Is smoking allowed in Oceanview Bar Deck 10 Millennium?

surgie

That is a change! Or perhaps there was no one that tried to smoke out there. Were there signs?

Passengers were certainly smoking last year on the Connie...in March and May. Also smoking on the Equinox, port side OV/Sunset bar last month. ;)

We did back to back cruises on the Constellation January 16 to 29th,2015. There was no smoking allowed at all by the Oceanview Bar.

So it appears Constellation has made a change but not Millennium or Summit. I think there were some reports of Infinity changing also. Apparently it's a ship by ship decision.

Summit absolutely made the change. I am wondering why they would have changed it back? As of October 2014, there ws no smking at all at Sunset Bar and they had taken the big blue ashtrays away.

Edited by cherylroslyn

We're b2b in 1140 on the millenium in 2017. We'll cancel if there is still smoking on 10 below us. We were on the infinity in 1141 and there was no smoking allowed. I guess I just assumed it was a fleetwide change on the M-class ships...so this is a significant annoyance.

The worst possible situation is if it's up to the captain who obviously has real things to do. That means it's up to someone else...unknown of course...and it can change at any time. That's not what we signed up for....

We are in 1138 May of '16 - on Millennium and this makes me wonder if I should be looking for a C1 on the aft lower down. :confused:

I'm just going to say and flame away but I wish they would just make the ship smoke free - :cool: or at the LEAST then make the rules uniform so everyone can use the information to make the choices that work best for them.

Summit absolutely made the change. I am wondering why they would have changed it back? As of October 2014, there ws no smking at all at Sunset Bar and they had taken the big blue ashtrays away.

I was on Summit in Oct and I guarantee that there was smoking everyday at the port side of the Sunset bar. Now if we talk about after the 19th then I have no input.

We are in 1138 May of '16 - on Millennium and this makes me wonder if I should be looking for a C1 on the aft lower down. :confused:

I'm just going to say and flame away but I wish they would just make the ship smoke free - :cool: or at the LEAST then make the rules uniform so everyone can use the information to make the choices that work best for them.

The rules are (or were) uniform. It has always been my understanding that only certain areas (3, I believe) can one smoke onboard Celebrity ships. One of these areas has always been the outdoor port side aft on Millenium class ships. Now this appears to be changing. Many times I've been enjoying an after dinner cigar, alone, all by myself, when invariably someone comes and sits down at the table next to mine and starts to complain about the smoke. Actually, they don't complain, they just start some subtle coughing, loud talking about rude smokers, fanning the air or some such. I would welcome an actual complaint to my face so I could explain the smoking area rules to them. I NEVER light up without getting approval and an ashtray from bar staff. I find your argument similar to that used by those who move into a neighborhood next to an airport, then complain about the jet noise. Unbelievable. What ever happened to a bit of tolerance for those obeying the rules, but not quite as enlightened about smoking as yourself? I'll not get into the whole smoking argument, however, I do take issue when someone has a problem when I am obeying the rules. Play on.

I was on Summit in Oct and I guarantee that there was smoking everyday at the port side of the Sunset bar. Now if we talk about after the 19th then I have no input.
It was still that way at the beginning of December. Even though smoking was only allowed on the port side, often the smoke would drift across so it was smokey everywhere on that back deck.

When the smoke would hit us immediately stepping out there through the doors on the starboard side, we would turn around and go right back inside. Fortunately it wasn't that way all the time though.

The rules are (or were) uniform. It has always been my understanding that only certain areas (3, I believe) can one smoke onboard Celebrity ships. One of these areas has always been the outdoor port side aft on Millenium class ships. Now this appears to be changing. Many times I've been enjoying an after dinner cigar, alone, all by myself, when invariably someone comes and sits down at the table next to mine and starts to complain about the smoke. Actually, they don't complain, they just start some subtle coughing, loud talking about rude smokers, fanning the air or some such. I would welcome an actual complaint to my face so I could explain the smoking area rules to them. I NEVER light up without getting approval and an ashtray from bar staff. I find your argument similar to that used by those who move into a neighborhood next to an airport, then complain about the jet noise. Unbelievable. What ever happened to a bit of tolerance for those obeying the rules, but not quite as enlightened about smoking as yourself? I'll not get into the whole smoking argument, however, I do take issue when someone has a problem when I am obeying the rules. Play on.

