've answered my question. That I can try to switch to Traditional or go to the Maitre d' after boarding and ask for a table.

Are they used to hearing "can you seat me with other people dining solo", or would that just be luck of the draw.

I'm going to try to figure out how to make a smiling face next!!

I've switched from my usual Traditional dining to Anytime, as I now know a few people who are sailing on "my" cruise. However, I've never asked for a table of solo travelers (just never thought of it), but the last cruise I was on I went alone to the DR, said "a large table" and was seated with three guys and one woman. I think that maître de had a knack for remembering who was seated where. (Turns out one of the men at the table was my seat mate on the flight to the port. Small world.)

As far as answering your question, I think you'll do fine whatever you choose. You have a positive attitude and seem comfortable with life. Good luck!

My last question...for Pam, or anyone I suppose, would be...what size table would you request in the Traditional dining room? I don't want an overly large one...but, frankly, I don't know how large or small they are. I'd say not too large, not too small, but, what would that be?

I used to always ask for a "very large table" with TD; that way I figured I'd have at least some pleasant people. At the time, I don't know if I would have had the sense (and the confidence) to ask to be moved if certain table mates were overtly rude or "know it all." . I would have been afraid that they would ask me why I changed-silly, I know.

Ginny

NowSolo, first, welcome to Cruise Critic.....you will find the answers you are looking for from some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

I, too, found myself solo 19 months ago when my DH passed away. We loved cruising and would do at least 2 a year.

I'll be on my third solo cruise in April and I must say it was scary at first but honestly, I can't think of a better way to vacation solo then on a cruise ship.

I found my comfort zone in the buffet on the first cruise and then I got braver and braver on the second and third and joined in on a table of 8.

Cruisers are a warm and friendly lot of folks. The staff onboard want you to be happy and have fun, everyone will go out of their way to see to your comfort. Allow them to assist you, keep the attitude that you've displayed here and you'll fall back in love with cruising, only now as a solo.

The single supplement sucks but it's still worth it.

Enjoy and I'm sorry that you find yourself in this position.

I have cruised many times and on different cruise lines as a single. The Maitre d' is your best friend. As others have suggested ask to join a large table at traditional dining. If by chance you get stuck with a group you have nothing in common with, ask to change tables. It is your cruise to enjoy dining not endure. Breakfast and lunch in MDR means you get seated with other people. Amazing how you then see those same people around the ship and have a chat. I have also done anytime dining, different people every night. Make sure you take your smile and all will be good.

Now solo why can't you still do anytime dining and tell them you want to share I'm going solo next year my husband doesn't like the long haul flights it will be a 30 hour haul from Australia. so that is what I will be doing any time dining and share I will be on the Coral Princess departing Fort Lauderdale on the 10thApril

NowSolo, I also would also like to add my sympathy for your loss. I was in a difficult situation a few years ago and I chose to take a cruise to get away. I have always done traditional dining even as a single and enjoy being with other people and always felt welcome. You will not be out of place as a single.

I was lucky on that cruise and met someone who liked dancing like myself and helped me get through what I was going through. We how have taken several cruises together even tho we live many miles apart.

If you go the "Roll Call" as was suggested you will meet other people and may find similar interests. I just finished a cruise and I organized what we call a "Meet & Greet" where there was a room assigned on the ship where other people from the CC roll call met and it was a time to meet other people and a chance to socialize. I encourage you to do this.

If there's anything that will help please ask.

Please enjoy your cruise and if you might cruise on Princess again remember to purchase a Furture Cruise Certificate which can be used as a deposit on a future cruise.

Tom:)

I think Pam has it right. If you do anytime you go through the introduction phase every single night. At best, that can be a bit boring, but if recently widowed the OP might be asked if he was married every night. A big table (and we often switch places through the week) at traditional allows you to get to know people better. While it is an effort o the first night its a breeze after that. I cruise with my sister most times, and sometimes my DH ad we have med great tablemates every cruise.

I also cruise solo. I do Anytime Dining, but usually have some people that I know to hook up with....not always. I like the flexibility.

I hope that you enjoy your cruise and find the perfect fit for you. Cruise Critic is a good start....there are so many experienced cruisers here with the best ideas.

It's not easy when you find yourself going it alone, but the main thing is to GO!

Alice

My husband is not in particulatily good health and I have often wondered what it would be like cruising alone. We have met a lot of solo travelers, most of whom seem quite happy. We have met some who enjoyed making quick new friends, others who did anytime dining at a table for one but who had lively conversations with neighbors..and this one woman who drank a half glass of Rex Goliath moscato every night while eating and reading her Kindle.

I wish you very well on your trip. And, OK, I know this is not something you are interested in yet, but one night I went back to our room while my husband was in the Princess Theater and two ladies asked if they could join him.

I hope you have a lovely time on your trip. I can only imagine that would make your wife very happy.

