First cruise on Riviera

alexandra cruiser

We were on this Riviera cruise as well.

We went to the Horizons. While it is not that close to the exit, there is lots of room there to accommodate many passengers and we were practically alone there; and the elevator was always empty when it arrived at floor 15 :D

If one truly waits there (or other such public space) until your color is called, then you should not have this problem because they won't call the next color until it can be accommodated. When we were called, we did stand in a short line that moved well - it took no more than 5 minutes of standing in line. (granted, we were in n o hurry and were in the last group).

just what we did on our Riviera cruise. Sat very comfortably in Horizons. Waited for our colour to be called and then went down. No hassle, no worries!

Yes -- if everyone had stayed away from the debarkation area, it would have been easier for those that were disembarking to get to the exit. We know what it is like to be in a rush to get off of the ship but people should still sit in an out of the way place and wait for our color to be called. The gridlock caused by passengers was unbelievable. Also, after the 8:00 a.m. rush to get downstairs with your luggage, the elevators were clear -- there should have been no reason for people to go up or down stairs with luggage.

Agree that there should have been more announcements. Also think it would be a good idea to have the seating sections closest to the exit be designated "handicapped only".

Also think it would be a good idea to have the seating sections closest to the exit be designated "handicapped only".

That still could be 50% of the ship.

Where was the CD during all of this time. certainly he could be doing some supervision..

That still could be 50% of the ship.

Where was the CD during all of this time. certainly he could be doing some supervision..

CD was making the announcements and fortunately, disabled people were not 50% of the ship.

Supervision is impossible at that point - would you like to be the one trying to send 100's of people from the disembarkation area back to their seating area (with their luggage)?

Good luck!

They should have stayed away from there until called - as instructed. Disembarkation was anticipated to start at 8 AM but it didn't start till later (?customs/immigration delay - whatever delay). If everyone stayed seated and away from the exit until called they would not have been stuck standing and waiting to exit from before 8 AM.

People lined up anticipating being able to exit exactly at 8. In that respect they DID disobey the instructions which clearly stated to be seated and wait till you are called (whatever time that may be and it may not be the time that it was anticipated or requested due to circumstances out of their control).

Not a rocket science.

Edited by Paulchili

Our solution, whenever possible, is to leave the ship as late as possible. Head for the main dining room which will be quiet and relaxed. Have a really nice breakfast, including the lamb chops. Then leave the ship about 9am and catch a taxi to local hotel.

One trick for day of arrival and last day is to carry as little as possible with you. It's a lot easier to relax in a quiet location while waiting for your cabin number or color to be called if you aren't dragging around a lot of hand luggage.

Mary

The 2 poster s who had less difficulty admitted in LATE group,,,9am.and in no hurry. Sadly MANY were in FIRST group and IN A HURRY.

Why were you in a hurry

you know everyone will be off by 9 or 9:30 am

what could possible be so important you had to be off at 8am :eek:

Schedule flights or pick-up accordingly as Paul said it is not rocket science

Why were you in a hurry

Especially for someone living in Florida :)

CD was making the announcements and fortunately, disabled people were not 50% of the ship.

Supervision is impossible at that point - would you like to be the one trying to send 100's of people from the disembarkation area back to their seating area (with their luggage)?

Good luck!

They should have stayed away from there until called - as instructed. Disembarkation was anticipated to start at 8 AM but it didn't start till later (?customs/immigration delay - whatever delay). If everyone stayed seated and away from the exit until called they would not have been stuck standing and waiting to exit from before 8 AM.

People lined up anticipating being able to exit exactly at 8. In that respect they DID disobey the instructions which clearly stated to be seated and wait till you are called (whatever time that may be and it may not be the time that it was anticipated or requested due to circumstances out of their control).

Not a rocket science.

I do not understand. Having been on this ship twice and always the disembarkation is a total disaster. Where is the CD, where is the staff, where is the GM.. Just POOR ship management. Yes you can control the passengers -- it is easy, just institute some realistic procedures like they do with tenders. No different... I have been on Allure and Oasis -- never any issues with this -- why -- because they manage it!!

Likely Alexandra was in the first group with Carry-off only. On our last trip in Istanbul -- they clearly said carry-off first then they would call people until the luggage is ready. Of course there were tons of people waiting in the hall later waiting for their luggage -- duh...

Edited by PaulMCO

We haven't been on Riviera yet but we HAVE been on Marina three times. We usually leave the ship around 9am. Since we never leave for home immediately from the ship, we aren't in a rush to get to a hotel.

The only time there was a departure problem was in Rio which had the tremendous kind of people backlog being discussed here. The other two departures (Istanbul and Dover) went like clockwork. In Rio the main problem was that we were docked quite a distance from the terminal, and so they had shuttles picking people up. Unfortunately they only carried 8-10 people in each one, and it took time getting the hand luggage into the van. So the reasons for the delays were obvious.

But the Managing Director was out there loading the luggage into the vans with the rest of the crew.

Mura

When i booked our flight from Barcelona to Switzerland for the end of our up - coming cruise on Riviera the Swiss morning flight was at 0945. I thought about it - one hour prior check in, travel to the airport etc and realised that making that flight would be tight. Tight even if we docked on time, cleared customs etc on time and got off the ship at 0800. So what did I do? Booked a hotel for the night in Barcelona and the flight for the following morning. After all, with the money one spends on a 14 night cruise what in comparison does a hotel room cost? And this takes out all the "agony factor". We will vacate our room by 0800. Have breakfast. Wait in Horizons and leave whenwe are called. And thensee Barcelona - or those bits of it we want to see again! Honestly i do not understand the rush to get off the ship OR not making the appropriate flight arrangments that work with the expected docking time...

