Why are cruise pictures so expensive?

MikeACY

I appreciated the link but still did not understand completely until now. Let me make sure that I have all of this straight ....

1. We will buy the all-inclusive package and get every picture we are in, even if other people are in it with us. There are 12 of us all together, so that would even include a group shot. We can then print copies at home for everyone else.

2. People in other cabins would have to pay for any pictures that they want if we are not in the picture. I'm thinking they might want photo books as keepsakes.

Thanks for the help

The way the link reads, you would not be able to do #1. However, in my experience with the all inclusive package, I have been able to get any picture I am in - including group shots. This is contradictory to the "official" rules in the link and I guess could vary from ship to ship.

Number 2, is correct. Any pictures of anyone not staying in the all inclusive picture package cabin, would have to be paid for (with the exception of minor children in a different cabin according to the link).

Dan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app.

Have never purchased an all-inclusive package, but typically one to three photos on each cruise.

As a result, I do have decent quality photos I absolutely treasure of our two sons ranging from about ages 14 to 22 with my husband and me that I would simply not otherwise have.

Keep in mind you are also buying the rights to that picture so once you are home you can print as many as you want without any issue. Just be sure to print the release before you send it to a printer like Walgreens. We normally buy 1-3 but I couldn't even pay that for a sitting fee but get the ability to print them all I want so a good deal to me.

BonVoyage

Dawna

From a photography teacher, these photographs are expensive for several reasons:

- Knowing that people are likely to grab up the photograph and buy it on impulse, the ship prints ALL the photographs. They have to pay for that printing, even if the pictures don't all sell; thus, each picture's cost must cover a portion of the un-sold pictures.

- Sending your pictures away to a quality photograph processor is CHEAP (seriously, an 8x10 is around $1 -- and that's for processing a professional quality photograph), but the ship personnel are printing the photographs right there on the ship, which isn't particularly cost-effective. Ink, photo paper, and photo-quality printers are super expensive.

- They're employing photographers to take the pictures. They have an investment in quality cameras. You can't expect the resulting pictures to be as inexpensive as your own camera.

- The biggest is that people are willing to pay. If they weren't selling at this price, the ship would either stop selling photographs or would drop the price.

- One reason people are willing to pay is that they've paid so much for their cruise, for their nice dinner clothes . . . and they want a GOOD memory of their vacation, and they figure that the ship's photographer will do a better job for them. To be honest, the average person takes some pretty crappy photographs -- the ship's photographers, while not top-notch, are better than the average cruiser with a point-and-shoot camera (or worse, a camera phone).

- And, of course, it's a profitable endeavor.

Once every few years, we will pose for a portrait on formal night on a plain backdrop.

In shore, the pictures are generally overpriced and we do not care for most of the backdrops that they use. Even worse are the logos and graphics that now seem to dominate the non-portrait photos.

Therefore, we avoid the photographers as much as possible. We politely decline while boarding, disembarking, and as many other times as possible. It saves our time and a little bit of money for the photographers.

On many sailings half of the ship has never cruised before, some may never cruise again. People like that are fish in a barrel for cruise lines, even in the Internet era where veterans share all the tricks on sites like these.

If you may never get to cruise again, you'll be more likely to buy a ton of photos. You'll pay whatever is asked in that case since (in your mind) you already paid all that money to get on the ship and/or if you will be able to return.

If they wanted to sell more photos they would get creative like Disney has with their Memory Maker product. Price is similar to Royal "all photo package" ($169 advanced purchase), but the photographers can insert "magic" into photos, plus if you order the CD you get a lot of cool stock photos. Plus Disney has photographers in a lot of cool spots; during out last trip we actually got one taken just as fireworks had exploded (wasn't perfect, but I was happy with it).

If Royal wanted me, as a long time cruiser, to buy that package they need to stage more unique opportunities, not just the tired formal photos. Maybe:

• Photo at the bridge controls (while in port)
  • Flowrider/rock wall/zip line action shots (NCL does this on Breakaway class ships with shots on the waterslides and the "walk the plank" section of the rope course)
  • Unique shots that incorporate views on the ship in port (more than I have seen to date)

Each ship offers something unique, and an opportunity for an interesting photo. I'm not saying prices would drop as a result, but it would make me more likely to buy more, or at least think that the photo isn't that bad of a deal since it is a really unique shot that I couldn't have done myself.

Edited by JasonV1

We've purchased the pkg on Celebrity (40th anniversary) & we're very happy with it. At the time it was $199 for digital & all the prints for a 14 night cruise. No longer, I think it was $300+ this past year. We had several formal pictures taken but didn't purchase any as they were awful (um, I do have a head...). We did Royal (NOTS) in Nov & were pleased that one of the C&A perks was a free 8x10 photo (each). We had several formal shots taken with an engaging photographer that was willing to do something different Not only that, the individual prices at $16.99 for an 8x10 weren't gouging you (Celebrity wanted $24.99). Also have the facial recognition software that is so much nicer & no waste. We cruise Celebrity next month, I'll see what the prices are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did a family cruise this spring and the daughter decided to buy the package and get all the photos for a set price, she then uploaded them unto a portable flash drive and sent one to us and one to her aunt, who inturn could print out the ones we wanted plus have the intire trip from everyones camera on a flash drive. In the past my DH & I would select a photo from formal night or a port photo but have cut way back on that and generally went with the best formal picture. I will buy port photos for my scrapbook.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

The way the link reads, you would not be able to do #1. However, in my experience with the all inclusive package, I have been able to get any picture I am in - including group shots. This is contradictory to the "official" rules in the link and I guess could vary from ship to ship.

