RCCL should change to Rotional Dining vs DD

tapemann

The issue I see with this is the same issue I have with Disney's rotational dining scheme. For us at least, it meant that two out of three nights we were stuck in a restaurant that served nothing that we liked. We abandoned Disney's rotational dining for topsider's and Palo after our second cruise with them, and I would have no desire to have rotational dining replicated on RCL ships.

Edited by orville99

Or you could choose where to eat everynight...Oh wait...Dynamic Dining.

I think Royal should just make a pre-made package for people who don't want to make their own reservations and give them a set schedule. For example...

5:30 Package

Day 1: Silk

Day 2: Chic

Day 3: Grande

Day 4: American Icon

etc, etc

They could even make a "timed package" like above that includes 2-3 specialty restaurants and charge their fee. Makes sense for those who want to have a different experience each night, but like the comfort not having to choose where to eat every night and at what time. Some people just like structure.

I think Royal should just make a pre-made package for people who don't want to make their own reservations and give them a set schedule. For example...

etc, etc

They could even make a "timed package" like above that includes 2-3 specialty restaurants and charge their fee. Makes sense for those who want to have a different experience each night, but like the comfort not having to choose where to eat every night and at what time. Some people just like structure.

I would love that, with the additional feature that the dining times would be convenient for the shows.

As for the menus, they could offer the restaurant's menu, but have a small section for favourites, like they do now in the MDR. I can't remember what they call it now...so that way if nothing appeals to you, you can still get a plate of pasta, or steak, chicken or salmon.

Being this just started on Royal and so many have not tried it nor given it time to settle in, I think Royal is staying with this.

Wouldn't it be best to just try and give DD some time??

If reservations are so much work-has anyone just winged it and just walked right up at any time for dinner?? I think this would be my strategy as I won't know 3 months before I sail what time I want to eat. Seems easy peasy. Just like at home, may have to wait a bit for a table but luckily, bars are a plenty on board!! :D

Rotational Dining , where guest change Diningrooms nightly would give the different Menu's. This would stop the having to make Rez and the whole table changes Restaurants.

It's not about changing the menu. RCI has decided that those they are attempting to attract as new customers don't like the current dining systems of same table, same time, same waiter, same table mates, two formal nights, etc,. You might as well get over it. Dynamic Dining will be implemented on every ship where it is possible to do so.

We've only sailed with Disney (4x) so we only know rotational dining. I loved that we got to try different restaurants and really, the food wasn't that different from the next restaurant so I'm surprised to see someone above felt like they were stuck at restaurants that they didn't like 2 out of the 3 nights. Yes, they have slightly different cuisines but they always offered basics like a pasta dish, chicken dish, beef dish and seafood dish and they're SUPER accommodating. I really liked that our wait staff moved along with us to the different restaurants too.

I'm looking forward to sailing with Royal for the first time but that is one of the things I'm a tad concerned about... eating in the same restaurant every single night. I'm sure it'll be fine though! We're not the picky type... or the complaining type but I do think I'll miss rotational dining.

I know we can go to Chops and Giovani's just like we could have gone to Palo and Remi's with Disney but of course those options cost extra.

I would love that, with the additional feature that the dining times would be convenient for the shows.

Has merit. I Agree it needs to be coordinated with the entertainment. This has been our problem--it's like a puzzle.

It's not about changing the menu. RCI has decided that those they are attempting to attract as new customers don't like the current dining systems of same table, same time, same waiter, same table mates, two formal nights, etc,. They did that several years ago by introducing Any Time Dining and a variety of specialty restaurants. You might as well get over it. Dynamic Dining will be implemented on every ship where it is possible to do so.

I think you are rushing your predictions. We will see how many loyal Royals will stop sailing on any ship with DD.

The issue I see with this is the same issue I have with Disney's rotational dining scheme. For us at least, it meant that two out of three nights we were stuck in a restaurant that served nothing that we liked. We abandoned Disney's rotational dining for topsider's and Palo after our second cruise with them, and I would have no desire to have rotational dining replicated on RCL ships.

