"Chair Hogs"? Just Find a White Uniform :)

monicakm

I wonder if I'll ever mature enough to be able to not care when I see arrogant people doing what they want to, despite the rules of civility.

I have friends who don't care what others do, and I think they have fewer frown lines and aching jaws from grinding their teeth. Someday maybe I'll achieve that blessed state, but so far, I'm nowhere near it.

Fie on CHogs everywhere, I say!

I am very sorry to read how your reasonable actions turned nasty especially as I would have done the same.

My DW ,who is non confrontational (except with me ;)) always warns me about provoking crazies .

And yet it is hard for me to live life making sure to never act in a way that could possibly set them off.

The worst part of your story is the inaction and negligence of "Ed" . Terrible !

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that nothing worse happened. "Ed's" statement that he would go up and talk to them was made for my consumption, difficult to identify them from my description. I saw them again in passing on the last day of our cruise and they gave me "the look" (irrelevant to me) but fortunately were not confrontational.

Someone else posted like you, that it was Ed's job to take action, and someone else said that Ed did the right thing, just following Princess orders. The following orders argument is used a lot, not sure I buy it here. On a good note I was on the Royal again in January (not our favorite ship but we liked the itinerary) and I am glad to report that there were less chair hugs, did not have to struggle to get a lounger and did not see any confrontations. It was cooler so the weather probably helped.

Edited by bluesea321

• 1 year later...

For the record, I've never used, nor wanted, a chair. Being hypersensitive to glare, and skin cancer, dissuades me. Still, these people sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) provide more entertainment than pier runners.

Occasion 1: A towel went past me from behind as two women in their 50's got into it.

My favorite :, two girls about 19-20 start screaming and then sandals, etc. start flying over the railing. I was supposed to meet my wife for lunch but stayed to see the end of that one.

Boy, I have to worry about chogs and chair vigilantes on the cruise? So sad! I guess if I am swimming, I have to leave a note? But, like at any other time swimming, I will have to keep an eye on my towel and belongings from the water! ...assuming I can get a chair near the pool in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by kunoichi

Favorite chair strategy. If we see a chair (that we want) unused for more then an hour we will sometimes gather up all the belongings on the chair and give it to one of pool staff and simply tell them "we think somebody forgot this stuff." We once did this on a cruise in mid-morning and stayed on those chairs all day (DW and I are sun worshipers). In mid-afternoon the folks (who had left their stuff on the chairs) finally showed-up and told us we "were in their chairs." I simply explained that we had been on those chairs for more then 4 hours (as the folks in the neighboring chairs started to laugh). The "chair savers" then wanted to know what happened to their "stuff" and we suggested they check with "Lost and Found."

Hank

My husband and I are very early risers so we don't have an issue with finding a chair, but I think that the above story is by far the best way to handle chairs that have been vacated for 30 minutes or more.

Boy, I have to worry about chogs and chair vigilantes on the cruise? So sad! I guess if I am swimming, I have to leave a note?

Well, actually, this would be a sensible, polite, civilized thing to do. Imagine how much angst would evaporate if a note were left on a lounge chair that said:

"I have not abandoned this chair and I am not "reserving" it. I am away from the chair because I am in the pool swimming. I am wearing a ______ bathing suit. You can wave to me if you like. If you cannot find me and this chair remains unoccupied for 30 consecutive minutes, please feel free to set my things off to the side near this chair so that I can find them. Have a nice day."

Even if one is using the pool extensively, it is hard to imagine a scenario whereby the chairholder cannot return to the chair once every 30 minutes to demonstrate their intention of continuing to use the chair. In reality, few people actually remain in the water for a half an hour. Unless they are doing laps, at which point they really don't need a lounge chair. The more common scenario is for people to take a dip in the pool, maybe stay in the water for 10-15 minutes, and then return to their chair. At which point a polite note left on the chair would be a brilliant idea. Simply put, if one is really going to hang out in the pool for more than 30 minutes, then that person really doesn't need a lounge chair. One can relax in the pool or relax in a chair. But both cannot be done simultaneously.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Well, actually, this would be a sensible, polite, civilized thing to do. Imagine how much angst would evaporate if a note were left on a lounge chair that said:

"I have not abandoned this chair and I am not "reserving" it. I am away from the chair because I am in the pool swimming. I am wearing a ______ bathing suit. You can wave to me if you like. If you cannot find me and this chair remains unoccupied for 30 consecutive minutes, please feel free to set my things off to the side near this chair so that I can find them. Have a nice day."

I may not be quite so verbose, but I will try to remember to leave a nice note similar to that. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WOW! Hot topic.

You must really be careful with this. I was swimming in the pool once and when I got back to my lounge, dripping wet to get my towel and sit down, someone had the pool attendant take my stuff and was sitting in my chair!

I feel like I need a sign for my lounge. "Gone to the pool, be back soon".

Caribil...made me laugh out loud!

I'm not a huge pool or lay around the pool person, but this has always been my worry. Do you need to take a timer into the pool with you and come out and lay down for a specified amount of time every 30 minutes?

To me, the loungers should be first and foremost for the people using the pool and I would much prefer that they go to the restroom away from the pool area and NOT lose their lounger, than go into to the pool to go to the bathroom so that they can keep the lounger.

I wish everyone could be respectful and if you are mainly at the pool, but have to walk away for a few minutes, your chair and stuff should be left alone. No one should walk away from the pool area for long periods of time with their stuff still there. If they are in the pool, that is a whole different story. They should be able to leave their stuff on the chair for as long as they are at or in the pool.

If you plan to be IN the pool most of the time, you don't need a chair...just stash your stuff out of the way. If there are several of you, use 1 chair to hold all of your stuff.

If you are looking for loungers, and all appear to be "taken", ask the folks sitting nearby if anyone is USING the loungers...they will know! If they say they haven't seen anyone there, feel free to sit down.

It's usually quite obvious if someone is "chogging" or actually using the chair and is in the pool or restroom!

And, unless you MUST be right beside the pool, there are usually chairs on the deck above...and it's quieter and less crowded there, anyway!

THIS post is almost 2 years old...................let it go to sleep.

I absolutely agree its snooze time!!!:) but just before I go, I always pick a chair that I like and if it has anything on it I just take it off and put it on another reserved chair. I know that it is very rude, but the so are they. Problem solved

Seen to many physical altercations over chairs to get confrontative....but I am on a cruise to have fun and not be a chair or tux cop.....:eek:

I agree....it is amazing how people become demonic when it comes to Chair Hogs....we do not confront but always find chairs somewhere....sometimes I think Princess people like "cruising for a bruising" because they find fault with almost everything and everybody!!! :rolleyes:

I think whether you move chair hog items that have "expired" past the allowable time, or have a staffer do it, that many chair hogs know they are wrong- they are just rolling the dice, counting on not being challenged on their ill deeds, and will not confront once they are burned... going the "Oh well, I tried" route. Of course, there are also a few cranky ones- but you have the rules on your side.