Oceania lied to passengers about discount

jgoldchain

We were on the Caribbean cruise of December 4, 2014 that ended with an onboard fire and death of 3 people. We were subsequently interviewed on National TV, National News Radio and Newspapers about our ordeal. While in the warehouse in Saint Lucia we were given a document signed by the Vice President of Oceania that stated "we would get a 50% future cruise credit". When we got to the hotel in Miami, I asked one of Oceania's representatives what the terms of the discount were and were told that we would get 50% off what ever the price of the future cruise was even if it was a discounted price. We are now told that the discount is 50% of what we paid for the ill-fated one. This is not what we were told or what the document stated in the document. OCEANIA LIED TO US!!!!!

We were on the Caribbean cruise of December 4, 2014 that ended with an onboard fire and death of 3 people. We were subsequently interviewed on National TV, National News Radio and Newspapers about our ordeal. While in the warehouse in Saint Lucia we were given a document signed by the Vice President of Oceania that stated "we would get a 50% future cruise credit". When we got to the hotel in Miami, I asked one of Oceania's representatives what the terms of the discount were and were told that we would get 50% off what ever the price of the future cruise was even if it was a discounted price. We are now told that the discount is 50% of what we paid for the ill-fated one. This is not what we were told or what the document stated in the document. OCEANIA LIED TO US!!!!!

So hopefully you still have the document you are referring to? (read between the lines here)

Maybe not relevant, but I think it is: we were on an ill fated cruise from Sydney to Singapore on RSSC Voyager. An entertainer died and weather forced cancellation of three ports. After a near mutiny Regent promised every one a 50% discount of the fare FOR THAT VOYAGE as a credit towards a future cruise. We thought that was more than fair. I realize we completed the trip and you did not--but I'm not surprised by their offer, especially since they are sister companies.

I seem to remember someone posted the letter & it was 50% off of the fare you paid for that cruise went towards a future cruise

It may be on the thread about the fire or in the roll call area

In all that was happening at the time with emergency evacuation and arrangements it seems to me the Rep misspoke, the Rep was told wrongly by someone else, the Rep was not in a position of authority to give you that, you misheard or interpreted or recall it this way, etc.

Whatever is in writing is what matters.

Personally if I had heard such an offer I would question it.

"what ever the price of the future cruise was ...". So ANY cruise is half off? 50% off an open-ended amount? Take world cruise and save $50,000? Compared with the full price paid on your sailing? Now that would indeed be an offer I couldn't refuse.

If that 50% off any cruise is in a document form O, I'd call my TA, pack bag and prepare for a loooong voyage.

I can understand your disappointment that you do not get that 'offer' but I don't think it is realistic compensation

To OP,

It doesn't sound quite right to me. Imagine getting 50% off a 180 day world cruise. That would be probably many times what you paid for your entire cruise.

Cheapest inside cabin on the Jan 2016 cruise is $40,000 - that would be $20,000 off for each passengers (double that for the cheapest PH). Doesn't seem likely or reasonable.

However, I am just thinking out loud here - do not have your documents to see the facts. If you DO have those documents, by all means, enforce the rules to your best advantage.

(Apparently cross posting with YoHoHo - great minds.....:D)

Edited by Paulchili

We were also on this cruise and I have the letter in front of me.

I must agree the letter is slightly misleading. This is the statement:

In recognition of your shortened cruise, we are providing you with a full refund of the total fare paid, as well as a 50 per cent future cruise credit.

The full refund was for the cruise portion only and did not include flights even if booked as a complete package.

It is clear that Oceania could not offer 50% off any cruise in any stateroom, otherwise we would have all booked a world cruise in an owners suite!!!!! They based the future CRUISE CREDIT on the amount paid for the shortened cruise.

Most of us took the letter at face value when it was handed to us at the port but we guessed it might not be quite as straight forward as it first seemed.

We used our credit on a future cruise which was already heavily discounted and we are very satisfied with that.

I don't think Oceania lied to us but the terms of the compensation offered could have been made clearer in the letter to save any misunderstanding. Maybe they were trying to avoid any further aggravation at an already difficult time!

We were also on this cruise and I have the letter in front of me.

I must agree the letter is slightly misleading. This is the statement:

In recognition of your shortened cruise, we are providing you with a full refund of the total fare paid, as well as a 50 per cent future cruise credit.

The full refund was for the cruise portion only and did not include flights even if booked as a complete package.

It is clear that Oceania could not offer 50% off any cruise in any stateroom, otherwise we would have all booked a world cruise in an owners suite!!!!! They based the future CRUISE CREDIT on the amount paid for the shortened cruise.

Most of us took the letter at face value when it was handed to us at the port but we guessed it might not be quite as straight forward as it first seemed.

