RCCL Uses a Child to Slip Between the Horns & ROOK Thousands of Guests

A poorly maintained ship creates the need for shortened itineraries and guests are COMPENSATED on ALL cruises EXCEPT where the life of a child was involved.

While the captain and his medical crew did a HEROIC job where this child and the family was concerned (& the shipboard crew was AMAZING from start to finish), RCCL USED THE INCIDENT TO EXCUSE SHORTENED PORT TIMES AND MISSING AN ENTIRE PORT...which was actually due to the missing prop... WITH $0 COMPENSATION.

Their land-side team offers canned responses, quoting contract terms, with NO OTHER ANSWER ON THE TABLE.

I'm a second time cruiser and will never go back.

Way to go, RCCL! :mad:

Write to Royal Caribbean at this address:

Corporate Guest Relations

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

or call

(800) 256-6649

or email

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do?ref=postcmnt

or give up and go back to Carnival. If Royal Caribbean can't make you happy, go where you have been happy before.

Maybe less hyperbole and more facts? I am not sure what happened, I am not sure what other thread we are talking about.

You missed a port because a child was sick and the ship had to handle that, but you believe the real reason was because of a mechanical issue, and you are seeking some type of compensation. Is that what is going on here?

Edited by twindaddy

Maybe less hyperbole and more facts? I am not sure what happened, I am not sure what other thread we are talking about.

You missed a port because a child was sick and the ship had to handle that, but you believe the real reason was because of a mechanical issue, and you are seeking some type of compensation. Is that what is going on here?

I too have no idea what OP is talking about! Very confusing post

He/She/It was on the Freedom in December.

The Freedom has been experiencing A LOT of mechanical problems. (propulsion, I believe)

Several cruises have been affected: slower cruising time, so time in port has been cut and shortened.

On a couple of cruises, the passengers received varying amounts of OBC as compensation.

There was no compensation on the OP's cruise.

Freedom had been having problems, was going slower, and was changing itineraries last minute. They were giving some compensation to the cruises before the OP's. They gave compensation to the cruises after.

They did NOT give the same compensation for the OP's sailing. They had changed the itinerary. They also missed a port. And the reason for that was because of a child that had to be taken back to port. Royal is saying that the reason for missing it was the child. But if the ship had been at full speed they wouldn't have missed it.

The OP is actually in the right. Royal is being ridiculous. But the OP doesn't get support because of the way it's all being said.

Freedom had been having problems, was going slower, and was changing itineraries last minute. They were giving some compensation to the cruises before the OP's. They gave compensation to the cruises after.

They did NOT give the same compensation for the OP's sailing. They had changed the itinerary. They also missed a port. And the reason for that was because of a child that had to be taken back to port. Royal is saying that the reason for missing it was the child. But if the ship had been at full speed they wouldn't have missed it.

The OP is actually in the right. Royal is being ridiculous. But the OP doesn't get support because of the way it's all being said.

Thank you. Sounds reasonable to me, cough up some OBC or future cruise credit.

It is possible BOTH problems caused them to miss a port, and Royal is looking for a slimy way out.

I would imagine their rationale is "Well, with our busted prop, we would have to shorten the port time, but because Timmy got sick we had to miss the port entirely, so your are screwed"

Still slimy, IMHO, but I would image maybe that is where they are coming from?

OP, I was on the FOS 12/7 sailing and I agree with everything you are saying. Royal Caribbean is using the medical emergency to wash their hands of us. Convenient excuse to save them money. I have no problem with the way the emergency was handled, only the way we were treated like garbage. They have lost a customer forever and I will never recommend such an unethical company.

The OP didn't give any understandable idea of what went on. Difficult to offer any support when you have no idea what they are talking about. The title was completely nonsensical. Perhaps 'rook' means something in the US but it doesn't here.

Anyway, with your sensible explanation, yes it seems that RCI should give some compensation.

The OP didn't give any understandable idea of what went on. Difficult to offer any support when you have no idea what they are talking about. The title was completely nonsensical. Perhaps 'rook' means something in the US but it doesn't here.

Anyway, with your sensible explanation, yes it seems that RCI should give some compensation.

to rook = to cheat

Agreed. If you want to make a new topic, explain what it's about.

