Does Oceania broadcast the NFL playoff games?

SusieO

The super bowl may be shown worldwide but the interest is not. From our experience, soccer (aka 'football') is much more popular than the type of football played in the U.S. Sometimes people have tunnel vision when it comes to their own country. The U.S. also has an annual "world series" which is hardly representative of the world.

All of us have our wish lists of what we would like shown on cruise ships (I'd love to see Downton Abby for instance) but realize that no cruise line can accommodate everyone's wishes. In terms of super bowl or finals for football, if it were very important to me, I would not book a cruise in January or February.

On the other hand, it is possible that NCL gets a "deal" on some of the sports networks since they have so many ships. They could possibly include Regent and Oceania in their package.

The super bowl may be shown worldwide but the interest is not. From our experience, soccer (aka 'football') is much more popular than the type of football played in the U.S. Sometimes people have tunnel vision when it comes to their own country. The U.S. also has an annual "world series" which is hardly representative of the world.

All of us have our wish lists of what we would like shown on cruise ships (I'd love to see Downton Abby for instance) but realize that no cruise line can accommodate everyone's wishes. In terms of super bowl or finals for football, if it were very important to me, I would not book a cruise in January or February.

On the other hand, it is possible that NCL gets a "deal" on some of the sports networks since they have so many ships. They could possibly include Regent and Oceania in their package.

Oceania is a Miami based company and majority of Oceania passengers are from the U.S. and Canada. Offering sports programming that appeals primarily to that audience would certainly seem appropriate. So, what sport is most popular worldwide is not entirely relevant.

here.

In our experience they did show the World Cup (soccer) final game & the Super Bowl (final game)

If you want to see the others you may have to make other arrangements

Lyn, perhaps you are not a football fan but indeed both the NFC and AFC playoff games were broadcast on our January 2014 Riviera cruise on which we both sailed. We watched one of the games in the comfort of our cabin.

I would expect they both again will be broadcast on our Riviera cruise embarking Wednesday when they are played this Sunday. How is the satellite reception in Belize?

Edited by CintiPam

Lyn, perhaps you are not a football fan but indeed both the NFC and AFC playoff games were broadcast on our January 2014 Riviera cruise on which we both sailed. We watched one of the games in the comfort of our cabin.

Rarely watch sports so I guess I missed it

I do not pay all that money to watch TV

YMMV

Oceania is a Miami based company and majority of Oceania passengers are from the U.S. and Canada. Offering sports programming that appeals primarily to that audience would certainly seem appropriate. So, what sport is most popular worldwide is not entirely relevant.

here.

New map attached

map.jpg.2f3dfbdba13c760fe40f4467b91e257c.jpg

Now if they would just show the Stanley Cup:D

Or better yet (for you) - the Lacrosse World championships.

After all, Lacrosse is the official national summer sport of Canada (hockey being the national winter sport) :D

Quote from Ask.com/wiki

"Lacrosse in Canada was first declared the National Game of Canada in 1859. In 1994 Parliament passed the Canada's National Sport Act which declared lacrosse to be "Canada's National Summer Sport", with hockey as the national winter sport."

On our recent Western Caribbean Regatta cruise we could watch European sports via the Sky networks but not U.S. sports coverage. Doesn't make sense.

One of my pet peeves as well as an avid sports fan.

Why do we see Sky NEWS and Sky Sports and International ESPN, featuring cricket, rugby, soccer instead of US based ESPN with baseball, basketball and football (especially as ESPN is a US based company). Why BBC instead of CNN rather than in addition to, as I have often seen?

I could see this being the case on P&O, Voyages of Discovery, Swan Hellenic and others but not on Oceania. Once you have a satellite signal you can get most stations - it's just the choice of stations that bothers me.

Edited by Paulchili

Why do we see Sky NEWS and Sky Sports and International ESPN, featuring cricket, rugby, soccer instead of US based ESPN with baseball, basketball and football (especially as ESPN is a US based company). Why BBC instead of CNN rather than in addition to, as I have often seen?

I suppose it's for the same reason that we only see news programming of a particular Political bent.........:mad:

I could care less about the Academy Awards, but Oceania ships carry those live every year. It is part of an entertainment package they purchase. I certainly believe that there is higher demand for NFL football.

Glad to hear that Oceania is at least showing NFL playoffs. Not everyone cares about the Superbowl and U.S. sports; that is true. However, since Oceania caters heavily to a North American audience and many many passengers do follow sports, it would be appropriate for Oceania to move away from their nearly total lack of U.S. sports coverage, including not even showing ESPN or the NFL package available on most other cruise lines. On our recent Western Caribbean Regatta cruise we could watch European sports via the Sky networks but not U.S. sports coverage. Doesn't make sense.

I was responding to another poster regarding the super bowl. Agree that Oceania caters fairly heavily to North American's (Regent is a bit more split with N. America, U.K. and Australia), however, most of the time their ships are not sailing in U.S. waters. I'm guessing that the cost to subscribe to the Sky networks is much less than to subscribe to the packages you mentioned. Perhaps Oceania management could look into having a "customer paid" option to watch sports programming -- assume they would need a minimum number of participants. On the other hand, in all fairness, wouldn't Oceania also have to offer other "special" programs that are on during the year?

We have Sky at home and find Sky Sports covers pretty much ALL sports including US football, baseball etc. Not of course in as much detail as they give to football (the "real" kind) but they do cover those American-based sports.

The reason we have Sky is we are golfers. And Sky Golf coverage and commentary is absolutely superb. Watching the Masters with Butch Harmon and Colin Montgomery as commentators is a wonderful experience...and I am not at all happy that we shall be on Riviera somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic around 9th April. So personally I DO hope that in that particular position the ship is showing Sky Sports coverage.

