upgrade my cabin

sjoantwe

I will be on Equinox on Jan 2 and have Select status. Is it possible to get an upgrade on my cabin upon check-in? We are booked into a Veranda with a full view. I seem to remember that the cruises in early Jan have lots of complimentary travel agents , etc on them. I dont know if that helps or hurts my chance of an upgrade.

The upgrade fairy is unpredictable. Free upgrades are very, very, very, very rare. A paid upgrade isn't that easy to get, either, as most ships sail full these days. It won't be a discount or a bargain, either.

You will read some reports of people who have arranged for upgrades, primarily by haunting the Celebrity website and knowing which rooms were not booked as of three days before the cruise, and being able to state "I would like to upgrade to this particular cabin" but you pay for this at the going rate.

I will be on Equinox on Jan 2 and have Select status. Is it possible to get an upgrade on my cabin upon check-in? We are booked into a Veranda with a full view. I seem to remember that the cruises in early Jan have lots of complimentary travel agents , etc on them. I dont know if that helps or hurts my chance of an upgrade.

What makes u think that:confused:

Upgrades are based on status. Would think there would be MANY Elites ahead of you. They also keep at least one or two balcony cabins open if there are issues and people need to be moved. We are Elite and the only upgrades we ever got was from C3 to C1 or similar.

You are Select so that means that you have cruised before. What has your experience been? Have you ever received a upgrade when checking in? If so then you have been very lucky.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We are Elite+ and have never, ever, ever even had a whiff of an upgrade. I don't think status has anything to do with it (with the possible exception of Zenith). From what I have seen reported on this board, any upgrades at all (and I mean true upgrades, not just a better room on a GTY booking) seem to go to cruisers brand new to Celebrity (they want to spoil them upfront in the hopes they continue to book higher IMHO) or to people who regularly book higher level cabins and/or last minute higher priced cabins. Rewarding loyalty status is clearly not the focus of Celebrity right now.

Upgrades are based on status.

How do you know that this is true since you have a least implied that it is a true fact? Other than a GTY and the one category CC upgrade I have never received an upgrade on Celebrity. It seems to me from different posting that Celebrity upgrades are less common than Princess upgrades.

I am not saying you are incorrect, but I am curious.

We are on the same sailing.....i wouldnt hold my breath....last i looked there were about 5 open cabins on this sailing

There are 4 royal suites open.....

Fingers crossed

I would hope that if people were to be upgraded to Royal Suites, that they would first look at those who paid for one category below (Celebrity Suites) and move people accordingly.

I think it is wishful thinking to hope for an upgrade from a standard balcony to a Royal Suite.

Shawn

not gonna happen. any upgrades will be offered to you( at a price) PRIOR to boarding. there will almost certainly be a sign at the terminal saying no upgrades are available.

the only way to get a free upgrade is to win the Big Bingo Prize.

I would hope that if people were to be upgraded to Royal Suites, that they would first look at those who paid for one category below (Celebrity Suites) and move people accordingly.

I think it is wishful thinking to hope for an upgrade from a standard balcony to a Royal Suite.

Shawn

We're on the Equinox as well on the 2nd in a S1 suite for our honeymoon. I would definitely hope Cekebrity contacts people in suites first. But I guess you'll never know!

When we have booked Interline we have gotten upgrades. That is the only time we've gotten an upgrade. When booking via TA or website we've never had an upgrade.

Same goes with all inclusive resorts. Only upgraded when booking Interline.

I think most places won't / don't give upgrades anymore.

Shawn

Clearly you missed my tongue in cheek response

Clearly you missed my tongue in cheek response

On the contrary...I understood your humorous answer.

However, that being said, I have read posts from people in the past who wish for these upgrades across different categories. It's always nice to have hope, but I can tell you that if the person in the RS beside me had only paid for a Veranda (which is now a VERY large difference in fare), I would be less than happy (lucky they don't make this information public--and I also doubt it happens very often).

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the recent Equinox 1-2-2015 cruise; we had three aqua class cabins--two with all elite members and one with "newbies"--my in-laws. Upon check-in, my in-laws were upgraded to a Sky Suite without warning, provocation or request. They assumed (wrongly) that one of us had upgraded them as a gift, and were just worried about whether their bags would make it to their new suite. (They ultimately did). They never got any explanation of the upgrade; our only immediate question was whether they'd continue to be able to eat with us in Blu (they were).

