Elevator etiquette?

Wj420

We cruised on a Costa ship out of Venice, lots of pushing and shoving in the muster drill and on the elevator.

My flight out of Milan one trip was the worst example of pushing and shoving and noone cared. I swore people were going to get trampled getting in line for busses to the plane. What's with the italians?

I was recently on a Summit cruise when a person in the back loudly proclaimed that people who only take the elevator one deck should walk!! She said it loud enough that the person getting off the elevator heard her. I turned around to her as I had just come from the medical facility and showed her my leg which was black & blue (from the ankle to the knee) due to a fall on a ship excursion (I was going from deck 1 to deck 8). I said that you do not know why they are only taking the elevator for one deck -- they might have specific reasons. That sure shut the person up.

Do not be too quick to judge other people - you do not always know their circumstances. I know that I got some 'looks' when only going a couple of decks on the elevator - I was just following the doctor's orders who I saw every other day as per the doctor's request.

We cruised on a Costa ship out of Venice, lots of pushing and shoving in the muster drill and on the elevator.

Make Celebrity issues pretty tame in comparison.

My flight out of Milan one trip was the worst example of pushing and shoving and noone cared. I swore people were going to get trampled getting in line for busses to the plane. What's with the italians?

Same goes for my RCI cruise out of Civitavecchia. It was the widest display of rude behavior I've ever seen on a cruise. Every person for themself. No sense of community. :rolleyes:

Proper elevator etiquette, as I was taught when I was MUCH younger:

1) When stopping on to an elevator, a man should board first. The reason being is that when elevators were first introduced they were highly unreliable and tended to drop easily. And while they have braking systems in place now and accidents are nearly zero, the old rule still applies. So a man should be first in order to protect his lady. :)

2) While riding a crowded/full elevator, if person from the back wishes to exit, as many people as needed should step off the elevator to allow them to exit. And then re-board in reverse order in how they stepped off.

3) In a crowded elevator, if you're next to the number pad, ask people which floor they want.

4) While waiting to board, if an elevator door opens in front of you, step back and allow anyone who wishes to exit room to do so. Then allow anyone who exited to allow someone off back on first, then proceed on to the elevator.

5) Anyone who needs assistance in walking (i.e. cane or crutches) or is in a wheelchair, let them on first, then see if there is room for you. If not, then wait for the next elevator.

6) If you have luggage, allow others on first who do not have luggage on first. Same rule applies as in #5.

7) If everyone has luggage, first to arrive should be the first on the elevator, regardless of which door opens. Stack the luggage if possible to allow more people on.

8) No food. Period.

9) No pushing and shoving.

10) Respect people's need for space if it's crowded.

These were rules that were drummed into me by my grandmother some 45 years ago. At that time I had never ridden an elevator until one summer that I stayed with her and visited her place of business. Those rules have always stuck with me (obviously!) and I've found no need to add any qualifiers in terms of "yeah, but I'm in a hurry". ;)

I was recently on a Summit cruise when a person in the back loudly proclaimed that people who only take the elevator one deck should walk!! She said it loud enough that the person getting off the elevator heard her. I turned around to her as I had just come from the medical facility and showed her my leg which was black & blue (from the ankle to the knee) due to a fall on a ship excursion (I was going from deck 1 to deck 8). I said that you do not know why they are only taking the elevator for one deck -- they might have specific reasons. That sure shut the person up.

Do not be too quick to judge other people - you do not always know their circumstances. I know that I got some 'looks' when only going a couple of decks on the elevator - I was just following the doctor's orders who I saw every other day as per the doctor's request.

Just like the disabled parking space at your local shopping center. Someone in a wheelchair is obvious. Someone with a severe heart condition is not.

If people are physically able, why don't they use the stairs? That's my approach, and I get additional exercise in the process.

Pushing and shoving to get on an elevator just to get to the buffet faster. How pathetic and sad.

And how does anyone know if a person is physically able or not?

Proper elevator etiquette, as I was taught when I was MUCH younger:

1) When stopping on to an elevator, a man should board first. The reason being is that when elevators were first introduced they were highly unreliable and tended to drop easily. And while they have braking systems in place now and accidents are nearly zero, the old rule still applies. So a man should be first in order to protect his lady. :)

2) While riding a crowded/full elevator, if person from the back wishes to exit, as many people as needed should step off the elevator to allow them to exit. And then re-board in reverse order in how they stepped off.

3) In a crowded elevator, if you're next to the number pad, ask people which floor they want.

4) While waiting to board, if an elevator door opens in front of you, step back and allow anyone who wishes to exit room to do so. Then allow anyone who exited to allow someone off back on first, then proceed on to the elevator.

