What kind of Camera do you use?

LuCruise

I love reading people's reviews and the best ones are those with pictures. And wow...there are really some beautiful one that capture the ship.

On our last family vacation to Disney World, we got the photo package. There were photographers everywhere so we would just stop for pictures and then use our cell phone cameras to take others that we wanted.

So I'm wondering, do you just bring your cell phone? A carry small pocket camera around with you? Or an SLR (is that what it's called?...i.e. the big cameras with the fancy lens). It seems awkward to carry one around.

Edited by LuCruise

I love to photograph, I do travel with my digital SLR (a Nikon D7100). I don't carry it everywhere, of course, and most of the time on the ship I have just my iPhone camera - very good images, but not very flexible in terms of options. I usually take out my SLR for a couple of "photo walkabouts" during the cruise, and usually in ports.

I've found that I spend WAAAY too much time trying to get the "right" shot...so now, I don't take photos at all. I was missing the experience, trying to capture it! I figure if I can't remember my good time without pictures, it wasn't that good of a time after all!

C.C. has a discussion section regarding photography.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

I recommend you ask your question there. You will learn a lot from the posters on that board.

That the spot.

I usually have at least one DSLR [Canon 5d II] with me and a couple of lenses [50mm, 28mm, 28-135, 70-200 often 100-400] but I also have a cool little Canon G1X compact that I love for when I want to travel light and not carry the SLR.

I have a Sony A500 DSLR that's been with me since our Panama cruises On board the ship DW uses her iphone unless something special is happening. I basically just use a 28-300 lens while in port as I hate changing lenses while I'm touring. I will carry a 50/1.7 if I plan to go to a museum. I use a sling sholuder strap and have the camera hanging over my wallet pocket.

The photos I take of my DW with the SLR is better than the photos of me with her iphone.

We have a nice zoom point and shoot but she insists on using the iphone.:(

Edited by lamchops

Photography is one of my passions. I travel with my DSLR Canon 70D and my Olympus Tough Point & Shoot for underwater/bad weather/dramatic effects shots.

There are sooo many camera options out there today and the newer DSLR can be so complicated. If I hadn't been taking photos for so many years, I'd stick with my Olympus Tough. It takes awfully great shots for a point and shoot.

Don't know what it is but I've never gotten good photos with my iPhone. My phone never leaves the safe when we're on a cruise.

Happy shooting!

Before I went digital, I carried an SLR with a couple of lenses. But I had enough of that, and I now only carry a compact point and shoot with a long zoom and wide angle lens. I take a ton of pictures, they are my main souvenirs. EM

I have a DSLR, Canon Rebel T3i but I rarely take it on cruises because so much of what I'm going to do will involve water that I know I'd barely use it and its not exactly a compact thing to carry around.

We bring our Olympus TG-820 which is crush proof, drop proof, water proof (and basically me proof) for a lot of our vacation pictures and then we both have our iphones as well. I LOVE having a camera I dont have to be super careful with, its been dropped off the top of the water slide stairs and was just fine (maybe one too many DOD's on my part.....). It takes great pictures in and out of the water.

We take a Nikon D7000, Canon underwater/shock proof, Sony camcorder that does video and pictures,a sea life camera, different lenses etc. I love taking pictures and making photo books. I love when people tell me my photos are stunning.I've been told I should do this for a living. I would never think of going on vacation without my cameras.

The majority of time, I carry my Cannon ZR45 digital video and extra tapes and SD cards. Love it. Fold up tripod at times. Remote control for selfies, etc.,

Go digital mode and need the tripod for that. Normal mode 18X. Digital 360X. Have it fitted with a wide angle lens. Can also go macro for flowers, bugs, critters. Great shots.

Not as compact as my cell phone but really does the whole job. I get a kick out of stopping and taking pictures of the ships photographers. Freaks em' out.

Harry

I love to photograph, I do travel with my digital SLR (a Nikon D7100). I don't carry it everywhere, of course, and most of the time on the ship I have just my iPhone camera - very good images, but not very flexible in terms of options. I usually take out my SLR for a couple of "photo walkabouts" during the cruise, and usually in ports.

