Should I be worried about my Virgin Islands cruise?

warmwinds

It's a 9-nighter in 2016 going to St. Croix, Tortola, St. John's Antigua and St. Maarten. (one and only date is Feb. 16, 2016).

Never saw that combo of ports before, and now that the 2017 itins are out, it's not there, either.

Do I have to worry about the itinerary changing because they usually don't go to Tortola or that often to St. John's? Are cruise ships often "one hit wonders" at certain ports?

Edited by warmwinds

If you were going to lose Tortola, you would know by now. The rest are visited fairly often, tho you are correct, not necessarily in that combination. Nice itinerary.

I also have a one-off 9 nighter booked for November of 2015 on the Constellation, which originally included Tortola (one of the main reasons I booked).

However, we were notified in June of this year that Tortola was to be switched for St Croix, I assume because of the Disney renovation of the pier area. Some ships are still going to Tortola now, but tendering.

Perhaps they are planning for the renovations to be complete by your trip in 2016.

Just an FYI, the St. Johns is on Antigua (and a very nice stop). It's not the St. John in the Virgin Islands.

We have stopped at Tortola before so it's not that unusual. You've actually got a great itinerary and I don't think it will change unless there is some unforeseen issue.

... because they usually don't go to Tortola or that often to St. John's? Are cruise ships often "one hit wonders" at certain ports?

St John's, Antigua is a very popular cruise ship port. Were you confusing it with St. John in the US Virgin Islands?

Also, Tortola has gone out of its way to increase cruise arrivals.

I saw this interesting (in a good way) itinerary yesterday but thought the title for it was a misnomer. Only two of the five ports are in the Virgin Islands! And I'm guessing there will be some who will think they are going to St. John, USVI and not Antigua.

Oh well.

I saw this interesting (in a good way) itinerary yesterday but thought the title for it was a misnomer. Only two of the five ports are in the Virgin Islands! And I'm guessing there will be some who will think they are going to St. John, USVI and not Antigua.

Oh well.

Some won't even know after they return to the ship from that port stop :) :) (after the pirate cruise or equivalent)

Edited by ghstudio

I believe I wrote in my OP St. John's Antigua so yes, I do know where I'm going :). I also thought it odd that it would not include St. John in the VI, but I still like the itinerary. But would not want to lose Tortola.

And I also meant I have not seen many Celebrity cruises that stop in Antigua, although many other cruise lines stop there.

Edited by warmwinds

And I also meant I have not seen many Celebrity cruises that stop in Antigua, although many other cruise lines stop there.

We were on Summit and stopped in Antigua. We will also be on a Summit cruise scheduled to stop there next year.

I believe I wrote in my OP St. John's Antigua so yes, I do know where I'm going :). I also thought it odd that it would not include St. John in the VI, but I still like the itinerary. But would not want to lose Tortola.

St John, USVI is not a cruise ship port of call for Celebrity. Its an excursion option however.

If I had your port stops, I'd be happy too. Love them all!

Sounds like a great itin

When will the new Disney designed port be completed on Tortola?

I am mentioning this b/c we changed a cruise when Tortola was going to be deleted and St Croix subsituted..,cannot remember the date...but it was prior to Feb 2016,

St Johns Antigua is a great port...we go to the Celeb beach club excursion...same beach strip as Sandals, great little craft shops and eateries near the dock and also modern shopping area...

St Croix not a fav but just personal taste...

Enjoy!

Edited by hcat

Yes, usually when you are in St. Thomas.

And I should have clarified further...we always do LESS than 14 day cruises to the Carib, so there are only 2 itins winter of 2016 that stop in Antigua. It is a common port on the longer itins.

Lucky find! Have a gret time.

Both Summit and Eclipse regularly stop at Antigua and we have done a couple of cruises that stop there. I'd rate it an above average cruise stop.

Short of small ships like Windstar, I don't think any cruise ships actually go to St. John USVI, it would easily overwhelm the island and park.

Tortola is a nice stop, it's almost a shame a "typical" cruise port is being built there. Not sure what time you'll leave, as Celebrity generally leaves too early to have dinner on the islands, BUT if you are there by some change late enough, I'd recommend dinner at the Sugar Mill :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You didn't say which ship you were going on. I tried to book the Connie on that itinerary for Feb 16, 2016 while I was on a TA on Connie in November. It wasn't in their brochure even though it was online. The on board rep said it was because that itinerary was closed for a charter. Whether they knew what they were talking about or not, I assumed yes. But if the booking is still available then more power to you.

LOL yes, I tend to worry about the silliest things, especially when you book something almost 2 years out.

YES, it is the Feb 16, 2016 sailing! It's still available for booking, now you've got me worried about it being a charter! Maybe it's just a large group on board, now you've got me worried it will be something awful, like rodeo clowns or something, lol.

Will have to do some more investigating.

OMG you are all NOT going to believe this!

It seems that our cruise is not a charter, but the one just before it is...Connie, Feb 6-16, 2016...chartered by...are you ready (and I am NOT making this up)...

The Big Nude Boat!

Ewww, is there enough Lysol in the world to get it ready for our sailing??

It seems that our cruise is not a charter, but the one just before it is...Connie, Feb 6-16, 2016...chartered by...are you ready (and I am NOT making this up)...

The Big Nude Boat!

We're also booked on this Feb.16 departure. If the charter is extended into our cruise then DW and I will only need to pack 1 carry on for both of us. What would be required to enter the MDR on formal night?

LOL yes, I tend to worry about the silliest things, especially when you book something almost 2 years out.

YES, it is the Feb 16, 2016 sailing! It's still available for booking, now you've got me worried about it being a charter! Maybe it's just a large group on board, now you've got me worried it will be something awful, like rodeo clowns or something, lol.

Will have to do some more investigating.

I don't know, Rodeo clowns sound like fun :D :cool: :rolleyes:

The Big Nude Boat!

Back to nature, an Ecco cruise!

Happy sailing,

Jenna