5) Anyone who needs assistance in walking (i.e. cane or crutches) or is in a wheelchair, let them on first, then see if there is room for you. If not, then wait for the next elevator.

6) If you have luggage, allow others on first who do not have luggage on first. Same rule applies as in #5.

7) If everyone has luggage, first to arrive should be the first on the elevator, regardless of which door opens. Stack the luggage if possible to allow more people on.

8) No food. Period.

9) No pushing and shoving.

10) Respect people's need for space if it's crowded.

These were rules that were drummed into me by my grandmother some 45 years ago. At that time I had never ridden an elevator until one summer that I stayed with her and visited her place of business. Those rules have always stuck with me (obviously!) and I've found no need to add any qualifiers in terms of "yeah, but I'm in a hurry". ;)

Good Rules... Pretty much the ones I was taught (my Mother was an Elevator Operator / "Elevator Girl" in the 1940s... A very prestigious job at the time for a woman)

IMO, these Rules are still relative

Even # 1 ;) - Man can "hold back" the door in case it suddenly starts to close on the lady (see that happen way too often)

I do think tho that there are several reasons why these issues come to the forefront on Cruise Ships

1- Even tho elevators are common place now, they are not something that the majority use everyday or even regularly (escalators are more the norm in places like Shopping Malls etc)

2- The Stairs might be "right there" on a cruise ship, but elevators are for many the perceived "easiest" means to go from deck to deck... Be it 1 or 15

3- People are on vacation... They tend to be a bit "spacey"... Their minds being elsewhere. So ya not uncommon to see someone step off and be disoriented... Lol and just STOP in their tracks

I agree there have been people who appear rude or do inappropriate things, and as much as I'd like to yell at them / say something... More often than not I take it for what it is... Just not that aware. In which case an "I'm sorry" to get by them / around them... Usually works. I don't have to be rude too just cause they appear clueless

If I got on the elevator, and there was a lone kid / person aboard, and every button pushed... I would be ticked, but I would not know for sure if they did it... So I would have to make a choice... Stay on "wow unplanned ship tour", or get off and make another choice to get where I want to go.

On the otherhand, if a kid(s) got onto the elevator and then proceeded to push all the buttons in front of me... You are darn sure I am going to speak up. Would not be out to make them cry, but certainly let them know their behavior is not appropriate and unkind to others who need the elevator to get somewhere (making others wait while they have their "bit of fun" at their expense... Not cool)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I agree. I work with accessibility needs in office buildings and i know your frustration. I too hate the hop on hop off next floor as well. People do it at work all the time. Elevators are for everyone but priority should be given to those who have no chioce but to use them. Besides. We are on freaken vacation. Where the heck does one need to go in such a hurry? The buffet? It will still be there when you arrive 2-5 minutes late.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

I have MS and always walk with a cane. When I am particularly fatigued I use a wheel chair. I have yet to go a single day on a cruise without having my cane kicked out from under me by people pushing their way into the elevators. On days when I am in a wheel chair we just wait for crowds to thin out to get onto an elevator. And for those who are in wheelchairs or scooters or use walkers, etc...do NOT go to the back of the elevator. People CAN walk around you! More than once I have been wheeled onto an empty elevator and pushed all the way to the back...as more people got in, the person who was pushing my wheel chair was practically knocked over by people not realizing I was in front of him.

My 81 year old mom uses a scooter for long distances (on oxygen for COPD) and has multiple other health issues. For the most part (think 80/20 rule) people are courteous and step aside to allow us on the elevator. We try to use the elevators during off times since it gets crazy near feeding time at the zoo (mostly lunch and dinner). It takes a little extra planning but has been well worth it to ease her concerns and frustrations....and I think we saved a few toes along the way.

Then there is disembarkation....all bets are off, last man standing survives. I always book a late flight when traveling with mom as to avoid the craziness. Little did I know mean and crazy people stay on the ship later too...lol.

on our last cruise I was able to grab an empty elevator when everyone got off to head to breakfast. Well it began to fill as it went two flights down. I asked this large group boarding to save space for my mom, that she was disabled and on a scooter. Picture the florida based elderly group with matching t-shirts..well, this crabby old man with a cane pushed me aside as his gang entered the elevator. The verbal insults were ridiculous...

Needless to say when we arrived to the floor where my mom was, she was greeted with a relatively full elevator. She was so upset (almost in tears) when the rude gang told her not to get on...by this point i was one angry woman!! I told my mom they will to move their feet as soon as you start to move...I told her to ram them if she has too...low and behold as she scooted into the elevator they parted like the damn sea. As we descended to the library area where we wanted to wait until 930-945 am, the mouthy old man kept at it...I am not one to hold my toungue so it was an interesting ride.

