Molecular will be replaced!?

fridge

...just returned from a wonderful cruise on the equinox. A staff member told us, that they will replace the Molecular Bar by a new Bar in 3 Months from now. Anyone heard the same?

The Equinox had it's dry dock last year. Is the OP talking about the Eclipse which I think is due Apr/15? Might it be confused with the Gastrobar?

Edited by Christine Frances

While it is certainly possible that Celebrity will change/update any of their bars or dining venues, I am always leery of a story like "I heard it from a bartender who heard it from a member of management, who heard it from their girlfriend"

Doesn't everyone remember the nice woman on this site about 3 months ago who was insistent that she heard from the Captain himself that Celebrity was getting rid of Aqua Class and Blu.......

Or the guy who swore over and over again that he had inside information that they were going to change the martini bar into a western/rodeo bar....

I totally agree. Basically the only reason we upgrade is for the molecular bar. We sail early May so I better wait to upgrade until we get onboard and see it's still open,

Molecular and decent scotch are also why I upgrade. My wife will be very upset if they close this one.

I've convinced six new to celebrity cruisers sailing to Alaska with us to upgrade just for this bar!

If they do change, can I drop my packages back to classic?

Edited by flyingv4me
Spelling.

We have never used the Molecular Bar. It's location is a bit strange in the M class ships, which we primarily cruise on.

Also, we drink beer and wine except for a martini now and then. We do like the Martini Bar.

We have never used the Molecular Bar. It's location is a bit strange in the M class ships, which we primarily cruise on.

Also, we drink beer and wine except for a martini now and then. We do like the Martini Bar.

I didn't think the M class had a molecular bar?

The location might be strange on the M class ships because they are ONLY on the S class ships. Maybe to many beers to remember which bar you were at. Don't worry I am the same way so, I use a ball of yarn to find my way back to by stateroom.

The location might be strange on the M class ships because they are ONLY on the S class ships. Maybe to many beers to remember which bar you were at. Don't worry I am the same way so, I use a ball of yarn to find my way back to by stateroom.

It has been two years since we were on an S class. I suppose that I can mark that up to a senior moment,

Hi all,

I am currently on the President's Cruise in Singapore for the next 2 weeks, and may be a little delayed in some responses. With that being said, we are looking into this.

The Molecular Bar is one of the things that, to us, sets Celebrity above other cruise lines. We are there every night and really love their drinks and the ambiance there.

We would be REALLY disappointed to see it disappear and would seriously have to re-think the 5 cruises we currently have booked.

What a sad direction to take "Modern Luxury". :(

Dear Karen,

I was hoping you would weigh in on this. I truly hope that this is just a rumor with no foundation because I would definitely be UPSET. There is no way I'd upgrade to the Premium Drinks Package if the Molecular Bar went away. And we also have 5 cruises currently booked.

Hope you had a good cruise on the Eclipse.

Betty

Hi all,

I am currently on the President's Cruise in Singapore for the next 2 weeks, and may be a little delayed in some responses. With that being said, we are looking into this.

Dear Karen,

I was hoping you would weigh in on this. I truly hope that this is just a rumor with no foundation because I would definitely be UPSET. There is no way I'd upgrade to the Premium Drinks Package if the Molecular Bar went away. And we also have 5 cruises currently booked.

Hope you had a good cruise on the Eclipse.

Betty

Hi Betty

Believe it or not, the Eclipse cruise was even better than the Equinox (and we LOVED the cruise on the Equinox!)

I plan on writing a comparison review this week.

Just returned from the Silhouette. The Molecular Bar is the only reason that my wife and I upgraded our packages to premium. The martinis and cocktails are wonderful and unique. It's a great place to meet fellow travellers. On this cruise, and our previous journey on the Silhouette, the Molecular Bar was jammed. Last cruise they had 2 FT bartenders. This time, just 1 with occasional relief. I sure hope they do not get rid of it. Losing Michael's Club was bad enough, this would be even worse.

Hi all,

Fun, exciting cocktails is modern luxury. Why get rid of this great original bar at sea.

Hello,

I too am one who hopes they don't get rid of the Molecular Bar. After, newness and larger size, the Molecular Bar is one of the main reasons I'll choose an S Class over M Class ship every time, if available for the itinerary I am interested in ! And the ONLY reason I get the Premium Package.

