? About Luminae Construction on Equinox

RealDeal

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Can you post a current schedule of what ships are being worked on now and the completion date of those that are being worked on now. Thank you!

We are on the Equinox 2/23/15.

Hi. They posted the schedule here (post 82)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45512295#post45512295

Hi there,

Everything is going smoothly as of this time, and we have no reason to believe that the April dates will not be met for the opening of Luminae.

We recently posted the dates of construction per ship:

On 2/8, Reflection, Solstice, and Silhouette construction will start. Equinox started this week, and will continue.

On 3/1, Millennium, and Infinity construction will begin.

On 3/7, Constellation, and Summit construction will begin.

On 4/1, Eclipse construction will begin.

Many thanks Celebrity!

Have you given thought to trying out the new Luminae menu....let's say...Reflection Blu restaurant March 7 2015...just to make sure all is fine tuned. :)

Hi. They posted the schedule here (post 82)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45512295#post45512295

Thank you for your reference. However, I have seen that. I was interested in a CURRENT SCHEDULE for the EQUINOX.

'On 2/8, Reflection, Solstice, and Silhouette construction will start. Equinox started this week, and will continue.'

So, if EQUINOX work stated on 2/5- Did it start and when will it be finished?

Schedules are very loose. Been in the business too long to know that everything goes on and completed as scheduled.

I am a Celebrity loyalist but it just amazes me the number of kool-aid drinkers that, regardless of the situation, think Celebrity is never wrong and anyone who dares bring up an issue has some kind of axe to grind or really never wanted to cruise in the first place. Geez.

well spotted

Were you made aware of these changes prior to when a cruiser started this thread, because clearly Celebrity has been planning this for many months? True transparency would have been to tell us about this (here, on your website and through the travel agents) as soon as Celebrity made the construction schedule - so that the passengers could have made a choice about their vacation.

My issue isn't with you (whoever is posting from Celebrity Cruises, so no offense is intended) - my issue is with the timeliness of the communications.

That indeed would have been the right / smart thing to do.

Seems unfair to spring something on people after they have made their plans, paid their reservations, etc - whether it impacts them a little or a lot.

Let the consumer have the information up front and decide - and you eliminate any issues

Hi there,

We want to address this. When we were made aware of these changes, we had a decision to make. Do we post this information - so that our guests can be made aware ahead of time, even if we don't have any issues, or do we not share this information in hopes that it doesn't become an issue.

We decided to post this information, because good or bad news, we think that we should give our passengers as much information so that they don't experience any surprises. Again, this isn't to cause stress or any headache, but to be a bit more transparent.

If we don't post, people will be upset. However, in this case, people may be upset about posting this news, even if it proves to be nothing more than a simple inconvenience for most passengers.

We will continue to try this approach in the future.

I really don't know when this information was "posted," but I just learned about it within the past week or so, which is when construction had already begun, and I started this thread. I'm boarding in two days and am going in hoping for the best, but the fact of the matter is that I will be pretty surprised if this construction has no impact on wait times for Select Dining and/or ability to get specialty dining reservations. You can call it "nothing more than a simple inconvenience," but the last thing I want to deal with on a vacation I paid thousands of dollars for is being annoyed each time I go to the MDR.

If there really is no impact, then great, all's well that ends well; however, in my experience on various ships, there do tend to be fairly long lines for Select Dining, and taking out a bunch of traditional tables, thus increasing the number of passengers in Select, surely won't result in an improvement (in wait times).

that indeed would have been the right / smart thing to do.

Seems unfair to spring something on people after they have made their plans, paid their reservations, etc - whether it impacts them a little or a lot.

Let the consumer have the information up front and decide - and you eliminate any issues

Ditto to both berryberry and JFontaine.

Edited by RealDeal

when did it start?

when will it be finished?

Please answer the question.

What is this a court of law? Are we about to hold Celebrity Cruises in contempt of court?

:rolleyes:

Edited by cle-guy

when did it start?

They will know the answer to that question when the Captain on board the ship notifies them that the work is complete.

Edited by C-Dragons

I am quite surprised at the location. I find the area has a closed in feeling. Not my favourite place to sit...very claustrophobic.

Don't book a Suite and you won't have to ever sit there, simple fix.

Edited by wallie5446

They will know the answer to that question when the Captain on board the ship notifies them that the work is complete.

I think you are joking. If not, I know you are not the Captain, so jump ship.

I asked this question because I believe that since I am on the ship 2/23, I would like to know. Are you on the ship? If you are, answer the question.

What is this a court of law? Are we about to hold Celebrity Cruises in contempt of court?

:rolleyes:

No, I just asked a question. If you can't answer it, let Celebrity answer it. This is a forum. I read many other questions that I feel are or have been answered too many times such as Dress Code, Irons, etc. So, if you are the judge, what is the answer.