Why were you in a hurry

Oh, that's a GOOD one,now I am attacked for wanting to leave ship at time(or close to)I signed up for?

It never ceases to amaze me how so many always fall back on attacking the OP who makes some complaints.

Not just this board,but many others.

It s just really so sad,and not called for.

PS.to let you busybodies know, I DID HAVE A REASON to be off ship early, had found out my house was flooded that am.But that s of no consequence,but thought you might like to know since your SO CONCERNED why someone for FL .might want to leave ON TIME.WHEW........give it a rest.

Oh, that's a GOOD one,now I am attacked for wanting to leave ship at time(or close to)I signed up for?

It never ceases to amaze me how so many always fall back on attacking the OP who makes some complaints.

If you perceived this was an attack which it was not .. you have bigger issues

When you filled out the disembarkation time a few days earlier did you ask for the early time slot? according to your statement you only found out that morning your home was flooded

Sorry to hear about your home ... 1 hr difference the house would still be flooded

Edited by LHT28

PS.to let you busybodies know, I DID HAVE A REASON to be off ship early, had found out my house was flooded that am.But that s of no consequence,but thought you might like to know since your SO CONCERNED why someone for FL .might want to leave ON TIME.WHEW........give it a rest.

Hope I did not come across as attacking you. I feel that if 95% of the passengers had not congregated on decks 5 and 6 creating the gridlock, that passengers such as yourself could have disembarked more easily once the announcements were made. Hope the flood was not as bad as you thought it was.

When i booked our flight from Barcelona to Switzerland for the end of our up - coming cruise on Riviera the Swiss morning flight was at 0945. I thought about it - one hour prior check in, travel to the airport etc and realised that making that flight would be tight. Tight even if we docked on time, cleared customs etc on time and got off the ship at 0800. So what did I do? Booked a hotel for the night in Barcelona and the flight for the following morning. After all, with the money one spends on a 14 night cruise what in comparison does a hotel room cost? And this takes out all the "agony factor". We will vacate our room by 0800. Have breakfast. Wait in Horizons and leave whenwe are called. And thensee Barcelona - or those bits of it we want to see again! Honestly i do not understand the rush to get off the ship OR not making the appropriate flight arrangments that work with the expected docking time...

I agree to a point, but not everyone has unlimited funds and time on their hands. Sometimes it is a once in a lifetime experience and people are at the maximum of their budget and annual leave.

I agree to a point, but not everyone has unlimited funds and time on their hands. Sometimes it is a once in a lifetime experience and people are at the maximum of their budget and annual leave.

Let's put it another way

Do NOT plan on getting off the ship before 9 am then if you do get off earlier it is extra time you have to make the flights

Sometimes things do not go according to your plans

In terms of the elevators. While nothing can be done about it, throughout the cruise I did feel that the Riviera needed more elevators. We are used to ships carrying 700 passengers having eight elevators (4 aft and 4 forward). The Riviera, with 1250(?) people has only six elevators. ...

Jackie, I believe you're mistaken, if you're talking about Voyager, for instance. That ship does not have eight elevators.

Jackie, I believe you're mistaken, if you're talking about Voyager, for instance. That ship does not have eight elevators.

Oops - you are right. I kept envisioning eight instead of six -- same as the Mariner. I stand corrected and still think that the Riviera should have had 8 - especially since 3 dining venues are on upper decks.

Mariner only has two lifts in the rear as well... I checked the deck plan.

the only solution is - if you can - walk. Which at the end of the day is a good thing on Oceania. But by no means everyone can do this. In an ideal world there would be 4 lifts front and rear (in fact I don't see why there aren't) but you have to deal with what there is. One can take a lift down and wait to come back up. That is not a bad solution and I have used this quite often.

In an ideal world there would be 4 lifts front and rear (in fact I don't see why there aren't)

If you're really interested in why, it probably has to do with structure. The engines, as well as the kitchens are at the back of the ship, and between air vents, smoke chimneys, goods lifts, dumbwaiters etc, space back there is at a premium.

cracked_ship.jpg

Ships with too many large openings cut into their steel can be problematic down the line...

Delondin --I do not find this a very fair comment. I do NOT have unlimited funds - I save hard for every cruise I take. Which is why I do not cruise a lot... Annual leave is not an issue since I am retired but being retired doesn't mean you do not have other obligations and need to measure carefully the number if days you can be away from home.

ALL I was trying to say is rather than stress at the end of a lovely cruise on which you have spent quite a lot of money you want to remained unstressed for as long as possible which includes not have to race through an airport and possibly miss a flight home. And if that means adding a couple of hundred CHF or USD to the overall bill - I think it is well worth it.

Delondin --I do not find this a very fair comment. I do NOT have unlimited funds - I save hard for every cruise I take. Which is why I do not cruise a lot... Annual leave is not an issue since I am retired but being retired doesn't mean you do not have other obligations and need to measure carefully the number if days you can be away from home.

ALL I was trying to say is rather than stress at the end of a lovely cruise on which you have spent quite a lot of money you want to remained unstressed for as long as possible which includes not have to race through an airport and possibly miss a flight home. And if that means adding a couple of hundred CHF or USD to the overall bill - I think it is well worth it.

It is so worth it. Flying these days is not fun even up front and the hassle and rush can wash away the rest and calm achieved on a cruise.