Choosing Between Carnival and Royal Caribbean Alaska: Which One?

funcruiser1234

If you had a choice between Carnival and Royal Caribbean for Alaska which would you choose? Which has better programs geared towards Alaska?

Thank you!

You need to post the itineraries with the times.

As for "programs", Carnival does get the edge with their excellent ship naturalists. Although RCI sometimes does have lecturer's on board- they don't always, and didn't my my last 3 cruises with them. They do not have a "ship naturalist", usually, on board.

It would depend on the itineraries. Which ships stopped here or there and for how long? Which ships visited which glacier?.

If all things were equal for each line, Carnival is probably a lot cheaper than RCCI.

The real thing is the itinerary. That's what you go to Alaska for, not so much the cruise line.

Cheers

Len

You need to post the itineraries with the times.

As for "programs", Carnival does get the edge with their excellent ship naturalists. Although RCI sometimes does have lecturer's on board- they don't always, and didn't my my last 3 cruises with them. They do not have a "ship naturalist", usually, on board.

Wow- you must have sailed with a different naturalist- the one on our Carnival cruisewas terrible.The Princess naturalist was wonderful however, which is why we are going back to Princess. The Carnival cruise we took also did NOT sail what most people call the inside passage (it said it did)- it sailed to the west of Vancouver Island- which was a great disappointment since that is a wonderful part of the trip.

If you had a choice between Carnival and Royal Caribbean for Alaska which would you choose? Which has better programs geared towards Alaska?

Thank you!

Neither. Princess and HAL have been doing Alaska longer than anyone, have long-established infrastructure and programs in place for their guests.

Both will take you to Glacier Bay, which many feel is a must for your first time.

You will never get into Glacier Bay on RCL (no permits) and Carnival has a bare handful of permits.

Thank you to all for the responses! I am not choosing by itinerary, but by cruise line based on onboard programs, dining, and the value they offer to the Alaskan cruise.

Because you are basing you decision solely on the cruise line, and since you seem to be partial to Carnival you should probably go with them.

Wow- you must have sailed with a different naturalist- the one on our Carnival cruisewas terrible.The Princess naturalist was wonderful however, which is why we are going back to Princess. The Carnival cruise we took also did NOT sail what most people call the inside passage (it said it did)- it sailed to the west of Vancouver Island- which was a great disappointment since that is a wonderful part of the trip.

And who was your naturalist? Michelle has been working for Carnival over 15 years and is a top naturalist. She is on board most often. I'm also a friend of Jeff who, infrequently fills in- who actually works with Lindblad- (who you don't get employed with them unless you are an elite expert) and my friend Dirk worked for them one season, another superb naturalist, who is now back with Celebrity.

You do realize, Princess switches off their naturalists frequently. Rachel no longer is on a single ship- she switches on an off ships selling the Alaska guide. Jules is excellent, but they clearly have some who aren't as good.

The Seattle sailings sail outside Vancouver Island- a well known given. None of these sailings do round trip inside Vancouver Island. You booked a cruise involving Seattle, your "disappointment" would have been on any line. Princess does the same route on their round trip Seattle itineraries.

All Alaska itineraries can state they sail the "inside passage" because they all do. You can NOT get to Juneau and Skagway without doing so.

It sounds like you booked the wrong cruise with some errors in assumptions perhaps.

At least now you know what you like and can select a better option for your priorities.

Thank you!

Do either of them of cruise through Glacier Bay? If the answer is "no", my answer would be that both of them are bad choices.

On an earlier post, you said that you are basing your choice not on itinerary but on ship. Just my opinion but that is a spectacularly bad way to select your ship for an Alaska cruise. In fact, it should be the last thing that you use decide after itinerary, port times, port arrival times, port departure times, where the cruise starts and a whole bunch of other things. Once you have considered all these things, then worry about the cruise line.

Is there a logical reason that you are fixated on Carnival or Royal Caribbean besides the fact that you may have cruised on them in the Caribbean which has nothing to do with AK?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Thank you to all for the responses! I am not choosing by itinerary, but by cruise line based on onboard programs, dining, and the value they offer to the Alaskan cruise.

I would go with RCI then...and have 3 times.

Do either of them of cruise through Glacier Bay? If the answer is "no", my answer would be that both of them are bad choices.

On an earlier post, you said that you are basing your choice not on itinerary but on ship. Just my opinion but that is a spectacularly bad way to select your ship for an Alaska cruise. In fact, it should be the last thing that you use decide after itinerary, port times, port arrival times, port departure times, where the cruise starts and a whole bunch of other things. Once you have considered all these things, then worry about the cruise line.