I'm confused. On DCL, only the actual diningroom changes nightly. You get the same offering on each night, no matter which space you are in. So if you did not like the offerings on two of the three nights, you would not have been happy no matter where you were on those two nights; they all serve the same menu, on the same night. For instance, on night 2, you would have the same choices in each of the dining venues.

Disney offers a rotational system. Each day will have a different menu...7 day cruise, 7 menus. So it doesn't matter if you are in restaurant A, B, or C, the menu is the same in all three. Not the same menu for 7 days.

Only downside we found, is a preference for one dining room over another. Some are noisier than others was what we discovered.

Another aspect of the Disney rotational system is that your wait staff rotates with you.

Why would Disney do this? Some of the restaurants have a specialty show that goes on only in that restaurant. You will be going to a restaurant twice in some cases. The first night eating in the restaurant with a specialty show is typically when you will see it. The next time you are there during the week you do not.

Think we'll just see how DD works when we are cruising on a ship that offers it. Probably speculation, suggestions, or changes this early in the DD game is not going to persuade RCCL to do anything differently.

Edited by denamo

I think you are rushing your predictions. We will see how many loyal Royals will stop sailing on any ship with DD.

It's not about the 'loyal Royals'. It's about attracting a new and younger cruising demographic who are turned off by the classic cruise dining experience. Dynamic Dining is the future.

While we are not younger, we would be new to RCCL, however we choose not to cruise with RCCL because of the structured dining and lack of complimentary venues. Maybe it was just the ship, I believe it was the Navigator o t Seas, but there wasn't much flexibility. We cruise NCL but wanted to try a different line, in this case they lost two customers because of the dining choices.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

I'm confused. On DCL, only the actual diningroom changes nightly. You get the same offering on each night, no matter which space you are in. So if you did not like the offerings on two of the three nights, you would not have been happy no matter where you were on those two nights; they all serve the same menu, on the same night. For instance, on night 2, you would have the same choices in each of the dining venues.

Two reasons: 1) Disney serves the most bland and uninspired food I've ever had the misfortune to suffer through, and 2) Other than Lumiere's, the remaining venues had all the ambiance of a cafeteria. So on one night, you get unpalatable food in a halfway decent restaurant (unless you're fortunate enough to be there the night they serve the mixed grill - which seems to be the only thing they know how to cook), and the other two in the rotation, you get unpalatable food in a cafeteria. The only restaurants on board that actually know how to prepare food properly are Palo (which we do 2- 3 nights on a cruise), and Topsider's, which we do the other nights.

Edited by orville99

It's not about changing the menu. RCI has decided that those they are attempting to attract as new customers don't like the current dining systems of same table, same time, same waiter, same table mates, two formal nights, etc,. You might as well get over it. Dynamic Dining will be implemented on every ship where it is possible to do so.

We are one of those who LOVE the continuity of the same table, time, waiter, etc. I can't tell you how much having the same wait staff has benefited us! They got to know what we liked and would either have food or drinks all ready for us without us asking just as an example. This really came in handy with our children as they totally catered to them every night. We've only done long sailings so maybe those who do short cruises don't care about the familiarity you develop with the crew serving you.

It's not about the 'loyal Royals'. It's about attracting a new and younger cruising demographic who are turned off by the classic cruise dining experience. Dynamic Dining is the future.

We are considered the "younger demographic" and prefer the classic cruise experience. :) Even with our tribe of children, we love dining most of our meals in the MDR, dressing up for formal night, etc. To each their own I suppose! ;)

Agree to an extent, but who wants forcing into speciality dining every time they cruise?

I'm looking forward to sailing with Royal for the first time but that is one of the things I'm a tad concerned about... eating in the same restaurant every single night. I'm sure it'll be fine though! We're not the picky type... or the complaining type but I do think I'll miss rotational dining.

The menu in the main dining room on Royal changes every night, with a group of 'alternatives' that remains the same each night.

etc, etc

You could simply do it for YOURSELF. If you previously like eating every night at 6pm make reservations each night for 6pm; rotate the restaurants; if you find one that you like more than the others, after you have tried each once then go back to the one/s you liked more for the remaining nights on the cruise. It doesn't seem so difficult.

What is so difficult?