Reflection Luminae Construction Feb 7 2015

C 2 C

I talked to the executive chef today.

Except for the 7pm dining time, the wait staff and kitchen staff have not been overstretched. It seems that the transition is much smoother than expected.

The new Luminae will be finished Feb 28th, ready for occupancy.

The suite kitchen will be carved out of the present kitchen by relocating various heating elements. It will be accomplished behind the scenes in March.

New menus would be available by the end of March and fully implemented on schedule in April.

Those making an issue about imagined problems will look for any excuse to be dissatisfied.

People will be upset because we will probably arrive late in San Juan next cruise, just as we have 6 out of 7 cruises due to stronger than expected trade winds and ocean currents this year. People will be upset because so many took advantage of the same beverage package they did and will have to wait a little longer for a drink.

We're content as ever and have learned to avoid sitting with those finding fault with everything so that they can be content feeling miserable on a beautiful ship in wonderful surroundings.

Thank you for the update Arno. I'd be happy to spend time with you and Joanne anytime.[emoji2]

I read the same information. Hopefully this is true. Fresh fish from a Med port would be wonderful.

This is what the press release says regarding this

"With handcrafted dishes that are made from scratch, the unique menus will also feature locally sourced regional and seasonal ingredients inspired by the destinations Celebrity sails to among the world’s seven continents."

You can be fairly sure that the "locally sourced regional and seasonal ingredients" will all be routed via the purchasing department in Miami.

You won't see the chef visiting the local market with his basket to pick local product. If you think about it he would be picking enough for 90 people. It would take a small army of kitchen porters to carry it all back to the ship.

Gordon

"With handcrafted dishes that are made from scratch, the unique menus will also feature locally sourced regional and seasonal ingredients inspired by the destinations Celebrity sails to among the world’s seven continents."

You can be fairly sure that the "locally sourced regional and seasonal ingredients" will all be routed via the purchasing department in Miami.

You won't see the chef visiting the local market with his basket to pick local product. If you think about it he would be picking enough for 90 people. It would take a small army of kitchen porters to carry it all back to the ship.

Gordon

One could hope...but maybe Celebrity could contract local producers to deliver their stock to the ship. Just a thought.[emoji6]

Does anyone have any CONFIRMATION that a new, dedicated kitchen is being installed?

I've read lots of supposition and speculation on these boards on this matter, but have seen nothing confirming this from anyone on the Celebrity side.

I'm assuming it's just being handled within existing kitchen spaces.

If anyone can point to any confirmation of a newly built, dedicated kitchen, that would be helpful.

I can't seem to find it, but there was a post somewhere, either the live blog/chat or maybe by Arno who said that Luminae may be open early, for suite guest, but would be server the MDR menu until the kitchen was complete, which may take a couple more sailings. It was definitely posted, but I can't seem to find it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'm intrigued how the waiters are going to get from the kitchens to the suite restaurant, will they have the trays through the MDR?

It would appear so. If you look at the floor plans on both M and S class you will see a "back door" leading in from MDR with a partition wall there.

In M class kitchen is down under the MDR and they use escalators to get food up, S class kitchen is behind the MDR, so seems food will come from there and into the back door to Luminae.

I talked to the executive chef today.

Except for the 7pm dining time, the wait staff and kitchen staff have not been overstretched. It seems that the transition is much smoother than expected.

The new Luminae will be finished Feb 28th, ready for occupancy.

The suite kitchen will be carved out of the present kitchen by relocating various heating elements. It will be accomplished behind the scenes in March.

New menus would be available by the end of March and fully implemented on schedule in April.

Those making an issue about imagined problems will look for any excuse to be dissatisfied.

People will be upset because we will probably arrive late in San Juan next cruise, just as we have 6 out of 7 cruises due to stronger than expected trade winds and ocean currents this year. People will be upset because so many took advantage of the same beverage package they did and will have to wait a little longer for a drink.

We're content as ever and have learned to avoid sitting with those finding fault with everything so that they can be content feeling miserable on a beautiful ship in wonderful surroundings.

AMEN and well said. And again thanks for the updates. I know you have a few other things to do on your cruises than get involved in this, but at any rate, it's very much appreciated by most of us. And I take your word (with pleasure) that it's been relatively seamless w/ minimal disruption.

AMEN and well said. And again thanks for the updates. I know you have a few other things to do on your cruises than get involved in this, but at any rate, it's very much appreciated by most of us. And I take your word (with pleasure) that it's been relatively seamless w/ minimal disruption.

Agreed.

..You won't see the chef visiting the local market with his basket to pick local product. If you think about it he would be picking enough for 90 people. It would take a small army of kitchen porters to carry it all back to the ship.