I just purchased the Nikon D7100. Have not took it out of the box yet. I can't wait to start to play around with it. Do you have any pictures you can post that you took with the camera?:D Thanks:)

Thanks for the responses.

So do you all carry the camera around with you for the most part? Or only take it with you when 'touring the ship' or exploring the ship? I would be worried about taking it when say, going to the pool and then leaving it on the beach chair.

So do you all carry the camera around with you for the most part? Or only take it with you when 'touring the ship' or exploring the ship? I would be worried about taking it when say, going to the pool and then leaving it on the beach chair.

Yes, I always carry my camera. You never know who you may run into. Or what you might see worth taking a picture of.

Edited by Shmoo here

We have 2 cameras. I have a Canon SX20 with a great zoom 20 to 1 and my wife has a little Olympus point and shoot which takes great pictures.

I have attached 2 pictures we took in Switzerland to show the zoom.

The line in the lower left hand corner of the first picture is a tram that takes the people back up the slope.

The second picture is of the same place zoomed in

IMG_2045.jpg.8468ec5e2b9b255e5ade139951665a2b.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg.0326bdd481d93945562a742af1335ce5.jpg

Always. But even at home it is usually with me [especially the G1X.

Well, my phone is always with me, and that has a point-and-shoot camera built in. My DSLR is only taken on outings around the ship from time to time.

I almost always carry a camera where ever I go. Experience has taught me that some of the best photo ops appear when my camera is back in the room. :rolleyes:

I use a DSLR camera, the Canon Rebel, but a DSLR is large and I often find that I don't want to drag it around the ship with me. So, I also carry a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX50V that shoots very good photos and video and I find myself using it more frequently than the Canon, even though the DSLR takes the best photos.

Just a tip when carrying a camera... don't accidentally leave it lying somewhere because unfortunately, it WILL disappear. On our last cruise, I left my Sony in the laundry room. I remembered it 10 minutes later and made a flying run back to the laundry room but it was already gone! Even though I made frequent trips to the Lost and Found, the new owner decided they wanted to keep my camera. :mad: I've since purchased a new one but sure wish there was a way to place a tracking device on my cameras now! LOL.

I almost always carry a camera where ever I go. Experience has taught me that some of the best photo ops appear when my camera is back in the room. :rolleyes:

I use a DSLR camera, the Canon Rebel, but a DSLR is large and I often find that I don't want to drag it around the ship with me. So, I also carry a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX50V that shoots very good photos and video and I find myself using it more frequently than the Canon, even though the DSLR takes the best photos.

Just a tip when carrying a camera... don't accidentally leave it lying somewhere because unfortunately, it WILL disappear. On our last cruise, I left my Sony in the laundry room. I remembered it 10 minutes later and made a flying run back to the laundry room but it was already gone! Even though I made frequent trips to the Lost and Found, the new owner decided they wanted to keep my camera. :mad: I've since purchased a new one but sure wish there was a way to place a tracking device on my cameras now! LOL.

Ouch! At the very least, they, he, she could have taken the memory card to lost & found, saying they found the card in the hallway outside of the laundry room on Deck 8. You might have identified it by saying you'd lost your camera in the laundry room on Deck 8. At least you would have gotten your pix back. This is all assuming you hadn't downloaded the pix already.

We humbly use our iPhones for any and all pictures, for several reasons. It is the most convenient to keep on our bodies/carry at all times, and serves as a multifunction tool. There are a lot of apps and photo editing tools that can really make an iphone picture spectacular. Photography is a hobby of my husband and he loves using his iphone and Aviary app. Now I'm sure if we bought a fancy expensive camera the photos would turn out even more amazing, but many people have been impressed and surprised to find out our pictures are taken with an iPhone.

Ouch! At the very least, they, he, she could have taken the memory card to lost & found, saying they found the card in the hallway outside of the laundry room on Deck 8. You might have identified it by saying you'd lost your camera in the laundry room on Deck 8. At least you would have gotten your pix back. This is all assuming you hadn't downloaded the pix already.

That's the same thing I said, Treven! 'Keep the camera but give me back my memories!' And the camera was pretty new. I'd actually made a video of us walking into our room, which showed the room number, so I kept hoping the memory card would magically appear in our little mailbox next to our door. That was wishful thinking. :rolleyes: