Which cruise would you take?

My wife and I are planning a cruise for next winter and have decided that we'd like to take one of the southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan. The kids will stay home for this one and we've narrowed it down to three choices so far. However, we're having a hard time making our final decision. So, since everyone here is borderline OCD about cruising (in the best possible way of course :D) I figured what better place to get opinions on which cruise we should take.

Here are our the choices:

Jewel of the Seas - Sailing February 7, 2016

• Ports of call - St. Croix (never been), St. Marteen, Antiqua, St. Lucia, (never been), Barbados (never been)
  • Cabin - all suite classes are too rich for our blood on this one so we'd sail in a balcony ($1900)

Adventure of the Seas - Sailing February 13, 2016

• Ports of call - St. Croix (never been), St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Martinique (never been), Barbados (never been)
  • Cabin - A JS would be in our budget ($2300)

Adventure of the Seas - Sailing March 5, 2016

• Ports of call - St. Thomas, St. Croix (never been), Antiqua, St. Lucia (never been), Grenada (never been)
  • Cabin - we could probably splurge on a GS ($2660)

A few things that are in the back of our mind are that we've been on the Adventure twice before while our first sailing on a Radiance class ship is scheduled for this February. We also know that the Adventure was refurbished in April 2014 while Jewel is scheduled for April 2016 (not long after our planned sailing). It's important to us that the ship we sail is in good shape without excessive wear and tear.

We like to relax while on board the ship and enjoy a wide range of activities while ashore. In the past we're really enjoyed things like sailing and snorkeling excursions, rain forest tours, etc. We aren't really interested in walking or cab tours of the city's we're in. We typically prefer to take an excursion and then explore the port on our own afterward.

So if it were you, which would you pick and why? What would your major considerations be? Any input is welcome!

Edited by 71Corvette

Out of the 3 option 1 we did Adventure in Nov 14 and the ports of call have now changed we did Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua St Marteen and St Croix. Just to add another option have you look at Serenade at the same time is doing 10 or 11 days.

Have been looking ourselves we are looking at either Vision or Serenade.

I think you need to look at what ship experience you want. Jewel is very different from Adventure of the Seas. We loved the smaller ship experience on Jewel. We loved having tons of glass all around the lounge areas to see the ocean. We loved the self leveling pool tables. But if you love the ice rink, roller skating course, then you should go with AOS.

The ports on both are mixes of ports you have not been to. To me, Martinique is a waste of a stop. I have been there twice and I just do not enjoy that port, the people or the tours. They frown on non french speaking people and I would avoid that port. If I did go again, I would walk into town and walk back and enjoy the ship.

I love Antigua, but then again I am a beach person. On Antigua we have done some wonderful tours, booked privately. We have done the segway tour which was great. The stingray tour is wonderful too, as well as a zip line if you are into adventure. ANtigua is easy to get around and the people are wonderful. There is a cheap bus system to use which is a short walk from the town. Or the cabs or course.

On a port intensive cruise as you are doing from San Juan, I would not care which cabin I would be in. You are not at sea enough to really use this as a major criteria, in my opinion.

Hope you know, which ever you pick will be lovely, and then book another in the future on the other ship.... always room for another cruise.

I love the Radiance Class (Jewel) so I'd tend to lean that way. However, if a suite is very important to you, then I'd probably go with option 3. But I personally don't think a suite is necessary on this cruise. As the above poster stated, this cruise is very port intensive, which equals less time in your cabin.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Just my 2 cents...

• Although I'm a rare one here on CC in that Radiance Class isn't my favorite class, and absolutely not in the Caribbean, those port intensive itineraries are phenominal. Your option #1 has the best three eastern Caribbean islands imho: BVI, St. Lucia & Barbados.
  • It will depend on how important the JS is to you. Option #2 I found Martinique to be very disappointing.
  • Option #3 is again fabulous with a St Lucia & St. Croix in the mix.

If the cabin is of concern for you as much as the ports, I'd go with option #3 as you get almost the best of both, with GS amenities & great ports. If the ports and $ are your main criteria, put the $ in your wallet for the next cruise as I feel the Jewel itinerary is one of the best RCL provides in the Caribbean. Have an awesome cruise! :D

Edited by Hoopster95

My wife and I are planning a cruise for next winter and have decided that we'd like to take one of the southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan. The kids will stay home for this one and we've narrowed it down to three choices so far. However, we're having a hard time making our final decision. So, since everyone here is borderline OCD about cruising (in the best possible way of course :D) I figured what better place to get opinions on which cruise we should take.

• Ports of call - St. Croix (never been), St. Marteen, Antiqua, St. Lucia, (never been), Barbados (never been)
  • Cabin - all suite classes are too rich for our blood on this one so we'd sail in a balcony ($1900)

• Ports of call - St. Croix (never been), St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Martinique (never been), Barbados (never been)

• Ports of call - St. Thomas, St. Croix (never been), Antiqua, St. Lucia (never been), Grenada (never been)

A few things that are in the back of our mind are that we've been on the Adventure twice before while our first sailing on a Radiance class ship is scheduled for this February. We also know that the Adventure was refurbished in April 2014 while Jewel is scheduled for April 2016 (not long after our planned sailing). It's important to us that the ship we sail is in good shape without excessive wear and tear.

