"Chair Hogs"? Just Find a White Uniform :)

monicakm

I think that was the term I read here about people on board the ship that save chairs out around the pool and other places. We went down to the MUTS screen to watch the Superbowl on Feb 1 on the Emerald. It wasn't even half full of people yet but absolutely NO chairs available! They all had towels or hats or shoes, etc on them. We looked on both decks. I finally crossed paths with a dashing young-ish man wearing a white uniform and looking super confident so I asked him if there was anything we could do about all the "saved" chairs. He asked me to show him. We went back to the pool area. He picked out two favorably located (saved) chairs and asked if these were ok. I was a little shocked at how unabashed he was about ripping the belongings off the the chairs but said yes, thank you, these were fine. No one ever came to claim the chairs or the items that were on them. We noticed he was removing items from other chairs too and DID see some people come back to find someone in them. No altercations. A couple of days later there was a notice in the Patter about saving chairs.

Kudos to the crew member for removing the personal items/towels from the "saved" chairs. I have had problems finding a lounger in the past and just watched a group of empty ones to see if anyone came back. I then moved the towels (no personal items) to another lounger and took it. I have never had anyone come back looking for their "saved" lounger.

One of these days I am going to go to the Lido deck early in the morning and move towels around for "saved" loungers and watch what happens. :D

While on the Island I was sitting next to a chairhogs shade chairs . A gentleman from Holland sat down along with his friends , we chatted. When the chairhog came back he and his friends began to speak Dutch and ignored her. After she walked away in a huff he turned to me and said in perfect English, Works everytime .

I think that was the term I read here about people on board the ship that save chairs out around the pool and other places. We went down to the MUTS screen to watch the Superbowl on Feb 1 on the Emerald. It wasn't even half full of people yet but absolutely NO chairs available! They all had towels or hats or shoes, etc on them. We looked on both decks. I finally crossed paths with a dashing young-ish man wearing a white uniform and looking super confident so I asked him if there was anything we could do about all the "saved" chairs. He asked me to show him. We went back to the pool area. He picked out two favorably located (saved) chairs and asked if these were ok. I was a little shocked at how unabashed he was about ripping the belongings off the the chairs but said yes, thank you, these were fine. No one ever came to claim the chairs or the items that were on them. We noticed he was removing items from other chairs too and DID see some people come back to find someone in them. No altercations. A couple of days later there was a notice in the Patter about saving chairs.

Great that the staff helped you out in tackling the chair hog issue. It would be great if what you experienced was regularly and universally enforced fleet wide.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I think the OP posted in the wrong thread. Come on...... a Princess employee actually enforcing the rules. This can't be!!!

Congrats to that employee. He deserves a raise!!!!!!

Good point.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

While on the Island I was sitting next to a chairhogs shade chairs . A gentleman from Holland sat down along with his friends , we chatted. When the chairhog came back he and his friends began to speak Dutch and ignored her. After she walked away in a huff he turned to me and said in perfect English, Works everytime .

Love it.

I don't know what's wrong with some people! I would never hog a chair like that! The only way I would save a seat is if I was getting up to get a drink,etc. Hubby and I had to go a little early and sit in our chairs before movies because it was impossible to get seating closer to the movie but never, ever would I leave a towel and take off for hours! Not nice!

Even tho I knew it was against policy, I'm just not bold enough to move people's belongings (or even the towels). But, because I knew it was against policy (thanks to Cruise Critic) I was bold enough to ask a crew member if he could help :) He had nooooo problem clearing out chairs! :D

Great to hear!

The BELLS on some folks to hog a chair just steams my clams. Like I get an OMG I forgot X in the cabin and you scoot there and back at a leisurely pace, or even getting a generous helping of victuals, but once the 20-30 min mark has been eclipsed the spot is officially relinquished.

Move their stuff onto the deck right next to where you are and if that someone gives you static you can either be all "this was open when I got here and the stuff was on the deck" or be all "shut your hole, you were gone for longer than 30 mins". Whichever best fits your personality.

Favorite chair strategy. If we see a chair (that we want) unused for more then an hour we will sometimes gather up all the belongings on the chair and give it to one of pool staff and simply tell them "we think somebody forgot this stuff." We once did this on a cruise in mid-morning and stayed on those chairs all day (DW and I are sun worshipers). In mid-afternoon the folks (who had left their stuff on the chairs) finally showed-up and told us we "were in their chairs." I simply explained that we had been on those chairs for more then 4 hours (as the folks in the neighboring chairs started to laugh). The "chair savers" then wanted to know what happened to their "stuff" and we suggested they check with "Lost and Found."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Removing towels from empty chairs can turn out OK or not OK depending on the people involved. A "white uniform" does not help if the people are not reasonable. Please take a look at the post below which I made in March 2014 after an incident on the Royal. It was not worth the trouble or the aggravation. "Ed" (Head of Security) did not want the trouble or aggravation either and Princess prefers to take little or no action.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42230477#post42230477

Really makes me wish I was bilingual! Chogs can get physical, though, I've seen a couple of push and shove matches take place.

Shame we have to look out for a staff member in a white coat. For one, I would never touch another person's belongings.Some passengers are just downright inconsiderate.

Yes it is darn right inconsiderate to hog a chair/lounger for hours with stuff left there when people are walking around waiting for a place to sit and try to enjoy their vacation too. If they feel it's their right it save THEIR spot then someone from their group better stay there to save them. As the OP stated a reasonable amount of time should be given if they went to their room, bathroom or grab something to eat. But hours to half a day is crazy. I for one do my best to consider what I do effects others and would never leave my chair unattended unless I am coming back immediately. But that's me and probably most of our fellow cruisers.

Edited by szubieta

Should you have to leave your lounger for 30 minutes or so to visit the restroom,go to your stateroom,grab a breakfist biscuit or have lunch I think it is totally acceptable to leave a towel or flip flop at your lounger while away until you return.

It's the "abusers" who leave a towel on a lounger and never return!

Removing towels from empty chairs can turn out OK or not OK depending on the people involved. A "white uniform" does not help if the people are not reasonable. Please take a look at the post below which I made in March 2014 after an incident on the Royal. It was not worth the trouble or the aggravation. "Ed" (Head of Security) did not want the trouble or aggravation either and Princess prefers to take little or no action.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42230477#post42230477

Thats what Princess wants.....

I don't blame him.