"service" animals-where do we draw the line?

ozarkmama

Sounds to me like they are the only ones with any common sense. There is a huge difference between a service animal, there was one on the same cruise with fluffy and a dog in a baby buggy. I would not not have any problem with the service animals, give me a break. As for comparing dogs with fleas to children with lice , big problem as dogs are not human last I heard. although I have seen some kids wh behave worse than animals, past life in the school system. Anyway why can't pax be made to leave dogs in the cabin during meal times, this includes Fluffy in his own canopy bed in the suite and have room service, by the way on Connie we saw the area where they do their business. Hubby called it the poop deck.

You don't even need to bother ordering a fake vest off the internet. On two separate occasions recently, I've observed dogs in public places wearing regular collars with metal tags reading "Service Animal" attached.

Pet stores in our area have machines where you can walk up, print tags with any wording you want, and the finished product drops out the slot in about 30 seconds. Makes it convenient if you happen to be driving around with Fluffy in her carseat and suddenly decide to take her out for a dinner and movie!

After reading this thread, I think I need a drink. Unfortunately for me, my dog cannot bring it to me (yet).:D

For many years my deer (dear) has brought me comfort in times of stress and even brings me a drink occasionally . Does this qualify her to accompany me on our next cruise at no cost ? :rolleyes:

Edited by scubacruiserx2

For many years my deer (dear) has brought me comfort in times of stress and even brings me a drink occasionally . Does this qualify her to accompany me on our next cruise at no cost ? :rolleyes:

LOL, perhaps but then you may have to pay the single supplement.:eek:

late to the party--however..

I know for a fact that a "service animal" tag is easily had from online sources..

My late father wanted to take his pet places---

:mad:Just royally ticked me off because 1- it wasn't a service dog, 2- dog wasn't trained, 3- first and foremost --service dogs are for those with real needs.

There need to be strict guidelines and MD prescribing letters or something to allow those in need to have their service animal and those like my late father stopped.

Edited by Fogfog

late to the party--however..

I know for a fact that a "service animal" tag is easily had from online sources..

My late father wanted to take his pet places---

:mad:Just royally ticked me off because 1- it wasn't a service dog, 2- dog wasn't trained, 3- first and foremost --service dogs are for those with real needs.

There need to be strict guidelines and MD prescribing letters or something to allow those in need to have their service animal and those like my late father stopped.

If you go to online sites, you will find that you can get your dog's photo and your name on an official looking identification card. They even advertise that this card will get your dog into hotels, cruise ships, restaurants, etc. No docs needed to get one of these beauties!

It did not say "Save on kennel and boarding costs when going on vacation".

Edited by keesar

If you go to online sites, you will find that you can get your dog's photo and your name on an official looking identification card. They even advertise that this card will get your dog into hotels, cruise ships, restaurants, etc. No docs needed to get one of these beauties!

It did not say "Save on kennel and boarding costs when going on vacation".

Businesses still have the right to ask.."Is it a service animal & what service does it perform?" Refusal of the animal owner to answer those 2 simple questions is all it takes to not allow entry. You P/C folks can squawk all you want, but that IS the law! You can't ask the disability of the person, but can ask what task the animal performs! The animal owner better have a correct answer or no admittance. Therapy & comfort animals don't cut it with the ADA.

Businesses still have the right to ask.."Is it a service animal & what service does it perform?" Refusal of the animal owner to answer those 2 simple questions is all it takes to not allow entry. You P/C folks can squawk all you want, but that IS the law! You can't ask the disability of the person, but can ask what task the animal performs! The animal owner better have a correct answer or no admittance. Therapy & comfort animals don't cut it with the ADA.

But liars do! If some jerk is going to go to the trouble of getting a fake vest or fake document, do you really think that they would hesitate to lie about what service the animal performs.

But liars do! If some jerk is going to go to the trouble of getting a fake vest or fake document, do you really think that they would hesitate to lie about what service the animal performs.

You're right!