We like to relax while on board the ship and enjoy a wide range of activities while ashore. In the past we're really enjoyed things like sailing and snorkeling excursions, rain forest tours, etc. We aren't really interested in walking or cab tours of the city's we're in. We typically prefer to take an excursion and then explore the port on our own afterward.

So if it were you, which would you pick and why? What would your major considerations be? Any input is welcome!

Just reading your post you have in 'my mind' virtually eliminated Jewel from the option list when you sound worried that only a short time after you are planning your cruise Jewel will be going in for dry dock. Even though they do handle repairs/replacements that are necessary on a ship in between 'dry dock stints' -- your worry (although probably unrealistic) is your issue.

Sounds to me like the JS on Adventure, meets lots of criteria for you....and it sounds as if you would prefer a suite over just a balcony.

Before you even step onto the ship, your mind needs to be in sync with your choices....the rest will take care of itself.

We've done four cruises out of San Juan I vote for this one:

Ports of call - St. Croix (we've never been), St. Kitts (love Shipwrech Beach Bar), St. Marteen (le Gallion beach) , Martinique (we've never been), Barbados (Rockly Beach - by the Tiki bar)

It is our experience (Mainer's also) that one needs a good excursion in Martinique and St. Lucia.

We took a very good ship's excursion in Martinique. Went to St. Pierre, drove through the Rain Forest to Balata Gardens-which we found to be very nice and well cared for- then to Balata Church. We had a good bilingual guide- important unless one speaks French.

In St. Lucia, there are many tours. The roads are narrow and winding and require a good van or bus. The St. Lucia forum has lots of suggestions.

We enjoyed Barbados- took a tour of the island during one visit and spent a day at Carlisle Beach on another visit.

We would opt for the cruise going to Martinique, only because we enjoyed

our excursion so much. However, all of the cruises look interesting. have fun planning.

Personally, if I were making the choice for us, I would choose no. 3. We have already sailed on the Jewel and that is my favorite class of ship and I love the itinerary. However, to sail in GS on the Adventure (we haven't sailed the Adventure --- yet) with a great itinerary, well I would probably have to choose that one! :D St. Lucia is our favorite island and I love getting my spices from Grenada - the waterfalls there are gorgeous as well. We also love Nelson's Dockyard in Antigua. So I choose no. 3.

Good luck with your decision, looks like you can't go wrong with ANY of your choices. We loved the Jewel though. That would be a very close second choice! :)

I'd pick #3. We always cruise for the ports, not the ship, and if we had a chance to visit 3 ports that we've never been to before we'd jump on it. In my opinion St. Croix doesn't have a lot to offer but we Antigua, St. Lucia and Grenada are great places to visit. You'll find plenty of excursions to your liking.

As for the Jewel, I would not worry about it going to dry dock shortly after you get off. I'm sure the ship will still be in great shape when you're on. We were on Brilliance (or Serenade, I can't remember which) one month before she went into dry dock. In spite of that, the ship was in great shape. They had started doing some of the refurbishments while we were on it, nothing that was disruptive.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. I guess I should have made this a poll!

The reason we're having such a hard time deciding is because all three are really good options. I will say that the thought of a Grand Suite on #3 is enticing. We're not big "hang out in the room" people, but the perks are nice.

We may just wait until after our Brilliance Cruise next month to decide which one to pick. That way we'll have first hand experience on a Radiance-class ships. Of course prices may change between then and now...

Oy, too many decisions! :D

Edited by 71Corvette

This won't help you decide, but we have sailed out of San Juan for the past 6 years and love, love, love all three of your choices. Southern Caribbean ports are beautiful and you won't be disappointed with any of the three choices. BUT - a chance to be in a Grand Suite would be my pick. The amenities are very nice. We do love the Radiance size ships - people seem to be more calm and laid back:D

I haven't sailed either ship, but I would choose itinerary #1. IMO, it has the best ports. I'm more of an itinerary person.

The Jewel is a smaller ship. Some people like them and some people don't. I prefer the smaller ships because you feel more at sea, they're easy to get around and feel more intimate.

With a port intensive southern itinerary, you don't spend much time on the ship anyway.

Good luck.

I would choose Adventure of the Seas and the Grand Suite all the way. We had a GS on Explorer last February and were completely spoiled. Every day there are special dinner invitations, cocktail parties, shore side luncheons.

We always said "we don't spend much time in the cabin" as well. That all changes when you're booked in a suite. The Concierge Lounge and separate breakfast restaurant are huge perks.

Go for the Grand Suite and have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

Fans of radiance class ships, but GS is the clincher

Really don't think you could go wrong with either of the 3 choices. We are doing your option #2 next April. Kind of the dilemma we had when making this choice but we chose this one because it was closer to our anniversary. We had one scheduled from San Juan on our anniversary but it got cancelled for some reason, we were never told why. Our 4/9 cruise is the last one on the rcl website to leave. The 4/16 and 4/23 sailing were removed.