Molecular will be replaced!?

fridge

Unless I missed it over the past few pages, I can't get a clear answer as to whether the Molecular Bar is still operating until a replacement partnership is arranged, or whether it is shut down effective immediately. Perhaps the question can be answered by someone currently sailing or hopefully, the Celebrity Cruises official who posted previously, will be able to clarify.

Thanks

What I got from reading the last 8 pages of comments is that the changeover would happen in the May time frame. I would also infer that the bar is operational until the transition. This leads me to believe that there is a 3 month notice to break the contract in place since these rumors/discussions are surfacing now.

Just like giving notice to a landlord about renewing (or breaking) a lease comes with some advance notice (defined period of time) for all parties involved to adjust and move forward.

On Celebrity Facebook page:

Celebrity Cruises: Hi Arno, In the next 90 days, we will be migrating to a new, but somewhat similar experience and will continue serving specialty drinks in this venue. At this time, we can't reveal our new partnership, any of the new drinks, or if we will continue to call it "The Molecular Bar."

However, my observations on the past 2 Equinox sailings we were on is that the Molecular, compared to several of the other bar venues, was very lightly patronized. If that pattern is/was being exhibited across numerous sailings of the S class ships then it is no real surprise that Celebrity would be rethinking the allocation of space and other resources to perpetuating the concept.
According to the schematics of the deck plans on the Celebrity website, all of the current S Class ships still have Galleria Tastings listed instead of Molecular Bar, with the exception of the Equinox, which I can only assume was changed when she went through her recent dry dock. There is no mention of the bar in any signage around the ship, nor are there any mentions or promotions in the daily Celebrity Today. The only way people know about it is if they either drank there on a previous cruise, read about it on CC, or happened to stumble upon it in the evening on the way to Cafe al Bacio or to redeem their free scoop of gelato.

I think the location of the Molecular is one of the biggest problems. It's too bad it can't be in a more happening spot. It is just not a very fun atmosphere at all. I was totally expecting to love it prior to my cruise on the Equinox, but it just didn't measure up to all the hype here on cruise critic. Hopeful whatever they change also livens up the atmosphere.

I just hate it when rumors take over a CC board. Can one of the hosts please confirm or not this "news" about the demise/change of the Molecular Bar? I can't find any post from Celebrity on it, and we are booked for the April 19 TA on Silhouette in 5 weeks. Was looking forward to more fun experiences in the Molecular Bar as on our previous cruises on Eclipse.

Yes, DH couldn't get his single malt scotch there but we picked it up on the way at the Martini Bar. No big.

It was always full, bartenders were polite, and we didn't get any sense that it was a "third party operation." Don't care where the concept came from. Just hoping it is still there in a few weeks. Any official, factual info would be most welcome.

Thanks.

I just hate it when rumors take over a CC board. Can one of the hosts please confirm or not this "news" about the demise/change of the Molecular Bar? I can't find any post from Celebrity on it, and we are booked for the April 19 TA on Silhouette in 5 weeks. Was looking forward to more fun experiences in the Molecular Bar as on our previous cruises on Eclipse.

Yes, DH couldn't get his single malt scotch there but we picked it up on the way at the Martini Bar. No big.

It was always full, bartenders were polite, and we didn't get any sense that it was a "third party operation." Don't care where the concept came from. Just hoping it is still there in a few weeks. Any official, factual info would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Check post 95 where the Celebrity rep provided information.

Thanks.

There is preliminary word from Celebrity; see post #95. Now we just have to wait out the 90 or so days to find out the final word. Hope you enjoy the cruise. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Hi all,

The Molecular Bar is currently operated by a 3rd party vendor - Junior Merino. We have decided to not renew our contract with him, and therefore as the drinks were licensed, we will be unable to serve the same specific drinks in the future. In the next 90 days, we will be migrating to a new, but somewhat similar experience and will continue serving specialty drinks in this venue. At this time, we can't reveal our new partnership, any of the new drinks, or if we will continue to call it "The Molecular Bar."

However, we are confident that guests will enjoy this new and exciting bar that we will be introducing.

It's not a rumor but 5 weeks should put you before the changeover.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']I find it rather upsetting that one can actually "license" a mixture of liquor and mixes. What's next, "I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to make that casserole, its licensed!!"

ESPECIALLY when the recipe is right there on a publicly accessible website!

I sure hope no one pops up to claim the "license" for margaritas! Reminds me of the high tech patent trolls...[/quote]

Look at it this way. McDonald's and Burger King both sell burgers. They use basically the same ingredients. However you can't order a Whopper at McDonald's or a Big Mac at Burger King. Either one can create the same sandwich they just have to call it something else. That's where the licensing comes in to play. Celebrity will probably create the same concept of specialty drinks in house and not pay a franchise fee.