Edited by Oxo

Here's the layout from the Xs web site both M and S class, pre and post Luminae

Luminae.jpg

I wonder if there is a reason that on both classes it's on the side of the Ladies:eek:

Wow so now all the MDR passengers have to enter / exit through just one entrance. Yea, no issues there. Who was the genius that came up with that design

I wonder if there is a reason that on both classes it's on the side of the Ladies:eek:

...Who was the genius that came up with that design

It also does seem to make for a more circuitous route for any ladies wishing to 'powder their nose' mid-meal.

Unless they can nip through 'Luminae'? [emoji6]

Edited by GazW

Here's the layout from the Xs web site both M and S class, pre and post Luminae

Luminae.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I like the location and how it is designed, I do think it may create a bit of a cluster.... for people in the MDR at least at the beginning of a cruise, as I've watched the crowds gather before being herded in for early dining, and that was with two entrances. Just another reason we've switched to either Aqua or Select Dining for the last few years. Those crowds do seem to become smaller as the cruise progresses and actual "hunger" becomes pretty much nonexistent because of all the food everywhere, all the time....

It does make one wonder though if the long range plan for X could indeed be the same as what the corporation is now doing at Royal, breaking up the MDR into smaller venues and eliminating (except for a small area) traditional dining...which I would have no issue with, but realize there are many that would. But that's just speculating.....

when did it start?

Please understand that I say this in a non-sarcastic way. The second question can't be answered. You can ask contractors a finish date, and they'll give you an educated guess. But things arise that change the estimate almost invariably. I cannot imagine that the official Celebrity spokespeople are going to tell you it will be finished on March 1 at 5 p.m.

The official opening dates are all in April, so I'd go with that.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

If anyone can look at those drawings and say the rest of the dining is more crowded, you are kidding yourself. I can't imagine that line-up to get in one door. As it is, people seem to arrive later & later to dinner (we had many 45 min to an hour late on last cruise) - this is only more reason to arrive late & avoid the crowd. I pity any lady sitting 'behind' Luminae and having to run to the restroom - we travel with a woman that always has to leave, at least twice every dinner. With the packed in seating - good luck!

No, I just asked a question. If you can't answer it, let Celebrity answer it. This is a forum. I read many other questions that I feel are or have been answered too many times such as Dress Code, Irons, etc. So, if you are the judge, what is the answer.

Sorry, but this cracked me up! LOL!

So since you asked, and I'm currently watching Peoples Court on TV, I do feel a bit like a judge at the moment.

Likely, as these are the first installs, they don't actually know when it will be done as this is the first time doing such a project at sea. Perhaps they had an idea of a finish date at some point, and have run into issues while installing so now that date is not going to be met, so they don't care to add a finite date to these forums, lest they be jumped all over should they miss it by a day or two or a week. Already in this thread people have jumped all over them for having varying information relative to Eclipse, and even the start date of Equinox. It's just obviously all to fluid to put specifics to paper, and even when they tried, we (well, not me, but others) killed the messenger here.

I personally don't believe any corporation owes us any specific details related to its renovations processes other than to say there may be some inconvenience, and provide some guidance once we are in and among the process if its ongoing when we board, as they are doing with the letter and extending select dining times and pushing suite guests to specialties. That its been announced a year ago a restaurant was coming in April, common sense says that some cruises leading to those dates will have some disruptions. That they have stated in these forums over the last couple weeks also have indicated the process, even if its not exact.

Also I think we all fail to realize that the official Celebrity Rep often isn't the first (or even among the first few) person to know answers to things, any more than those on the ship are. God bless them for dealing with most of us on these forums. I imagine they, like I do, have the

I got at Disney that plays from Lion King, "I'm Surrounded by Idiots" when pressed. :rolleyes:

At this point with a cruise of yours coming up in the next 2 weeks, what difference will the answer to the question make, it's not like you are going to cancel and find another cruise. If it's done or not, you will find when boarding, it won't affect any decision making processes. Worried at all, book specialties now if you can, and cancel when you board, though even this may not be a factor in decision making, as many report that reservations are closed to advanced bookings for these cruses. Are you going to instead of packing a tuxedo pack a painters jumpsuit if installation is ongoing? I doubt it.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who board the affected ships will be thinking, wow that's cool whats going on, not thinking, my cruise is ruined by those walls.

It does make one wonder though if the long range plan for X could indeed be the same as what the corporation is now doing at Royal, breaking up the MDR into smaller venues and eliminating (except for a small area) traditional dining...which I would have no issue with, but realize there are many that would. But that's just speculating.....

I have been theorizing this for about a year now. Tough I don't see ships making individual smaller dining rooms out of the space, but rather just flipping fixed seating to upstairs and select to downstairs.

I totally see the main dining room floor becoming select dining, and those that sill cling to fixed dining get the upper decks for it.

Ir's clear by the actions NCL and RCL have taken to move to select dining styles, that that is what the new cruisers are looking for.

That RCL has fallen back from 100% Select dining, to now offering a smaller portion for Fixed diners, says to me that are experimenting and trying to find the perfect fit before going company wide with this type of policy.

Making the main MDR floor select will stagger arrivals thru the single entry as well, helping reduce wait times.