Molecular will be replaced!?

fridge

Let's take your "special ingredients" then. I have a bottle of agave nectar in my fridge as we speak. Bought it at the grocery store a few blocks from my house and use it in margaritas & some other drinks fairly often. Pretty sure it's purchase price doesn't include any license fees for Mr. Merino. So happens my wife also bought a few fresh pineapple this week at the same grocery store to make some party centerpieces for her sister. If I were to cut a few slices, grill them & use the juice reduction I don't believe I owe Mr. Merino any license fees. We grow fresh mint & use a mortar & pestle to mince it & use the concentrated essence in mojitos. Coincidentally we also have several hibiscus plants in the back yard and could certainly do the same with a flower or two. Again, I'm pretty damn sure I wouldn't owe Mr. Merino any license fees.

I see that Mr. Merino sells bottles of a number of his "special ingredients" on his website and have absolutely no quarrel with that at all. But I'll stand my ground with my contention that to somehow "license" the drinks made with those ingredients is every bit as absurd as licensing a recipe that my wife (or a local restaurant) gets rave reviews about.

Doesn't this happen all the time?

Take a bottle of Drambuie, for example. Every time you buy a Drambuie a bit of money goes back to the makers of Drambuie. You can go to a shop and buy whisky, heather honey and spices and play around with the ingredients at home until you get something that is identical to Drambuie, no problems. Bottle it and try to sell it as Drambuie - then you have a problem, because way back when the makers established a case that their precise blend was unique to them. Does it stop others making their own versions under a different name? No. Glayva for example.

No difference to HP Sauce (A1 Steak Sauce). Coke, Pepsi, Virgin Cola or the Big Mac pink sauce. no one can stop you trying to recreate those recipes you just can't actually use their recipe and call it by the name they've licensed

Isn't he protecting stuff like "Violet Hummingbird" and "Lucky cat". He isn't trying to claim he invented the GnT.

Sorry you think these are lousy analogy's

Don't know and really don't care whether you actually ever consumed one of the delicious concoctions at the Molecular Bar, but what made it unique is that the mixed drinks were NOT made with standard ingredients. Does your local watering hole serve drinks made with fresh grilled pineapple juice, agave nectar, passion ginger foam or hibiscus essence? Didn't think so......so Mr Merino has every right to license the specific ingredients to each drink he has come up with.

To compare what they serve at the Molecular Bar to the tuna casserole your mom made...that's absurd.

It's only the names of the drinks that he has licencesd. Even though junior was one of the first to make molecular cocktails popular he is not the only one doing this. You can go to many bars in middle America and get the same thing and even better.

Maybe a better comparison for you would be the cronut.

We've never been on Equinox, but we've been on other S class ships and the Molecular bar is seldom busy. The only time we've seen a lot of people in there was when they were having an art exhibit. it's a very cool concept, but the placement of the bar and the cost of the drinks makes it unpopular IMO.

Tom

The bar not being overly busy works, because it takes longer than the usual amount of time to make the drinks they serve.

It's our favorite bar also. One of the few places on the ship that delivers on its promise, which is to engage the senses. The drinks are also a work of art, so the location near the art gallery is fitting.

We hope the next venue can continue to brink an artful flare and delicious tastes to our future cruises.

Edited by Chitown12562

Really ? - Chemistry ? :rolleyes:, protecting his work ?

Every chef uses recipies created by those who created the original dish , without fear of impunity. Who says a Ginger Mojito needs to be licenced.

Is there a royalty paid for a Dirty Martini each time its consumed?:cool:

Exactly!

Doesn't this happen all the time?

Take a bottle of Drambuie, for example. Every time you buy a Drambuie a bit of money goes back to the makers of Drambuie. You can go to a shop and buy whisky, heather honey and spices and play around with the ingredients at home until you get something that is identical to Drambuie, no problems. Bottle it and try to sell it as Drambuie - then you have a problem, because way back when the makers established a case that their precise blend was unique to them. Does it stop others making their own versions under a different name? No. Glayva for example.

No difference to HP Sauce (A1 Steak Sauce). Coke, Pepsi, Virgin Cola or the Big Mac pink sauce. no one can stop you trying to recreate those recipes you just can't actually use their recipe and call it by the name they've licensed

Isn't he protecting stuff like "Violet Hummingbird" and "Lucky cat". He isn't trying to claim he invented the GnT.

Sorry you think these are lousy analogy's

It's only the names of the drinks that he has licencesd. Even though junior was one of the first to make molecular cocktails popular he is not the only one doing this. You can go to many bars in middle America and get the same thing and even better.

Maybe a better comparison for you would be the cronut.

