Oceania vs SilverSea, and few Oceania questions

KLB10

Merriem: I always respect your opinions and posts -- they are always well thought out:-) I was flabbergasted when I read the report of the failed inspection on Silversea. We sailed on the Shadow a few weeks after the inspection. Had we been able to cancel, we would have done so. In retrospect, I am glad that we took the cruise. You could have eaten off floor -- the ship was immaculate (the way it should always be). We were "inspecting" everything we could out of fear that we would could become ill from spoiled food.

Wendy, it isn't easy for us to flip between luxury and non-luxury cruises as you, OctoberKat and your cruising friends do. The policy differences on Oceania (too many to go into right now) do not give us the type of cruising experience that we are seeking. Our priorities have changed over the years. When prices began skyrocketing, we did cut back on the number of cruises that we take.

Sorry that the clarity in my brain is not translating into my post. I have retyped every paragraph about 3 times and it isn't getting much better. Perhaps drugs and posting simply do not mix (don't want to give the wrong impression -- they are prescription pain meds that are definitely necessary right now).

The bottom line for me (I think) is that Oceania has two ships that could have easily have been considered luxury ships that are clean, have fabulous service and very good food (IMO, Silversea's equivalent to Oceania Terrace Café is dramatically better.). On the less than positive side, Silversea has had their issues in the past but they remain a luxury cruise line.

Paulchili, think that you will agree that Silversea has some of the most unique itineraries of any luxury or premium cruise line.

Hi Jackie. Hope all is well and that your New Year started out beautifully. Happy New Year to you both.

Joan

Just want to thank you for your post. Things are starting out a big slow but should be picking up in a few weeks. Hoping that 2015 is one of your best years ever!

Wendy, it isn't easy for us to flip between luxury and non-luxury cruises as you, OctoberKat and your cruising friends do. The policy differences on Oceania (too many to go into right now) do not give us the type of cruising experience that we are seeking. Our priorities have changed over the years. When prices began skyrocketing, we did cut back on the number of cruises that we take.

The bottom line for me (I think) is that Oceania has two ships that could have easily have been considered luxury ships that are clean, have fabulous service and very good food (IMO, Silversea's equivalent to Oceania Terrace Café is dramatically better.). On the less than positive side, Silversea has had their issues in the past but they remain a luxury cruise line.

Jackie - Happy New Year! But I agree with Wendy - I love both Regent and Oceania and that said our last Regent cruise (Trans-Atlantic 2012) was not the best one we have ever taken from the point of view of Suite, Food, Service etc. Our one Oceania cruise the following year was, we think, the best we have ever taken. And we are eagerly looking forward to 1 april when we sail with them again. But that is by-the-by

What I would like to take issue with is your statement that "Oceania has two ships that could have easily been considered luxury ships, that are clean, have fabulous service and very good food" quoted above. Oceania has five ships and soon will have six. Do you mean that only two of Oceania's ships are clean and have good food? I don't think you do, but it does read that way!

And I think that Oceania IS luxury cruising, but luxury "à la carte" so to speak. In other words you choose what you want included and then get it included be it drinks or excursions. I think in the past you and I have seen eye-to-eye on the Regent excursion "policy" which I feel anyway makes Regent way too expensive and I do not like paying for excursions I see no need to take. And one man's (or woman's) luxury is not necessarily anothers. Oceania's priority policies fit my understanding of luxury and I know they don't fit yours...

Anyway like Wendy I think we will choose which line we want to take based on itinerary/date/price. But for the moment I rather prefer Oceania...

And for the gentleman who started this thread - drinks costs... if you add in the $59.95/day Premium Beverage Package ALL your drinks are included. If you don't, and have a Bloody Mary at lunchtime, a cocktail (or two) before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a digestif afterwards you will pay quite a bit more than $59.95 pp / day. So if I were you I would add in the package, look at the TOTAL cruise fare you are paying and then compare costs to Silversea...

For me luxury is lots of space per passenger, no lines or looking for a seat. Unrushed service in all areas with plenty of time to talk to the server and a good size room at all price points with a veranda. Free booze or shore trips has nothing to do with it for me.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I think I can agree with my Swiss friend.... Oceania is a luxury line. I can say this after some 78 days aboard Regent Mariner in numerous cruises across the pacific..

I see no difference except to say the design of the Marina much better than the Mariner.

Food.. a mixed bag but Oceania because of Waves and Jacques takes the edge. Service...both the same.

Regent has the edge for entertainment.... I mean imagine Paul Williams for 3 weeks and Jean Michele Cousteau for enrichment... come on !!!

But both are solidly in the full luxury camp in my opinion..each has features the other doesn't have but the differences are a wash in my book. Oceania has the same depth or resources but doesn't smother you with them....However all you have to do is ask..if you want.

I loved Regent when it was like Oceania, but then they added the shore ex, and booze. and kicked the prices through the roof.

Too, I think the total all inclusive package attracted a different sort of traveler more interested in not having to put forth any effort....less traveled and more interested in being taken care of; The sort who likes gratification and being fawned over .

I loved Regent when it was like Oceania, but then they added the shore ex, and booze. and kicked the prices through the roof.

Too, I think the total all inclusive package attracted a different sort of traveler more interested in not having to put forth any effort....less traveled and more interested in being taken care of; The sort who likes gratification and being fawned over .

Not too sure about the latter but I too preferred Regent when excursions weren't included. If you have travelled a lot chances are you have been to the place before and know where you want to go. Oceania lets me arrange my own excursions without my thinking that I have already paid for theirs... yet if we go somewhere we don't know, or don't speak the language, we are happy to pay their prices for the one or two per cruise we want to take.

For us, the Mayan ruins were a case in point. Never been there before and loved the tours, the guides etc. Next cruise for Bermuda and Madeira we've been to both often. And in Gibraltar what we want to see isn't offered as a tour so we'll do it on our own... Choice is also luxury I think and including excursions on a mandatory basis (mandatory that you pay for them even if you don't use them) limits my choice.

Why do you feel all-inclusive cruise lines attract a "..traveler more interested in not having to put forth any effort...less traveled and more interested in being taken care of..". What effort, why less traveled, and what's wrong about "being taken care of"?

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

There are lots of reasons for wanting to be "taken care of" and it's not for us to judge. We tend to do our own touring (whether booking a private tour, joining someone else's private tour or just walking around on our own) but we have frequently taken ship's tours. Sometimes it's been because it's a small place and Oceania's tours have already gotten all the available guides! Sometimes it's because of language problems, or it's easier to do a place with the official tour.

If some people feel insecure about going around on their own in a foreign place where they don't speak the language, and choose to use the ship's tour, that's their right.

Dan may be right in that SOMETIMES it's a matter of laziness, or not wanting to take the time to make your own arrangements. But I don't think you can categorize all people who use ship's tours primarily in this fashion.

JMO.

Mura

The OP is considering SILVERSEA for $800 more.

They do not include excursions and for the difference in money if Alcohol and the lack of a Veranda makes a difference - I would recommend he go with Silversea. It's $59.95 per person per day for the Oceania package.

If a Veranda is the deciding factor then Oceania. However if he is considering Regatta -- he might weigh the small size of the cabin also.

I would be interested if who if anyone have been on Silversea (only see Merriem/Paul) that can compare.

KLB10 -- you can take your Terrace breakfast back to your room for your DW. I have done this many times - also with Lunch on Waves or some Pizza for Lunch.

Edited by PaulMCO

Hi, would you be so kind and elaborate about your drastic negative attitude towards Silversea?

The following was posted by Merriem just a few days ago and may give insight into her attitude...

"First of all I respect your opinions. However I do not know how Silversea can be considered a luxury line. We were on the Shadow in Asia. There was dirty water coming out of the faucets in the bathrooms, poor food. I know there are died in the wool Silversea fans, but we were shocked. It was after this that this ship flunked it health inspection in Alaska. I felt the food on oceania was really good, and the service outstanding. It was much more luxury."

I would be interested if who if anyone have been on Silversea (only see Merriem/Paul) that can compare.

PaulMCO - we've been on 5 O cruises (pre-Marina/Riviera, R-ships only) and 6 SS Mainstream cruises (all on Silver Cloud/Wind). We've also done some expedition cruises on SS but they aren't a real comparison.

Were you looking for any particular comparison? Happy to elaborate with any specific comparisons, though our experience with O is getting to be a few years old now.

PaulMCO - we've been on 5 O cruises (pre-Marina/Riviera, R-ships only) and 6 SS Mainstream cruises (all on Silver Cloud/Wind). We've also done some expedition cruises on SS but they aren't a real comparison.

Were you looking for any particular comparison? Happy to elaborate with any specific comparisons, though our experience with O is getting to be a few years old now.

Sorry JP -- you misunderstood. I was being a little snarky as many of the comments were comparing O with Regent and many comments are from people who do not travel with Silversea. We have done both O and Silversea.

Hi, would you be so kind and elaborate about your drastic negative attitude towards Silversea?

We are in Ecuador right now, but in a nutshell...it was not worth the money at all. Plain and simple. I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line, but between these two I would choose Oceania.

We have been on Regent's Navigator (more than once) with brown water coming out of the taps. This is a problem that some older ships have. The tanks that hold the water on the ships do not know whether they are tanks on a luxury cruise line or a mainstream cruise line. I do believe that Silversea fixed up its act after the failed inspection 18 months ago.

The one thing I dislike about Silversea is the formality. However, I must say that I dislike the informality on Oceania even more. Oceania cruisers dress just fine in the specialty restaurants and main dining room. However, a lot of people dine in the Terrace Café and the majority of these people wear shorts (not dress shorts -- sloppy shorts) or sloppy jeans and t-shirts. So, while wandering around the beautiful ship at night - running into these underdressed people, makes the ship feel much more mainstream than luxury.

In terms of defining luxury, it is not just about service either. There are many cruise lines with great service and some have food in the specialty restaurants that meet or exceed those on luxury lines. It is a whole package -- food, service, suites (not tiny rooms mixed in with suites), the way guests are treated on the ship (with respect), etc. One little difference between Oceania and Silversea or Regent is that you cannot special order a meal in the main dining room for the next night (unless you have food restrictions) on Oceania. On Silversea or Regent you can order just about anything that the kitchen has the ingredients to make - with 24 hours notice.

In any event, I enjoy Oceania very much but do not see it as a true luxury cruise line (nor does their CEO, Frank Del Rio).

In any event, I enjoy Oceania very much but do not see it as a true luxury cruise line (nor does their CEO, Frank Del Rio).

I have a feeling that Mr. Del Rio's definition of luxury is liable to become a lot broader now that his responsibilities have......ahem......increased. ;)