Had To Cancel BEFORE FP; Princess kept deposit

CU64

July 2014, Booked 15 day RT LA-Hawaii...4/4/2015

Deposit $200.......thought it was Brokers' cost for cancellation (they offer excellent OBC for promotions) but it was Princess,nonrefundable deposit, + brokers' $200. Cancelled (work related)before final payment, yesterday,3 months out and Princess refused to give up deposit as it was a RX6 promotion!

Foolish of Princess, IMHO: would rather have given an ordinary deposit with usual refunding before Final Payment. Won't do that again. Broker waived their fee because I was furious about what Princess was doing (have used same Broker twice for Europe cruises). Princess will get a snail mail letter from me after 6+ cruises with them. My cabin was a coveted mini-suite that will be gone in a second which I hated to let go!

There are rules that everyone must follow & expecting a non-refundable deposit to be refunded is ridiculous. Next time you & your broker need to read the restrictions & no matter how much you protest Princess shouldn't refund the "non-refundable" deposit. :rolleyes:

You refuse to follow the rules so Princess refuses to return your deposit & just because you have 6+ Princess cruises doesn't mean rules should be waived. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am a bit confused. We think the OP is saying they booked a cruise, with a non-refundable minimum deposit...and then later complained that the "non refundable deposit" was really non refundable. What am I missing? What is the complaint?

Hank

I know I had a cruise book for this past May (2014) and had to cancel due to injury (before final payment) and princess refunded my deposit.........or reapplied it to my future cruise deposits (where it came from) (but I don't think it was a no refund type of situation)

Deposit $200.......thought it was Brokers' cost for cancellation (they offer excellent OBC for promotions) but it was Princess,nonrefundable deposit, + brokers' $200. Cancelled (work related)before final payment, yesterday,3 months out and Princess refused to give up deposit as it was a RX6 promotion!

Foolish of Princess, IMHO: would rather have given an ordinary deposit with usual refunding before Final Payment. Won't do that again. Broker waived their fee because I was furious about what Princess was doing (have used same Broker twice for Europe cruises). Princess will get a snail mail letter from me after 6+ cruises with them. My cabin was a coveted mini-suite that will be gone in a second which I hated to let go!

Are you freakin' serious???? You knew you booked with a non-refundable deposit and now you're whining because Princes won't give you the deposit back?!?!?! And you want sympathy??? Ain't gonna happen. You're SOL. Move on.

yes its foolish to book with a non refundable deposit so you shouldnt do that again but you are in the wrong and not princess so why should you write a letter to them, what is that going to do....nothing

I know I had a cruise book for this past May (2014) and had to cancel due to injury (before final payment) and princess refunded my deposit.........or reapplied it to my future cruise deposits (where it came from) (but I don't think it was a no refund type of situation)

your case is different to the OP

I am a bit confused. We think the OP is saying they booked a cruise, with a non-refundable minimum deposit...and then later complained that the "non refundable deposit" was really non refundable. What am I missing? What is the complaint?

Hank

I'm confused too.

OP- NON REFUNDABLE deposit means it is NON REFUNDABLE. Why should Princess refund you when you booked it that way?

If you made a deposit that was none refundable . What is the issue ? I've done the same and took the loss of the deposit. If the broker didn't tell you , then it's the brokers problem for not reading the fine print .

We I book , I always ask if the deposit is refundable . If not then I'll use a regular deposit instead .I'm willing to pay the extra for a cruise with a fully refundable deposit. Since I use FCC's a lot my deposit is always $100 whether refundable or not.

Edited by Kamloops50

Not sure why the OP is complaining. You agreed to the terms and conditions when booking, if you didn't you wouldn't have made the deposit. Non refundable deposit means that. No money back. You made the decision to cancel not Princess. Snail letter all you like, but you find the answer is still the same.

There are rules that everyone must follow & expecting a non-refundable deposit to be refunded is ridiculous. Next time you & your broker need to read the restrictions & no matter how much you protest Princess shouldn't refund the "non-refundable" deposit. :rolleyes:

You refuse to follow the rules so Princess refuses to return your deposit & just because you have 6+ Princess cruises doesn't mean rules should be waived. :rolleyes:

Of course, it is my responsibility to read fine print and not make any assumptions. "6+" has nothing to do with rules being waived, only that I do have some experience with the way Cruise Lines operate, including Princess. I have now learned to be more careful with these promotions. Thank you for your admonitions.

Ok so I'm confused. What is a broker? Is that the same as an on line travel agent? I would think that the broker would be the one to blame if they failed to tell you about the non refundable deposit. I'm wondering if the broker waved their fee because they didn't tell you.

Of course, it is my responsibility to read fine print and not make any assumptions. "6+" has nothing to do with rules being waived, only that I do have some experience with the way Cruise Lines operate, including Princess. I have now learned to be more careful with these promotions. Thank you for your admonitions.
I still don't understand why you're blaming Princess and writing a letter of complaint. All promotions have "fine print" of one sort or another. Perhaps your insurance will refund the non-refundable deposit. It's worth checking. I know from having canceled a cruise after final payment and into the penalty period that my Princess insurance credited me the penalty amount that Princess didn't refund.

When you booked, did your travel agent tell you that the terms

included a non-refundable deposit? Many promotional fares

do have that restriction.

If your agent did not tell you, perhaps you have an issue with the agent?

The OP was amazingly gracious in accepting everyone's responses!!!

Doesn't happen often here.

I, too, paid a non-refundable deposit, because the cruise rate was so good. It did cross my mind that I would lose it if we had to cancel, but I don't buy Vacation Protection, so I always gamble with my money when I book a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP was amazingly gracious in accepting everyone's responses!!!

Doesn't happen often here.

I, too, paid a non-refundable deposit, because the cruise rate was so good. It did cross my mind that I would lose it if we had to cancel, but I don't buy Vacation Protection, so I always gamble with my money when I book a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I did the same thing. Rebooked with Princess because the rate was fantastic but it came with a non refundable deposit, which was 440 dollars. Taking a gamble too, but less than you. I figure, I'm going unless it's some reason that my insurance will cover (death of family member, illness, etc.)

When you book and are offered a non-refundable deposit, ask the agent if there are other promos that offer refundable deposits. There may be, at a higher rate but there is often other price rates that can be booked.

Princess is running a ton of non-refundable deposits the past 2 years. Maybe the OP is used to the old way Princess operated but times are changing.

Also - to the OP, there are agents out there who don't "also charge cancellation fees". Glad your agent waived this on your cruise.

Sorry you had to cancel.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Well said sir.....:):):)

Bob

Why do you feel the brisker should eat the cost of your non refundable deposit?

Read the fine print next time or get a better broker who explains things to you.