Not Another Dress Code Topic

djhsolara

So what they are saying on their WEB site with the multiple use of the weasel word "suggested" and "usually" is essentially that they would like you to dress appropriately but when it comes down to it, paint splattered jeans and a t-shirt are OK.

Why not change the wording on their WEB site to "wear whatever you want to for evening dinner" since that is what their verbiage comes down to.

DON

In response to my own post, I should add that I am not happy with this verbiage. Make the rules absolute rules and enforce them absolutely and w/o any exceptions.

DON

A policy that is not enforced is worthless and creates I'll will. Since they won't enforce it just get rid of it. Then no one can be upset.

Well, you know that's not true. If they got rid of the policy then people would be complaining about how much better it was before. People who like to complain will always find something to complain about.

Well, you know that's not true. If they got rid of the policy then people would be complaining about how much better it was before. People who like to complain will always find something to complain about.

You may have a point there. My point was if the rules are done away with, no one can complain about the rule being broken. You are right, they will still find something else to fill that void in their heart.

Every brochure says something like this, which is from the ReadySetSail cruise catalog: "The two-tier main Dining Room with its sea views, white linens, sparkling crystal, and Rosenthal china, elevates each dining occasion." That's what they are selling us.

It is not unreasonable to want the ambiance of said "elevated" experience to include enforcement of the suggested dress code. Those who respect the attire suggestions, the occasion and their fellow diners' right to a somewhat upscale experience are not out of line if they feel offended. Those who do not respect these things, including those who don't enforce the code, are doing the offending.

MO. Aim your flame throwers somewhere else (need a suggestion as to where?).

Those that don't follow the "suggested" dress code probably have no idea of the difference between Rosenthal China and Melamine plates.:rolleyes:

Yes the current policy is not always enforced but in my opinion if you dropped the dress code entirely there will be many more complaints when the atmosphere is like eating at a greasy spoon diner.

You don't have any of these complains on lines today that've dropped it (Crystal, Oceania, Azamara, NCL, Regent, etc etc etc). Someone in shorts is't ruining my dinner anymore than an old man wearing a tux 4 sizes too small made from material that should've thrown out in 1967.

I can't wait until they officially go formal optional like virtually every other upscale line. So many feelings will be saved.

Shorts aren't cool but I couldn't care less what someone else seas.

Well, I do. No shorts or tattered jeans on a formal night. Also they should not allow hats on men in the dining room. If a man wore a hat in my home I would ask him to remove it or leave. I was brought up to believe to wear a hat indoors is ignorant.:(

I am in no way suggesting that HAL abolish formal nights.

Quite the opposite in fact.

I would like to see HAL wake up and smell the coffee similar to Celebrity and Princess. By that I mean continue with formal in the MDR and provide a reasonable alternative dining venue such as Pinnacle or some other flavour of it. When we cruise on either of these lines we usually select formal nights to attend since both of these cruise lines offer good casual dining alternatives on formal evenings.....unlike HAL.

It seems like just good business to me to provide two good options.

I do not consider Pinnacle casual - perhaps The Canaleto.:rolleyes:

My DW and I were looking at a HAL cruise as an alternative to Celebrity. Are there alternative specialty restaurants on the Westerdam that are cruise casual on Formal Nights? (Just in case I don't feel like bringing a dark suit just to dine in the Caribbean in April.)

YES - Canaleto.

I think it's a matter of money for the ships. As previously stated, society as a whole no longer dresses up for work, funerals, church, etc, so they don't want to dress up for cruises either. Why book a stuffy cruise when you can relax and go casual elsewhere? If more and more people feel this way, the ships will lose a lot of business, especially new business. The ships have to accommodate more types of people to make more money.

As a new cruiser myself the thought of dressing up made me cringe. So we book more family style cruises. I'd rather cruise casual with a bunch of kids then dress up.

You don't have any of these complains on lines today that've dropped it (Crystal, Oceania, Azamara, NCL, Regent, etc etc etc).

I won't speak to how it is on the other lines, but I can speak to Oceania as I have sailed on that line.

