Costal Kitchen Oasis of the Seas

STANMELB

I may be alone, but I think it's inappropriate for a complimentary dining venue to give you a receipt for the sole purpose of asking for a tip (I assume that they ask for your stateroom number when you check in and enter it into the computer, so that tracks usage). Coastal Kitchen is included in the cruise fare for suite and Pinnacle guests, as are the various complimentary dining venues, and I think it should be left to the individual to decide whether to tip an additional amount, not be pressured into it, just as one would do for complimentary beverages in the SL/CL/DL.

And no, I'm not a tip dodger, yes, I do tip an additional amount when the service is superb (as it generally is in all dining venues, or at least the crew make a herculean effort), but I don't see why this single venue is asking for more. Just sayin'.

You have valid points. They do ask your cabin number when you arrive for tracking. I didn't mind this system, as I am captive at that moment. I too am the type of person to search out those that give great service to say thanks. If there was no way to tip at that moment, I would have done it prior to disembarking the ship. Unfortunately, not everyone sees it the same way, and I think that is why they went with the slip. On a side note, when we had dinner there was a table with 14 or more guests.

When you prepay for Chops etc. you still get you a $0 bill with the gratuity line for extra tip and for those venues you have already prepaid gratuity prior to leaving home. To me, it doesn't seem much different than in the Costal Kitchen. Except there has been no prepaid gratuity for dinner in the Costal Kitchen, even though it is “free” to those able to use it.

Really tipping is up to the individual and if they want to do it is their own call.

I may be alone, but I think it's inappropriate for a complimentary dining venue to give you a receipt for the sole purpose of asking for a tip (I assume that they ask for your stateroom number when you check in and enter it into the computer, so that tracks usage). Coastal Kitchen is included in the cruise fare for suite and Pinnacle guests, as are the various complimentary dining venues, and I think it should be left to the individual to decide whether to tip an additional amount, not be pressured into it, just as one would do for complimentary beverages in the SL/CL/DL.

And no, I'm not a tip dodger, yes, I do tip an additional amount when the service is superb (as it generally is in all dining venues, or at least the crew make a herculean effort), but I don't see why this single venue is asking for more. Just sayin'.

Thank you for posting that. It explains why we received a zero balance receipt with every drink on FOS. We had the premium drink package and gratuities were included in the price of the package. Now, I understand, we got the zero balance receipt so we could tip extra. We just left a few dollars cash.

When you prepay for Chops etc. you still get you a $0 bill with the gratuity line for extra tip and for those venues you have already prepaid gratuity prior to leaving home. To me, it doesn't seem much different than in the Costal Kitchen. Except there has been no prepaid gratuity for dinner in the Costal Kitchen, even though it is “free” to those able to use it.

[/font]

I look at CK as an extension of the MDR, not the equivalent of a paid venue, where the receipt also shows that you got what you paid extra for. I guess that's why it bumps me that they give you a receipt - and I hope they're not going to start doing that in the MDR!:eek:

Anyway, it's a very nice-looking space, and I'm sure we'll spend quite a few meals in it next year on DH's Medicare cruise.:D

The waiters/bartenders/etc. are dedicated to the SL/CK and do not work anywhere else on the ship, therefore are not exposed to thousands of pax that might tip. They get their pool share and only what we users would give them

I liked the 0 balance slip as I do not need cash at the end, just added on the slip. There are no slips except for dinner, no slips at the bar/bar service, or on the SL side.

The service and presentation of the food is way above the rest of the ship, like one person said, once you sample 17 you won't go elsewhere. Every meal is cooked to order and if you want it cooked different or something else added , the staff, waiters, chef, don't say no.

The regular staff in the SL/CK deserve every penny they earn and MUCH MORE.

Nice pics Cindy

I look at CK as an extension of the MDR, not the equivalent of a paid venue, where the receipt also shows that you got what you paid extra for. I guess that's why it bumps me that they give you a receipt - and I hope they're not going to start doing that in the MDR!:eek:

Anyway, it's a very nice-looking space, and I'm sure we'll spend quite a few meals in it next year on DH's Medicare cruise.:D

The flat breads are great. The salad was too! I wish I had a chance to try all the main courses. I bet you will enjoy your time and will have lots of fun.:)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Dear A & L

Thanks for your picture above.

That is probably the closest I will get to ever seeing that suite.

Thanks again.

