Cruises to Cuba

ehfl

It looks like there will be changes in the Cuba travel ban. What do you think? Will there be cruises to Cuba soon? This could be a big boost to US based cruise lines. Short trips mean lower fuel costs. The island is huge with beaches, mountains, diving and snorkeling, and lots to do.

Here is an article from when Thomson Dream called on Cuba. Not as large as Vision Class ships. However, the interesting part of the article to note is that they had 100K visitors in 2005 before RCI purchased Pullmantur. What was the Pullmantur fleet like then? Nothing specifically indicates to me that there are no Cuban ports that can handle modern mid-sized ships; but it is a really interesting question to research and I know very limited amounts on the topic.

A Holiday-class Carnival ship of around 47K tons is rumoured to be the replacement for the stricken Bahamas Celebration ship and will run out of Palm Beach. That should fit anywhere the Thomson Dream does.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40934819/ns/travel-cruise_travel/t/massive-cruise-ship-docks-cuba-amid-fanfare/#.VJGZbsmOfKU

I think it's time we squared things away with Cuba and allow Americans to travel there for regular vacations and cruises. Just remember that it will take a 2/3 vote of congress to make this possible. Don't hold your breath for now.

Next month we'll be porting (docked, not tendered) in Havana on Thomson Dream :)

55,000 tonnes, 1500 pax.

And I'm pretty certain the port can handle larger.

Most CC members will be aware that the US currently has an embargo on ships calling at Cuba - I think the way it's implemented is that any cruise ship (don't know about freighters) which visits Cuba is refused permission to visit US soil (or is it waters?) for the next six months.

JB :)

HI all!

There is a ship that circumnavigates Cuba already, departing from Montego Bay or Havana. A Canadian company called Your Cuba Cruise is chartering the Louis Cristal for the 2nd winter. The ship was formerly the NCL Leeward.

The ship just finished it's trans Atlantic journey & is headed to Mo Bay to begin the season. It's a lovely ship, a beautiful interesting island & we're going again in a couple of months.:D

Hope things change so Americans can go to Cuba legally as a lot seem to be interested in doing so.

~ Jo ~ :)

Next month we'll be porting (docked, not tendered) in Havana on Thomson Dream :)

55,000 tonnes, 1500 pax.

And I'm pretty certain the port can handle larger.

Most CC members will be aware that the US currently has an embargo on ships calling at Cuba - I think the way it's implemented is that any cruise ship (don't know about freighters) which visits Cuba is refused permission to visit US soil (or is it waters?) for the next six months.

Have a great time, Cuba is beautiful and still not overrun with tourists. At the moment. :)

I would love to go to Cuba......and experience the culture of this island...I do realize it would be thru a tourist eyes but still.

What news stories that do leak out show a "retro" modern style country.............due to all the government restrictions imposed on them..

Sign me up

Sea Ya

One step at a time! This is a start.

Yes it is. American travel to Cuba is still not going to happen in the short term. There will be 12 categories of Americans permitted to visit Cuba, none of which is vacationing, and certainly not U.S. based cruise ships. Baby steps. It's coming though...it's just going to take some time.

Give the Cubans Democracy !

........ same as they had under US-backed Batista, before the Castro-led revolution????

The embargo was (is) all about Castro seizing the assets of foreign corporations without paying compensation.

I think it's time we squared things away with Cuba and allow Americans to travel there for regular vacations and cruises. Just remember that it will take a 2/3 vote of congress to make this possible. Don't hold your breath for now.

I am a little unclear here. Why would it take a 2/3 vote of Congress?

Is a treaty involved? If it is, would it not mean a 2/3 vote of the Senate?

Aquahound -- The embargo, as currently constituted, is a joke. Most everyone who has the money and connections can go now. Legally. There are charter flights already even from Baltimore's BWI. You just have to have family in Cuba or be part of an "educational" group.

I don't know how I'm going to collect, but I bet U.S.-formatted cruises will be available within the next three years, at the latest.

As to deposing the Castro brothers, it's easy. Just land a couple of those mega ships and Americans will take over the whole island.

Because of the poor infrastructure, cruise ships is the approach that Cuban authorities will love. Because they can sell the scarce hotel rooms for premium prices, while cost-cutters like us will stay on ships.

The cruise lines will love this new destination. They have a lot of capacity to fill.

Edited by barante

Americans will not be free to travel to Cuba (but for the specific exemptions) until U.S. Congress changes the law. The President does not have the power to change THis law. Congress will not be in a hurry to do that.

I'd love to sail a HAL ship to Cuba and hope someday to do so.

Edited by sail7seas

I am a little unclear here. Why would it take a 2/3 vote of Congress?

Is a treaty involved? If it is, would it not mean a 2/3 vote of the Senate?

It is legislation so it could be changed by a simple majority. However, in order to end any filibuster would require 60 votes but not a two-third vote (67 votes).