We used our credit on a future cruise which was already heavily discounted and we are very satisfied with that.

I don't think Oceania lied to us but the terms of the compensation offered could have been made clearer in the letter to save any misunderstanding. Maybe they were trying to avoid any further aggravation at an already difficult time!

Hi fellow Mondrian refugee!

I agree it wasn't clear in the letter...my guess is that it was rushed. We were handed those letters at the ferry terminal in St. Lucia on the same day, if I recall correctly. But, logically it would be based on the fare paid on the original cruise.

I still think back of what went on logistically that day and wonder how they pulled it off. Not only for us, but also the crew. All the arrangements of flights, hotels, crew work contracts, etc.,etc. ...Miami offices must have been all hands on deck at both Oceania and NCL.

With regards to our credit, shortly after our return our TA let us know she had it in her records. I thought I would sit on it a while, but it started burning a hole in my pocket and we booked another cruise within a few weeks.

I'm sorry to hear what you went through. That must have been a traumatic experience, to say the least. I saw your interview. I was struck by your comment that the crew left the ship before the passengers. Obviously I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, but that comment was surprising to me given all the other comments made by passengers on that cruise who veritably raved about how fabulous the crew was to them during and after the incident.

Saying that Oceania lied...that's a pretty strong statement to make. Before I even read the rest of the comments in this thread, it occurred to me that it seemed highly unlikely that they would promise a 50% reduction in price on ANY cruise you might want to take in the future. That would be an awfully big blank check for them to promise, with no way to plan for how much that might cost them in the future. Especially given that Oceania has some extremely expensive cruise options.

It seemed far more likely to me that the promise was, in fact, 50% of what you paid for the ill-fated cruise. I can't imagine any situation in which any cruise company would offer 50% off any cruise you might want to take, with no limit whatsoever.

Then I went on to read the rest of the comments, and it seems that I'm not the only person who thought this. Furthermore, the company has now apparently clarified what it meant, and some of your fellow passengers have already availed themselves of the credit.

Personally I disagree that Oceania lied. If anything, someone may have misspoken...or perhaps you simply misunderstood. Either way, you have a document that states what the offer was, and the company has now cleared up any ambiguity in the offer. Problem solved.

Best of luck in your future cruise planning, and I certainly hope your next one turns out better than your last one! :)

It seemed far more likely to me that the promise was, in fact, 50% of what you paid for the ill-fated cruise.

This, of course, is in addition to a full refund for the ill fated cruise itself. It seems like a very fair compensation to me for your misfortune that was not of anyone's making - just an unfortunate accident.

Adding to the previous comments, I think it is extreme to say that the cruise line lied.

It's very easy to say that someone "lied" to us. But in fact, that person may not have been aware of the nuances of his/her comment. Perhaps you BOTH misunderstood each other.

We've been sailing on Oceania since their inception and have never encountered an experience where someone out-and-out lied to us.

I also agree that it's unlikely you would have been told 50% off of ANY future cruise. The amount of the credit surely would have been based on what you had paid to begin with. I do think I have seen some posts here at CC to that effect.

I'm sorry you went through this experience! It wasn't as bad as the experience some other cruise lines have had (like Contra Costa or Carnival), and at least you were in port when it happened. Even so, it was NOT a fun day for you, and it certainly was an early end to an anticipated vacation. There were also a couple more days which definitely were uncomfortable and not fun at all.

I hope this won't sour the OP on future cruises -- whether on O or another line.

Mura

I'm sorry to hear what you went through. That must have been a traumatic experience, to say the least. I saw your interview. I was struck by your comment that the crew left the ship before the passengers. Obviously I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, but that comment was surprising to me given all the other comments made by passengers on that cruise who veritably raved about how fabulous the crew was to them during and after the incident.

Saying that Oceania lied...that's a pretty strong statement to make.

OP is the one who stated that the crew left before passengers? If that's the case, OP surely lives in a world of altered reality. There was only one way off that ship...through security.

Edited by buggins0402

If that's the case, OP surely lives in a world of altered reality.

Some might call that world - New York :D

Disclaimer - I lived there for many years and loved most of it.

Edited by Paulchili

OP is the one who stated that the crew left before passengers? If that's the case, OP surely lives in a world of altered reality. There was only one way off that ship...through security.

Where? Maybe missed it as I don't see that in their post. Just that try were LIED TO (their shouting).

If your are reffering to something the OP said in one of the interviews they referenced as credibility for their original post that they have been LIED TO then that may be a real concern and they should start a thread about how the crew responded during this emergency, in addition to this one where they report they were LIED TO and seem to want more money.