Is there a logical reason that you are fixated on Carnival or Royal Caribbean besides the fact that you may have cruised on them in the Caribbean which has nothing to do with AK?

DON

My traveling style is similar to yours. :) I counldn't care less about the ship. Alaska is all that matters.

However, I have met plenty of people who just don't have the interest in Alaska. Some, simply won't consider tours due to cost etc.. All kinds of people. :)

There are many people that care about the ship on an Alaska Cruise, as well as other cruises. We are sailing RCCL to Alaska mostly based on the ship. My Son is traveling with us, he is ill and a full time wheelchair user, and because of this we spend more time actually on the ship than most. We are unfortunately not able to do a lot of the things that most can do, therefore the ship matters. I don't mean to disrespect anyone, But the crowd is different, say a bit older on some popular Alaska cruise lines and the activities for kids and young adults are something that my Son has not enjoyed on those other lines. What I'm saying is just because something works for you does not mean it works for others, or that they are making a bad decision going with another cruise line than the ones you choose. Everyone needs to base their decision on what works best for their situation.

There are many people that care about the ship on an Alaska Cruise, as well as other cruises. We are sailing RCCL to Alaska mostly based on the ship. My Son is traveling with us, he is ill and a full time wheelchair user, and because of this we spend more time actually on the ship than most. We are unfortunately not able to do a lot of the things that most can do, therefore the ship matters. I don't mean to disrespect anyone, But the crowd is different, say a bit older on some popular Alaska cruise lines and the activities for kids and young adults are something that my Son has not enjoyed on those other lines. What I'm saying is just because something works for you does not mean it works for others, or that they are making a bad decision going with another cruise line than the ones you choose. Everyone needs to base their decision on what works best for their situation.

Well said...it makes a difference to us too.

Happy sailing on RCI regardless of where that may be.

What I'm saying is just because something works for you does not mean it works for others, or that they are making a bad decision going with another cruise line than the ones you choose. Everyone needs to base their decision on what works best for their situation.

Very true. And some of us get overly zealous with our comments.

BUT, by the same token, when someone posts a question on a public forum, what they get is a bunch of personal opinions. And we all have different opinions based on our experiences, interests, needs, and priorities. This is especially true when someone asks for the 'best' or 'better' experience.

Just like the MEMBER REVIEWS you have to sort thru the opinions to find the responses that best address your own circumstances and needs.

Laura

I am very sorry your son is ill and needs that wheelchair. I give both of you a lot of credit for getting out and not letting an illness spoil your attempt for a stable life and having fun.

But you do have to understand, most of the questions and answers that are done here are probably good for the majority of the people. You would happen to be the exception not the norm.

Sailing Alaska should be based on the ports you will be in and the entire itinerary, rather than the specific ship. You might take the cruise line into consideration if you want to do Glacier Bay or a particular port that other lines don't do, but otherwise, MOST people do get off the ship in each port, plan something nice to do there. Alaska is considered a port intensive cruise, so the ship is secondary. I hope you understand where I am coming from when I say that. Yes, it may not pertain to everyone, as in your case, but it does, and should pertain to the majority.

Anyway, GOD bless you and your desire to not let an illness keep you family down.

Cheers

Len

Thank you!

In that case, my recommendation is easy. Definitely book Royal Caribbean.

First, my opinions on the ship discussion going on. If you don't care about the ship, why even cruise? That makes no sense to me. Wouldn't you want the best of both worlds if given the option - great route and great ship? :confused: You are on that ship every night, taking in their activities and entertainment. So yes, I fully understand why the ship is important to you.

Second, the naturalist discussion. 6 in 1, half dozen in the other. Both lines have them, and who you get that week is luck of the draw. Don't get hung up on that debate because it's irrelevant.

As for the 2 lines themselves, you know from sailing both that Carnival has really reduced their onboard live entertainment. Plus, I just have a hard time sailing through that beautiful Alaskan scenary on a ship that looks like it was designed inside by someone on LSD. The CCL ships sailing Alaska are downright ugly inside. The RCI ships are a lot more beautiful and have much larger windows and better viewing areas.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

In that case, my recommendation is easy. Definitely book Royal Caribbean.

First, my opinions on the ship discussion going on. If you don't care about the ship, why even cruise? That makes no sense to me. Wouldn't you want the best of both worlds if given the option - great route and great ship? :confused: You are on that ship every night, taking in their activities and entertainment. So yes, I fully understand why the ship is important to you.