When I went to Guest Relations on NOS 2 weeks ago to file a complaint about the guy with the dog, I was told that the man said he needed the dog for his diabetes. However, the vest on the dog said "Emotional Support Dog". Obviously, a fraud!

After reading this thread, I think I need a drink. Unfortunately for me, my dog cannot bring it to me (yet).:D

:D This is what my husband calls a "First World Problem". I really don't see why people get in such a state over something that most probably will have nothing to do with them. (and I don't want to hear the "allergies" excuse - literally everyone has "allergies" these days). Or the hygiene. The cruise line isn't going to let anyone's dog cruise the buffet and try samples. So it technically isn't a "service" dog, so some woman is pushing it around in a stroller (poor dog) - is this really the only thing people have to complain about? Don't ever plan on living in Europe if a dog in "people" places is going to upset you.

Edited by Winnigirl

:D This is what my husband calls a "First World Problem". I really don't see why people get in such a state over something that most probably will have nothing to do with them. (and I don't want to hear the "allergies" excuse - literally everyone has "allergies" these days). Or the hygiene. The cruise line isn't going to let anyone's dog cruise the buffet and try samples. So it technically isn't a "service" dog, so some woman is pushing it around in a stroller (poor dog) - is this really the only thing people have to complain about? Don't ever plan on living in Europe if a dog in "people" places is going to upset you.

I've been to Europe a number of times. Don't even get me started on hygiene over there. I remember using a restroom in Spain & seeing Leeches in the sink. The water source was a pipe sticking out of the stone wall. "Spring" water? It was gross, but I wasn't sure whether to laugh or get sick. Still I don't want to see animals on board ships, with the sole exception of service animals.

You're right!

When I went to Guest Relations on NOS 2 weeks ago to file a complaint about the guy with the dog, I was told that the man said he needed the dog for his diabetes. However, the vest on the dog said "Emotional Support Dog". Obviously, a fraud!

They do have service animals that detect diabetes changes. That, however, is for type 1 not type 2.

They do have service animals that detect diabetes changes. That, however, is for type 1 not type 2.

Yes, I know that there are true service dogs that can detect dangerous blood glucose fluctuations. However, this dog was wearing one of the fake vests that I saw can be purchased on line. It was a pet. Staff were playing with it. I overheard the man saying that he did not want to board the dog because it was old.

Yes, I know that there are true service dogs that can detect dangerous blood glucose fluctuations. However, this dog was wearing one of the fake vests that I saw can be purchased on line. It was a pet. Staff were playing with it. I overheard the man saying that he did not want to board the dog because it was old.

Still, it's such a disservice to those who truely require such animals.

I can't believe I just read 12 pages discussing service, therapy, emotional support pets. Other than reading about a woman feeding her dog off a platter at the buffet and the dog in the pool the only post that really got to me was reading about the person talking about the Vet and his PTSD therapy dog. The poster said the man appeared to be about 75 and not a recent veteran. Do you think PTSD goes away over time? It doesn't, and sometimes can be more destructive if left untreated. I served in Viet Nam in '65-'66 and recently went through therapy for alcoholism where the Psychiatrist identified classic PTSD symptoms. I filed with the VA and they sent me to their Psychiatrist who after asking many questions, examining my reactions to certain conditions and spending time diagnosing me advised the VA that my PTSD has left me 70% disabled. He also suggested I undergo Intensive Outpatient therapy (which I do). So a 75 year old Vet with PTSD should not be dismissed as a phony. As for myself I am now over two years sober, attend Friends of Bill W. meetings on cruises, and am enjoying life more now than before.

This story appeared in the local newaspaper :

Fake service dog bill goes to governor

June 1, 2015 | Filed in: 2015 Bills.

A bill that punishes owners of fake service dogs and protect those with invisible disabilities who use a service animals has been sent to to the governor for his signature.

Although much of the bill, HB 71, reiterates rights and rules included in the Americans with Disabilities Act, it also makes misrepresenting your pet as a service animal or harassing a disabled person with a service dog a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by 30 hours of community service for an organization that assists the disabled or other group decided by a judge. The community service must be completed within six months.