Hello Now Solo, we read your post & wanted to pass on our deepest sympathy to you on the loss of your beloved wife; please know her soul & energy will never leave; talk to her, just as you talk to people in person or these lovely people on here.

I've experienced both - sailing alone many times & more recently with a partner. All previous respondents have given wonderful input which we would have posted too; remember when you're by yourself, you are in control. If you try a seating/venue & don't feel comfortable, you can choose to leave, try something different next day & you don't owe anyone an explanation.

I agree with Pam's sentiments - when alone I chose the Traditional Dining as I got so tired of repeating the same info & being asked "Are you travelling alone?" every evening! I liked 6 or 8; not 10 as it also took so long to be served! Breakfast & lunch I liked to be alone so first day after sailing I'd line up to be one of the first & asked to be seated alone & saw the Head Waiter for that section & the table was kept for me, as I arrived early.

If you feel comfortable, it would be helpful speaking to Maître D' Day 1, explain you're recently widowed & after Night 1, if you'd like to change tables, he'll be able to get a feel for who's at his tables.

A personal suggestion you may find of comfort - take a photo of your lovely wife and you'll have her to hold to your heart if need be & gain strength & comfort as you cruise & continue your journey. Talk to her & you'll be guided. We both wish you peace, strength & draw from the beautiful memories you made. You are a beautiful person - openly reaching out is so admirable. God Bless you at this time. Let the wind blow on your face & take each day as it comes. You'll know what to do when you board the Princess. Sincerely, Rose & Mario

I lost my wife a few months ago, but haven't canceled an upcoming cruise we had planned. I called Princess and they know that she's passed away, so she's no longer on the reservation. I'll be fine on my own and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else just yet, even a Pal. She and I always did anytime dining, except for one cruise, our first, when she made me go Traditional. I still remember how she lit that table up...maybe I should have done that more.

But...does anyone know if a gentleman would seem odd going to a Traditional seating alone? I know I'd need to change my reservation to that. But, I can't be the only person sailing by myself. How does one dine in a main dining room when sailing alone?

This question seems so silly. And thank goodness it's anonymous, otherwise I would never tack it up.

This bulletin was very helpful to my better half over the years, and I thank everyone for your kindness. I just know she'd want me to ask for advice before boarding.

I'll also be OK if the buffet is where I should go. No one should be afraid to tell me that cold hard truth.

Cruising is wonderful. Enjoy it in good health.

Thank you, kindly.

Firstly I am so sorry for your loss.

Secondly it is not a silly question.

Normally they try and sit you with like people so you will not stand out I am sure that if she is anything like my darling your wife would want you to enjoy the cruise.

Enjoy and remember the good times you had on cruises with your wife.

I lost my wife a few months ago, but haven't canceled an upcoming cruise we had planned. I called Princess and they know that she's passed away, so she's no longer on the reservation. I'll be fine on my own and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else just yet, even a Pal. She and I always did anytime dining, except for one cruise, our first, when she made me go Traditional. I still remember how she lit that table up...maybe I should have done that more.

But...does anyone know if a gentleman would seem odd going to a Traditional seating alone? I know I'd need to change my reservation to that. But, I can't be the only person sailing by myself. How does one dine in a main dining room when sailing alone?

This question seems so silly. And thank goodness it's anonymous, otherwise I would never tack it up.

This bulletin was very helpful to my better half over the years, and I thank everyone for your kindness. I just know she'd want me to ask for advice before boarding.

I'll also be OK if the buffet is where I should go. No one should be afraid to tell me that cold hard truth.

Cruising is wonderful. Enjoy it in good health.

Thank you, kindly.

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm happy you decided to go on your cruise. No, your question is not silly; but one of the main concerns most singles/solo have when cruising. I just got off the Golden Princess as a solo cruiser. I did ATD. There are pro and cons for ATD and traditional. The pros for ATD: you can eat when you want and meet new and different people each night. When you go to the dining room tell the Maitr'd you wish to dine with others and they will place you at the table of 6 or 8. ATD gives you maximum flexibility - Con: you really don't get to know your table mates and you have to go thru the same repeated questions of where are you from, etc. The pro with traditional dining: you have the same table, same people, same waiter and fix dining time each night. This is great if you like to eat at the same time each night and like to get to know your table mates - Con: it is the least flexibility in dining and you could get stuck with a table of bores. You can always request a table change if needed.

So, you learn what's best for you by trial and error. Also with ATD if you meet people during the day and they have ATD you can ask if you could join them for dinner. Just don't be pushy because some people like to eat alone or may have other plans. But, most people are more than happy if you ask to join them.

Also, work with the Maitr'd and let him/her know any concerns you may have. They want you have a positive dining experience whether you are part of a large group, a couple, family or just traveling solo.

Lastly, from my experience every cruise is different and most of the time you have a good dining experience and sometimes for various reason not so much. It's the luck of the draw; but don't let that get you stop you from cruising. Always think positive and go with a smile on your face. There really isn't anything to worry about. Happy cruising.