If he's licensing names that he's trademarked, then that's different. I agree that the names could be trademarked and he could legitimately ask for fees for their usage. Well, at least some of them... Sure hope he's not so bold as to try to ask for license fees for the one mentioned the most in this thread - the "Kentucky Derby." :rolleyes:

Exactly!

If he's licensing names that he's trademarked, then that's different. I agree that the names could be trademarked and he could legitimately ask for fees for their usage. Well, at least some of them... Sure hope he's not so bold as to try to ask for license fees for the one mentioned the most in this thread - the "Kentucky Derby." :rolleyes:

I can pretty much guarantee you he will be so "bold" as to protect his work. Enjoy the drink while you can because once the licence agreement expires...

I mean, really, if it was simple to create the beverage, how come you didnt trademark it?

I can pretty much guarantee you he will be so "bold" as to protect his work. Enjoy the drink while you can because once the licence agreement expires...

I mean, really, if it was simple to create the beverage, how come you didnt trademark it?

Psssttt... Sounds like you need a little education on trademark law. You CAN'T trademark the drink, but you CAN trademark the name - provided you didn't steal an already-trademarked name like "Kentucky Derby." If he's "bold" enough to try to ask license fees for use of THAT name, he just may find out he owes more than he's making from it - to Churchill Downs!

Since (as others have provided the links here) he provides the recipe for his drinks freely online, one can enjoy the exact drinks for as long as desired...

Hopefully the Celebrity Rep on CC will post the upcoming changes and when they take place. I want to know if the bar will still be there on the Reflection for the 5/18 sailing.

I hope they won't have to shut the bar down for a sailing for two while they reconfigure everything.

Psssttt... Sounds like you need a little education on trademark law. You CAN'T trademark the drink, but you CAN trademark the name - provided you didn't steal an already-trademarked name like "Kentucky Derby." If he's "bold" enough to try to ask license fees for use of THAT name, he just may find out he owes more than he's making from it - to Churchill Downs!

Since (as others have provided the links here) he provides the recipe for his drinks freely online, one can enjoy the exact drinks for as long as desired...

I'm going to assume Merino took the steps to protect his products, or else, why would Celebrity go to the trouble of the licence agreement? It's not like The Liquif Chef was a household brand in the vast majority of flyover areas. It would also be terrible business practice for RCCL/X if they dump the brand but keep all the drinks. You think they wound be able to sign big babes like Jamie Oliver if thats how they did business?

But as you say, the receipe is available online so even though it will be (officially) gone from X, you can always make it home...

Bottom line, it is afixin to change, and we will know over the course of the next 90 days what that change will be.

Heck, maybe this is why Celebrity has skuttled changing Cellar Masters to the GastroBar on the rest of the fleet:D

I vote they keep the fancy drinks. They could always invent their own drinks using some of the same types ingrediants. Coming up with a new name for the Ginger Mojito could be difficult though.

Agreed - they could really continue serving very similar drinks. They'd have to change the names of some of the drinks, but I don't think there's anyway to stop an establishment from calling a drink a "Ginger Mojito" if its a mojito with ginger added! I'm seriously doubting "Ginger Mojito" is able to be trademarked! :)

I vote they keep the fancy drinks. They could always invent their own drinks using some of the same types ingrediants. Coming up with a new name for the Ginger Mojito could be difficult though.

I'm guessing they that is exactly what they do.

They know the ingredients and how they are made.

Change the names of the cocktails and expand the menu.

There are plenty of new bars in every major city that specialize in "craft cocktails"

Getting rid of the royalties may make the prices more competitive.

We were on the 2/14 Reflection sailing and stopped there a couple nights.

The drinks were great! The service was a little slow even taking into account the extended prep time for the cocktails.

It was a nice change for us as the Martini Bar was always packed.

Hoping Celebrity comes up with a nice alternative.

We chose the 5/18 Reflection because of the itinerary but were also partly drawn by the Molecular Bar. I know ship amenities can change but do hope they offer something similar when we sail.

It does appear as though Celebrity is taking this move to save money. I don't object to them saving money but to hope they can deliver a similar type of experience. The names of the drinks do not concern me as long as they are fantastic and cutting edge.

The loss of the Molecular Bar is a definite downgrade ! I am sure X can serve up similiar concoctions, names are not important. I viewed my time at the Molecular Bar akin to the concept of "Stadium Experience". There is so much more than just the drinks. Although the Kentucky Derby is something special.

The preparation and presentation of the cocktails is enthralling and the performance of the ( I hate to call them bartenders) was most entertaining. We just returned from the Reflection and Adrian and Sergey played to a full house most nights with great support from Alexandra.

I am hesitant now about booking and definitely not going "Premium" until this issue is clarified.

I'll have another Kentucky Derby please and an Indulgence for my wife !

I'll have another Kentucky Derby please and an Indulgence for my wife !

