The Unexpected ... Issues and Responses

jewopaho

We are longtime cruisers (pretty far up on the loyalty chain), and have come to expect a glitch here and there. Royal has always responded expeditiously, minimizing whatever inconveniences were caused ... not so much this time.

Living less than an hour from the Port of Galveston, we were pleased when RCI decided to cruise year-round from there, and thrilled when the new and improved Navigator of the Seas (2014 drydock) replaced the aging Mariner. Our first cruise was terrific ... so much so that we booked three more. Of course, you must realize by now that I'm leading up to some disappointing experiences.

On our 12/7-12/14 voyage, we had some unexpected and ongoing issues with the condition of our stateroom ...

The sink drained very slowly (would have overflowed in 30 seconds). After several attempts by different maintenance personnel to resolve the issue (beginning on Day 1), it was finally taken care of ... on Day 6.

Hot water was intermittent at best. Apparently, it affected three decks (7, 8 and 9). We babysat plumbers in our room as late as midnight, and had to virtually schedule our showers when the water was hot enough, lest it be cold the following morning. We were on Deck 7 aft ... the closest other shower was at the spa on Deck 12 forward. The morning we left our stateroom for the final time, the water was lukewarm.

The floor covering on our balcony was separating from the sub-floor, creating a dangerous condition if we didn't watch where we were walking. Apparently it's a two-step operation to repair it. The maintenance person showed up (on Day 2) to take care of step 1. He returned (on Day 7) to complete the process, power grinder in hand, in the late afternoon, when we were changing for dinner.

There was a significant amount of rust in the shower, which had obviously been re-caulked several times. They got around to applying the chemical used to treat the condition on Day 5 ... the rust began to bleed through again on Day 6.

Given that the ship was refurbished less than a year ago, we wonder what will pop up on our subsequent cruises. Guest Relations did offer compensation, but we would have much preferred that the matters be resolved quickly, rather than our being bought off. Apology after apology came forth, to the point that we felt patronized ... but it took virtually the entire length of the cruise to repair what we reported within minutes of entering the stateroom, and the hot water problem was still unresolved when we disembarked.

Oh ... here's a couple of dining room notes which may prove helpful to future cruisers ...

Cream is no longer served with coffee ... it's all milk at the table. If you prefer cream (as we do), stop by Promenade or Windjammer and pick up those little containers of half-and-half, or ask your server to have some handy (we do My Time Dining, so it's easier to tote our own).

The "jumbo" shrimp served on the Fisherman's Plate (the much anticipated lobster dinner) are becoming less and less jumbo ... they're down to about the size of a garnish.

Yeah, after all of this, we're pretty much still loyal to Royal ... but as much as we like Galveston, and those loyalty perks that keep us coming back, I must admit that we're looking at sailing from Houston on Princess and NCL during the next Caribbean season.

Al

Edited by jewopaho

I would not sail from Houston if you paid me. Cruise after cruise after cruise suffering significant delays from the port. This is nothing against Princess or NCL, but Houston port is widely disliked and if I had to choose between onboard ship issues or a port known for delays I'd probably take the ship with some issues!

Your post raise not only some inconviences, but safety issues.

The balcony and the shower condition is a disaster waiting to happen if anyone suffers injury.

I hope you took pictures and mail them with a detailed letter stating these safety concerns.

I would only hope your reply would be more than a form letter.

As far as the dining room food goes, it seems to be hit or miss, and I doubt anything would change for the better.

Good Luck

Sea Ya

No half and half? That would suck....milk does NOT do the same in coffee as cream.....and to have to "stop by" WJ to bring your own.....it sucks.

On our last cruise, they wouldn't give you a small thing of melted butter for our pitiful lobster tail...they simply poured some on my plate....very tacky and not the same as being able to 'dip' your lobste

I would not sail from Houston if you paid me. Cruise after cruise after cruise suffering significant delays from the port. This is nothing against Princess or NCL, but Houston port is widely disliked and if I had to choose between onboard ship issues or a port known for delays I'd probably take the ship with some issues!