OP, I was on the FOS 12/7 sailing and I agree with everything you are saying. Royal Caribbean is using the medical emergency to wash their hands of us. Convenient excuse to save them money. I have no problem with the way the emergency was handled, only the way we were treated like garbage. They have lost a customer forever and I will never recommend such an unethical company.

Why not contact RCCL and ask them as a gesture of goodwill if they will let you cancel your Oasis cruise due to the problems you had and how unhappy you are with them?

You'll be able to feedback directly to them that they have lost you as a customer.

I thought the Horns and Rook was a new bar on the promenade.:rolleyes:

This has been debated to death in thread on Freedom's mechanical problems! Must we go through this again? The horse has been dead for days. Ma'am, sorry you're upset. This thread will not change that for you or anyone else. Enjoy your next cruise on whatever line you choose.

Edited by pennielz

I've spoken with corporate and they refuse ownership of any problem and will not give us any compensation or percent off a future cruise. At this point it's the principle, not the money. They will not allow me to cancel my oasis cruise without penalty (past final payment). RCI is dead to me. I wrote a review detailing this scam (member reviews). RCI should have given us the option to cancel with full refund before the cruise.

I've spoken with corporate and they refuse ownership of any problem and will not give us any compensation or percent off a future cruise. At this point it's the principle, not the money. They will not allow me to cancel my oasis cruise without penalty (past final payment). RCI is dead to me. I wrote a review detailing this scam (member reviews). RCI should have given us the option to cancel with full refund before the cruise.

you want to cancel because you're going to miss a little time in ports?

Enjoy Carnival. Hope they bring you happiness in 2015

I believe you meant to say that they've lost a customer AFTER your Oasis cruise.....

Have fun on Carnival.

I was on that cruise and the one before it. We did et compensation for the first cruise because of a total change in itinerary and short port times.Many of us also had very long waits in the hot sun before bording.

The Dec 7th cruise was nothing like that at all. A child was seriously ill and we missed ONE port and spent less time at the others because we lost time taking the child back to a previous port. the child did recover because of that action. All actions taken by the cruise line appear to be for the safety and well being of the passengers. Wanting compensation seems to me to be GREED!

While I have not been following this issue very closely as the mechanical issue with the Freedom happened so close to the scheduled full dry-dock for Freedom and that the issue would be fully resolved soon.

This issue did almost effect me as well as I had noted on the Going, Going Gone sale in November that they had some amazing cruise fares on Freedom. These included just 125% deals for solos even, something that is very enticing for me.

I did not book and on the 29th of November I noticed a post on CC that the Freedom would be late in port, I then saw the posts on the cruise where the passengers were disappointed with the full change in itinerary when the ship went in to the Bahamas to have the one propeller removed.

But then came this incident with the ship returning to the Cayman Islands and I was amazed at the low level of the posts, even going as far to say that the sick child did not really exist and was just made up as an excuse and at that point I was sure glad I did not book that 'amazing' offer that RCI had put on the Going, Going Gone sale.

We now see Holiday sailing cruisers posting the great OBC offer they had been 'given' of $425, without relating that to the 'premium' pricing they had paid for their holiday cruise.

I can understand why RCI have went out of their way to make holiday cruisers happy as these tend to be very loyal customers in every sense of the word loyal, paying a premium, booking multiple cabins and returning year after year for these premium sailings.

I found it interesting when trying to 'fish' for pricing for all the Freedom sailings over at a website that helps cruisers compare previous pricing on cruises that the sailing from the 7th of December is currently not represented there.

I was on 2 other sailings that disappeared from that 'pricing' website, the 2 November Quantum TA sailing and the 14th of October Oasis TA. These sailings eventually returned to that website, where others could see that the 20 or 25% Future Cruise Credits, FCCs, for some cruisers did not amount to the rather significant amounts for others, as some had gotten such amazing pricing on those sailings as well.

So, to sum up, the situations faced on the various Freedom sailings have not been the same and that is possibly why RCI is not handling them in exactly the same way.

I am not excusing this behavior, but just pointing this fact out.

I got hit with similar behavior on one of my sailings last year where I had a 'great' deal on an OS and 2 GS's, but I had to just decide if I would accept it and move on or if I 'would never sail with RCI again'

Sorry if I am maybe being too pragmatic here.