Number 2, is correct. Any pictures of anyone not staying in the all inclusive picture package cabin, would have to be paid for (with the exception of minor children in a different cabin according to the link).

Dan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app.

RCI and Celebrity contract out with Image Photo Services. All the photographers on the ships work for them not the cruise company.

A "private photo session" here at home would run about $500 for a very small package of pictures, (maybe only 25 shots to pick from), and then each additional picture would cost even more. This is a weekend or evening cost , week days would be cheaper. There were 9 of us on this cruise, and there is no way I could ever get all 9 of us together, relaxed, tanned and happy for 7 days of basically unlimited portrait taking! There were at least 9 different places to take pictures in the evening before dinner - usually all going at the same time.

We had 7 under age 21 on this cruise - so all of them were able to be included in our unlimited package for $300. We also bought all the prints (thank GOD..see story on that below) for another $100. At least 60% of the 300 pictures we took were AWESOME!

As of today - I am still waiting for the replacement DISC for our pictures. Only 17 of 300 pictures were on the DISC when we opened it once at home. My daughter manually entered 300 photo numbers from the bottom of the prints we have, because they are having a difficult time finding all of our photos. I was reluctant to do this - it took her quite a while - but it is the only was we are going to be assured of seeing the digital images of the photos. :(:confused::(

Each cruise seems to price things differently. If you are up for taking loads of pictures (we were hoping to get some great ones and we did) and you can do the math - it is well worth it to get a package, and frame a few when you get home.

From a photography teacher, these photographs are expensive for several reasons:

- Knowing that people are likely to grab up the photograph and buy it on impulse, the ship prints ALL the photographs. They have to pay for that printing, even if the pictures don't all sell; thus, each picture's cost must cover a portion of the un-sold pictures.

- Sending your pictures away to a quality photograph processor is CHEAP (seriously, an 8x10 is around $1 -- and that's for processing a professional quality photograph), but the ship personnel are printing the photographs right there on the ship, which isn't particularly cost-effective. Ink, photo paper, and photo-quality printers are super expensive.

- They're employing photographers to take the pictures. They have an investment in quality cameras. You can't expect the resulting pictures to be as inexpensive as your own camera.

- The biggest is that people are willing to pay. If they weren't selling at this price, the ship would either stop selling photographs or would drop the price.

- One reason people are willing to pay is that they've paid so much for their cruise, for their nice dinner clothes . . . and they want a GOOD memory of their vacation, and they figure that the ship's photographer will do a better job for them. To be honest, the average person takes some pretty crappy photographs -- the ship's photographers, while not top-notch, are better than the average cruiser with a point-and-shoot camera (or worse, a camera phone).

- And, of course, it's a profitable endeavor.

Well said.

Last year on our cruise when I went to pay for the pictures I was getting, welcome aboard, port photos and a couple from formal night. Yes I will be looking at the all inclusive package this year. Anyway as I was paying the young lady waiting on me started laughing and said "This is the best photo taken the whole cruise, we were all looking at it last night and laughing at what a good sport your husband is!" I then had to look at the photo again, you see I am an avid scrapbooker and love having the "professional" photos to add to the many we take ourselves, so I was going to buy the port photos, they were going to have to be very bad for me to not buy them. So I looked at the photo again and there I am with my beautiful daughter and a couple of pirates, and then there is my dear hubby and a pirate with a sword to his neck, hubby is hamming it up like he is under attack. My husband is a quiet guy and hates to have his picture taken so this is probably my favorite picture from 9 cruises! I would have paid twice the price for that picture, so sorry, I am part of the reason your picture are so high. And we do look at our albums, I have them out around the house and friends and family are always looking through them.

Also the photographer helping me said "After being here late at night developing pictures then getting up early to put on a costume and piling on all that makeup and standing in the heat, its nice to have someone enjoy what we do." She said many people are rude and just bust thru where they are set up, some will even cuss at them.

A nice No, Thank you would work. I know we are all excited and ready to get on to whatever we have planned for the day. If you don't want to have your picture taken or buy it afterwards, thats up to you. No one is making you do it. Just smile and keep walking, the person behind you may be ready "go Hollywood":D

LOL, add another to the 'supply and demand". they charge the price the market will bear. as simple as that.

If I make widgets and I can get 20 bucks for a widget consistently, why would I only charge 10 bucks????

Actually I don't think those prices are outrageous. all other vacation venues I've been too recently are pretty much along those lines. Go to wdw or Universal. same price.

I don't like "staged" pictures so I carry my trusty dslr everywhere. I purchase one or two simply to have the entire family in one. I figure instead of a tee shirt, I get a family photo as a souvenier.