I suppose it's for the same reason that we only see news programming of a particular Political bent.........:mad:

Not so

We have fox and msnbc on nautica right now. Something for each of us. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of my pet peeves as well as an avid sports fan.

I could see this being the case on P&O, Voyages of Discovery, Swan Hellenic and others but not on Oceania. Once you have a satellite signal you can get most stations - it's just the choice of stations that bothers me.

How about because MTN who is Oceania's SATCOM provider only provides the package you see which includes:

BBC

MSNBC

CNBC

FOX News

Sky News

Sky Sports

Sport 24

Prime Telly

Prime US

We were on Marina in December - ESPN International was showing the Sunday Night game (which telecast on NBC). My guess is they will do one game this Sunday as well as the Superbowl. Just as a side observation: If Aaron Rodgers is still in pain for this Sunday's game with the Seahawks - then they have no chance of an upset.

We have Sky at home and find Sky Sports covers pretty much ALL sports including US football, baseball etc. Not of course in as much detail as they give to football (the "real" kind) but they do cover those American-based sports.

The reason we have Sky is we are golfers. And Sky Golf coverage and commentary is absolutely superb. Watching the Masters with Butch Harmon and Colin Montgomery as commentators is a wonderful experience...and I am not at all happy that we shall be on Riviera somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic around 9th April. So personally I DO hope that in that particular position the ship is showing Sky Sports coverage.

I have enjoyed some U.S. sports coverage including NFL on Sky Sports while in Europe, but the version of Sky Sports shown on Oceania and other ships cruising North America and Caribbean ports has virtually zero U.S. sports coverage except for occasional game results...likely has to do with where the network has rights to show U.S. sports…apparently in Europe, but not in North America.

New map attached

My point that Oceania should cater to tastes of its primary market is not inappropriately U.S. centric as your graphic indicates. I would expect a cruise line primarily focused on Australian travelers to emphasize sport coverage from your country.

Edited by edgee

My point that Oceania should cater to tastes of its primary market is not inappropriately U.S. centric as your graphic indicates. I would expect a cruise line primarily focused on Australian travelers to emphasize sport coverage from your country.

...and it does.

I cruised on a Princess ship around Australia. Over 90% of the passengers were Aussies, the currency on-board was AUS$ (normally on Princess it is US$) and the TV coverage was "local". It is understandable - not because of the location of the cruise but because the great majority of passengers.

Ditto for UK patronized ships. I am not sure what we'll see on a cruise around Switzerland with mostly Swiss passengers :D :D

Edited by Paulchili

That's OK.

I understand what you are saying and probably agree.

Just had a moment of sarcasm:)

Get a new (better) package :D

That is the PREMIUM package. I hate to think what is the discount package -- maybe MSNBC and FOX on one screen/channel -- with O'Reilly and Chris Mathews debating each other :D

Edited by PaulMCO

That is the PREMIUM package. I hate to think what is the discount package -- maybe MSNBC and FOX on one screen/channel -- with O'Reilly and Chris Mathews debating each other :D

That could be fun - for about 5 minutes :D

Isn't another name for this sort of thing called "The presidential campaign" (aka mud slinging)?

...and it does.

I cruised on a Princess ship around Australia. Over 90% of the passengers were Aussies, the currency on-board was AUS$ (normally on Princess it is US$) and the TV coverage was "local". It is understandable - not because of the location of the cruise but because the great majority of passengers.

Ditto for UK patronized ships. I am not sure what we'll see on a cruise around Switzerland with mostly Swiss passengers :D :D

Cruise around Switzerland with mostly Swiss passengers - for a starter you would have to have things broadcast in four languages (we have four official languages here) And then you could deal with the America's Cup (Alinghi) and tennis (Federer and Wawrinka and Hingis) and I suppose Figure Skating (Bielman) Wouldn't be so bad! You could cruise from lake to lake. we have a lot of those too!!

Cruise around Switzerland with mostly Swiss passengers - for a starter you would have to have things broadcast in four languages (we have four official languages here) And then you could deal with the America's Cup (Alinghi) and tennis (Federer and Wawrinka and Hingis) and I suppose Figure Skating (Bielman) Wouldn't be so bad! You could cruise from lake to lake. we have a lot of those too!!

Sounds good! Together with lots of Swiss cheeses, Swiss chocolate, a little rosti and Swiss watches for trivia prizes :)

Sign me up :D

We just got off Riviera today and this past weekend 2 out of the 4 NFL playoff games were shown on ESPN international channel. Why the other 2 were not shown I have no idea. However, for those of you that have no interest in football you can rest easy knowing that you can watch Jacques Pepin prepare numerous culinary treats 24 hours a day, or watch any of the other 13 Oceania channels talking about port shopping, dining in Privee, or future cruise intineraries ad infinitum instead.:eek:

for those of you that have no interest in football you can rest easy knowing that you can watch Jacques Pepin prepare numerous culinary treats 24 hours a day, or watch any of the other 13 Oceania channels talking about port shopping, dining in Privee, or future cruise intineraries ad infinitum instead

That's a cheap shot, Jeff, and I hope that you know better than that :mad:

Those of us on the non football side were not suggesting that broadcasting sports crowds out other entertainment options.

Our point was that SOME sporting events come with a very dear price tag, PARTICULARLY IF THE SUBSCRIBER WANTS TO EXHIBIT THEM COMMERCIALLY,

and if Oceania is going to blow up the entertainment budget for something, I'd prefer Meryl Streep to be narrating it ..... in person .... :D

The good news is that because of .....the Norwegian Situation..... the television choices may improve AND decline in cost because we are now included in their volume discounts.

I certainly hope that it comes to pass.

Edited by StanandJim