I did gather (based on bags outside their suite) that the people that had booked the suite originally must have been moved, as their bags were originally delivered to my in-laws suite (so, obviously, they arrived for the cruise). So--I assume someone that booked a Sky Suite was upgraded to a better suite, and my in-laws were subsequently upgraded from AQ to SS. The big puzzle to all of us was that they had no status--but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Celebrity will often upgrade completely new customers so that they get an advance hit at loyalty.

Whatever it is--it was a nice suite, and they were definitely spoiled and enjoyed it! I sure wouldn't have minded it myself, but we were all happy anyway.

I was on a cruise that the first day I went to Guest Service to see if I could upgrade our cabin. They said nothing available. Two days later they gave the Royal Suite away at a Bingo game. I would have paid for the upgrade, but they gave it away...go figure.

I was on a cruise that the first day I went to Guest Service to see if I could upgrade our cabin. They said nothing available. Two days later they gave the Royal Suite away at a Bingo game. I would have paid for the upgrade, but they gave it away...go figure.

They make money doing that. I went to one of those Bingo's (not a regular bingo event - this was held just for the suite) and there were about 300+ people that played one card/one game for $25. Very easy $7500 for Celebrity.:D

They take the winner's name and cabin number and send stewards to your old cabin to pack and move you immediately!!

Edited by Christine Frances

We were on the recent Equinox 1-2-2015 cruise; we had three aqua class cabins--two with all elite members and one with "newbies"--my in-laws. Upon check-in, my in-laws were upgraded to a Sky Suite without warning, provocation or request. They assumed (wrongly) that one of us had upgraded them as a gift, and were just worried about whether their bags would make it to their new suite. (They ultimately did). They never got any explanation of the upgrade; our only immediate question was whether they'd continue to be able to eat with us in Blu (they were).

I did gather (based on bags outside their suite) that the people that had booked the suite originally must have been moved, as their bags were originally delivered to my in-laws suite (so, obviously, they arrived for the cruise). So--I assume someone that booked a Sky Suite was upgraded to a better suite, and my in-laws were subsequently upgraded from AQ to SS. The big puzzle to all of us was that they had no status--but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Celebrity will often upgrade completely new customers so that they get an advance hit at loyalty.

Whatever it is--it was a nice suite, and they were definitely spoiled and enjoyed it! I sure wouldn't have minded it myself, but we were all happy anyway.

I am the one who mentioned the new customer thing earlier. Yet another example it seems. I am glad for your family, but it is quite frustrating for those of us who have been loyal customers for more than 20 years to read such things. Before someone jumps on me, no, I certainly don't expect to be upgraded and I only book what I am happy with at the price I can afford. It's just that these kinds of perks could be used as benefits of a Captains Club level somewhere in-between Elite+ and the only-a-few-can-ever-reach Zenith level. It wouldn't cost them anything, and it could only increase loyalty. Oh well. Perhaps this is one of the downsides of boards like these - some things you are better off not knowing:)

We had friends who went to the bingo game for a PH suite on Azamara Quest. He calculate that they made more for that suite in the bingo game than we had paid for it. Not exactly giving it away!

We were also on that cruise and had booked a Sky Suite 2. When we checked in we were told our cabin was upgraded to a Sky Suite 1, which was a corner aft with a large balcony and bigger cabin. Our luggage was also delivered to our original cabin -I have a feeling your in-laws got our old cabin (2120). We weren't offered an explanation at all. We were happy with it, although I was concerned that the aft might make us queasy with too much movement, but really wasn't an issue. We were select Captain's Club members on that cruise and now Elite for our upcoming July 2015 cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

dmg1204 - Was it a HC room that you were moved from? Several of those SS2 are HC accessible.

Many years ago, my parents, DH and I were on the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. We had booked Cat. D's (regular balcony rooms.) Just after embarkation and sailaway, we noticed a JS HC (Junior Suite) next door to us that remained empty. We ask the purser about upgrading my parents into this stateroom and were willing to pay to do so. They told us that the stateroom was being reserved for the Bingo game. Sure enough, 3 days into the sailing, the winners of Bingo moved into the room. This was for a 7 night cruise. Once I am settled into a stateroom, I would not want to move. :rolleyes: