Need advice...an I entitled to a price drop?

American_in_York

Did you ever buy a coat and then find our a week later that it went on sale? Did that cause you to write a letter to the store?

You pay for the privilege of booking the room you want. Or you can wait until prices go down after FP date and take the chance that the cruise sells out

Second:

My wife works for Hyatt Hotels in the resturant and comes home whenever they have a group from across the pond talking about how demanding they are and still dont tip, typical I see.

My initial reaction, when I read this, was anger because as the OP's user name is "American_in_York", the OP may only live in the UK rather than be a Brit. Then I thought about it ...

Our latest cruise was the westbound TA on Eclipse from Southampton. During that cruise, we were constantly being told how nice we were. At the end of the cruise after we had handed out our additional tips, our butler [literally] cried and our assistant stateroom attendant pleaded with us to return to the ship sooner than planned. We had been no different to how we normally are on a cruise [polite, treat the crew with respect, etc.] and gave the same sort of additional tips we usually do [we were trained by Americans]. The I remembered that Eclipse had been sailing from Southampton for the summer season with a higher than usual [for Celebrity] Brits on board.

I suddenly felt ashamed to be a Brit.

OK, this post is a little off topic but illustrates one thing, if nothing else, when a post makes you angry, stop and think before replying.

Originally Posted by wallie5446 View Post

Second:

My wife works for Hyatt Hotels in the resturant and comes home whenever they have a group from across the pond talking about how demanding they are and still dont tip, typical I see.

I find this statement very offensive.

Edited by middlehaitch

Yes, you can get price drops in the UK, however some prices shown are for "New bookings only", in which case the answer is "tough". That's life I'm afraid.

I'm afraid you lost all my sympathy when you said you would stiff the staff in retaliation.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Villauk, Don't gloat too much as Celebrity could do a 'Carnival' on us and block all non-domincile bookings.

Not gloating in the slightest and actually I think you have misconstrued my replies; my posts were more about being informative rather than relishing in other's misfortune! And I repeat, many UK cruisers are unaware of what extra benefits our cousins on the other side of the pond receive.

If they change the rules, then we would take a different approach - certainly not booking far in advance, or maybe even looking at other lines. We have travelled on Princess (part of the Carnival group) and as you can see from my signature, only once. Their rules have prevented me from returning - their loss as other companies have been eager to take my money ;).

Who knows what the future holds or whether we'll be here to enjoy further cruises - live life to the full and adapt when you need to.

Btw, we do tip and even for the kids, just in case I'm accused of being a 'British money pincher'!

My initial reaction, when I read this, was anger because as the OP's user name is "American_in_York", the OP may only live in the UK rather than be a Brit. Then I thought about it ...

Our latest cruise was the westbound TA on Eclipse from Southampton. During that cruise, we were constantly being told how nice we were. At the end of the cruise after we had handed out our additional tips, our butler [literally] cried and our assistant stateroom attendant pleaded with us to return to the ship sooner than planned. We had been no different to how we normally are on a cruise [polite, treat the crew with respect, etc.] and gave the same sort of additional tips we usually do [we were trained by Americans]. The I remembered that Eclipse had been sailing from Southampton for the summer season with a higher than usual [for Celebrity] Brits on board.

I suddenly felt ashamed to be a Brit.

OK, this post is a little off topic but illustrates one thing, if nothing else, when a post makes you angry, stop and think before replying.

Originally Posted by wallie5446 View Post

Second:

I find this statement very offensive.

And why is that? The OP said they were going to stop the Gratuaties. I commented about what happens in the real world of servers that bust their tails and get stiffed on a regular basis. Does it mean all from Europe are this way? Of course not, but folks, it happens more than you want to accept. The OP's comment does nothing but reinforce my point. If it does not reflect on you, wonderful, don't take it personal. If it does, then the proff is in the pudding.

And why is that? The OP said they were going to stop the Gratuaties. I commented about what happens in the real world of servers that bust their tails and get stiffed on a regular basis. Does it mean all from Europe are this way? Of course not, but folks, it happens more than you want to accept. The OP's comment does nothing but reinforce my point. If it does not reflect on you, wonderful, don't take it personal. If it does, then the proff is in the pudding.

It's the last three words "typical I see" that are tarring all Brits and other Europeans with the image of, to use your description "stiffers". But of course you don't see that, do you.

I know this isn't right and it isn't fair but I have told her that I will not pay the gratuity for this cruise. "

Please don't do this - we have enough people saying we Brits are all cheap and stiff the staff. We aren't and many of us are very generous to the crew. I feel for you, it's so frustrating but won't you feel even worse taking it out on the people who will be working hard to make your holiday great.

It's the last three words "typical I see" that are tarring all Brits and other Europeans with the image of, to use your description "stiffers". But of course you don't see that, do you.

I get it, but this was brought up in comments other than mine. I also said if it does not reflect on you, wonderful, don't take it personal.

I would check again with Celebrity, There was a cruise show in London over the weekend and whoever was holding the fort at the office was giving out a lot of duff advice - like I would lose my beverage package if I changed to a more expensive room. (six weeks before cruise leaves and they are doing big discounts in the US to fill it). She had to check with Miami who of course said they would take my extra cash.

I've skipped over some of the national stereotype stuff, since I can fully understand that someone from the colonies might choose to come and live in God's own county as we tykes refer to home (assuming we're speaking about the same York).

But as far as UK price drops are concerned, I can very confidently tell you that up until the middle of 2013 at the very least, all it took for me to get a reduction was a phone call to my excellent, cruise-only TA. And as posted on page 1, I've had multiple drops on a single cruise. After final payment of course, all bets are off.

Unless they've changed the small print in the brochure this should still be the case. It's the one and only reason that I will book Celebrity well in advance. For Cunard, who do not drop prices, I lurk around on the internet looking for late bookings and good deals. The last one was $3010 of on-board credit for the cruise we took in November. If Celebrity have now changed it looks like I'll become a dual-lurker.

But as for cancelling gratuities, I'm with Project-Gal all the way. On any ship with US$ on board, we always leave a little extra (on top of the auto-charge) for people who've done a good job and offered a smile. I've had a maître d' almost shake my arm off for giving him an envelope for the kitchen and received multiple hugs from cabin stewards and butlers who have come and sought me out. Normally, they're completely invisible on disembarkation day.

I just can't understand why we always seem to get such terrific service. :confused:

OP - here is a thought.

In one of the first replies, someone mentioned that UK travel agents hate to forgo their commission.

Are you CONFIDENT that your TA has given you the correct reply that it is X who is denying your price drop? Is it possible that your agent is using smoke and mirrors to make you think they are trying to fight for you?

Wondering if it is worth your while to call a new agent (maybe a US agent?) and asking them to transfer the booking IF they can get you the priced drop.

Or you could call X yourself and say, "I will transfer the booking to you, but i want the price drop.

Not sure it's possible, but it may be worth a try.

Booking early is always a risk. Have been on some 20 cruises and the prices have always changed - both up and down. Sometimes as much as 30-40%. Am currently booked on two upcoming spring cruises and one has since sold out and the other is now about $500pp more. Last year had a reduction of $300 before my final payment was due and simply moved my deposit to that new reservation with no charge. All depends on how long til your cruise. The rules for deposit refunds etc are quite clear and yes if a cruise does not fill last minute bookers get the best deals.

Thanks to everyone who have replied.

Received a call from my TA (who is a large online cruise company). She basically told me that the total price drop was £519!!!!!!!!!!!! Then she went on to tell me that Celebrity will not honour the price drop. I would have to cancel and then rebook (not worth it since my deposit was £600).

My TA is going to send an email to a senior person at Celebrity to complain about how unfair this is and that I am very unhappy. She is going to call me back on Monday to see if they might change their mind

This has really tainted my feelings for Celebrity. This was going to be the first time sailing with them and I feel so upset.

I know this isn't right and it isn't fair but I have told her that I will not pay the gratuity for this cruise. Something I have never done before but I will certainly let Celebrity know why!

Will let you know if I hear anything back on Monday. I guess it really DOESN'T pay to book early.

Thanks

Did you get satisfaction in any way from your TA? I hope they came up with something useful or at least an explanation from Celebrity as to why you will lose out to the tune of £500. I expect it is somehow clouded by the fact that it coincides with a 5 day sale, but that would not account for the whole price drop.