Do you have strange cruise panic dreams pre-cruise?

jules815

I always get cruise anxiety dreams even after 35 cruises. The usual stuff, you know, missing the ship, lost luggage and such. Last week I got to live one of those dreams almost. SW cancelled so many of our flights at the airport that we ended up taking a USAir flight. Our luggage (and friends luggage too) went to FLL via SW and we all took another airline just to get there. When we finally arrived at FLL, our luggage was not there. We went to our hotel with no luggage.

We have good friends that drove to port and were able to shop for us for some basics, socks, underwear and shorts, etc. The next day after hours of waiting at the airport our luggage showed up in FLL and we were spared the completion of one of my frequent pre-cruise nightmares.

To avert the nightmares next time. . . will most def do travel insurance and pack smarter. Meds, extra clothes in carry on and never ever cruise in the winter again. :( Also, make friends with RCCruisers. . . they'll shop for you! :D

Am I the only one that dreams my ship has engine problems so we can't get back home in time so we get more sea days? Or that I went around and changed all the days in the floors of the elevator back 2 days and it confuses the crew.

(1) Got to the port and realized our passports were home on the kitchen table. Had to try catching a flight home to retrieve them and my daughters crying as I left to try to get them.

(2) They upgraded us at the pier and we tried to tell them we didn't want the upgrade. When we got to our cabin, the toilet was in the middle of the cabin, just sitting there.

(3) My cheap son-in-law refused to pay $6 for a ferry to get us back to the ship at one of the ports. He had rented a leaky boat for him, my daughter and grandson..and the boat was already covered in smoke. I said I'd take my chances with the leaky boat and my daughter was crying saying I couldn't go with them because I wasn't a strong enough swimmer.

(4) Forgot all my underwear and they didn't sell any so I had to go commando for the entire cruise.

(5) Hotel lost our reservation. All hotels were full and we slept on the pier on the sidewalk waiting on the ship to arrive.

Not a nightmare, but one of the best dreams I ever had was cruise-related. I dreamed we were on a ship that was sailing through a channel filled with beautiful islands, and every island had a castle on it. Then we got to the port town and the ship drove right up into the middle of town to let us off for excursions. I always hoped I would go back there….

Also, a true 'forgot the underwear' story: We flew to Hong Kong for a cruise and my DH really did forget to bring his underwear. So we went to the night market and he found some, but he thought he was supposed to bargain so he offered the lady less than the quoted price and she got really mad at us and grabbed the package back and wouldn't even look at us :-)

Ohiocruiser, the picture on the Passport dream reminded me of a true incident a year ago during a Coastal Cruise, I had been having trouble with my Sea Pass Card and was on my 3rd one when we arrived in Astoria, as we were disembarking for a Tour, I was stopped. Looking over at the Booth, I could see my photo and some man's. The man remarked, seeing mine wondering who the other guy was.:D I had to explain the Photo when getting back on and immediately went back to Guest Relations for my 4th and final card.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Ohiocruiser, the picture on the Passport dream reminded me of a true incident a year ago during a Coastal Cruise, I had been having trouble with my Sea Pass Card and was on my 3rd one when we arrived in Astoria, as we were disembarking for a Tour, I was stopped. Looking over at the Booth, I could see my photo and some man's. The man remarked, seeing mine wondering who the other guy was.:D I had to explain the Photo when getting back on and immediately went back to Guest Relations for my 4th and final card.

Had a similar incident last year on Indy. DW and my reservations were mixed up with another couple. I think I had to get at lest 3 new cards and it never really got fully fixed. Every time we tried to look at our photos in the photo kiosk it would show the other couple. We finally ran into the couple in the promenade one day. They had a worse time than we did because somehow about $2500 in bar tab showed up on their account. It wasn't from us because we don't drink. What a mess that was.

(1) Got to the port and realized our passports were home on the kitchen table. Had to try catching a flight home to retrieve them and my daughters crying as I left to try to get them.

(2) They upgraded us at the pier and we tried to tell them we didn't want the upgrade. When we got to our cabin, the toilet was in the middle of the cabin, just sitting there.

(3) My cheap son-in-law refused to pay $6 for a ferry to get us back to the ship at one of the ports. He had rented a leaky boat for him, my daughter and grandson..and the boat was already covered in smoke. I said I'd take my chances with the leaky boat and my daughter was crying saying I couldn't go with them because I wasn't a strong enough swimmer.

(4) Forgot all my underwear and they didn't sell any so I had to go commando for the entire cruise.

(5) Hotel lost our reservation. All hotels were full and we slept on the pier on the sidewalk waiting on the ship to arrive.

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Thanks to all for sharing. Maybe I'll have one to share in the next month!

Never had one of those anxiety dreams. My pre-cruise dreams are about the three B's; Beaches, Bikini's and Bloody Mary's.:D

Is it just dreams or are you guys fidgety in the days leading up too your cruises too?

Never had one of those anxiety dreams. My pre-cruise dreams are about the three B's; Beaches, Bikini's and Bloody Mary's.:D

Is it just dreams or are you guys fidgety in the days leading up too your cruises too?