People on Oceania don't have any reason to complain about how their fellow guests are dressed, as everyone dresses nicely. The code may be "smart casual", but it is adhered to, unlike on HAL. Their idea of "smart casual" is several levels higher than many people on HAL dress. They come in from their day, clean up, and dress for dinner in something other than daywear.

Well, I do. No shorts or tattered jeans on a formal night. Also they should not allow hats on men in the dining room. If a man wore a hat in my home I would ask him to remove it or leave. I was brought up to believe to wear a hat indoors is ignorant.:(

If you ate in a steakhouse, and there was a table of people in hats, would you go ask them to remove them?

I too believe that hats can show a lack of respect, but when people enter my home I invite them in as they are. If that means they wear a hat, so be it. If others look down on people for not dressing up, it doesn't affect me.

My motto: Dress up for yourself, and stop worrying about what everybody else is doing in life. It's called a vacation people! :D

I cruised on the Eurodam for one cruise -- it was spring break-- everyone was dressed nicely as we went to the Ocean Bar before the Main seating. We were sitting there enjoying our pre dinner drinks when a group sat in the banquette next to us. I didn't notice them, but my grandson did, he asked why were those folks dressed like that, (very quietly, no one else heard). They were wearing daisy dukes, beater shirts and, unfortunately, behaving in a less than appropriate manner. I quietly explained to him I would tell him later.

I understand than the Ocean Bar isn't the MDR, but even I was surprised at the outfits on HAL. I have no idea where they had dinner. Just my two cents.

I cruised on the Eurodam for one cruise -- it was spring break-- everyone was dressed nicely as we went to the Ocean Bar before the Main seating. We were sitting there enjoying our pre dinner drinks when a group sat in the banquette next to us. I didn't notice them, but my grandson did, he asked why were those folks dressed like that, (very quietly, no one else heard). They were wearing daisy dukes, beater shirts and, unfortunately, behaving in a less than appropriate manner. I quietly explained to him I would tell him later.

Well brought up grandson: He didn't use his "outside voice". Too bad. ;)

I won't speak to how it is on the other lines, but I can speak to Oceania as I have sailed on that line.

People on Oceania don't have any reason to complain about how their fellow guests are dressed, as everyone dresses nicely. The code may be "smart casual", but it is adhered to, unlike on HAL. Their idea of "smart casual" is several levels higher than many people on HAL dress. They come in from their day, clean up, and dress for dinner in something other than daywear.

One of many reasons we have drifted toward O. Most enjoyable it is.

If you ate in a steakhouse, and there was a table of people in hats, would you go ask them to remove them?

I too believe that hats can show a lack of respect, but when people enter my home I invite them in as they are. If that means they wear a hat, so be it. If others look down on people for not dressing up, it doesn't affect me.

My motto: Dress up for yourself, and stop worrying about what everybody else is doing in life. It's called a vacation people! :D

I realize that neither a restaurant nor a cruise ship is a church, but you would not believe how often I have had to ask men - not just boys - to remove their hats (read: ballcaps, sometimes backwards) in church. Custom is still custom, and manners are manners.

I realize that neither a restaurant nor a cruise ship is a church, but you would not believe how often I have had to ask men - not just boys - to remove their hats (read: ballcaps, sometimes backwards) in church. Custom is still custom, and manners are manners.

Holland America definitely needs to hire more Tony like Maitre d's ...

We tend to use the Italian hand gestures in our family -- you know the nudge, nudge, nod, nod -- of course he wears a tux a lot since he is a orchestral tuba player, so he knows the rules for the dress codes.

Ruth,

when I first posted about my grandson asking about these folks, I was flamed about him being a MOMMAs boy -- thank you for understanding about bringing up children properly.

Ruth,

when I first posted about my grandson asking about these folks, I was flamed about him being a MOMMAs boy -- thank you for understanding about bringing up children properly.

I guess you've got to consider the source of those comments:rolleyes:. You ought to be applauded for that, not flamed. Somehow it doesn't surprise me on this board.