Edited by camptalcott

I'm amazed by the high quality of the photos taken on ships (certainly much better than my own) and I have albums and albums of them from years past. But the prices have gotten to a point where I rarely stray into the photo gallery anymore.

On the other hand, I usually take a pass at boarding, when the photographers come around the dining room, or are standing at the bottom of the gangway, so I don't feel like I'm wasting supplies.

But I do need a new head shot, so maybe on my next cruise when I'm all dressed up one night, I'll get some portraits taken and see if any will work. It's a relatively painless way to do it.

I rather sell 20 widgets at $5, ($100) then 5 at $17. ($85)

I'm sure they have done their testing to see what the market will bear, but to see all those pictures simply thrown out after the cruise has to make someone wonder if they would sell more if they would reduce the price and make more money doing so.

And as far as being professional photographers....I see too many pictures of people taken at the dinner table with their eyes closed. I'm sure a real professional would do a retake.

Recently I noticed that photos are priced different on different sailings on the SAME ship. On my October Enchantment 4 day sailing the 8x10s sold for $22.99 and then on my November 3 day sailing on Enchantment it was $19.95 for the 8x10.

"If I make widgets and I can get 20 bucks for a widget consistently, why would I only charge 10 bucks????"

So would you make more widgets than you could sell, and throw out the ones that are left over?

It's not so much the cost of the photos that is irksome, but rather the huge waste of time, effort and materials that goes into chasing those dollars.

When we first started cruising (about 10 years ago) I seem to remember the photo studio offering a package deal on remaining photos; the only problem was that passengers had to paw through piles of pictures in order to locate their own. It was kind of fun for awhile, but most people eventually gave up in frustration.

I'm sure they have done their testing to see what the market will bear, but to see all those pictures simply thrown out after the cruise has to make someone wonder if they would sell more if they would reduce the price and make more money doing so.

And as far as being professional photographers....I see too many pictures of people taken at the dinner table with their eyes closed. I'm sure a real professional would do a retake.

I agree...professional photographers, no way.

I agree...professional photographers, no way.

I have seen better pics around here taken with cell phone cams than some of the pics taken with 2K dollar cameras that they pass off "professional" on the ship.

I'd rather sell 5 @ $17 than 20 @ $5.

Why?

Cost of Goods Sold.

Each widget costs lets say $1 to make.

So selling 20 @ $5 = $100 revenue, less $20 expense = $80 profit

Selling 5 @ $17 = $85 revenue less $5 expense = $80 profit

Make same profit, with less overhead and resources. :D

Edited by cle-guy

The prices of the pictures has gone from being a little expensive to being ridiculous! I don't want an 8x10 picture at all, only a 5x7, especially when HALF of the picture is my ship! I have heard more people complain of the necessity of purchasing the 8x10 when they either fold if it half (for a 5x7 frame) or cut it in half. I would prefer pictures as they USED to be......5x7's and some had the name of the ship on it. When I look at all of the pictures that are discarded I realize that they probably have to up the prices to pay for the throwaways. We have the option of viewing them now so print them IF we want them. I no longer have pictures made at all EXCEPT for boarding and only do that because the couple we cruise with want it. Rather than have them made and not get them, we've decided we can save them a couple of pennies by just saying "no thank you"!

If Royal wanted me, as a long time cruiser, to buy that package they need to stage more unique opportunities, not just the tired formal photos. Maybe:

• Photo at the bridge controls (while in port)
  • Flowrider/rock wall/zip line action shots (NCL does this on Breakaway class ships with shots on the waterslides and the "walk the plank" section of the rope course)
  • Unique shots that incorporate views on the ship in port (more than I have seen to date)

Interesting thoughts. To expand, I might be more interested in buying IF I could have something other than just plain old pictures. For example, a mouse pad, a deck of cards, a keychain, or a coffee mug . . . featuring the photograph of my choice.

Of course they wouldn't make these expensive items up in hopes that you'd buy; but if you could see your picture and pick up these items the next day, I think they'd sell a bunch.

Another thought: I'm surprised they don't have Photo Booths onboard. Here LOTS of people rent them -- for proms, for weddings, etc. Our high school ALWAYS has one for prom (no charge -- included in the cost of the prom ticket), and it has a line all night long. The kids get one free keychain in which they can insert their favorite picture. At the end of the evening, the school has a "copy" of every picture that was taken, and those pictures are shown on the morning announcements the next week. The kids LOVE Photo Booths. Typically you have a box of props from which to choose -- crazy sunglasses, hats, scarves -- and you get your pictures INSTANTLY. I think they'd make a mint if they had this in the Royal Promenade.

Why?

Cost of Goods Sold.

Each widget costs lets say $1 to make.

So selling 20 @ $5 = $100 revenue, less $20 expense = $80 profit

Selling 5 @ $17 = $85 revenue less $5 expense = $80 profit

Make same profit, with less overhead and resources. :D

I'd agree except for one thing: In this unusual situation, they're printing ALL the photographs anyway. This means they're expending the effort and cost -- and if you don't buy, they lose.