Feeling Sad and Asking for Prayers

Cruzin Terri

Like Kazu said, I had tears in my eyes reading this thread and your Live from thread when you advised that you had to cancel your cruise. I totally understand how you can feel defeated right now. I wish that I could also give you a big hug right now. Your BIL is very lucky to have both of you in his life.

As for planning another cruise, well, the third time's the charm, right? Go ahead, book it and plan away. Maybe just book a shorter cruise to somewhere you've been lots of times so that you can just relax on the cruise and don't feel the need to get off the ship unless you really want to.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure it will be the right thing for you and your husband. All the best to you, your husband and your BIL.

Terri, I wish I could tell you in person how wonderful you are. Your selfless love and dedication to family jumped out as us when we had the pleasure of your company. You and Jim provide exceptional loving care to Eugene in the same manner you took care of your mother. This has been a trying year and you have every reason to feel sad. However this too shall pass and better days are ahead. You will travel and cruise again, I'm sure of it and hopefully we will sail with you again.

As those of you who started to follow my blog know, we had to cancel yet another cruise at the last minute.

My brother-in-law, who is developmentally disabled, and for whom we are his guardians became ill after we arrived in Fort Lauderdale to take part of the Grand South America Voyage.

We had to cancel and turn around and drive home.

He had severe kidney problems. There were mixed reports in the beginning from Gi Bleeds, to God knows what and we were getting all kinds of information second hand. We could not leave a hired caregiver, as good as she is, to make major health decisions for him.

He has several kidney stones, but one that is too huge to pass. A stent was inserted. He will have surgery on Thursday morning to remove the kidney stone. I ask for prayers for him. He doesn't understand what is happening to him. He cannot express himself very well and has a very high tolerance for pain. That's why we didn't know anything was wrong.

He was in the hospital from Friday to Sunday. He will be in the hospital again on Thursday and Friday. He will then need another procedure to remove several other kidney stones in both kidneys. Hospitals scare him.

Today I started unpacking the luggage and all the things we did not use. It just seemed so final. I know I was feeling sorry for myself. It is the second cruise in less than six months that we had to cancel on the day before it was to begin. As I was putting my things away I just had such a sad feeling. I wonder whether we should even try to book another cruise. I feel like we have a dark cloud over our heads.

I know I'm pouring my heart out here. But just the way I'm feeling right now.

Please say a prayer for Eugene. He's going through a lot right now. And he's such a trouper.

Terri

Terri, I had been following the blog you recently started for this cruise and couldn't believe you had to cancel and drive back home to supervise your b-I-l's hospitalization and surgery.

You have every right to feel depressed at losing yet another vacation cruise, especially with your b-I-l's ongoing problems there seems no respite for you.

Prayers for all of you. Also, I definitely think you need to book another cruise, at least a shorter one to give you some relaxation to look forward to after Eugene's kidney stones are out.

Edited by NMLady

My brother-in-law, who is developmentally disabled, and for whom we are his guardians became ill after we arrived in Fort Lauderdale to take part of the Grand South America Voyage.

We had to cancel and turn around and drive home.

He was in the hospital from Friday to Sunday. He will be in the hospital again on Thursday and Friday. He will then need another procedure to remove several other kidney stones in both kidneys. Hospitals scare him.

Today I started unpacking the luggage and all the things we did not use. It just seemed so final. I know I was feeling sorry for myself. It is the second cruise in less than six months that we had to cancel on the day before it was to begin. As I was putting my things away I just had such a sad feeling. I wonder whether we should even try to book another cruise. I feel like we have a dark cloud over our heads.

I know I'm pouring my heart out here. But just the way I'm feeling right now.

Please say a prayer for Eugene. He's going through a lot right now. And he's such a trouper.

Terri

Terri, please feel free to pour your heart out as often as you want.

We understand part of what you are going through as we are the parents of a developmentally disabled child who had to have a very serious surgery. She was afraid of everyone in the medical profession and couldn't understand what was happening. This scenario alone caused us to be extremely depressed.

Perhaps you and your husband need to discuss the situation with your primary care providers and/or your spiritual advisors. It may be they could help you to get over this dark cloud over your head feeling. My recommendation is don't book another cruise at this time. Wait until you are feeling a little better.

Of course we will be praying for Eugene and we will be praying for you also.

Oh Terri, I felt so badly for you after reading your initial post. I feel sad for all of you. You are exhausted and disappointed, and what you are currently feeling is to be expected. This feeling of despair will pass. You will do other cruises. Holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Again thanks for your prayers. I am doing better now that I have every last thing unpacked and put away. I don't have to look at the stuff anymore.

Eugene is resting comfortably. He will have his surgery tomorrow morning at 8 am and stay overnight in the hospital. Jim will stay with him.

We are all very tired and yes, we will get through this.

You all are wonderfully supportive and I am very appreciative of that.

Terri

I had just recently found your blog and was looking forward to traveling along with you on your cruise. My heart just sank when I logged on and saw that you were cancelling and heading home. I can't even begin to imagine how disappointed you were.

You and your husband are very special people...I am confident of that even though I don't know you. I am praying that God will comfort your family through this time and bring your BIL safely through his surgery.

Don't give up on doing your cruise...sometimes having a dream to look forward to is what it takes to get through the tough times in life.

This sounds like a long shot, but did we meet you, your husband and brother in law on a cruise on the Eurodam a few years ago. If so, your brother in law was loving the new guy in the Crows Nest, Michael. Anyway, I hate that you are missing another cruise, but love that you and your husband take such good care of his brother.

P.S. This was Michael's first job and his dad was with him.

This sounds like a long shot, but did we meet you, your husband and brother in law on a cruise on the Eurodam a few years ago. If so, your brother in law was loving the new guy in the Crows Nest, Michael. Anyway, I hate that you are missing another cruise, but love that you and your husband take such good care of his brother.

P.S. This was Michael's first job and his dad was with him.

We have never been on the Eurodam.

Thanks for your concern and everyone else.

Terri

So sorry for your problems. I too have a developmentally disabled sister and understand all you have on your mind. It is becoming even more on my mind as our mother, her primary caregiver, gets older. I'm sending positive thoughts for your strength and your BIL's health.