[quote name='Seatbelt_Bag_LOVE']I think the location of the Molecular is one of the biggest problems. It's too bad it can't be in a more happening spot. It is just not a very fun atmosphere at all. I was totally expecting to love it prior to my cruise on the Equinox, but it just didn't measure up to all the hype here on cruise critic. Hopeful whatever they change also livens up the atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they could take out the last shop in the row and allow a space for a piano or a band defending on how lively you want it to be. if it was the former then perhaps they would have to turn the volume down on the activities in the atrium so as the two did not compete then perhaps the party goers would gravitate more toward the night club or the sky lounge which would then be better used than they seem to be at the moment. Just a thought X.

[quote name='scifimonkey']Maybe they could take out the last shop in the row and allow a space for a piano or a band defending on how lively you want it to be. if it was the former then perhaps they would have to turn the volume down on the activities in the atrium so as the two did not compete then perhaps the party goers would gravitate more toward the night club or the sky lounge which would then be better used than they seem to be at the moment. Just a thought X.[/QUOTE]
How about taking out the massive watch shop, put in a second bar and a piano bar? It could be a great area and it would be properly staffed.

[quote name='Patrick IL.']How about taking out the massive watch shop, put in a second bar and a piano bar? It could be a great area and it would be properly staffed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, buying a watch on board is the last thing I want to do, especially when in the Carib, but somebody must be doing it.

[quote name='BosoxI']Yes, buying a watch on board is the last thing I want to do, especially when in the Carib, but somebody must be doing it.[/QUOTE]

Greetings

The problem is that the watch shop is "rented" space. So any replacement would have to generate more revenue than they get from the rental agreement. And given that there are now so many free bev packages, additional bars probably add very little additional revenue.

Good Sailing
Tom

[quote name='Patrick IL.']How about taking out the massive watch shop, put in a second bar and a piano bar? It could be a great area and it would be properly staffed.[/QUOTE]

Where should they put the watch shop. Seems like on all my cruises, many, many passengers are purchasing watches. Edited by NLH Arizona

Well I am going to miss my coming up roses drink. But since the drink package came out we often stick with classic and did not got there. Whereas before the drink package we did once or twice a cruise. With the offerings not available on M class I can see where the loyalty may not have developed.

When we did the math, for as little as we drank, just buying one would have been the way to go. But we often talked ourselves out of it as there was an entire free menu to choose from.

I'd like to think of it as a trial for new ships we get to preview!

Onward to what is next. Thanks Arno for the official scoop.

[quote name='RickEk']
[B][U]
Princess partners with Stephen Schwartz[/U][/B]

Interesting...

[url]http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/stephen-schwartz/[/url]

Looks like Princess is upping their game.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that one cruiseline thinks there are profits to be made in high end partnerships while one interprets the future with cutting out those partnerships. Edited by chamima

Interesting. I read that Princess also partnered with Norman Love Chocolates, a local Florida chocolate chef.
And they are delicious (and quite pricey also). He does desserts, chocolates, gelato, and crepes in his stores in Southwest Florida.

[quote name='Seahorse44']Interesting. I read that Princess also partnered with Norman Love Chocolates, a local Florida chocolate chef.
And they are delicious (and quite pricey also). He does desserts, chocolates, gelato, and crepes in his stores in Southwest Florida.[/QUOTE]

At some point all these partneships/contracts expire and they are replaced. No one knows the length of these different contracts but I like the idea of changing things up for variety;s sake. I imagine Celebrity has thought this through and I look forward to the new bar and concept as I am not a fan of the Molecular bar and maybe the new one will be more to my liking.

[quote name='Christine Frances']At some point all these partneships/contracts expire and they are replaced. No one knows the length of these different contracts but I like the idea of changing things up for variety;s sake. I imagine Celebrity has thought this through and I look forward to the new bar and concept as I am not a fan of the Molecular bar and maybe the new one will be more to my liking.[/quote]

I like the Molecular bar concept but understand the need for change. Part of it could me the fee they have to pay and part could be they want another concept. I'm sure there goal is to get something a large amount of people will like and spend money on. I hope they announce something soon for those of us that are cruising within the 90 day window the change is taking place.

[quote name='Celebrity Cruises']Hi all,

The Molecular Bar is currently operated by a 3rd party vendor - Junior Merino. We have decided to not renew our contract with him, and therefore as the drinks were licensed, we will be unable to serve the same specific drinks in the future. In the next 90 days, we will be migrating to a new, but somewhat similar experience and will continue serving specialty drinks in this venue. At this time, we can't reveal our new partnership, any of the new drinks, or if we will continue to call it "The Molecular Bar."

However, we are confident that guests will enjoy this new and exciting bar that we will be introducing.[/QUOTE]

It sure was fun while it lasted. I hope to see very similar offerings. There is so much invention out there that comes from creativity that does not have to be licensed.

Typed while I enjoy a Cucumber and Pear Mule made of home made cucumber infused vodka and pear infused vodka with a spot of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle of agave!

Topped with Ginger ale or Ginger Beer of course. Edited by MizDemeanor