France river cruise security

SunFun2013

We have taken four river cruises in Europe during the past two years and noticed the lack of security while boarding the boat or at stops along the river.

Our next river cruise is scheduled for April 2014 in France and we were looking forward to it. Last night, on the local news, a security expert gave examples of soft targets in France and river cruises were high on the list due to poor security and American travelers.

We took out insurance with last minute cancellation for any reason. Should we cancel? Can anyone trust French police/security?

We have taken four river cruises in Europe during the past two years and noticed the lack of security while boarding the boat or at stops along the river.

Our next river cruise is scheduled for April 2014 in France and we were looking forward to it. Last night, on the local news, a security expert gave examples of soft targets in France and river cruises were high on the list due to poor security and American travelers.

We took out insurance with last minute cancellation for any reason. Should we cancel? Can anyone trust French police/security?

I'd be more concerned with the security flying to France from the US. Only the flight crews and passengers are screened before boarding the plane. The people who work on and service the plane from behind security do NOT get screened when they report to work everyday. That scares me a whole lot more than security on the river boat. But you're right, I've been on 6 river cruises and aside from having to return my boarding pass in exchange for my room key, there is no security on the dock or near the ship and when the boats are rafted, anyone can pass through. But I wouldn't cancel my trip to France. Security will be much stricter in France tomorrow than it was yesterday....and lets face it, no body is safe today no matter where they are so you might as well go.

Can anyone trust American police/security?

While river cruises might not have the boarding security that ocean cruises do, we were always greeted by an officer when re-boarding our river cruise and they knew exactly who we were and that we belonged on that ship. The couple of times that we were barged against another ship, there was ship's personnel standing on both sides of the "walk through" ensuring those who didn't belong on that ship didn't get to wander around.

If you're really worried, then cancel - that will make room for those of us not willing to stay at home and never travel again.

It would be quite easy to hit a river boat with an RPG from the river bank. What kind of security do you think should be employed by river cruise lines and small ships operating in the EU, nearby countries?

You do realize that in 13+ years TSA has yet to catch a terrorist at an airport security checkpoint. The same can be said by the private security checkpoints utilized by the big cruise lines here in the states.

Stay home and hunker down in your bunker.:rolleyes:

It would be quite easy to hit a river boat with an RPG from the river bank. What kind of security do you think should be employed by river cruise lines and small ships operating in the EU, nearby countries?

You do realize that in 13+ years TSA has yet to catch a terrorist at an airport security checkpoint. The same can be said by the private security checkpoints utilized by the big cruise lines here in the states.

Stay home and hunker down in your bunker.:rolleyes:

Well said. I too am on a river cruise ending in Paris April 2015 plus staying on for an extra week. While I watched the news unfolding with great sadness for the loss of life and havoc spread throughout one of my favourite cities Paris, I have no plans to cancel.

I flew on 09/14 on the first flight out of YVR after 9/11 to Europe. While many would have hunkered down, i felt that it was likely the safest time to travel with all security measures being heightened if not a tad chaotic.

When we stop living, they start winning.

Well said. I too am on a river cruise ending in Paris April 2015 plus staying on for an extra week. While I watched the news unfolding with great sadness for the loss of life and havoc spread throughout one of my favourite cities Paris, I have no plans to cancel.

I flew on 09/14 on the first flight out of YVR after 9/11 to Europe. While many would have hunkered down, i felt that it was likely the safest time to travel with all security measures being heightened if not a tad chaotic.

My son always says "the safest day to fly is the day after a crash" that would also apply to this. And I so agree with your quote....if we all stayed home and never traveled to other countries we would never get to know about other people and their culture and how much alike we all are. It's only through understanding and acceptance that we save the world.

I wouldn't hesitate to travel anywhere in Europe now and I'm planning a land tour to France and Italy in April. I think that overall, Europe is still safer than the US. But, here's a few tips that may help just in case the unthinkable happens - terrorist attack, crisis, or natural disaster.

I always register at U.S. State Departments Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

https://step.state.gov/step/

This way, the nearest embassy or consulate knows where you are if something does happen and can expedite assistance. I also "like" the embassy and consulate Facebook pages which helps to keep me up to date - generally of festivals and special events, but also alerts to strikes, warnings, etc. You can easily "unlike" once you get home.

And a tip I learned from a US government official - and this applies anywhere. If you hear a blast, police sirens, or other type of commotion - don't follow your natural curiosity to see what's happening - move away from the area as quickly as you can. Terrorists may use a small blast or some time of commotion to draw in people - then will set off a larger blast to kill more people.

Safe travels to everyone.

I think we should all travel to Paris and France as soon as possible to show our solidarity over this situation. I'm tempted to cancel my Italy trip and sign up for the Seine River one! Don't even think about canceling a trip anywhere unless there is a specific state dept warning. I have never felt unsafe on a river cruise. One of the pleasurs of river cruising is being able to walk on and off the ship as if you were coming and going from your own apartment or flat in town. The front desk does a good job of keeping an eye on who comes and goes and they lock the door after 11 PM so you need your keycard to get back on board which is quite reasonable.

By the way, is it just me, or did the French police not do an incredible job this week....I wouldn't hesitate traveling there anytime....

I think we should all travel to Paris and France as soon as possible to show our solidarity over this situation. I'm tempted to cancel my Italy trip and sign up for the Seine River one! Don't even think about canceling a trip anywhere unless there is a specific state dept warning. I have never felt unsafe on a river cruise. One of the pleasurs of river cruising is being able to walk on and off the ship as if you were coming and going from your own apartment or flat in town. The front desk does a good job of keeping an eye on who comes and goes and they lock the door after 11 PM so you need your keycard to get back on board which is quite reasonable.

By the way, is it just me, or did the French police not do an incredible job this week....I wouldn't hesitate traveling there anytime....

Right on!!!!

Security in Paris will be tight. You are probably safer there rhan in many other places. Relax and enjoy your trip. I will be on a riverboat cruise with Paris extension this spring. I am not worried. This will be my 6th trip to France. France is beautiful...nice people, great food, fabulous museums and buildings, and exquisite shopping. Have a great time.

we will also be travelling to france and Switzerland in a few months. very sad for the loss of innocent lives in crimes that we all saw in the last few days.

it is troubling that these individuals were not being more closely monitored and one wonders how many others like them are out there.

security and resources need to be better targeted to minimise these events. meanwhile the rest of us are subjected to all sorts of delays and displays of apparent security/scrutiny at airports worldwide.

terrible to see frail elderly people barked at airports, some worse then others, to remove items for testing etc. none of us would mind the security if we could see evidence that offenders are being caught and dealt with.

risks are everywhere but believe security will be increased in Europe so we all will be safer from offenders.

And a tip I learned from a US government official - and this applies anywhere. If you hear a blast, police sirens, or other type of commotion - don't follow your natural curiosity to see what's happening - move away from the area as quickly as you can. Terrorists may use a small blast or some time of commotion to draw in people - then will set off a larger blast to kill more people.

Safe travels to everyone.

That is the best advice possible - and I know that first hand having been (with my DH and young children) 2 blocks from an explosion at the Israeli Embassy in London and another time (with a toddler) one block from a shooter at the Fountain of Trevi in Rome. Keep your wits about you and do not follow the herd! Whether the commotion is caused by terrorists, criminals or just a random event, get as far away as possible as quick as you can.

Edited by capriccio

We also have a river cruise to Paris 5/15 and are seriously considering canceling. I call it common sense!! With US warnings for travel and France on high alert, why would I play Russian roulette with terrorists? France is a hot spot right now and canceling may be the smart thing. We will wait a few more weeks and make our decision.

We also have a river cruise to Paris 5/15 and are seriously considering canceling. I call it common sense!! With US warnings for travel and France on high alert, why would I play Russian roulette with terrorists? France is a hot spot right now and canceling may be the smart thing. We will wait a few more weeks and make our decision.

I checked at the U.S. Dept of State Travel Advisory webpage and nowhere is it mentioned that travel to France is not advised.

and unless something really BAD happens on Seine or Paris before then,have no plans to cancel. Chances of something happening to us pretty low.That thinking would prevent us from going almost anywhere anymore,even NYC.

But do what feels right to YOU,we are all different.Don t be swayed by others,make your own decision. Its easy for posters here to make you feel like a "scaredy cat",but ignore them and make your own choice.

Darn near the whole world is mentioned but France is nowhere on the list... Here is the website

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's interesting since France has been touted as a "hot spot" and the airport was on high alert. Go figure ..... But I have NO faith in what the current government tells us- but that's another story. Also, there were comments made about flying to Europe at all and targeting Americans. With the lack of security I witnessed on our last River cruise ( someone came on our ship that wasn't supppse to -plus we almost walked right on another ship from another River cruise line without anyone noticing), holding the ship hostage would be so easy!

We are 3 couples traveling and booked on the river cruise and all 6 are feeling uncomfortable.

But as another post said -everyone has to do what is right for them without judgement.

Edited by dcruisers

That is the best advice possible - and I know that first hand having been (with my DH and young children) 2 blocks from an explosion at the Israeli Embassy in London and another time (with a toddler) one block from a shooter at the Fountain of Trevi in Rome. Keep your wits about you and do not follow the herd! Whether the commotion is caused by terrorists, criminals or just a random event, get as far away as possible as quick as you can.

This is very interesting because my first instinct would be to seek cover and stay put. I wouldn't follow the crowd, but I'd be afraid to move lest I run in the wrong direction! Only thing I can relate to was when we were living in London and had to evacuate the tube because of a bomb threat by the IRA...and it was a false alarm.