Is RCI planning any new ports of call, or new itineraries?

ivanrocko

I must say Royal loves repetition, I do not. So that's why I have to disregard loyalty every now and then. Guatemala is next door to Belize which is across from Honduras, Venezuela is very close to Curacao, and Grenada is in the neighborhood. These are places that have/are servicing cruise ships. Those are just a few possibilities, but heck, who's listening. Helloooo RCL. All jokes aside, I realize change takes time and I truly hope RCL has some in the works.

Thanks for the geography lesson. They go north from Florida for transatlantic too. Doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about this time

This time? Surely you jest, or you aren't familiar with her posts.:) Not to worry though, as she never responds to anyone's critiques or to corrections of her misinformation.

We would LOVE to go to Havana. Hopefully Cuba will become accessible to Americans before we reach our personal expiration date.

I would think this would happen in near future given todays news, we have talk to some Europeans that have cruised Cuba in the past

Yes, some more varied itineraries are desperately needed. In my opinion it doesn't necessarily need to be about creating new ports of call - just visit the ones that already exist. For instance, more stops in St. Kitts, BVI, Antigua, Martinique, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada etc. There's more to the Caribbean than the half dozen islands that 95% of RCCL cruises stop at. Some of these islands are obviously not an option for Oasis class ships but it seems Voyager class (and maybe the Freedom class) and smaller could do some of these ports.

The desire to explore new islands was what led us to our first cruise on Carnival. Really hoping RCCL freshens up their itineraries. :D

You may want to do a more extensive review of the ports of call visited by RCI ships. Our Brilliance repositioning cruises from Boston to Tampa regularly stop in St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Barbados and this April, Serenade will visit Bonaire enroute to Boston from New Orleans. We have visited Antigua, Martinique, Grenada, Curacao, St. Croix, on several RCI cruises in past years. Not every cruise is St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan or Nassau.

We would LOVE to go to Havana. Hopefully Cuba will become accessible to Americans before we reach our personal expiration date.

Todays new headlines would indicate that USA relations with Cuba might be thawing and that would mean Cuba would a possible port.. I think a fascinating one as well.

Carnival is trying Trinidad and Tobago. Hopefully Royal will go there as well.

I've heard people enjoy Turk and Cacos(sp), but few itineraries go there. It seems RC occasionally goes to another port in the Dominican Republic something with an "s"? I didn't hear to many good things. RC basically created a new port for us Fallmouth, I'll keep an open mind as first cruise going there since the port opened is coming up.

When I reach Diamond, I would consider a X cruise that goes to a couple of different areas.

I would think this would happen in near future given todays news, we have talk to some Europeans that have cruised Cuba in the past

When this has come up over the past few years here, its been said Fidel didn't want anything to do with cruise ships and the garbage they leave behind. Of course when he left office, we got another Castro. (I have no knowledge of what non-american cruise lines stop there if any) I wonder if Bay of Pigs has nice beaches?

DH and I have not been cruising as long as most of you, but we are already choosing our cruises based on different ports. We have one with Costa Maya and Cozumel booked as well as a longer one on the Serenade out of Ft. Lauderdale which included Dominica as well as Tortola and Antigua as well as a few classic ports. It would be nice to have more (and longer) cruises that could also go to Belize, Costa Rico and Honduras out of Florida. We don't mind doing B2B but we prefer 10 to 14 days in one cruise.

I would also like to see some different departure ports. Charleston would be lovely for Bermuda. I would like to try New Orleans. I know they have some out of New Orleans but has been difficult to mesh my schedule with theirs. Galveston is just hard to get to from the East Coast.

I would prefer to be cruising than having the 35 degrees and rain we are having today

I've heard people enjoy Turk and Cacos(sp), but few itineraries go there. It seems RC occasionally goes to another port in the Dominican Republic something with an "s"? I didn't hear to many good things. RC basically created a new port for us Fallmouth, I'll keep an open mind as first cruise going there since the port opened is coming up.

When I reach Diamond, I would consider a X cruise that goes to a couple of different areas.

Are you thinking of Samana, Dominican Republic? I went on a 9 night from Bayonne on the Explorer in February 2013, and it was one of our ports of call. It was a really interesting place, and the zipline excursion was one of the best excursions I have experienced. Perhaps we just got lucky with weather and our tour!

Edited by DJan07

Yes, some more varied itineraries are desperately needed. In my opinion it doesn't necessarily need to be about creating new ports of call - just visit the ones that already exist. For instance, more stops in St. Kitts, BVI, Antigua, Martinique, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada etc. There's more to the Caribbean than the half dozen islands that 95% of RCCL cruises stop at. Some of these islands are obviously not an option for Oasis class ships but it seems Voyager class (and maybe the Freedom class) and smaller could do some of these ports.

The desire to explore new islands was what led us to our first cruise on Carnival. Really hoping RCCL freshens up their itineraries. :D

RC does go to these ports. You have to look for the Southern Caribbean cruises. For example the Legend of the Seas 2/6 goes to Tortola, St. Kitts, Dominica, Antigua and St. Martin.

We've been to all the ports you mentioned several times in the past 3 years with RC.

people! you forget the logistics of new ports/itineraries. How much fuel will be spent getting there, what is the port infrastructure like (will it be able to handle thousands of people), what is the condition of the port (deep enough? will the gov't dredge? secure? qualified personnel to handle the lines?), availability of shore excursions (safe?)...and cruisers are so fickle. You holler for a new port, then when only a Vision class ship can do it, you holler you want one of the newer bigger ships for it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The big boys go where they go because those ports are the only ones close enough (fuel economy) and safe enough to do so (port conditions).

people! you forget the logistics of new ports/itineraries. How much fuel will be spent getting there, what is the port infrastructure like (will it be able to handle thousands of people), what is the condition of the port (deep enough? will the gov't dredge? secure? qualified personnel to handle the lines?), availability of shore excursions (safe?)...and cruisers are so fickle. You holler for a new port, then when only a Vision class ship can do it, you holler you want one of the newer bigger ships for it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The big boys go where they go because those ports are the only ones close enough (fuel economy) and safe enough to do so (port conditions).

Respectfully..."so what?" That's the companies problem. I don't need to worry about logistics or fuel economy. As guests we're allowed to have opinions on more varied ports of call. Some itineraries cost more, so be it.

Well, Cuba is closer than Jamaica and Grand Cayman (heck, it's literally in the way of those ports), and the port in Havana is a huge deepwater port that could easily accommodate the Oasis class (they're building a new cruise ship terminal as well that's designed to accommodate post-panamax ships).

Are you thinking of Samana, Dominican Republic? I went on a 9 night from Bayonne on the Explorer in February 2013, and it was one of our ports of call. It was a really interesting place, and the zipline excursion was one of the best excursions I have experienced. Perhaps we just got lucky with weather and our tour!

That is the port I was talking about. I've only seen a couple of reviews that mentioned it so I'm always watching for info. Thanks.

people! you forget the logistics of new ports/itineraries. How much fuel will be spent getting there,

Next up in Royals line of innovative cruise ships a Nuclear Powered ship capable of 44 knots. 7 day cruises out of New York to the southern Caribbean.

Ok, I didn't do the math, but a ship capable of 40 knots may not have to drastically alter itineraries when they lose one azipod! :)