We've actually sailed from Houston ... granted, not exactly Galveston, but they've managed to improve matters. Still in all, some of the prices for cruises out of Bayport are ridiculous (Princess, $249; NCL, $629 for a suite!) so a little inconvenience is certainly tolerable at those rates.

Your post raise not only some inconveniences, but safety issues. The balcony and the shower condition is a disaster waiting to happen if anyone suffers injury. I hope you took pictures and mail them with a detailed letter stating these safety concerns. I would only hope your reply would be more than a form letter.

I did better than that ... e-mailed the photos to Adam Goldstein directly, received a prompt response by phone from someone in his office. To Royal's credit, they did take ownership of the issues ... reviewed the ship's log, verified the problems, and have apparently taken some sort of action to prevent such matters from reoccurring. The fact that we have five RCI/Celebrity cruises booked probably didn't hurt.

CB at Sea, I have to laugh about the butter incident. On our last Alaskan cruise we were having formal/lobster night and someone bumped the waiter near our table and he ended up pouring hot melted butter all over my formal dress! Too say it ruined our dinner and my dress, is putting it mildly. RCCL ended up paying for the cost of my dress as the cleaners on board could not get butter off the dress. Believe it or not they argued with us about even paying for the dress!

I know it doesn't excuse this issues, but what category of room was this?

The last couple times we cruised I don't know if I'd call it a "Hot water shortage issue" but the sweet spot between "frigid" and "scalding" sure was tiny and not easily dialed in.

Pssst...OP sailed from Galveston ;)

I would've thought sailing out of Houston would be great - to see how huge the port is, most folk don't realise just how much goods flows thru' that port. One day I'd like to sail out of New Orleans for that long trip down the river !

I would've thought sailing out of Houston would be great - to see how huge the port is, most folk don't realise just how much goods flows thru' that port. One day I'd like to sail out of New Orleans for that long trip down the river !

Well you better come quickly. RCL is pulling our of NOLA this spring. We have a cruise on March 28 leaving New Orleans and it is the second to last one.

Well you better come quickly. RCL is pulling our of NOLA this spring. We have a cruise on March 28 leaving New Orleans and it is the second to last one.

Yes, I know :(

Have to say I dislike New Orleans so it might be a long time before I go back.

What relativity of your post is related to the Navigator?

www.portofhouston/cruise not a huge port.:rolleyes:

Maybe not the cruise side, but the rest is huge:

http://www.portofhouston.com/about-us/economic-impact/

It is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage, second-busiest in the United States in terms of overall tonnage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Houston

Maybe not the cruise side, but the rest is huge:

http://www.portofhouston.com/about-us/economic-impact/

It is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage, second-busiest in the United States in terms of overall tonnage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Houston

You're including Barbours Cut, which is a little ways from bayport.;)

We are longtime cruisers (pretty far up on the loyalty chain), and have come to expect a glitch here and there. Royal has always responded expeditiously, minimizing whatever inconveniences were caused ... not so much this time.

Living less than an hour from the Port of Galveston, we were pleased when RCI decided to cruise year-round from there, and thrilled when the new and improved Navigator of the Seas (2014 drydock) replaced the aging Mariner. Our first cruise was terrific ... so much so that we booked three more. Of course, you must realize by now that I'm leading up to some disappointing experiences.

On our 12/7-12/14 voyage, we had some unexpected and ongoing issues with the condition of our stateroom ...

The sink drained very slowly (would have overflowed in 30 seconds). After several attempts by different maintenance personnel to resolve the issue (beginning on Day 1), it was finally taken care of ... on Day 6.

Hot water was intermittent at best. Apparently, it affected three decks (7, 8 and 9). We babysat plumbers in our room as late as midnight, and had to virtually schedule our showers when the water was hot enough, lest it be cold the following morning. We were on Deck 7 aft ... the closest other shower was at the spa on Deck 12 forward. The morning we left our stateroom for the final time, the water was lukewarm.

