RCCL should change to Rotional Dining vs DD

tapemann

DD is not a conspiracy to force anyone to go to the specialty restaurants. For example, there are as many seats in the three complimentary restaurants on Oasis/Allure after DD as there were before DD. If DD was a conspiracy to force people to do the specialty restaurants, it is poorly implemented as there would have to be a significant change in the seats available.

Time will tell on this. I suspect that as time goes on, we will hear that "to maintain the quality <insert corporate doublespeak>, we are forced to start charging $10pp for the Silk restaurant", or something similar.

I've not been on a Disney cruise, but from what I've read, that sounds like what Disney does.

Yes, Disney rotates you between 3 dining rooms.

It's not done to give you a different menu , but rather to have you experience the different Disney themes in the 3 rooms.

Don't wish to see a rotational dining on RCL.

Royal has pretty clearly stated that they're testing Dynamic Dining on a few ships - and whether or not it's adopted fleetwide & how quickly if so, depends on the success & acceptance. That makes your attempt at making authoritative statements about it being a foregone conclusion that it will be implemented on every ship... rather ridiculous. :rolleyes:

As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic

Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis

Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.

Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean and based on the positive response from our

guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our

Royal Advantage program — our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our

guests.

Time will tell on this. I suspect that as time goes on, we will hear that "to maintain the quality <insert corporate doublespeak>, we are forced to start charging $10pp for the Silk restaurant", or something similar.

Believe what you like, but Royal did not have to spend all the money converting to Dynamic Dining to have sent this message: "to maintain the quality <insert corporate doublespeak>, we are forced to start charging $10pp for the Main Dining Room for most nights and $15pp for formal nights." That would be 'something similar', wouldn't it?

Believe what you like, but Royal did not have to spend all the money converting to Dynamic Dining to have sent this message: "to maintain the quality <insert corporate doublespeak>, we are forced to start charging $10pp for the Main Dining Room for most nights and $15pp for formal nights." That would be 'something similar', wouldn't it?

That could happen too, but they tend to do things in smaller steps, hence why I think it will start with one of the free rooms first.

That could happen too, but they tend to do things in smaller steps, hence why I think it will start with one of the free rooms first.

I don't think that would work due to the size of the venue. Silk alone on Oasis would have more seats than all other fee based venues combined. The overcrowding at the free venues would be so bad, they'd have to abandon it after a few sailings. No, if they do it, it would have to be all or none (it doesn't mean they all have to be the same upcharge):cool:

And when that happens, we'll have a lot of threads discussing what types of food and how they can be hidden and brought on board. Hey, where's that hide the booze thread......:D

Small steps won't justify the increased cost of implementing dynamic dining. Big steps would put Royal at a disadvantage to the other lines.

It's not necessary to imagine various conspiracies as the reason behind Dynamic Dining when there is a much simpler explanation available. Royal wants to make their cruise ships more attractive to those who are not attracted to the classic dining experience. While many like classic dining, Royal believes there are many, many more who do not want to spend two and half hours at the same table with the same people at the same time every night. Nor, are they thrilled with wearing a tux or a suit a couple of times a week. Believe it or not but the majority of those Royal wants to attract to cruising are turned off by classic dining.

I think people are forgetting about the fact that these cruise ships that have DD are huge and carry a large # of PAX. Logistically it would be a nightmare for approximately half the ship to all have dinner at one time and then the other half at another. The entertainment venues are not designed to hold half of the ship's passengers like the smaller ships were built to. DD and the staggering of entertainment times allow the cruise line to not spread everyone out throughout the ship at different venues and at different times. It's easier for the staff to manage and likely enhances the customer's experience. Are there any venues on the Quantum capable of holding nearly 3000 passengers? Since the mega ship seems hear to stay, DD likely will to because it's just as much about controlling the flow of PAX traffic as it is attracting new cruisers.

I think people are forgetting about the fact that these cruise ships that have DD are huge and carry a large # of PAX. Logistically it would be a nightmare for approximately half the ship to all have dinner at one time and then the other half at another. The entertainment venues are not designed to hold half of the ship's passengers like the smaller ships were built to. DD and the staggering of entertainment times allow the cruise line to not spread everyone out throughout the ship at different venues and at different times. It's easier for the staff to manage and likely enhances the customer's experience. Are there any venues on the Quantum capable of holding nearly 3000 passengers? Since the mega ship seems hear to stay, DD likely will to because it's just as much about controlling the flow of PAX traffic as it is attracting new cruisers.

Well the logic here is a little flawed, because DD was not originally debuted on an Oasis class ship that has a larger passenger capacity than Quantum. At max Quantum has 5400 passengers, while Oasis class has 6300.

I expect that DD is probably here to stay and will be implemented on many of the ships....I just hope it is not put on all of them....there is something to be said for many cruisers would like the option of the 'older traditional ways'.

