Seriously considering a Christmas cruise next year!

Mommypig

I love my kids but this whole Christmas thing is Insane now that my adult kids are having to split themselves up between me, my ex, and their inlaws, not to mention my husband's kids and his mom. It is so stressful not knowing until the last minute who is coming when and when I am cooking etc. Seriously thinking to see them all one day before or after the actual event and spend Christmas on a cruise.

So tell me what goes on on a Christmas cruise?

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We've been on three Princess cruises during the holiday, all two week ones to Hawaii so New Years Eve was also included, between 2005 and 2013.

Just think, no trying to fight traffic finding parking spaces at the mall, people in a good mood, and for you, the definitive answer to trying to decide where to go on 12/24 and on 12/25 without hurting any feelings.

For the holiday cruises we were on (the Island, the Golden, and the Golden again), the ships were decorated, either the 24th or the 25 and the 31st were formal dinners, holiday activities (crew members caroling in the grand atrium with "snow" falling down on them, holiday movies, holiday music)...

The one disadvantage is really is if you truly wanted to get away from anything Christmasy (I guess you can listen to regular music on a music player the whole time).

I love my kids but this whole Christmas thing is Insane now that my adult kids are having to split themselves up between me, my ex, and their inlaws, not to mention my husband's kids and his mom. It is so stressful not knowing until the last minute who is coming when and when I am cooking etc. Seriously thinking to see them all one day before or after the actual event and spend Christmas on a cruise.

So tell me what goes on on a Christmas cruise?

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Go for it. I would love to 'sailaway' from the usual Christmas stress.:D

I don't cruise over the holidays, but I do have the same problem as you with extended families and crazy holiday schedules. Years ago, I stopped having the family together on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but we do get together on the Saturday before or after each holiday - far less stress and we all get to spend the day or evening together without anyone having to rush off somewhere else. DH and I go to a movie on Christmas day and we let everyone know we have plans and won't be home.

The increased prices across Christmas might you consider dry land elsewhere.

The land based vacations are extremely expensive across the holiday season also. Children are out of school, and it is an easier time for many people to get off work so demand is quite high this time of year. But I hope you have a lovely time if you decide to cruise.

We were on Sea Princess for Christmas 2010. It was very Christmassy. The décor was lovely and the crew sang carols.

The bit that felt strange to me was being seeing palm trees next to Christmas trees (Caribbean). Having a warm weather Christmas just didn`t seem right for me, coming from a colder climate.

It was a lovely cruise however. :) (apart from a few disasters which would spoil this post if I told you about them)

Edited by caber

The increased prices across Christmas might you consider dry land elsewhere.

This year, the Regal Princess went for $399 per person for an inside, balconies were very reasonable also. The Royal Princess also had very low fares.

I have cruised 2x over Christmas and enjoyed my cruises very much. It had a festive feeling.

I don't know what happens on a Christmas cruise but I say go for it. I can't imagine the stress of your situation and trying to get everyone fit in. I still have 2 at home and 3 on their own but it is hectic enough getting to this grandma and then the other grandma and the kids getting to their inlaws. I say go for it. I hope in a few years I can talk my husband into it.

We were on Sea Princess for Christmas 2010. It was very Christmassy. The décor was lovely and the crew sang carols.

The bit that felt strange to me was being seeing palm trees next to Christmas trees (Caribbean). Having a warm weather Christmas just didn`t seem right for me, coming from a colder climate.

It was a lovely cruise however. :) (apart from a few disasters which would spoil this post if I told you about them)

You wouldn't want to be in Los Angeles during the holidays then. We have palm trees (we have one in our backyard), but it's also in the 40s F right now (around 10:30am), in the 30s overnight. So not warm, either. And if it's rained recently, there's snow in the taller mountains about 100 miles away (last weekend there was snow).

The land based vacations are extremely expensive across the holiday season also. Children are out of school, and it is an easier time for many people to get off work so demand is quite high this time of year. But I hope you have a lovely time if you decide to cruise.

Our condo rental was the same price year round, it was the airfare that was sky high :( Thank goodness for $99 companion tickets or we wouldn't be here right now

Just got off the Emerald Princess' Christmas cruise. It was very festive, with lots of decorations and Christmas-related decorations and non-stop Christmas music playing everywhere but none of it was over-the-top. Lots of big family groups onboard, but everyone pretty well behaved. It is the rainy season in the Caribbean but it was sunny and warm at two of our three ports. Altogether a very nice experience.

We just got off the Regal Christmas cruise.

It was a last minute decision and got a great price for a mini during Thanksgiving weekend.

When we boarded the ship, there was artificial snow falling and costumed carolers singing in the Piazza. Beautiful Christmas decorations in public areas. Christmas songs playing everywhere.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

On Christmas Eve, the cruise director read The Night Before Christmas to a group of children in the Piazza. Santa made a visit Christmas morning, also in the Piazza, with gifts for the children. That, I didn't witness though.

ry%3D480

A Christmas stocking filled with some chocolate, mints and 2 candy canes were left on our bed.

ry%3D400

Oh, and I was told that there were 700 kids on board, but saw hardly any.

Christmas night was dressed to impress, and the next night was formal.

Christmas dinner was Turkey with the trimmings, Glazed ham, Beef tenderloins, Halibut, Tiger shrimp kabobs and Grilled vegetable Mille-Feuille. My menu pics didn't come out all that clear.......

They had the Yule Log burning on the TV as well as possibly a dozen Christmas themed movies.

ry%3D480

There was also a Christmas themed trivia.

I lost my dad and my favorite aunt this past year and in between, their deaths, I had breast cancer. We went on this cruise to just get away and recharge. Although it was a great cruise...... I'm not sure I would want to be away from home on Christmas again. But I won't rule it out.

I go back and forth about whether or not I'd want to do a Christmas cruise. I have done the Hawaii cruise that sails the first week of December from LA for the past 3 years. I've enjoyed all of them. I think about if I'd want to stay on for Christmas. I do like the decorations. There isn't a lot of Christmas stuff besides décor on the early December cruises. One year, they did snow. I may have missed it other years. Anyway, the thing that keeps me from going is the number of children that will be on board. This year, the staff on the Grand said they were expecting 350 children. Someone said there were over 200 teenagers. I like children, but a lot of children just make the cruise a lot more crowded. It can be a lot noisier, too. So, for me, I keep skipping Christmas. I did an Easter cruise once several years back and said never again. Children on that cruise were not well behaved.

I've done 2 Christmas cruises on Princess. I just got off The Summit where I tried a Celebrity Christmas cruise. I have a short review on the Celebrity board.

Princess does a great job of decorating the ship. Eggnog served at breakfast on Christmas Day and the gingerbread soufflé is my favorite. Santa visits and snow in the lobby without the cold.

I was worried about the feel of Christmas, but it was there on the ship. And no one had to cook or do dishes.