This isn't a discussion of whether smoking should or shouldn't be allowed or even where it should be allowed. It's a discussion about the inconsistency and inability to understand what to expect on a given cruise on a given ship since it's been asserted that the captain makes the decision. As a smoker, you can very validly have have the same concern if you find that the outdoor bar doesn't allow smoking when you expected it to be a smoking area.

We should all expect consistency...and whatever the rules are, we should all follow them.

Celebrity Cruises is apparently trying to ignore this topic/thread....but it would be good to see some official statement on policy....other than passing the buck "the captain makes the decision" which just means HQ doesn't want to deal with this.

That is exactly what this is, an attempt to muddy the waters. As I said, I believe the policy is smoking allowed on M class ships in like 3 places, one of which happens to be the port side of the aft bar, outdoors. Evidently some people don't like this rule and keep pushing for more restrictions (did I hear 'smoke free ships' a few comments prior?) I think we all know what the rules are, most smokers surely do. Just because there are no visible ashtrays in smoking areas does not make them smoke free. I have found most bar staff remove them when not in use as they can get rather noxious. I always ask staff if smoking is allowed, showing my unlit cigar to them even when I know the area is a designated smoking area. They have always brought an ashtray to my table. I sincerely try to be considerate.

It seems to me there used to be printed material in your cabin showing designated smoking areas. I have never had a problem understanding where they were. I don't understand how this is misunderstood. Where did we come up with the idea that designating or not designating smoking areas is the Captain's decision? Please don't say the Celebrity phone operators in Miami told you, because we all know how accurate their information is. Once again, the absence of ashtrays DOES NOT indicate a designated nonsmoking area. I almost always have to ask for an ashtray. It's almost like somebody's taking them.......nah couldn't be.

That is exactly what this is, an attempt to muddy the waters. As I said, I believe the policy is smoking allowed on M class ships in like 3 places, one of which happens to be the port side of the aft bar, outdoors. Evidently some people don't like this rule and keep pushing for more restrictions (did I hear 'smoke free ships' a few comments prior?) I think we all know what the rules are, most smokers surely do.

Fortunately or unfortunately, your statement is not currently true. Smoking is not permitted at the oceanside bar on the infinity....I have seen people asked to put out their cigars/etc. I can't speak to the other ships....but the policy, much like the orange juice/etc has apparently changed at least on some ships....so there is no current policy and there is no current consistency.

I don't care which way it goes...but I'd sure like to see the same "rules" on all m-class ships so we, the passengers who are actually paying to be on the cruise, can book appropriate cabins. Celebrity apparently is either unaware or doesn't care about the inconsistency. Personally, I do want to know if I may smell smoke on my balcony....but I'd like to stay in one of the rear A1 cabins with the large balconies. Ultimately, I'll do what others do...visibly or not...I'll vote with my $'s.

You know, when I'm paying over $12K for a cruise, I think it's reasonable to know what to expect.....

Edited by ghstudio

I don't understand how this is misunderstood. Where did we come up with the idea that designating or not designating smoking areas is the Captain's decision? Please don't say the Celebrity phone operators in Miami told you, because we all know how accurate their information is.

The information that it is up to the captain came directly from the president's office. You may choose to believe it or not.

Just as you may choose to believe that the policy is the same on all M class ships when clearly it is not.

I just booked 1133 aft above the bar on port side. I hope the smoke won't bother me. Seems some say they really noticed it and others say it did not bother them at all. Guess I will just take my chances. It was the only cabin available in the deck 11 aft section and hopefully the view and larger balcony will offset any smell of smoke that I may notice.