Fidgety. Oh, so fidgety. :eek: Thank god for packinglists, and schedulemaking! :p

Fidgety. Oh, so fidgety. :eek: Thank god for packinglists, and schedulemaking! :p

Hmmmm, so fidgety? And from Sweden too.:confused:

My Gastroenterologist is from Sweden also and he's going on a cruise the day after my procedure.:( Your name isn't Dr. Borgstrom is it?

;)

Every time I'm suppose to go on a cruise, I constantly get nightmares that I'm on my ship, only to see it looking all dirty, run-down, and derelict. Or it doesn't look right: like my office building, a prison, or a hospital, instead of like a normal cruise ship. I'd be wandering around, only to find oil slicks, broken railings, torn-up carpeting, garbage, graffiti on the walls, and smashed windows everywhere. Passageways twist and turn onto themselves, doors are so narrow that I have to through them sideways, it's very dark, and light switches don't work. I woke up in panic every time.

Imagine my reaction, when I got on the ship, went to the lido deck, and saw this: :eek:

7330015186_784c6b2223_n.jpg

Hmmmm, so fidgety? And from Sweden too.:confused:

My Gastroenterologist is from Sweden also and he's going on a cruise the day after my procedure.:( Your name isn't Dr. Borgstrom is it?

;)

Haha, I wish I was a doctor (it pays better than my current job). But unfortunately, no. ;)

Good luck with your procedure though, I'm sure his hands won't be as shaky as mine. :)

Edited by Hardrocknerd

I had my first two dreams about my upcoming cruise last night. They were not stressful ones - I was just walking around the ship getting acquainted. One weird part was that I thought we were at sea but went out on the back deck and was standing on the duck tail which you could walk off of onto a sandy beach.

One of my recurring travel dreams is that I am packing but I have so much stuff that I can't get everything packed in the time I have.

I also have what I call my "I forgot" dreams. I have arrived wherever I am going and have forgotten something important. I then tell my dream self thank goodness it is only a dream. When I wake up I write myself a reminder not to forget that item!

I honestly thought I was the only one in the world that dreamed about things like this. I have dreamed that the ship is going through an extremely narrow passage and I can't figure out how we can be in the water because it's more like a stream.

I've also dreamed that I'm hanging off the back of the ship with no railing or anything.....also, that the ship is speeding really fast.

Also, that I had to go into a small European town nowhere near the ship to check in and I missed the boat.

I don't currently have a cruise booked but I was pricing out several options to Alaska yesterday.

A little background, I tend to be very introverted and find small talk with strangers uncomfortable, so we usually go with my time dining with a table for 2.

Last night I dreamed we were on a cruise sailing through Alaska on our balcony, but we had to share a balcony with another couple. That was painful enough for me, but for some reason, there was dancing and disco type lights on our little balcony and this other couple kept dancing instead of looking at the view lol

Then the woman started showing me pictures of her family, except they weren't of her family. The first one was of Cher's record album where she's in her cherokee outfit lol The real mystery is how I remembered that album cover since I was very little when it came out in the 70s and I've never been a big fan or even owned any of her albums. And why oh why was Cher in my dream of our cruise?

I figured I wasn't the only one. :D It's usually things like forgetting something important - passports, meds, etc. or not getting up in time to make our flight to the port.

My grandmother used to tell me about always dreaming about missing a train, boat, plane, etc. Really funny considering she was probably the most prompt and on-time person on the planet.

Oh my gosh this thread is making me laugh.

I only wish I had some of these "funnier" dreams.

I get extreme anxiety months before cruising, which only seem to get worse the closer we get.

However...my dreams are always on the "scary" side and usually involves my child, who is a daredevil and does everything we do...including snorkeling since age 3, zip lining by herself at age 3, swimming with the sharks, jumping off 2 story buildings into the ocean...the list goes on forever. Whatever we do, she does it just as if she was an adult.

I dream that we are snorkeling and she is pulled out to sea and I can't reach her or goes under really quickly and a shark has grabbed her. She falls off a cliff/rock into the ocean. She goes over the railing on the balcony. She falls in the pool and we can't find her.

So many weird and frightening dreams. She's 6 now and has been cruising with us since she was 3 doing about 2-3 cruises a year. She's very well behaved and I watch her like a hawk and I'm very over protective of her because she's my "baby" (my other 3 children are all adults ages 20-28), which is weird why I dream these things.

I always wake up saying we are going to take it a little easier next cruise and not do as many "active" things involving animals, water or something that be considered slightly dangerous because they are just too risky...only to do just the opposite of course. :rolleyes:

(I do have to say prior to cruising and when my older children were young, I use to have the same type of nightmares...but only involving our inground pool...yes, there were sharks in that pool too. :eek: :D

My cruise dreams usually involve being "lost" on the ship in some way - trying to find the right place for some event or even dinner, and knowing what deck I need to be on, but invariably going the wrong way, running into blind corners, going up the stairs when I should go down and vice versa.:

This is the dream that comes true on most of my cruises. It takes me at least 2 days to learn my way around.

This is the dream that comes true on most of my cruises. It takes me at least 2 days to learn my way around.

I would say you are doing pretty good then. I'm usually starting to get the hang of things the day before we get off the ship. :eek: I call my husband my navigation system because he always seems to know where he's going and which direction to head. :D