"service" animals-where do we draw the line?

ozarkmama

If someone is going to lie about "Fluffy" being a service animal, they will lie about what service the dog provides. At that point, the business owner has no other option than to let them in. Since no certificate is required, it is your word against theirs......you can't say "prove it".

This bill resolves nothing other than to punish those that "question" (harass) Fluffy's owner - even though they are lying and everyone knows it!!!! It seems to me that it makes things worse for those trying to battle the fraudsters. :(

To both Lsimon & Ghstudio..It's quite simple, the business owner may ask: "Is your animal a service animal?" The person asked has to say yes or no. The business owner then may ask what service does the animal perform. If the person refuses to reply to that question, they may be refused entry. They can not inquire as to the person's suspected disability(personally, they should show some proof, as to requiring the animal)) It's up to the business owner to decide what to do. For me it's simple(I don't care about you P/C folks,so clam up!!)If they refused to answer as I stated earlier about what service the animal does,the person would not be admitted,period! We've got precious space & only would allow legit service animals entry.

This is the current law. I was wondering what the difference under the new law would be and how you would determine that a service animal is a fake under the new law without risking a "harassment" claim.

I can't believe I just read 12 pages discussing service, therapy, emotional support pets. Other than reading about a woman feeding her dog off a platter at the buffet and the dog in the pool the only post that really got to me was reading about the person talking about the Vet and his PTSD therapy dog. The poster said the man appeared to be about 75 and not a recent veteran. Do you think PTSD goes away over time? It doesn't, and sometimes can be more destructive if left untreated. I served in Viet Nam in '65-'66 and recently went through therapy for alcoholism where the Psychiatrist identified classic PTSD symptoms. I filed with the VA and they sent me to their Psychiatrist who after asking many questions, examining my reactions to certain conditions and spending time diagnosing me advised the VA that my PTSD has left me 70% disabled. He also suggested I undergo Intensive Outpatient therapy (which I do). So a 75 year old Vet with PTSD should not be dismissed as a phony. As for myself I am now over two years sober, attend Friends of Bill W. meetings on cruises, and am enjoying life more now than before.

You have just brought tears to my eyes.

I am of the Vietnam Nam generation, and I remember well. My brother didn't have PTSD, he had "flashbacks."

How thankful I am that we now recognize PTSD for what it is, and that there is treatment, including well-trained dogs for some.

Thank you, and congratulations on your recovery!

This story appeared in the local newaspaper :

Fake service dog bill goes to governor

June 1, 2015 | Filed in: 2015 Bills.

A bill that punishes owners of fake service dogs and protect those with invisible disabilities who use a service animals has been sent to to the governor for his signature.

Although much of the bill, HB 71, reiterates rights and rules included in the Americans with Disabilities Act, it also makes misrepresenting your pet as a service animal or harassing a disabled person with a service dog a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by 30 hours of community service for an organization that assists the disabled or other group decided by a judge. The community service must be completed within six months.

If Gov. Rick Scott has not signed or vetoed the bill by June 16, it will automatically become law. The law becomes effective on July 1.

Thank you for posting this.

What would you do if the person with the therapy dog was sitting by the pool smoking medical marijuana?

This appears to be a rhetorical question since drugs (marijuana is still a drug - whether or not you personally are allowed to legally use it in your home state/country or not) are NOT allowed on board. Ever.

This is the current law. I was wondering what the difference under the new law would be and how you would determine that a service animal is a fake under the new law without risking a "harassment" claim.

For the first time in my life, both legs of my recent flights to and from LA had "service dogs" on them. One of the dogs probably was a legitimate service animal, one I strongly suspect was not, and the third was a definite maybe.

The one I suspect was not a service animal was a chihuahua. Though it is slightly possible he was trained to alert for seizures or some psychiatric need. The woman who was carrying him the entire time (yes, carrying) was obviously not using him as a guide, nor did it appear that she had trouble hearing (based on her holding conversations easily), and she had no mobility issues (not based on the high heels she had on!). While on the plane she held him and was treating him like a little baby.... So, as I said, I question it. (The other two dogs just laid at their owners' feet and enjoyed the flights.)

Anyway, I wish the law was such that only people with legitimate service animals could buy the vests or tags that they wear. The problem is that anyone can buy those vests for their animals. You put them on your dog and voilà instant service animal!

The one I suspect was not a service animal was a chihuahua. Though it is slightly possible he was trained to alert for seizures or some psychiatric need. The woman who was carrying him the entire time (yes, carrying) was obviously not using him as a guide, nor did it appear that she had trouble hearing (based on her holding conversations easily), and she had no mobility issues (not based on the high heels she had on!). While on the plane she held him and was treating him like a little baby.... So, as I said, I question it. (The other two dogs just laid at their owners' feet and enjoyed the flights.)

might have been a therapy dog - which is different from a service dog; while not protected under the ADA in the fashion that service dogs are protected - therapy dogs are allowed on planes.

Edited by alexspepa

[/i]might have been a therapy dog - which is different from a service dog; while not protected under the ADA in the fashion that service dogs are protected - therapy dogs are allowed on planes.

Possibly. But I would have thought that the copious amounts of alcohol she was downing throughout the flight would have eased any anxiety she might have had.

I'm still trying to figure out how she was able to walk off the plane!

Possibly. But I would have thought that the copious amounts of alcohol she was downing throughout the flight would have eased any anxiety she might have had.

I'm still trying to figure out how she was able to walk off the plane!

Maybe thats why she needed to dog.

