Dynamic Dining going to pre-pay gratuities mandatory

This is according to my travel agent while we had breakfast this morning.

Drink gratuities are up to 18% (I have seen postings)

Stateroom gratuities going up across all categories

Dynamic Dining is going to require prepayment of gratuities in near future.

Don't kill me, I am just the messenger

Not happy about the gratuity increases but not really surprised. Pre-paid or pay on the ship, makes no difference to me. I actually prefer pre-paying at final payment, which I have been doing since the introduction of MTD.

I am curious as to how mandatory tips for Dynamic Dining is going to work out. On ships with Dynamic Dining, that is the only dining option there is. There is no traditional MDR anymore. That means ALL people sailing on those ships will pre pay gratuities at final payment date?

Not happy about the gratuity increases but not really surprised. Pre-paid or pay on the ship, makes no difference to me. I actually prefer pre-paying at final payment, which I have been doing since the introduction of MTD.

The problem I see is that a lot of people have OBC that they want to cover gratuities. I guess if they sail on a ship that has DD, they will no longer be able to use the OBC to cover tips.

I love to cruise and all the lines keep adding fees etc etc, AI resorts such as Sandals that no tipping is allowed sound better and better ( they will dismiss people if they accept a tip)

Pricing on Sandals is probably higher than cruising and therefore I would think grats are built into your costs

We tip - we do not remove tips - however, I am not understanding why it would be mandatory to pre-pay tips if they can add your tips per person per day on your on board account anyway.

When this practice was not in force, I could understand mandatory for MTD and now Dynamic - but either way - most people (if they don't remove them) are going to pay the tips

My travel agent said the company gets millions of dollars up front to do what they wish with before it goes to the employees. Also Royal wants to get away from letting guests use OBC on tips as it is the most costly use of OBC to the company. They would rather you use it on things like excursions or in the shops.

We'll sail on Celebrity. Same company but better perks and they treat people a little nicer, not like breathing account numbers.

Last week (while on a cruise) I booked Allure for NYE 2015, with MTD (wasn't asked, assuming this is the standard now).

I did not see a line item on my invoice for grats, and the invoice mentions the daily charge on my account onboard to cover them.

I don't have the invoice with me but I wondered at the time about it. I can't imagine them being rolled into the base fare, but at the same time I expected to have to prepay. As it stands today, I'm expecting to be charged for them while onboard.

Last week (while on a cruise) I booked Allure for NYE 2015, with MTD (wasn't asked, assuming this is the standard now).

I did not see a line item on my invoice for grats, and the invoice mentions the daily charge on my account onboard to cover them.

I don't have the invoice with me but I wondered at the time about it. I can't imagine them being rolled into the base fare, but at the same time I expected to have to prepay. As it stands today, I'm expecting to be charged for them while onboard.

Im thinking they will be charged at your final payment date.

This is according to my travel agent while we had breakfast this morning.

Drink gratuities are up to 18% (I have seen postings)

Stateroom gratuities going up across all categories

Dynamic Dining is going to require prepayment of gratuities in near future.

Don't kill me, I am just the messenger

Since the new guy in charge is from celebrity, it's very possible that what you will see is that all dining categories (Dynamic, Classic, Traditional and My Time) will require prepaid gratuities. Then all passengers would be treated in a consistent manner.

Funny thing is when I booked a cruise prior to the postponement of Dynamic Dining I was not required to prepay gratuities. In fact, my TA first said I would have to prepay because of DD and then she said that I did not. That cruise has been changed to MTD and I've not been billed for gratuities.

I have read several times where people say they pay gratuities at final payment, the gratuities showing up on our Oct 2015 cruise, are built already into our total cruise price. Question, why do some say they pay at final payment. ? I figure if I am making payments on our cruise I am paying along the way.

Cruise X $

Govt Fees X $

Gratuities X $

Total XXX

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I have read several times where people say they pay gratuities at final payment, the gratuities showing up on our Oct 2015 cruise, are built already into our total cruise price. Question, why do some say they pay at final payment. ? I figure if I am making payments on our cruise I am paying along the way.

Cruise X $

Govt Fees X $

Gratuities X $

Total XXX

A lot of people just pay the per person deposit and nothing else until final payment day.