Sea Ya

Addendum:

Thanks for the pictures on preceeding page.

So suite lounge opened on boarding..................

HMMMMMMMMMMM nice.

Um, free beer and wine??????

Thanks again.

Edited by Lionesss

Dear A & L

Thanks for your picture above.

That is probably the closest I will get to ever seeing that suite.

Thanks again.

Sea Ya

Addendum:

Thanks for the pictures on preceeding page.

So suite lounge opened on boarding..................

HMMMMMMMMMMM nice.

Um, free beer and wine??????

Thanks again.

Yes, free wine and beer and open on embarkation day. I only wish they left the blender behind from the VCL days. ;) On disembarkation day they had a buffet set up with fruit, salmon, bagels, toast, croissants, turn overs, muffins etc... There was water, an expensive coffee machine, and a juice serving machine. We ate one breakfast at the Costal Kitchen and they had a nice selection of offerings that were very tasty.

As for the RS on the very last day they had some furniture in the cabin, but I didn't have a chance to get a photo. I did say hi to the workers that were in the cabin every day as we came and went. They had been on the ship since the transatlantic crossing and for a month after. I wasn't able to get pictures of the new aft GS cabins, but CC members have already stayed in them so they are pictures somewhere.

Glad to hear the pictures helped you out.

Andrew

I (plus family members) will be in an Owner's Suite. Rest of family will be next door in a Junior Suite. The two reservations are "linked". Food / excursion reservations I make will be for the entire family. Will the rest of the family (in the JS) be able to join the family for meals in Coastal Kitchen???

I (plus family members) will be in an Owner's Suite. Rest of family will be next door in a Junior Suite. The two reservations are "linked". Food / excursion reservations I make will be for the entire family. Will the rest of the family (in the JS) be able to join the family for meals in Coastal Kitchen???

Unfortunately not. Only GS and above as well as pinnacle members.

Edited by CaribSailor

They allowed this on a very limited basis on my November 15th cruise, but I think that's because they had just opened and weren't busy. I think as more people discover how good the restaurant and start switching reservations from the MDR to CK they'll stop allowing it.

I know RCI isn't known for their consistency, but I really don't see how they can allow extra passengers to eat in Coastal Kitchen. The restaurant just isn't big enough to accommodate all the suites & Pinnacles plus their travelling companions. If they make exceptions they'll have a mess on their hands.

They allowed this on a very limited basis on my November 15th cruise, but I think that's because they had just opened and weren't busy. I think as more people discover how good the restaurant and start switching reservations from the MDR to CK they'll stop allowing it.

I know RCI isn't known for their consistency, but I really don't see how they can allow extra passengers to eat in Coastal Kitchen. The restaurant just isn't big enough to accommodate all the suites & Pinnacles plus their travelling companions. If they make exceptions they'll have a mess on their hands.

On our sailing (11/29-12/6) there were 2 separate instances where a suite guest and pinnacle member tried to bring guests to coastal kitchen and were turned down. Once for breakfast and once for dinner. The hostess and Rami said this will not be allowed and there are no exceptions. Simply if you let one party do it you have to let everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our sailing (11/29-12/6) there were 2 separate instances where a suite guest and pinnacle member tried to bring guests to coastal kitchen and were turned down. Once for breakfast and once for dinner. The hostess and Rami said this will not be allowed and there are no exceptions. Simply if you let one party do it you have to let everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They probably stopped the week after us, which was Thanksgiving. I think they realized what a mess it would be if they made exceptions.

Edited by Cindy

You should ask this of the people running CK, in other words, go there after boarding.;)

Don't know how Oasis will run CK, but on Quantum, CK was only for Suite Guests and PC Members during breakfast and lunch. For dinner Suite Guests were allowed to bring guests.

Don't know how Oasis will run CK, but on Quantum, CK was only for Suite Guests and PC Members during breakfast and lunch. For dinner Suite Guests were allowed to bring guests.

Patti, do you know if there was an extra charge for the guests in CK?

You could always upgrade.:)

I just noticed you are on Indepence the week before us. Get her ready for our arrival.

The price that they're asking for a GS on our sailing is out of our reach (more than double what we're paying for a B1 Balcony) :( Maybe we'll get lucky and have the upgrade fairy visit...LOL

We'll take good care of Indy for you and will be sure not to drink up all of the good booze:D

Edited by 1ParticularHbr