I got a chuckle out of a couple comments about it being "out of the way"…heck, its on Deck 5 Midships, can't get much more central than that ! Just steps to Cafe al Bacio, steps down to Martini, steps to Atrium and elevators etc. Of course on a small ship, I don't think anything is out of the way.

We have also been fortunate to have some great Bartenders. My wife, who typically doesn't like alcoholic cocktails (although even she found a couple to her liking), was able to get a glass of her favorite wine each night, and another couple we met and were with us, were able to get their favorite beer, so everyone in our group was satisfied !

If they replace it, please, please keep it some type of Bar serving craft cocktails, and/or craft beers ! Otherwise, I'll have to spend each evening before and after dinner in my cabin !!:eek:

BBL

The Molecular Bar is one of the things that, to us, sets Celebrity above other cruise lines. We are there every night and really love their drinks and the ambiance there.

We would be REALLY disappointed to see it disappear and would seriously have to re-think the 5 cruises we currently have booked.

What a sad direction to take "Modern Luxury". :(

I agree with you Karen. But you have to be careful about the people you meet there. :eek:

Larry

I just got off Reflection on Saturday and we heard from one of the bartenders that the Molecular Bar would be closing :(. I believe it will be in the May timeframe.

It has to do with a contract that is expiring with the originator of the Molecular Bar idea. The bartender had no idea what will replace it, but I'm sure it will be another high priced idea to keep the premium drink packages worthwhile.

I just got off Reflection on Saturday and we heard from one of the bartenders that the Molecular Bar would be closing :(. I believe it will be in the May timeframe.

It has to do with a contract that is expiring with the originator of the Molecular Bar idea. The bartender had no idea what will replace it, but I'm sure it will be another high priced idea to keep the premium drink packages worthwhile.

Some things we observed are beginning to make this make sense in light of what you say about the contract expiring.

All of our bartenders were making their own concoctions (which they let us try out and some were VERY good, BTW) for an upcoming "contest".

I'm wondering (and hoping!!!) that only the name may change but the concept will continue without Junior Merinos affiliation.

There is hope!

This bar is truly the epitome of modern luxury for us - and where we are to be found each and every night before and after dinner. Would definitely start looking at other lines if the whole concept were to disappear - but if it is simply the affiliation with Junior Merino, I am sure there will still be some great cocktails.

Looking forward to some good news on this topic.

Carole

Hi all,

The Molecular Bar is currently operated by a 3rd party vendor - Junior Merino. We have decided to not renew our contract with him, and therefore as the drinks were licensed, we will be unable to serve the same specific drinks in the future. In the next 90 days, we will be migrating to a new, but somewhat similar experience and will continue serving specialty drinks in this venue. At this time, we can't reveal our new partnership, any of the new drinks, or if we will continue to call it "The Molecular Bar."

However, we are confident that guests will enjoy this new and exciting bar that we will be introducing.

Hi all,

The Molecular Bar is currently operated by a 3rd party vendor - Junior Merino. We have decided to not renew our contract with him, and therefore as the drinks were licensed, we will be unable to serve the same specific drinks in the future. In the next 90 days, we will be migrating to a new, but somewhat similar experience and will continue serving specialty drinks in this venue. At this time, we can't reveal our new partnership, any of the new drinks, or if we will continue to call it "The Molecular Bar."

However, we are confident that guests will enjoy this new and exciting bar that we will be introducing.

Good to hear!

Make sure you include George from the Eclipse's "G-d Only Knows" (his name for the drink) in your new drink lineup.

Edited by chamima

Good to hear!

Make sure you include George from the Eclipse's "G-d Only Knows" (his name for the drink) in your new drink lineup.

It's always fun trying out the various bartender creations not offered on the menu.

Hi all,

Thanks for the information. Some time ago I posted that one of the things Michael Bayey did was to examine receipts in an attempt to control cost. One of the questions asked was: What are we paying for things we could do ourselves at a lower cost? This was designed to be a way to generate savings without negatively impacting the cruise experience. The decisions not to renew the Merino contract and to produce shows in house appear to be examples of the refocus. This makes perfect business sense and we now just need to see if it works as intended.

I know many people on your cruise who spend time in Michael's Club. Really a friendly group who enjoy cruising on Celebrity. Try to visit them in Michael's Club. Enjoy your Celebrity cruise. I'm waiting to hear where the President's Cruise is going next year. My friends tell me that it really is a not to be missed experience.