I am curious as to how mandatory tips for Dynamic Dining is going to work out. On ships with Dynamic Dining, that is the only dining option there is. There is no traditional MDR anymore. That means ALL people sailing on those ships will pre pay gratuities at final payment date?

Maybe they can have all guests prepay if the ship does not cruise out of Florida? I know the Attorney General of Florida made them change pricing policies in the past and forced them to include anything other than taxes in the advertised price of the cruise. Taxes have to go to some governmental or quasi-governmental authority.

One more reason to avoid DD.

Pre-paying gratuities is a service charge, it's not a gratuity. I don't like pre-paid gratuities because there really is no good reason for it. They already charge you daily for gratuities, why is 60-75 days ahead of time better? Do you get your gratuities refunded if you cancel your cruise after final payment?

Then to have the nerve to increase the gratuity. It wasn't too long ago the suggested gratuity was $7, now it's $12. If they increase it to $14 that's a 100% increase in a very short time.

I don't like it, not one bit. I pay cash but those people that have put their trip on a credit card will be paying additional interest on those gratuities for two months.

I will certainly voice my opinion to the management staff in April.

Maybe they can have all guests prepay if the ship does not cruise out of Florida? I know the Attorney General of Florida made them change pricing policies in the past and forced them to include anything other than taxes in the advertised price of the cruise. Taxes have to go to some governmental or quasi-governmental authority.

I think by offering this new "Classic" option they've found a way to neatly make it so that they CAN charge all DD guests upfront. I imagine they severely limit the number of "classic" reservation spots and push most into DD. There is always the technicality that the charge could be reversed (reality and technicality may not jive). Until they get their hand slapped they will likely push it as far as they can. We will see.

Guest maddycat
The problem I see is that a lot of people have OBC that they want to cover gratuities. I guess if they sail on a ship that has DD, they will no longer be able to use the OBC to cover tips.

Exactly. That's why we don't like pre-paid gratuities. We like to use our OBC to pay the gratuities.

Do you get your gratuities refunded if you cancel your cruise after final payment?

Yes.

I pay cash but those people that have put their trip on a credit card will be paying additional interest on those gratuities for two months.

To be fair, only if they carry a balance on an interest bearing card.

I will certainly voice my opinion to the management staff in April.

You absolutely should!

My travel agent said the company gets millions of dollars up front to do what they wish with before it goes to the employees. Also Royal wants to get away from letting guests use OBC on tips as it is the most costly use of OBC to the company. They would rather you use it on things like excursions or in the shops.

We'll sail on Celebrity. Same company but better perks and they treat people a little nicer, not like breathing account numbers.

Exactly Lovey, it's called playing the float - they can earn money on those pre-paid grats up until the time they have to start doling it out to the crew.

I think by offering this new "Classic" option they've found a way to neatly make it so that they CAN charge all DD guests upfront. I imagine they severely limit the number of "classic" reservation spots and push most into DD. There is always the technicality that the charge could be reversed (reality and technicality may not jive). Until they get their hand slapped they will likely push it as far as they can. We will see.

Good point, I had forgetten about the Classic option.

Exactly Lovey, it's called playing the float - they can earn money on those pre-paid grats up until the time they have to start doling it out to the crew.

At today's interest rates, the value of this float is minimal. Short term interest rates are near zero. They only have the money for 75 days. Run the numbers.

At today's interest rates, the value of this float is minimal. Short term interest rates are near zero. They only have the money for 75 days. Run the numbers.

They have the money more than 75 days. Final payment is due 75-90 days before the cruise starts. Then you have the time on the cruise. Then who knows how long until they distribute the money for that particular cruise? one week? two weeks? three weeks?

I am going to conservatively estimate they have the money for closer to 100 days. Even with interest rates being low they still have the money in their hands and they can bucket it to operations, or even bucket it to capital if Wall Street sees it better that way. Besides, what is better for a business; earn something or earn nothing? You are being far too dismissive of the amounts of money at play here and the financial tools available for big corporations to make money off of money. If they can use those millions for purchase ahead contracts to buy items in larger bulk at larger savings they are even further ahead.

Collecting the money months ahead of time has exactly zero to do with the crew and everything to do with cash flow for the company. To believe otherwise is exceptionally naive.