Adios San Diego

DAllenTCY

Looking ahead for early 2016, there are just 3 HAL sailings. Sunday, January 3rd "Veendam" to Tampa, Tuesday, March 15th "Maasdam" to FLL, and Saturday, April 2nd "Westerdam" to the South Pacific. There will be a few repositioning cruises to the Pacific Northwest in May, also.

David

So what do they want us to do? Quit cruising on HAL? We already had very little choice without flying to the East coast.

As much as I thought I'd never do this, I am trying NCL and Carnival out of Houston and Galveston. I refuse to cruise out of east coast, so HAL is forcing me to try other cruise lines.

Looking ahead for early 2016, there are just 3 HAL sailings. Sunday, January 3rd "Veendam" to Tampa, Tuesday, March 15th "Maasdam" to FLL, and Saturday, April 2nd "Westerdam" to the South Pacific. There will be a few repositioning cruises to the Pacific Northwest in May, also.

David

Bummer. :(:mad: But I knew (from CC) that this day was coming.

Don't we all think of ourselves and our comfort/convenience to varying degrees?

I do. I love when I can board a ship in Boston. :)

HAL is looking at the issue of where they can move many thousands of people, and make a profit.

The good of the many outweighs the good of the few.

On the other hand, are we sure that all of the schedule is out and finalized? Are we in some sort of transition as Statendam and Ryndam leave the fleet, and Koningsdam joins the schedule?

God I hope not. I don't know why they don't want to cruise out of here. I think it is a great port and a great tourist stop. It is close for many on the west coast. the Mexican cruises always fill up.

I am guessing you have missed the comments on this board, and the West Coast Departures board about ICE issues, city issues, longshoreman issues. Cruise line employees have said San Diego is a major PITA. But I agree, it is a wonderful city.

I am guessing you have missed the comments on this board, and the West Coast Departures board about ICE issues, city issues, longshoreman issues. Cruise line employees have said San Diego is a major PITA. But I agree, it is a wonderful city.

Along with an old/outdated airport with ?one runway! Been there, done that (and have no desire to return in the future, thank you very much)! :rolleyes:

San Diego is such a beautiful city to visit and a very pleasant place to spend a few days pre cruise. It also offers a spectacular sailaway experience.

The downside lies in the disembarkation and layover experience. U S immigration is a nightmare. They never have their act in gear. I have been through the experience three times and am "looking forward" to a fourth experience next year.

I have learned not to book any kind of excursion on turnaround day nor to make any time sensitive plans as everything inevitably gets cut short. We will enjoy the city for two days pre cruise and just plan for a walkabout and late lunch on stopover day.

Those disembarking with morning flights booked often have their plans scuttled.

This is not HAL's fault. There are just not enough officers sent to clear the ship quickly and nobody disembarks until all non US citizens have been seen by immigration onboard.

When the cruise is continuing up to Vancouver there will be a large Canadian contingent onboard. When we did the Panama repo last year there were over 800 Canadians plus several hundred Brits and Aussies. It was going on ten AM before the ship was cleared. The first time we were through San Diego it was almost eleven AM.

While my experiences are admittedly limited they are in line with what I have read throughout the years on CC.

I figured something was going to have to give with at least the temporary drop in the HAL fleet. Of course it had to be one of the few ports and itinerary choices we still had on our limited HAL bucket list. :( No doubt that the airport in San Diego is a challenge, has been for what seems like eons. My ex was a San Diego "native" and we were married at a Navy chapel on Mission Bay over 30 years ago. The airport was a major issue back then and probably before then. Lots of discussion, long range plans, alternatives, etc., etc., over all those years but no solutions that have ever gained traction. Seems the easy answer has always been a new airport out in the county somewhere but nobody wants it in their area. :D

Edited by Randyk47

We are doing a cruise next March that ends in San Diego. I'm glad, after reading many comments about embarkation, that we will not be catching a plane. We are going to stay in the city for a few days then rent a car and drive up to Seattle. IF I were flying out, based again on all your comments, I would make it a late evening flight. On another note, those of us up North have to fly wherever so that is not a consideration for which port we use. Right now I just want temps above zero.

Edited by dixiefinn

I have to laugh at some of the comments on here. Like the one about moving where they can make money. Why does hal give away so many Caribbean cruises? For sure, San Diego is a pita, but Fort Lauderdale is a pain as well. The airport is also a hot mess. You don't dare take a flight out of there on a Saturday or Sunday.

We've been cruising for over 30 years and have sailed to all seven continents with HAL. San Diego stands out as our worst boarding experience - ever. We have looked at cruises but because of the San Diego embarkation, have decided to pass.

A while ago I saw a thread on the Princess forum about a new cruise port being built someplace at the north end of the Sea of Cortez. IIRC, HAL and (maybe?) Carnival were going to sail from there in addition to Princess. Even though it would involve transfers from airports in Arizona we'd rather try that than San Diego.

God I hope not. I don't know why they don't want to cruise out of here. I think it is a great port and a great tourist stop. It is close for many on the west coast. the Mexican cruises always fill up.

It is no longer good for West coast Canadians as there are no direct flights from Vancouver to San Diego. Now it takes pretty much all day to get there either via San Fransisco or LA. Stinks and I'm not willing to do it.:(

Edited by solocanadian

Cruises out of Ensenada have already been tried and abandoned. The border crossings back into the USA can take a very long time, and the whole busing experience is quite a hassle.

igraf

A while ago I saw a thread on the Princess forum about a new cruise port being built someplace at the north end of the Sea of Cortez. IIRC, HAL and (maybe?) Carnival were going to sail from there in addition to Princess. Even though it would involve transfers from airports in Arizona we'd rather try that than San Diego.

What city issues? The city has no jurisdiction over the port or immigration.

igraf

We had no issues in San Diego on our January 20 to February 7 Hawaii cruise. We were on the ship before noon and off at our scheduled time.

I did not know about the worker slowdown on the dock, but witnessed it. The forklift drivers were being ridiculous. I saw a man move two orange cones that were not in anyone's way into the way of another driver who had to get off his truck to move them. Then he had a deliveryman move his truck three feet forward, as if that made any difference to anything. They were constantly setting down loads in one place only to come back and move the load a few inches at another time. Thankfully, I missed watching them unload our luggage.

Just got off the phone with Mariners. We live in San Diego and and love cruising out of here. Explained comments from CC to them and said they know for a fact that San Diego is their major hub to HAL and they are using San Diego port. They put me on hold to do research and to find out if for a fact HAL was going to be dropping San Diego. Well guess what the Mariner Society got back on and said to me that no they are still not finished with 2016 and that it upper management said we are not even finished with our 2016 schedule. Also said that inca empire cruises, 10 day Mexican Riviera cruises, South Pacific, and Asia, and New Zealand, Sydney cruises will all go out of both Vancover and San Diego.

Sailing on B2B Western/Eastern Carribean Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 3/15/2015

Becoming 4 STAR MARINER