Not saying it did not happen but if true needs to be in its own thread and it would be a real concern indeed. I would be interested in a thread discussing the ship's response in an emergency. I personally know of a ship in in dry dock that caught fire. The workers on board ran off. The workers on the dock ran on to help. Who is right, who is wrong? Perhaps they both were. Detailed circumstances, human behavior, training, the realities of being there, sensibilities all play a part. I look forward to first hand reports and would be concerned about training and management if the crew did flee.

Edited by YoHoHo

Where? Maybe missed it as I don't see that in their post. Just that try were LIED TO (their shouting).

If your are reffering to something the OP said in one of the interviews they referenced as credibility for their original post that they have been LIED TO then that may be a real concern and they should start a thread about how the crew responded during this emergency, in addition to this one where they report they were LIED TO and seem to want more money.

Not saying it did not happen but if true needs to be in its own thread and it would be a real concern indeed. I would be interested in a thread discussing the ship's response in an emergency. I personally know of a ship in in dry dock that caught fire. The workers on board ran off. The workers on the dock ran on to help. Who is right, who is wrong? Perhaps they both were. Detailed circumstances, human behavior, training, the realities of being there, sensibilities all play a part. I look forward to first hand reports and would be concerned about training and management if the crew did flee.

Yes, it was in their interview. I mentioned it because I found it so startling, especially coupled with such a strong statement that Oceania lied to them.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/15/long-island-couple-recounts-fatal-fire-on-oceania-insignia/

News

Long Island Couple Recounts Fatal Fire On Oceania Insignia

December 15, 2014 2:49 PM

OCEANSIDE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) – A Long Island couple who were aboard the cruise ship that caught fire in the Caribbean last week are recounting the harrowing experience.

<snip>

“We were sitting down for breakfast and all of a sudden the lights went out,” Jerome Goldchain told 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera. “Then all the chefs came running out of the kitchen and ran off the ship. The crew left the ship before the passengers.”

Edited by Leejnd4

Hi fellow Mondrian refugee!

I agree it wasn't clear in the letter...my guess is that it was rushed. We were handed those letters at the ferry terminal in St. Lucia on the same day, if I recall correctly. But, logically it would be based on the fare paid on the original cruise.

I still think back of what went on logistically that day and wonder how they pulled it off. Not only for us, but also the crew. All the arrangements of flights, hotels, crew work contracts, etc.,etc. ...Miami offices must have been all hands on deck at both Oceania and NCL.

With regards to our credit, shortly after our return our TA let us know she had it in her records. I thought I would sit on it a while, but it started burning a hole in my pocket and we booked another cruise within a few weeks.

Hi Buggins!

When we think back to that day we too are amazed at how Oceania handled the situation. It was an uncomfortable time for everyone but how Oceania managed to 'find' five aircraft to get us back to Miami at short notice is pretty amazing.

Some of the Oceania staff at the hotel in Miami seemed to be a bit short of information and they too were very tired so maybe where the confusion arose about the compensation.

Perhaps the crew were running to their muster stations or if the kitchen was near where the engine fire they were getting out of harms way

I know one kitchen staff member that is one of the 1st responders & went to work on the workers that subsequently died

He is still traumatized

There is always two sides to every story

Thanks for the link LeeAnn. I hadn't made the connection. And, that puts OP's post in an interesting light.

My perception ties exactly with what Lyn just stated.

We were just getting to our cabin when the power went out. Then there was an emergency announcement (for crew) shortly after. I peeked out and saw the stewards in the hall and they looked surprised. They stopped servicing cabins - so they were going into some type of emergency mode.

Muster came later - after the situation worsened.

No matter, the ship was in port...the only way off was through security, unless these cooks lowered a lifeboat!!!! We left the ship after the first announcement, toured the Castries market about 45 minutes, then returned to the ship. Shortly after our return there was the muster.

This was a very bad incident all around for the passenger's, crew and especially the people who lost their life. I was not there so can not speak from personal experience however when things as unexpected and sever as this happen stuff gets mixed up at first and usually has to be finalized later. I am sorry you had this happen to you and if the final payment was not too your liking , again sorry however I really do not think the line went our of their way to lie to you or anyone.

Thanks for the link LeeAnn. I hadn't made the connection. And, that puts OP's post in an interesting light.

My perception ties exactly with what Lyn just stated.

Mine too.

This was a very bad incident all around for the passenger's, crew and especially the people who lost their life. I was not there so can not speak from personal experience however when things as unexpected and sever as this happen stuff gets mixed up at first and usually has to be finalized later. I am sorry you had this happen to you and if the final payment was not too your liking , again sorry however I really do not think the line went our of their way to lie to you or anyone.

Agree 100%.

