Earliest opening time for Specialty Restaurants?

Baybear

What's the earliest opening time for the specialty restaurants on Rivieria? Or does it depend on the cruise? I am in an inside cabin, so had to wait until everyone else had reserved them, and noticed that nothing before 6:30 seemed to be available (also nothing between 6:30 and 9PM). So I assume that 6:30 is the earliest they open. That's fine with me... I was just curious...

What's the earliest opening time for the specialty restaurants on Rivieria? Or does it depend on the cruise? I am in an inside cabin, so had to wait until everyone else had reserved them, and noticed that nothing before 6:30 seemed to be available (also nothing between 6:30 and 9PM). So I assume that 6:30 is the earliest they open. That's fine with me... I was just curious...

All dining venues open at 6:30 pm

If you do not see any time slots open for the specialties try a different day

If that fails call Oceania & ask them to see what dates are available

As posted above if you are willing to share a table you may see more openings

Another point is that they don't totally give away all the reservations before the cruise departs, so you could well get something you want once you are on board. The top cabin levels DO have a real advantage here, but you will still get your one reservation per restaurant if you want it. (The number of spots also depends on the length of the cruise; you get more opportunities on longer cruises)

Mura

Thanks all for your informative responses!

I did book four dinners (all at 6:30 which is the time we'd like to eat anyway...), one at each of the specialties (All I am allowed at this point), and when I get on board will see what I can do to repeat some of them...

Although from what I read, the MDR is almost or "just as good" as the specialties... So I'm sure we won't be disappointed in any case!

Here's a hint that worked for us. Try to get a reservation for the first night of the cruise once you're on board. Most people are pretty busy that night and don't book this night in advance.

I did book four dinners (all at 6:30 which is the time we'd like to eat anyway...), one at each of the specialties (All I am allowed at this point), and when I get on board will see what I can do to repeat some of them...

That's fine, but please be aware that it is not a first come, first served, free for all, once you get onboard the ship.

Reservations are held back partially to accommodate those passengers who haven't booked pre-cruise, so you'll be asked to give "everyone a chance" before you'll be granted Reservations beyond your allotment.

Here's a hint that worked for us. Try to get a reservation for the first night of the cruise once you're on board. Most people are pretty busy that night and don't book this night in advance.

You are giving away our "secrets" :D:D

Thanks all for your informative responses!

Although from what I read, the MDR is almost or "just as good" as the specialties... So I'm sure we won't be disappointed in any case!

Don't forget about dining at the Terrace Café (which we find better and more convenient than the MDR).

...Reservations are held back partially to accommodate those passengers who haven't booked pre-cruise, so you'll be asked to give "everyone a chance" before you'll be granted Reservations beyond your allotment.

This is *exactly* what we were told on our 16 day Dec 2014 cruise on Marina.

Not sure if this is always the case, but we were told to ask in the morning regarding that evening's bookings (that is, they weren't doing "extra" reservations for future days). We only asked once, and got an "extra" turn - sharing, and half an hour later than our first choice, but who can complain? A little flexibility helps a lot.

A word of advice. Tip of the Day. For either the MDR or the Terrace, don't show up a 6:30. You'll end up in a line and/or ran over by people, wheelchairs, & walkers that are starving to death and upset that they have to wait so late to eat! :eek: If one waits until nearer to 7, for those venues, things are much calmer and more relaxing even if you don't get the perfect table you wanted. Service is also much better, if you wait a little, because you don't have all those other people there wanting their drinks, food, or to even order immediately.

Some of that early crowd will be off to a show after dinner, while many of them head off to bed by 21:00.

A word of advice. Tip of the Day. For either the MDR or the Terrace, don't show up a 6:30. You'll end up in a line and/or ran over by people, wheelchairs, & walkers that are starving to death and upset that they have to wait so late to eat! :eek: If one waits until nearer to 7, for those venues, things are much calmer and more relaxing even if you don't get the perfect table you wanted. Service is also much better, if you wait a little, because you don't have all those other people there wanting their drinks, food, or to even order immediately.

Some of that early crowd will be off to a show after dinner, while many of them head off to bed by 21:00.

Pretty nasty way to put it but you are right which is why we dine in suite or specialties only.

Totally agree with no rambunctious line in the Main Dining Room -- we dine in the MDR almost every night, because the rambunctious crowed is up in the Terrace rushing to get a table or pushing into the buffet lines, no matter what time it is. They might not be there at 6:30 because they'll be done eating in half an hour so...There may be as many as (gasp!) 10 people lined up at the MDR doors (because the doors are closed, doh) at 6:30, but usually not. By 6:32 the line is gone. Because the show is at 9:30 at the earliest, that offers almost 3 full hours to relax, have a great conversation with new friends while being royally served all the courses, with no other guests running around to get more grub. The ones who complain about slow service and have to rush for the show are the ones who come in later...

Edited by hondorner

I agree with Don that one of the nice things about dining in the MDR is the opportunity to eat at a leisurely pace. We enjoy evening trivia followed by the show and find that two hours is a very pleasant pace while on vacation. Of course those of you with whom I have dined already know that I am one of the slowest eaters you have encountered because I do enjoy dinner conversation!