Canadian cruisers!!

It's true. I have a fairly high level of security clearance with the federal government and one area that I'm required to access had to upgrade their security systems. A retina scanner was considered but found to be vulnerable as you can pop someone's eye ball out...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

first of all, eww. secondly couldn't that happen with any kind of eye scan?

It's true. I have a fairly high level of security clearance with the federal government and one area that I'm required to access had to upgrade their security systems. A retina scanner was considered but found to be vulnerable as you can pop someone's eye ball out...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nope , could not get passed the inevitable squishing noises that would come with that , so I guess I'm no threat to national security.... Keep up the good work [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I like big boats and I cannot lie... (apologies to Sir Mix-a-Lot, and probably to everyone else here, for the reference) :D

I almost used "I like Big Beams and I can not Lie", in my Live on Allure thread title. I was then going to throw in a "Jump On It" reference in the first post, but I realized that few would get the joke.

At least I now know you would have.:D

So i just called RCI to prepay my gratuities and I decided to ask them about purchasing OBC and what the exchange rate is. Spoke with Vern and they said they no longer do this. They spoke with their supervisor and was offered to overcharge my account so that can become an On Board Credit BUT will not know what the exchange rate will be until the time of sail. So for example if they charged me 600 Canadian today, it goes by what exchange rate is on date of sail to convert to USD. So i guess everyone who did this before was lucky! :) The rep did say unfortunately it won't be any savings.

So i just called RCI to prepay my gratuities and I decided to ask them about purchasing OBC and what the exchange rate is. Spoke with Vern and they said they no longer do this. They spoke with their supervisor and was offered to overcharge my account so that can become an On Board Credit BUT will not know what the exchange rate will be until the time of sail. So for example if they charged me 600 Canadian today, it goes by what exchange rate is on date of sail to convert to USD. So i guess everyone who did this before was lucky! :) The rep did say unfortunately it won't be any savings.

Call " Gifts and Gear"

The sales reps booking cruises ( adding grats) often don't have a clue!

Edited by son3cruisers

Gifts and gear still sell OBCs. And as of five minutes ago their exchange rate was 1.40. FYI

Thanks for calling and reporting back! Glad they're still offering it but their rate will have to drop a bit more to be competitive with the banks. :(

With the gratuity rate on RCL going up in a few days, I was doing some quick number crunching on whether I should prepay my gratuities or hope the increased rate was offset by an improvement in our exchange.

Right now RCL has me prepaying gratuities for $111.44 CAD for a 7 day sail ($15.92/day) which based on the current $12.95 USD rate has me seeing an approximate exchange of $0.81 to the USD. That math seem right?

I'm guessing the G&G exchange rate is different than other rates?

Edited by lyteforce

With the gratuity rate on RCL going up in a few days, I was doing some quick number crunching on whether I should prepay my gratuities or hope the increased rate was offset by an improvement in our exchange.

Right now RCL has me prepaying gratuities for $111.44 CAD for a 7 day sail ($15.92/day) which based on the current $12.95 USD rate has me seeing an approximate exchange of $0.81 to the USD. That math seem right?

I'm guessing the G&G exchange rate is different than other rates?

I called to prepay my gratuities for a few upcoming cruises since it works out to about $1.23 Canadian -- a better rate than the bank.

As reported a few posts back, Gifts and Gear rate to purchase OBC is $1.40 right now. Definitely not much of a deal! :(

I called to prepay my gratuities for a few upcoming cruises since it works out to about $1.23 Canadian -- a better rate than the bank.

As reported a few posts back, Gifts and Gear rate to purchase OBC is $1.40 right now. Definitely not much of a deal! :(

Is it $1.23 or $1.40 for things such as shore excursions and flow rider lessons?

The night before we got off the Indy on March 31st we received forms in our cabin regarding Home Land Security. It was pre-filled with our names and home address. Also received the usual Customs forms.

Went through Customs/Immigration and had to hand in forms along with our Passports (we have Nexus but there was no opportunity to use it). Officer reviewed Passports and Form then stamped and returned our Passports and a detachable section of the Homeland Security Form.

In January we did not have the form so we asked the Officer was it a new requirement and he said it is used when they do not have computers. Then I noticed there was no computer for him to use.

Has anyone else had this experience lately?

KathyT

Is it $1.23 or $1.40 for things such as shore excursions and flow rider lessons?

I think the $1.40 is mainly for purchasing OBC. From what I can see, the excursions, drink packages, etc are at a much better rate of exchange. You'd just have to compare the price to the U.S. prices to see the exact rate.

Let us know what rate they are quoting you....

Maybe I should purchase a little bit more... Lol

The rates I posted are threw my bank and a friends bank we were comparing the rates between banks. I know I bought some a few weeks ago the rates were way worse. Its all a gamble