People stop this BS already, all ships will be dynamic people want choices and the couple of people thay complain about it here can go to another line but I'm sure that won't last long. NCL is out for you complainers, carnival will be out too, for now princess, costa and holland offers what u want main and late dining and a couple of specialty restaurants, but I'm sure princess won't last that long with that concept and go anytime dining eventually for all.

This doesn't cut it for most cruisers now a days , we want choices, we don't mind paying for choices , we don't mind making reservations to get our choices.

To each their own, my opinion is exactly the opposite. I deal all the time with making choices at home, one of the big things I love about cruising is not having to make as many choices.

The last thing I want to do on a cruise is have to go through the argument every day with my wife of where to eat and when to eat, followed by do we really want to wait in line here or switch to plan B. Never mind pulling in a group of 6 to 20 people and having to reach consensus with them on the same issues every night.

If you want to give me choice, expand the MDR menu and add some more options but making me deal with multiple restaurants (with less than exciting menus IMO for the most part) and booking times or standing in lines isn't a choice I want.

I agree. And as time goes on, there will be new generations of cruisers that never even knew the "old" (MDR) way, so they will be none the wiser.

To each their own, my opinion is exactly the opposite. I deal all the time with making choices at home, one of the big things I love about cruising is not having to make as many choices.

The last thing I want to do on a cruise is have to go through the argument every day with my wife of where to eat and when to eat, followed by do we really want to wait in line here or switch to plan B. Never mind pulling in a group of 6 to 20 people and having to reach consensus with them on the same issues every night.

If you want to give me choice, expand the MDR menu and add some more options but making me deal with multiple restaurants (with less than exciting menus IMO for the most part) and booking times or standing in lines isn't a choice I want.

So don't sail DD ships. Problem solved. You can stick to the ships with traditional. We who want more options will try quantum,anthem and so on.

Question: Do you ever win any of those arguments with your wife?

Here is a simple solution for you -- just go to the restaurant your wife chooses at the time she chooses......and is done for you....no arguments at all.

DD is a failed concept. The optimum solution is to make dining about the menu and not the tablecloth or style of the chair. RCL will eventually convert the entire dining room to MTD and expand the menus. DD was sold as a marketing gimmick and cannot ever work well without a significant expansion of the dining room capacity. This will be far more costly and inefficient. All MTD with larger menus is the easiest and cheapest solution for RCL and ultimately please more of the passengers. It will take some time but eventually RCL will come to this conclusion.

Edited by dz9yvr
typo

DD is a failed concept. The optimum solution is to make dining about the menu and not the tablecloth or style of the chair. RCL will eventually convert the entire dining room to MTD and expand the menus. DD was sold as a marketing gimmick and cannot ever work well without a significant expansion of the dining room capacity. This will be far more costly and inefficient. All MTD with larger menus is the easiest and cheapest solution for RCL and ultimately please more of the passengers. It will take some time but eventually RCL will come to this conclusion.

Would not converting the entire dining room to MTD also require an expansion of the dining room capacity?

What is the problem and why would "All MTD with larger menus" be the "easiest and cheapest solution" to that problem?

Trying to understand your reasoning.

Not failed because I'm thinking it will be back, with adjustments. As someone said here on CC once and it's a good saying for this thread too:

'Too early to call this election'

I think that was me that said that. (If it wasn't me, I'd still like to take credit.)

Edited by RocketMan275

All cruise lines have discovered that flexible dinner (aka NCL freestyle) brings in business that's why they all have the option now.

The brave move for RCI is to drop fixed but try to come up with something that is not a copy of NCL.

The problem is RCI don't have the variety of alternative choices at reasonable add on costs like NCL.

When it comes to MDR menus if you analysed them on traditional trip over a week they are a lot of the same anyway there are only so may ways you can cut and dress a lump of meat/fish.

Having experienced this type of dining on the Disney Magic, and how successful it is it would be a great idea for RCI to try it on the bigger ships.

If a family would not want to go to their assigned dining area they would have the option of the pay venues, WJ.

RCI should give it a try.

Great Idea OP

Sea Ya

Would not converting the entire dining room to MTD also require an expansion of the dining room capacity?

No. More people can move through MTD than traditional dining in an evening.

What is the problem and why would "All MTD with larger menus" be the "easiest and cheapest solution" to that problem?

Enlarging the menu will provide even more dinner choices. No dining room or IT changes required

Trying to understand your reasoning.

See responses above

Edited by dz9yvr

Not all dining rooms can fit the same number of people ( as explained by a RCCL Exec in a long phone call). For those who Don't wish to make Rez every night the should have a set time ( 8 PM) the a set rotation of dining rooms for that cruise at a large 10 top with the same people that they would normally sit with as if there was NO DD. Then other who want to make Rez can do what they want.