The floor covering on our balcony was separating from the sub-floor, creating a dangerous condition if we didn't watch where we were walking. Apparently it's a two-step operation to repair it. The maintenance person showed up (on Day 2) to take care of step 1. He returned (on Day 7) to complete the process, power grinder in hand, in the late afternoon, when we were changing for dinner.

There was a significant amount of rust in the shower, which had obviously been re-caulked several times. They got around to applying the chemical used to treat the condition on Day 5 ... the rust began to bleed through again on Day 6.

Given that the ship was refurbished less than a year ago, we wonder what will pop up on our subsequent cruises. Guest Relations did offer compensation, but we would have much preferred that the matters be resolved quickly, rather than our being bought off. Apology after apology came forth, to the point that we felt patronized ... but it took virtually the entire length of the cruise to repair what we reported within minutes of entering the stateroom, and the hot water problem was still unresolved when we disembarked.

Oh ... here's a couple of dining room notes which may prove helpful to future cruisers ...

Cream is no longer served with coffee ... it's all milk at the table. If you prefer cream (as we do), stop by Promenade or Windjammer and pick up those little containers of half-and-half, or ask your server to have some handy (we do My Time Dining, so it's easier to tote our own).

The "jumbo" shrimp served on the Fisherman's Plate (the much anticipated lobster dinner) are becoming less and less jumbo ... they're down to about the size of a garnish.

Yeah, after all of this, we're pretty much still loyal to Royal ... but as much as we like Galveston, and those loyalty perks that keep us coming back, I must admit that we're looking at sailing from Houston on Princess and NCL during the next Caribbean season.

Al

I was on the 12-14-14 cruise right after you. I'm so sorry you had some serious issues with your cabin, etc., on your cruise.

It's funny, I had coffee everyday and it was very good. I never noticed the little creamer had milk in it! :rolleyes:

We were on deck 9 hump and never had any issues with our water not getting hot. In fact, on a couple of days, it was too hot and I had to add more cold water. :)

I do have to agree about the "jumbo shrimp" though. :(

Pssst...OP sailed from Galveston ;)

Pssst...I know. Did you read OP's entire post when they said they are considering sailing from Houston next time? Galveston rarely has the same logistical trouble as Houston does.

What relativity of your post is related to the Navigator?

See above - OP said they are considering NCL or Princess from Houston. The relativity is that Navigator sails from Galveston and NCL and Princess sail from Houston. Lots of reported delays and trouble with Houston port (but there are deals to be had)

On our Oasis cruise a couple years ago they did not have half and half in the MDR. Our server, who was the worst that we have had so far in our cruising life, went to the windjammer the first night to get some. After that he had some on the table every night when we should up. Maybe all they had to do is ask

Pssst...I know. Did you read OP's entire post when they said they are considering sailing from Houston next time? Galveston rarely has the same logistical trouble as Houston does.

See above - OP said they are considering NCL or Princess from Houston. The relativity is that Navigator sails from Galveston and NCL and Princess sail from Houston. Lots of reported delays and trouble with Houston port (but there are deals to be had)

Thanks for response. :)

LOL!!! ;):D:p

I know it doesn't excuse this issues, but what category of room was this?

You're correct ... it doesn't matter, but for the record, it was a Cat. E-2 balcony stateroom. Of course, we fooled with the faucet before calling anyone ... but after ten minutes of tepid water, we figured it was an issue that needed to be addressed.

On our Oasis cruise a couple years ago they did not have half and half in the MDR. Our server, who was the worst that we have had so far in our cruising life, went to the windjammer the first night to get some. After that he had some on the table every night when we showed up. Maybe all they had to do is ask

We'd certainly do that if we had traditional seating ... but we much prefer My Time Dining (largely to meet new people each evening), and it's just more convenient to bring the creamers than to have the staff run to Windjammer in the middle of dinner to fetch them.

We sailed on Navigator soon after her refurbishment. We had to call to have our toilet flushed! The service in MDR and some of the food was less than stellar. We were delayed going and coming, but that was due to fog. I like Galveston, but not the Navigator.:p

Edited by misty57