When I arrived home some CC friends were posting on CC about the rude elderly passengers on our cruise...it became one of those legendary cc threads :D. Mom and I still laugh at how the group made room for us:o

I really wish disabled passengers had dedicated elevators with special key card access.

Well, I leave in 2.5 weeks for Reflection with 2 scooter users in tow...my mom and my sister who has MS...I am sure the last day will be a blast;)

PS watch your toes.

Edited by H2OH!

As we can all see, we all have our own rules for the elevator. I think we can clearly take from this that being polite and kind is a great start. We can all agree that we cannot say 100% who requires the use if the elevator and who does not other than our own conditions. So it really starts with us. If you need to use the elevator, please do. If you just want to use it, be kind and polite. And if you have no need for the elevator, use the stairs.

We are all on vacation to have a good time. We can all help make this happen by treating others as we would like to be treated. Sure there will be jerks and trolls, but take pride in knowing you are making an effort and know that if you hold that elevator for someone or let someone board before you, it will most likely make them happier and hopefully yourself included.

As we can all see, we all have our own rules for the elevator. I think we can clearly take from this that being polite and kind is a great start. We can all agree that we cannot say 100% who requires the use if the elevator and who does not other than our own conditions. So it really starts with us. If you need to use the elevator, please do. If you just want to use it, be kind and polite. And if you have no need for the elevator, use the stairs.

We are all on vacation to have a good time. We can all help make this happen by treating others as we would like to be treated. Sure there will be jerks and trolls, but take pride in knowing you are making an effort and know that if you hold that elevator for someone or let someone board before you, it will most likely make them happier and hopefully yourself included.

WELL, Kumbaya!

Have been there. I still remember one night shortly after my husband had serious knee surgery. His doctor did not want him walking long distances, and we had a temporary disability tag for our car. We parked in the handicapped spot and walked slowly into the restaurant (but he did not limp) and got taken to task by a table of folks in the restaurant. I had to bite my tongue to civilly tell them to MYOB. Some of the really hostile posts on this thread assume bad intentions. Sometimes you just don't know the whole story. Sometimes someone is just caught up in the moment and doesn't mean to be rude. Sometimes people are rude and inconsiderate to people in scooters or wheelchairs, and sometimes people in scooters and wheelchairs will run you over without a second thought. I've seen both scenarios. The truly rude are few. They certainly exist but I think most people are kind at heart and just suffer from occasional blips of thoughtlessness.

My 81 year old mom uses a scooter for long distances (on oxygen for COPD) and has multiple other health issues. For the most part (think 80/20 rule) people are courteous and step aside to allow us on the elevator. We try to use the elevators during off times since it gets crazy near feeding time at the zoo (mostly lunch and dinner). It takes a little extra planning but has been well worth it to ease her concerns and frustrations....and I think we saved a few toes along the way.

Then there is disembarkation....all bets are off, last man standing survives. I always book a late flight when traveling with mom as to avoid the craziness. Little did I know mean and crazy people stay on the ship later too...lol.

on our last cruise I was able to grab an empty elevator when everyone got off to head to breakfast. Well it began to fill as it went two flights down. I asked this large group boarding to save space for my mom, that she was disabled and on a scooter. Picture the florida based elderly group with matching t-shirts..well, this crabby old man with a cane pushed me aside as his gang entered the elevator. The verbal insults were ridiculous...

Needless to say when we arrived to the floor where my mom was, she was greeted with a relatively full elevator. She was so upset (almost in tears) when the rude gang told her not to get on...by this point i was one angry woman!! I told my mom they will to move their feet as soon as you start to move...I told her to ram them if she has too...low and behold as she scooted into the elevator they parted like the damn sea. As we descended to the library area where we wanted to wait until 930-945 am, the mouthy old man kept at it...I am not one to hold my toungue so it was an interesting ride.

When I arrived home some CC friends were posting on CC about the rude elderly passengers on our cruise...it became one of those legendary cc threads :D. Mom and I still laugh at how the group made room for us:o

I really wish disabled passengers had dedicated elevators with special key card access.

Well, I leave in 2.5 weeks for Reflection with 2 scooter users in tow...my mom and my sister who has MS...I am sure the last day will be a blast;)

PS watch your toes.

Your mistake was taking matters into your own hands.

Sorry, but no passenger has the right to "reserve" an elevator.

You should have asked a crew/officer to assist you and your mother. They are there to help mobility restricted passengers.

My 2 Cents

Sensitive stuff- :eek:

Its page 4 of this subject title before I saw it Would you believe that is my belief that elevator (lift) etiquette should be taught at elementary schools - its lacking everywhere I go on cruises or off:rolleyes: Heads down and texting is the next (here already) thing to come.