At least you were able to sample these drinks as well as other drinks that have been mentioned like the Watermelon Felon and the White Cloud. These were all part of page 3 of the drink list which was only 2 pages in length when we sailed on the Silhouette last year. I'm not a scotch drinker, but I did love the Black Mamba with that piece of crystallized ginger.

Very sad to read that the Molecular Bar concept will be changed.

We always liked the special cocktails and atmosphere there. During our last three cruises in November/December the bar was always packed and we had difficulties in finding a seat. The Molecular bar was from our perspective one of the reasons to book X. One more special place beside the ones they have taken us already like Michaels and partially Cellar Masters. Hope they will keep the molecular style drinks, with high quality ingrediants as part of the premium package.

The more and more cost cuttings Celebrity tries to offer under Modern Luxery are pushing us hard to try Princess or HAL for our next cruises .

Hard to say whether the loss of the Molecular will be as traumatic as some posters suggest it will be for them. We have enjoyed the Molecular on several S class voyages and, as a couple of others have posted, it along with single malt scotches, provided sufficient rationale for us to upgrade to the premium drink package. However, my observations on the past 2 Equinox sailings we were on is that the Molecular, compared to several of the other bar venues, was very lightly patronized. If that pattern is/was being exhibited across numerous sailings of the S class ships then it is no real surprise that Celebrity would be rethinking the allocation of space and other resources to perpetuating the concept.

As to whether the elimination of the Molecular represents a cheaping of the Celebrity experience, I think people ought to withhold their judgement until they see what Celebrity replaces it with. Hopefully, they will make a better choice, in my opinion,than they did with the installation of the GastroBar, which I found on our last voyage to be a pretty worthless addition (not that I ever thought that the Cellar Masters was of any particular value either). I would hope that since the Molecular did represent a unique differentiator between not only its own fleet but also from other cruise lines that Celebrity will come up with a worthy replacement.

While we enjoy the delicious and unique cocktails at the Molecular Bar, from our experience on the Solstice in January, it typically took about 20 minutes from the time the order was placed to the time it was delivered. Usually there is only one bartender. The recipes are often complicated and take a long time to make. If there are just six other people sitting at the bar, you can do the math. So, I do wonder if the bar is just not cost effective for Celebrity based on the staff time required to prepare each drink.

While we enjoy the delicious and unique cocktails at the Molecular Bar, from our experience on the Solstice in January, it typically took about 20 minutes from the time the order was placed to the time it was delivered. Usually there is only one bartender. The recipes are often complicated and take a long time to make. If there are just six other people sitting at the bar, you can do the math. So, I do wonder if the bar is just not cost effective for Celebrity based on the staff time required to prepare each drink.

It's interesting that on this board some say that Celebrity has reduced their offering of Modern Luxtury. Some even say what is offer is not so modern or even luxurious. But if that is what we want we should understand that it comes at a price, and sometimes that price is time.

You're right in that it takes a while for those fancy drinks to be made and if Molecular bar is full and there is only one bartender,....you could well be there for a while. I say I think it's worth the wait. (If I don't have a show I'm trying to get to.):D

I've been there when there was one bartender (not so good, slow service) and when there were two (much better). I've never seen it filled with too many people, like the martini bar, and that works for me. The Molecular bar is why we upgrade to the premium package and we look forward to going there every night of every cruise. With the things that are being taken away it is (was) one of the few remaining venues and said "Modern Luxury".

I wish them luck with coming up with a replacement venue.

Here's what I gleaned from the post from Celebrity Cruises: There will still be a bar venue in the same location as the Molecular Bar. The name of the bar may or may not be the same. There is a new partnership that cannot be revealed at this time, but will be announced in the next 3 months. Since the specific drinks were licensed, they will not be able to be reproduced exactly.

Seems that many posters seem to believe that the result will be an inferior product. Personally, I will wait until the new venue is in operation before I make a judgment. I hope that the change is postive and we'll see lots of posts praising the new venue.

Here's what I gleaned from the post from Celebrity Cruises: There will still be a bar venue in the same location as the Molecular Bar. The name of the bar may or may not be the same. There is a new partnership that cannot be revealed at this time, but will be announced in the next 3 months. Since the specific drinks were licensed, they will not be able to be reproduced exactly.

Seems that many posters seem to believe that the result will be an inferior product. Personally, I will wait until the new venue is in operation before I make a judgment. I hope that the change is postive and we'll see lots of posts praising the new venue.

Unless I missed it over the past few pages, I can't get a clear answer as to whether the Molecular Bar is still operating until a replacement partnership is arranged, or whether it is shut down effective immediately. Perhaps the question can be answered by someone currently sailing or hopefully, the Celebrity Cruises official who posted previously, will be able to clarify.

Thanks