Look, I don't want to pile on, but I have to say that I find this thread very troubling. People DIED, and someone is posting angry attacks on Oceania because, right in the heat of a tragic incident, a staff member (who was likely quite stressed out trying to deal with a highly unusual and difficult situation) made an erroneous statement about how much compensation they would get. I can't help but feel like it's distasteful to try to profit financially over such an incident. Obviously the passengers deserved appropriate compensation, but to demand a blank check? One that could be used for thousands of dollars more than they actually paid for the ill-fated cruise? That's just wrong.

I also want to say that I'm no Oceania cheerleader...my first O cruise is booked, but I haven't been on it yet. Nor do I believe that cruise lines don't lie. I had someone in the Crystal home office blatantly lie to me about the need for Russian visas in St. Petersburg. (And boy did I get ripped apart when I posted about it!) So I would be the first person to side with someone who truly did get lied to by a cruise line.

But this...I just feel like I need to take a shower now. :(

“We were sitting down for breakfast and all of a sudden the lights went out,” Jerome Goldchain told 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera. “Then all the chefs came running out of the kitchen and ran off the ship. The crew left the ship before the passengers.”

It just occurred to me that the Goldchains probably did, in fact, see the chefs come running out of the kitchen. But that's probably where reality ends. After all, if the husband and wife were in the dining room, unless they leapt up from their table and went high tailing after the chefs, they'd have no way of knowing where the chefs went. The Goldchains concluded that the chefs left the ship; more likely, the chefs were doing exactly what they were trained to do: reporting to their assigned emergency stations.

We don't think of personnel like chefs having a role in emergencies. The closest we come to an emergency is the muster drill and the chefs don't play a role in that. I'm confident that all hands -- and let's include the manicurist in the spa once we're saying "all hands" -- have a very specific job to do in an emergency. I suspect every single crew member has been taught where the life jackets are kept and how to put them on panicked guests. Every crew member is capable of standing in a stair landing and assisting passengers who need help since all know not to use an elevator in an emergency. Maybe the bigger, burlier chefs are among the crew members are heading to the rooms where a wheel chair user is staying to carry them out.

In short, I don't know where the chefs' emergency station might be, but I'm confident that it doesn't involve staying in the kitchen. (I do assume one chef is assigned to stay behind until confident that all ovens/cook tops, etc are turned off.) Sorry the Goldchains lack the imagination to realize this.

It just occurred to me that the Goldchains probably did, in fact, see the chefs come running out of the kitchen. But that's probably where reality ends. After all, if the husband and wife were in the dining room, unless they leapt up from their table and went high tailing after the chefs, they'd have no way of knowing where the chefs went. The Goldchains concluded that the chefs left the ship; more likely, the chefs were doing exactly what they were trained to do: reporting to their assigned emergency stations.

We don't think of personnel like chefs having a role in emergencies. The closest we come to an emergency is the muster drill and the chefs don't play a role in that. I'm confident that all hands -- and let's include the manicurist in the spa once we're saying "all hands" -- have a very specific job to do in an emergency. I suspect every single crew member has been taught where the life jackets are kept and how to put them on panicked guests. Every crew member is capable of standing in a stair landing and assisting passengers who need help since all know not to use an elevator in an emergency. Maybe the bigger, burlier chefs are among the crew members are heading to the rooms where a wheel chair user is staying to carry them out.

In short, I don't know where the chefs' emergency station might be, but I'm confident that it doesn't involve staying in the kitchen. (I do assume one chef is assigned to stay behind until confident that all ovens/cook tops, etc are turned off.) Sorry the Goldchains lack the imagination to realize this.

Y'know I don't want to make it appear I am questioning the Goldchain's account. I wasn't there. They were. This is what they say they saw. Furthermore, it is NOT unheard of for crew members on a cruise ship to behave less than admirably in a crisis -- we've all heard the horror stories coming out of the Concordia disaster. There were tales of heroism, but there were also tales of really awful and cowardly behavior (including the captain himself). So it's not out of the bounds of reality to believe what the Goldchains said happened, happened.

However, they appear to be the only people saying it. If there are other passengers who believe they saw crew abandoning ship before passengers were evacuated, I can't find them. If they exist, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see them.

So all I'm saying is, in the absence of any other reports of crew improperly leaving before passengers, or of Oceania blatantly and purposefully lying about their compensation, I can't help but believe that this couple are confused in their perceptions about both.

Those are some pretty strong charges to level against a company, and if any of it was true, it would certainly play a role in my choice whether or not to cruise with them. But given what I've read so far, I am choosing to believe that the Goldchains are simply mistaken. About both. It happens. I've misread things enough times, and I'm sure it was a traumatizing event. Such trauma can have an impact on how one remembers things that are happening in the midst of the trauma.

But I am open to having my mind changed if other evidence becomes available.

Edited by Leejnd4