NEW POLICY - No More On Board Announcements!

Rewind

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I always kind of considered the regular announcements to be part of the cruising experience! It just never really bothered me much; I simply didn't notice it. Maybe my next cruise will be eerily quiet...I'll have to pay closer attention.

I noticed it on our Jan 18th Navigator cruise. Nice and quiet. After 19 cruises I never knew there was a routine mid day announcement. But then, I couldn't care less to hear what depth the ocean is or how much the wind is blowing, however it never bothered me either. I'm on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by stewpapa

You could easily be so distracted with fun that you'll never remember to turn on the TV and look up the Captain, much less the Cruise Director. But the Captain coming on during your activities, you are more likely to catch.

The captain could come on at noon and remind everyone to catch him announcement on TV.

In my Jan 19th cruise on the Enchantment Marc was the only one that made announcements in the morning to welcome everyone to the new day. There was no noon announcement. I like that marc did the welcome to the new day announcement. That reminded me what was happening that day aboard the ship.

My husband is happy for the same reason! I could only understand 1/3 of these announcements, mostly due to terrible distortion of the PA systems and ambient noise on board. "Hey, can stop that rushing water sound over there on the side of the ship, the Captians talking fer Pete's sake!";)

I'm very interested in the Captian's messages, on small ships you can pop into the bridge and just ask! But on a large ship, no one is paying any attention, it's impossible on hear, and it's easily broadcast in real time on any TV or digital way finder on board. And when they finally get it all working, there will be an app for that ;)

How about... "could you shut your mouth for two minutes, the captain is talking".... rude people are usually much more of a hinderance to understanding the announcement than moving water is.

I would hope that during Alaska season they would announce whales when sighted. I was on HAL this past summer, and the captain did announce whale sightings the first couple of days at which point it became clear that whales were going to be sighted multiple times daily on that cruise, so then the only announcements of wildlife were during Glacier Bay day.

I would hope that during Alaska season they would announce whales when sighted. I was on HAL this past summer, and the captain did announce whale sightings the first couple of days at which point it became clear that whales were going to be sighted multiple times daily on that cruise, so then the only announcements of wildlife were during Glacier Bay day.

Captain announced whales on April 1 several years ago. That was funny, then he said they were on the other side 2 minutes later. Not as many takers that time

Years ago when we sailed Serenade on the southern Caribbean, on the last sea day sailing back from Barbados to San Juan as we passed each island Capt. Stig made a brief announcement giving us the name of the island and a brief history of each. He made a special point to give us a look at Montserrat after the volcanic destruction and a narration of what happened. His Caribbean "tour" that day made that cruise so memorable that I remember his name to this day and I can't remember the names of most of the captains that we have sailed with.

It would be so disapointing if his ability to do this would now be banned by RCI policy. He is my idea of a great captain. He made the cruise so memorable without him being a "showboat".

Captain announced whales on April 1 several years ago. That was funny, then he said they were on the other side 2 minutes later. Not as many takers that time

Haha!

We actually did have them - LOTS of them - in late July. The funniest thing was we were in the middle of a stretching clinic on deck (I was with a running group) when the captain announced a whale sighting off the starboard side. NONE of us hesitated one second - we just jumped up and ran to the rail. Haha!

Years ago when we sailed Serenade on the southern Caribbean, on the last sea day sailing back from Barbados to San Juan as we passed each island Capt. Stig made a brief announcement giving us the name of the island and a brief history of each. He made a special point to give us a look at Montserrat after the volcanic destruction and a narration of what happened. His Caribbean "tour" that day made that cruise so memorable that I remember his name to this day and I can't remember the names of most of the captains that we have sailed with.

It would be so disapointing if his ability to do this would now be banned by RCI policy. He is my idea of a great captain. He made the cruise so memorable without him being a "showboat".

I would imagine the on board announcements work well on smaller vessels. That does sound like an incredible experience.

On the larger vessels there are so many people that the messages are mostly generic in order to reach the largest audience.

I also think it really comes down to the available technologies now, and their ability to give real time information on media devices and less of a need to use the speaker.

Maybe they can use the screens sprinkled around the ships to give flash announcements of special occurrences. Or neat facts about the places they are near. Same for the televisions.

I vote for Captain's announcements!

Good Morning! Good Morning! Good Morning! As the Master and supreme authority onboard, passengers have a right to hear from him. Yes, we're on vacation and don't want our fun or rest interrupted. But this isn't a ride at an amusement park. We're on a real ship in the middle of a real ocean. The Master addressing us with nautical information should be expected. The Master is responsible for our safety and comfort onboard. If he gains no rapport or respect by addressing the passengers with nautical information and other official announcements, how is he to expect cooperation and compliance if, heaven forbid, there was a real emergency that he had to direct?

Agree with this reasoning 100%. :)

I had also thought about this. On our Alaska cruise last June, I really enjoyed when the captain would come on the speaker to tell us about whales, or when we were cruising near Hubbard Glacier and there was a naturalist onboard pointing out seals, etc.