walkie talkie

mya603

I was wondering if I took walkie talkies so I could keep in contact with my friends onboard ship if they would work. Any thoughts or experiences with this? You know, in case I'm up on deck and they are in the room and want me to meet them in the restaurant or someplace.

They won't work reliably on the ship. Most folks who know nothing about radios will invariably interpret the poor reception as them needing to speak louder and louder into the thing.

Bottom line - they don't work well, and they annoy others. If you need to stay in touch on the ship -- and you really don't -- you can use NCL's iConceirge app on the newer ships.

I was wondering if I took walkie talkies so I could keep in contact with my friends onboard ship if they would work. Any thoughts or experiences with this? You know, in case I'm up on deck and they are in the room and want me to meet them in the restaurant or someplace.

I've used them when I was on a Princess ship.

worked great.

just remember to turn them off when view a show. :p

but the newest NCL ships (breakaway, getaway, epic) are a lot longer and taller than Princess ships.

They won't work reliably on the ship. Most folks who know nothing about radios will invariably interpret the poor reception as them needing to speak louder and louder into the thing.

Bottom line - they don't work well, and they annoy others. If you need to stay in touch on the ship -- and you really don't -- you can use NCL's iConceirge app on the newer ships.

That's what I needed to know. My friends are the type to go the cabin and stay after coming back on board after a day on land but I want to stay on deck and see everything I can. They can just look for me! :D

Each cabin has a phone...use it! Making tentative plans the night before is a HUGE help, too!

We're in the same cabin, just was wanting to keep up with each other on the ship if I'm on deck and they are in the cabin and want to meet up for dinner somewhere or something like that. We will figure it out I'm sure. If not, oh well. I plan on having a good time anyway!

Also remember if in a foreign country you may not be licensed to use the W-Ts.

Use only on the ship should work with limitations as to how many metal decks

the radio transmission will penetrate. Nice for families to keep in touch.

The W-Ts can be as annoying as cell phones - use with respect and caution.

Radio scanners are another thing - check to see if you can bring aboard and use !

Sailed Carnival Victory 2/09 and my scanner was confiscated and returned at

the voyage end.

Best advice to offer leave the electronics home and enjoy the voyage but do

bring the cameras and videos.

That's what I needed to know. My friends are the type to go the cabin and stay after coming back on board after a day on land but I want to stay on deck and see everything I can. They can just look for me! :D

There are phones all over the ship, you just dial the room number and it will connect to the cabin. If you are going someplace you can always call and let them know where they can find you....until you go someplace else and check in with them again. Its not a huge deal.

Buzz crackle crackle..... "Can you hear me?"

"What?!"

"Can you hear me?!"

"I can't hear you!"

"What did you say?!"

"I'm at the pool!"

"What are you doing?!"

"What?!"

"I'm in the cabin!"

"NO! I'm at the pool!"

Do you really want to do that to the other passengers on the ship?

In theory they sound like a good idea. In reality not so good. You won't find them very useful even if they work most of the time. More of an annoyance carrying them around and such. Leave them at home.

What he said!

In your example they know you are up on deck, right? So they can simply come ask you in person.

I tell my party that I will either be at point A or point B. If you don't find me at A, then come to B. If I want to go to point C, I will find you and tell you first. I will be able to find you, because you are doing the same.

Communication is a great thing.

"What?!"

"Can you hear me?!"

"I can't hear you!"

"What did you say?!"

"I'm at the pool!"

"What are you doing?!"

"What?!"

"I'm in the cabin!"

"NO! I'm at the pool!"

LOL! You are right! And no, I do not want to be that passenger!

"What?!"

"Can you hear me?!"

"I can't hear you!"

"What did you say?!"

"I'm at the pool!"

"What are you doing?!"

"What?!"

"I'm in the cabin!"

"NO! I'm at the pool!"

Seriously.

Heard almost the exact same conversation (one end of it) in the MDR of a Celebrity ship during a special sea day brunch. I was enjoying my meal until a woman with a walkie talkie sat down near me and began screaming "can you hear me now" and "I'm over here, I'm over here" into it repeatedly.

If you are on the newer ships, as I sailed on the Breakaway in November you can download NCL's iconcierge app on your smartphone. Its helpful not only for viewing the freestyle dailies and making dinner reservations but you can text and call other cruisers for just 7.99! Very helpful when locating your party!

We are going to bring some but, I promise, we will not be THOSE people! lol We aren't that way with our cell phone so we won't be that way with the walkies. They have a silent/vibrate mode and you can easily excuse yourself away from others to respond (or not...sometimes just the silent/vibrate alert would be enough to signal me back to the cabin). Post-Its are great for letting a family member know where you have gone/when you will be back, but they aren't always going to cut it. If one of our family gets up to go for a walk before the others wake up it is nice to know when we can go back and be in the cabin without disturbing them.

They have their place, but please use them discreetly, just as you would use your phone on the mainland. :D