If Gov. Rick Scott has not signed or vetoed the bill by June 16, it will automatically become law. The law becomes effective on July 1.

A bill that punishes owners of fake service dogs and protect those with invisible disabilities who use a service animals has been sent to to the governor for his signature.

Although much of the bill, HB 71, reiterates rights and rules included in the Americans with Disabilities Act, it also makes misrepresenting your pet as a service animal or harassing a disabled person with a service dog a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by 30 hours of community service for an organization that assists the disabled or other group decided by a judge. The community service must be completed within six months.

If Gov. Rick Scott has not signed or vetoed the bill by June 16, it will automatically become law. The law becomes effective on July 1.

This is a MUCH needed bill for the hospitality industry...it's amazing how many lie about their "service" animal. Managing a resort and watching "Fluffy" jumping, barking and basically annoying other guests while wearing her web purchased "Service Animal" jacket does great harm to those wonderful animals that ACTUALLY do service and assist people with disabilities. If you can't leave "Fluffy" at home then don't travel. And, yes, I have pets too, I leave them at home when I travel........

Edited by Gracie115

Since the bill makes "harassing a disabled person with a service dog" a crime as well, I wonder if it provides a method for determining if a service dog is a fake or a real service dog and what that method would be.

It's a very small step forward...mostly for (political) show since no owner (or ship) will challenge a service animal because of the ongoing fear of violating the federal law. IMHO, the law will change nothing. How do you demonstrate that the animal is not a service dog...there is no license required, etc

Edited by ghstudio

I can't believe I just read 12 pages discussing service, therapy, emotional support pets. Other than reading about a woman feeding her dog off a platter at the buffet and the dog in the pool the only post that really got to me was reading about the person talking about the Vet and his PTSD therapy dog. The poster said the man appeared to be about 75 and not a recent veteran. Do you think PTSD goes away over time? It doesn't, and sometimes can be more destructive if left untreated. I served in Viet Nam in '65-'66 and recently went through therapy for alcoholism where the Psychiatrist identified classic PTSD symptoms. I filed with the VA and they sent me to their Psychiatrist who after asking many questions, examining my reactions to certain conditions and spending time diagnosing me advised the VA that my PTSD has left me 70% disabled. He also suggested I undergo Intensive Outpatient therapy (which I do). So a 75 year old Vet with PTSD should not be dismissed as a phony. As for myself I am now over two years sober, attend Friends of Bill W. meetings on cruises, and am enjoying life more now than before.

Congratulations on two years sober!!!

I hope you continue to enjoy life to the fullest, and continue to speak up on behalf of our wonderful veterans.

Never said he was recently discharged. Most people who flipped out at the cafe owner thought the vet was a recent dischargee. It's never been show whether this person was actually a vet or whether he had PTSD. It was simply a sensationalized news story locally to generate ratings! Either way, if it's a "therapy" animal, the owner (whether you or anyone else likes it or not)can refuse admittance. The video showed no proof whatsoever whether it was a therapy dog or not. The vest the dog wore certainly was not what most would consider legit. It was tattered & looked homemade in the newscast.

It's a very small step forward...mostly for (political) show since no owner (or ship) will challenge a service animal because of the ongoing fear of violating the federal law. IMHO, the law will change nothing. How do you demonstrate that the animal is not a service dog...there is no license required, etc

To both Lsimon & Ghstudio..It's quite simple, the business owner may ask: "Is your animal a service animal?" The person asked has to say yes or no. The business owner then may ask what service does the animal perform. If the person refuses to reply to that question, they may be refused entry. They can not inquire as to the person's suspected disability(personally, they should show some proof, as to requiring the animal)) It's up to the business owner to decide what to do. For me it's simple(I don't care about you P/C folks,so clam up!!)If they refused to answer as I stated earlier about what service the animal does,the person would not be admitted,period! We've got precious space & only would allow legit service animals entry.