Second, the naturalist discussion. 6 in 1, half dozen in the other. Both lines have them, and who you get that week is luck of the draw. Don't get hung up on that debate because it's irrelevant.

As for the 2 lines themselves, you know from sailing both that Carnival has really reduced their onboard live entertainment. Plus, I just have a hard time sailing through that beautiful Alaskan scenary on a ship that looks like it was designed inside by someone on LSD. The CCL ships sailing Alaska are downright ugly inside. The RCI ships are a lot more beautiful and have much larger windows and better viewing areas.

Ii have sailed RCI in Alaska with NO naturalist on board. So not a given.

As I mentioned, everyone is different. Your ship opinion is one line of thought. :) But clearly I couldn't care less what ship I do sail in Alaska. I admit, I also cruise frequently, 17 cruises last year with 7 in Alaska.

There aren't any ships that have you rowing or don't feed you. :) The basic services offered are all I need. For me the "show" is Alaska, I don't go to any offered by the ship. It is all about the itinerary, for me.

Absolutely- it needs a hard look at "yourself" and finding your own way and what you wish to include or not include with your trip. Best option for finding the right fit.

Royal Caribbean (if the choice is only those 2).

Princess and HAL have been doing Alaska longer than anyone, have long-established infrastructure and programs in place for their guests.

I see this posted all the time. What exactly does that mean? My last 2 Alaska cruises were on HAL and Celebrity, and I saw no difference whatsoever in what was offered to the guests. I agree Glacier Bay is fantastic, but what else do these lines offer wrt infrastructure and programs that the other lines don't? What does how long they've been Alaska matter? :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

I see this posted all the time. What exactly does that mean? My last 2 Alaska cruises were on HAL and Celebrity, and I saw no difference whatsoever in what was offered to the guests. I agree Glacier Bay is fantastic, but what else do these lines offer wrt infrastructure and programs that the other lines don't? What does how long they've been Alaska matter? :confused:

Great...finally someone has asked that question...:D

OK here are a couple of links that might add a historical perspective to all of this:

http://cruiselinehistory.com/1950s-alaska-cruise-retro-look-at-the-final-days-of-the-alaska-steamship-company/

http://cruiselinehistory.com/history-of-princess-cruises/

It is also said that Princess and HAL own the most land in Denali.

I was unable to dredge up any more info on either HAL or NCL as they are also pointed to as early entries into the market.

Ii have sailed RCI in Alaska with NO naturalist on board. So not a given.

As I mentioned, everyone is different. Your ship opinion is one line of thought. :) But clearly I couldn't care less what ship I do sail in Alaska. I admit, I also cruise frequently, 17 cruises last year with 7 in Alaska.

There aren't any ships that have you rowing or don't feed you. :) The basic services offered are all I need. For me the "show" is Alaska, I don't go to any offered by the ship. It is all about the itinerary, for me.

Absolutely- it needs a hard look at "yourself" and finding your own way and what you wish to include or not include with your trip. Best option for finding the right fit.

17 cruises last year ??????????????

are you looking to adopt a very nice person who'll be really quiet and not get in the way (unless you want me to be noisy)? :D

Regarding today's cruise experience through Alaska, it means absolutely nothing. There are certain things on Cruise Critic that get repeated over and over - and I guess if people say it enough, they think it comes true.

17 cruises last year ??????????????

are you looking to adopt a very nice person who'll be really quiet and not get in the way (unless you want me to be noisy)? :D

I am very fortunate. Biggest advantage we don't pay for air, making the world small.

I absolutely agree. NCL has been there for 25 years. The "new comer, Disney" has been there several seasons. It's a false slant, making it sound like other "new" cruiselines get lost every week or can't sail the same itineraries. :)

My opinion only, but Princess has a lot of, what I consider "crappy" land tours. They hold their visitors up in the McKinley Lodge at the expense of Denali Princess. in some cases, especially if only 1 night at Denali. I stopped by there in July, the lobby was loaded with people not doing much. :) Add to the mix, their table seating in their train cars. Always a "shock" for some unprepared visitors.

RCI and Celebrity has many pluses with their cruise tour itineraries. Very nice rail cars. Girdwood could be of interest for some, Seward (if schedule allows time), using the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge which is a winner. :) Etc etc etc

"Best" is to be knowledgeable and know the specific details of any trip in Alaska. Then the right choice can be made. :)