Laura

It was the 19th and I was in one of the aft facing A1's right above Sunset. Also , they took all the ash trays off the smoking side, and the staff was not handing them out. Maybe they reversed the policy after complaints.

Edited by cherylroslyn

It was the 19th and I was in one of the aft facing A1's right above Sunset. Also , they took all the ash trays off the smoking side, and the staff was not handing them out. Maybe they reversed the policy after complaints.

They must of reversed the decision, I had heard that there was no more smoking at the sunset bar. I just got off the Summit Mar. 7th and there definitly was smoking allowed. My husband enjoys the occasional cigar and had one there every evening.

I thought that the sunset bar was the ONLY place where cigars and pipes were allowed to be smoked. If they are changing the policy (which appears to have already happened on some ships) there where are cigar and pipe smokers going to go?

They sell cigars onboard so they are going to have to designate somewhere where it's ok to smoke them.

This isn't a discussion of whether smoking should or shouldn't be allowed or even where it should be allowed. It's a discussion about the inconsistency and inability to understand what to expect on a given cruise on a given ship since it's been asserted that the captain makes the decision. As a smoker, you can very validly have have the same concern if you find that the outdoor bar doesn't allow smoking when you expected it to be a smoking area.

We should all expect consistency...and whatever the rules are, we should all follow them.

Celebrity Cruises is apparently trying to ignore this topic/thread....but it would be good to see some official statement on policy....other than passing the buck "the captain makes the decision" which just means HQ doesn't want to deal with this.

Hear Hear!

Absolutely!

+1

I thought that the sunset bar was the ONLY place where cigars and pipes were allowed to be smoked. If they are changing the policy (which appears to have already happened on some ships) there where are cigar and pipe smokers going to go?

They sell cigars onboard so they are going to have to designate somewhere where it's ok to smoke them.

Deck 4, Promenade, Port side?

That's the way it used to be. On the Connie under the new system, cigar smoking was permitted anywhere cigarette smoking was permitted. In my view, that was a bad decision. So it was permitted in the smoking location by the pool and the one on deck 4 port. I will no longer book port side cabins on M class because of that.

So it appears Constellation has made a change but not Millennium or Summit. I think there were some reports of Infinity changing also. Apparently it's a ship by ship decision.

Orv,

I promised I would give you an update as to the smoking situation on board the Connie.

I just got off the ship this morning, and I can definitively tell you and anyone else who is interested, there is NO SMOKING at the Oceanview Bar - Deck 10 Aft - port side.

I left an "Attention to Detail" card to the attention of Capt. Nikolas Christodoulakis, letting him know what I think of the policy. (Not that Celebrity really cares!)

Orv,

I promised I would give you an update as to the smoking situation on board the Connie.

I just got off the ship this morning, and I can definitively tell you and anyone else who is interested, there is NO SMOKING at the Oceanview Bar - Deck 10 Aft - port side.

I left an "Attention to Detail" card to the attention of Capt. Nikolas Christodoulakis, letting him know what I think of the policy. (Not that Celebrity really cares!)

Thanks for the update. Did you notice where the designated area for cigars and pipes were?

Thanks for the update. Did you notice where the designated area for cigars and pipes were?

No designated area. Cigar smokers can light up ANYWHERE smoking is allowed! Deck 4 - Portside; Pool deck - portside; Deck 11 - portside of Mast Bar (one tiny area).

I have a couple of months before final payment on an A1 aft. In December I was told it was only cigars out there. So hopefully some consistency will happen before then.

I am not going to switch lines over it, but I may switch cabins.

Yoo Hoo...CELEBRITY CRUISES....where are you???

Time to post something from HQ.....

Didn't the Celebrity poster say on another thread that they were on the Presidents cruise for two weeks, so I'm guessing they are not checking in as much as they do when they are at their home base.