For the first time in my life, both legs of my recent flights to and from LA had "service dogs" on them. One of the dogs probably was a legitimate service animal, one I strongly suspect was not, and the third was a definite maybe.

Anyway, I wish the law was such that only people with legitimate service animals could buy the vests or tags that they wear. The problem is that anyone can buy those vests for their animals. You put them on your dog and voilà instant service animal!

Agree...

I was on a flight from Tampa to Los Angeles en route to my most recent cruise. A Passenger boarded with a dog that had the vest on. The dog was sniffing around, wagging its tail etc. and did not seem to be as well-mannered as other service dogs I have seen. As for the owner, he may have had a medical issue, but he looked like he could have been a professional tennis player. When the plane landed, the owner got out into the terminal, bent down, took the service collar off, and then proceeded to carry the dog down the escalator.

I'll give you a perfect answer as what happened today at Sam's Club. Two men were sitting at a table at the cafe with a large dog. They were feeding it from the table. I said to the asst. mgr. standing there "Why is this dog being fed at that table"? He stated "we can't say anything". Well, I said those rules don't apply to a private citizen! I then asked the 2 guys why is the dog in here. They responded "it's a service dog" I responded "What service does it perform?" The response was it's for disabled people. Again, I asked what service does it perform(now people were taking notice)They said "We don't have to tell you nothing!"(great grammar,by the way)I then decided to have some fun & told them Do you understand the federal penalty for faking a service dog? $1500fine, or 6 months in jail or both(not true, but it gets better)I then said "I think I'm going to call the local police & have you 2 arrested for federal fraud!" The absolute look of fear on their faces said it all. There are growing complaints about fraud & states are putting really stiff penalties on their books. The federal Gvt. needs to look at this,as their the idiots who made all this possible.I checked a law website & they told people how they can just get away with it. My god, there was even a link to another site where you could buy "realistic" fake certificates & vests Etc. We as a people need to step up & take action against the fraud. Public humiliation(within reason, obviously)certainly can help shame some.

If celebrity ever read this thread I'm sure they stopped a long time ago but just in case -

We received this today as part of an information packet from a family camp we attend:

Service Dogs: Per ADA and Department of Justice guidelines, the service dog policy for Camp ******* is as follows:

A written request from a camper to bring a service dog to Camp must be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the start of the week the camper will be attending camp. The letter must answer the following questions:

-- Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

-- What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

The dog shall wear a Service Dog vest at all times when outside the cabin

The dog should be on a leash at all times, be under the control of the owner and not be allowed to run loose. This includes the entire Camp grounds, hiking trails, beaches and roads

The owner must immediately pick up any feces left by the dog and properly dispose of it.

The dog shall not threaten or disturb (including barking) any other person, or persons, nor any camp program.

The Director of Camp ******* shall have the authority to ask that a Service Dog be removed from Camp ******* if the terms of the above policy are violated

If celebrity ever read this thread I'm sure they stopped a long time ago but just in case -

We received this today as part of an information packet from a family camp we attend:

Service Dogs: Per ADA and Department of Justice guidelines, the service dog policy for Camp ******* is as follows:

A written request from a camper to bring a service dog to Camp must be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the start of the week the camper will be attending camp. The letter must answer the following questions:

-- Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

-- What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

The dog shall wear a Service Dog vest at all times when outside the cabin

The dog should be on a leash at all times, be under the control of the owner and not be allowed to run loose. This includes the entire Camp grounds, hiking trails, beaches and roads

The owner must immediately pick up any feces left by the dog and properly dispose of it.

The dog shall not threaten or disturb (including barking) any other person, or persons, nor any camp program.

The Director of Camp ******* shall have the authority to ask that a Service Dog be removed from Camp ******* if the terms of the above policy are violated

Of course this letter potentially violates the ADA law itself because you can't require advanced notice...or rather you can't refuse a service animal if they just arrive.

The rest of the letter is excellent and accurate...and it would be wonderful if celebrity handed a copy of those points to anyone with a service dog when they arrived to embark on their cruise....as a friendly reminder.

Of course this letter potentially violates the ADA law itself because you can't require advanced notice...or rather you can't refuse a service animal if they just arrive.

The rest of the letter is excellent and accurate...and it would be wonderful if celebrity handed a copy of those points to anyone with a service dog when they arrived to embark on their cruise....as a friendly reminder.

Hard to say on ther legality. It reasons advance notice, mainly due to the issues that might arise with the animal..such as wildlife, potential harm to the service animal, reponsiblity in caring for the animal(certainly not the camp's)restriction of activities etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We have bigger issues in Rhode Island:

Right now, it's illegal to bring pet birds, hamsters or even goldfish camping in Rhode Island.

But, that could all change with new legislation that's making its way through the General Assembly, as it's already passed the House and is scheduled to be heard in the Senate.

Tom Wharton, who for more than 20 years has owned Tootsie, an umbrella cockatoo, loves to camp.

But, he is not allowed to take Tootsie with him in Rhode Island.

“The problem is, and has been, that the state law provides for campgrounds only to bring in cats and dogs,” said Wharton, with Tootsie was perched on his shoulder. “I was made aware a few years ago when I was ejected from Burlingame Park, and then I was ejected from Fisherman's Memorial because I had a bird inside my RV.”

Can I bring my kid for free as a service ?. Time to try and shut this bull**** down

My 5 year old granddaughter calms my nerves greatly when she's with me.

She sits quietly at the table .

I think that's a great idea! ;) ... :D

Edited by chamima