:mad::eek::)

I was on three cruises earlier this year, two RCCL and one HAL. All from Sydney to NZ, New Caledonia, and then on to Seattle.

I compared notes with another woman on the elevetor late in the HAL cruise, wanting to make sure I wasn't just cranky, and she agreed the NZ/Aussie men were the WORST for impatience and rudeness. I experienced some jaw-dropping behavior on elevators, through swinging doors, and geting on/off tour vans with these guys.

Both sexes from NZ act like they have never been on an elevator before. We heard unending complaints about having to actually stop at other floors before they got to "their" floor. And, forget about anyone moving to the back of the elevator; not happening. I told my husband after the Sydney/NZ cruise that I think they all came from places that didn't have elevators!!

Bad elevator etiquette has long been a pet peeve of mine. I will bodily block people from getting on if there is a scooter or walker involved with another passenger. We have very elderly parents with mobility issues, and it's a sore point with us.

If we are in the front of the elevator and someone tries to squeeze on, my husband looks at them (he has a very intimidating look on his face just naturally, poor dear) and tells them there is NO more room!

He was on an elevator on one embarkation day when a 12 year old was pushing the close button every time we got to a floor, so the poor waiting people couldn't get on, and he could get to the buffet faster. Finally, after 2 floors my husband leaned down, and calmly told him, "son, most people push that close button AFTER people get on the elevator". He stopped doing it.

Edited by pcur

This is the truth, I swear to it:

Our last cruise was Holland last Feb. They played the marriage game in the show lounge near the end of the cruise. They asked where was the most unusual place you made whoopee. Honest, they answered "in the front elevator during the cruise we were on". This was not a young couple. Others at the show said that explained why the elevator was out of order for a bit that day. They had stopped it, for their fun.

Gross:eek: I've taken the stairs every since.

This is the truth, I swear to it:

Our last cruise was Holland last Feb. They played the marriage game in the show lounge near the end of the cruise. They asked where was the most unusual place you made whoopee. Honest, they answered "in the front elevator during the cruise we were on". This was not a young couple. Others at the show said that explained why the elevator was out of order for a bit that day. They had stopped it, for their fun.

Gross:eek: I've taken the stairs every since.

Once a VERY drunk guy actually urinated on the wall at the back of the 1/2 full elevator we were on.... :eek::eek:

I'm not kidding.

Once a VERY drunk guy actually urinated on the wall at the back of the 1/2 full elevator we were on.... :eek::eek:

I'm not kidding.

OMG, you just reminded me of another story......................

Last family cruise, my oldest son (in his 30's) got really bored on a sea day and had just too many beers that day. He didn't realize how far gone he was, but when he came to dinner (formal night, and dressed up) he was saying things like "they pay you to be nice to people, don't they" to the head waiter. Talk about mortified.

I quietly got him up and told him he was going back to his cabin. By the time we got to the elevator, he agreed he was bad off. Well, we got on this elevator with about 5 other people. My son, who is 6'4" and I walked on. I didn't attempt to turn him around, but he was swaying. All these people took one look at the swaying big guy and simultaneously took two steps back. The look on their faces was, "if he's gonna go down, it's not gonna be on ME!".

He slept it off, and apologized to EVERYONE in the dining room the next night.

Your mistake was taking matters into your own hands.

Sorry, but no passenger has the right to "reserve" an elevator.

You should have asked a crew/officer to assist you and your mother. They are there to help mobility restricted passengers.

My 2 Cents

I was not reserving (other passengers were already on). Crew are no help on disembarkation...they are focused on getting folks off.... Just sharing my story...not needing any lectures on what I should have done.

Edited by H2OH!

I was not reserving (other passengers were already on). Crew are no help on disembarkation...they are focused on getting folks off.... Just sharing my story...not needing any lectures on what I should have done.

Sorry

Not a lecture, my observation of bad behaviours on elevators.

You can not take on the job of elevator captain on the busiest time of the cruise

Ps having been in exactly the same position 25 years ago with a wheel chair parent who needed assit off, ask.

Edited by A Sixth?

I actually had no issues on the Summit a few weeks ago -- and was shocked. Elevator issues exist everywhere, with people feeling more and more entitled to 'get all they can' and to hell with everyone else. Most are polite, but the few think only of thier oen rights and needs and don't worry that they are stomping on others good time. I will say that the elevators were only reall packed on port days as groups were getting back on, and even then only the midship ones (we always seemed to use 1st floor, midship for the gangway). The ones at the front and back were almost always empty when I went to use them, exception being show break. Even dinner was not an issue. It was a elevator-stressless week!

Btw. That is reserving