Gordon

I thought the same thing, but just read a CC news story talking about the new Holland America ship, Koningsdam...they will have a pay for seafood restaurant and according to the article, "chefs also will bring back local catches of the day from ashore and feature them as specials".

So I guess we will see if X follows suit.

I thought the same thing, but just read a CC news story talking about the new Holland America ship, Koningsdam...they will have a pay for seafood restaurant and according to the article, "chefs also will bring back local catches of the day from ashore and feature them as specials".

So I guess we will see if X follows suit.

Oceania sometimes offers a " Catch of the day " , which is FRESH fish acquired in port. It is only offered as and when available..

On both S and M class it is lower lever MDR, taking seats away from Fixed dining. This is different than the word in the official Suite Perks FAQ that had it on the upper level thus removing select dining.

I counted the loss of seats due to the displacement based onto floor maps old and new, and only about 50 seats are lost in the process. Far more than that number of seats go unused nightly, as specialty restaurants can accommodate up to 1000 people in a night on the S class ships, and about 500 on M class ships, without regard for those who choose to dine with Room Service or in the buffet.

Edited by cle-guy

On both S and M class it is lower lever MDR, taking seats away from Fixed dining. This is different than the word in the official Suite Perks FAQ that had it on the upper level thus removing select dining.

I counted the loss of seats due to the displacement based onto floor maps old and new, and only about 50 seats are lost in the process. Far more than that number of seats go unused nightly, as specialty restaurants can accommodate up to 1000 people in a night on the S class ships, and about 500 on M class ships, without regard for those who choose to dine with Room Service or in the buffet.

In my last half dozen cruises or more I really don't believe thier has ever been 50 extra seats anywhere in the dining room, fixed dining has always been packed. Maybe five six years ago but not lately .....

In my last half dozen cruises or more I really don't believe thier has ever been 50 extra seats anywhere in the dining room, fixed dining has always been packed. Maybe five six years ago but not lately .....

So if all the MDR seats are full, and every passenger on ship is assigned a seat in the MDR, then your analysis would say that the specialty restaurants have gone empty and not used, and that no one has dined in the buffet. This is simply not the case.

I just don't think people actually take the time to accurately survey the entire MDR each night and realize how many openings there are. My cruise in November, I saw entire 12 tops empty, the 6 top next to us was empty 3 of 7 night as that group went specialty almost exclusively but for formal nights. And i wasn't paying attention to the whole of the dining room.

It's really just math. Either the butt is in its assigned seat in MDR or it sat in a seat in specialties or buffet. If it sat in a specialty or buffet, then there was an empty seat in the MDR, butt-for-butt.

The other thing is as people reserve specialties, the MDR staff knows who will not be there at night, and do a good job if letting straggling table mates know they will be dining alone (as table mates should be doing themselves as a courtesy the night prior), so will ask to reseat a couple left dining alone at an 8 top so they don't feel weird with 2 people sitting at a table for 8.

Gordon

Gordon

I guess that you did not see the TV programme about Solstice in Australia on Quest in the UK a week or so ago. The executive chef did, indeed, go shopping in the local market and bought fish for a special in the buffet.

Gordon

I guess that you did not see the TV programme about Solstice in Australia on Quest in the UK a week or so ago. The executive chef did, indeed, go shopping in the local market and bought fish for a special in the buffet.

This is precisely what I'd like to see occur in April in ports in the Med. Fingers crossed [emoji3]

Gordon

No Sue, I didn't. I am afraid at this time of year I don't get much time for TV. The minute our clients know that I am going on holiday, all their priorities need to be handled, particularly as I am away for 4 weeks starting on Wednesday.

Gordon

No Sue, I didn't. I am afraid at this time of year I don't get much time for TV. The minute our clients know that I am going on holiday, all their priorities need to be handled, particularly as I am away for 4 weeks starting on Wednesday.

Gordon

Gordon

No worry. As I said, it was on Quest, it will be repeated and repeated and ... Perhaps someone at home can record it for you for when you are not so busy.

Gordon

On the Reflection July 2014 Med cruise- I believe it was at the Cruise Critic function or the Behind the scenes kitchen tour either the Hotel Director or the Exec Chef mentioned that while there was a fixed 14 day corporate menu that rotated in the MDR, fixed menus in Specialty, there were some summer specialties that were purchased in ports and brought into a section of the buffet (special cherries, apricots, regional dishes prepared from these local ingredients).

Edited by villageneighbor

just back from reflection. no problem with select dining. never waited for a table at all. had excellent service and the food was better than on most recent celebrity cruises. we wouldn't have known there was any construction going on at all. great cruise.