Boarding after initial sailing

hrprof

I have reserved space on an O cruise from Miami to Iceland later down the road. After leaving Miami, a stop is made at Port Canaveral, then to Charleston SC. I live in Charleston and have no interest in flying to Miami, having an overnight, boarding in Miami and stopping in PC - been there a number of times. Told TA that I want to board in Charleston. Have been told that no assurance is available now. It's up to local Port Authority.

Has anyone asked for a deferred boarding? Experience?

It is against the PVSA

So NO you cannot board in another US port

Drive or fly to Miami or pick a different cruise

What if the ship did not stop in SC would you have booked the cruise???

Edited by LHT28

I know you cannot do this, on a US cruise. Is this just a US regulation?

Can you do this on a Med cruise (or another part of the world) for example??

Thanks!

Actually, what happens if your flight is delayed coming into Miami, and you miss the ships departure, and have to pick up the ship at the next stop??

Or Venice, for that matter.??

Edited by kimanjo
more questions

Can you do this on a Med cruise (or another part of the world) for example??

Thanks!

possible but with advanced written permission from the cruise line

Check with the cruise line

No deduction in fare though

Edited by LHT28

I do not think it is a matter of law because if you missed the ship in Miami you could pick it up at next port. Most likely it is up to the line as it must involve paperwork. I am no lawyer however I believe foreign flagged ships can not pick up pass at one US port and drop them off at another without stopping at a foreign port first. Ask Oceania.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I do not think it is a matter of law because if you missed the ship in Miami you could pick it up at next port. Most likely it is up to the line as it must involve paperwork. I am no lawyer however I believe foreign flagged ships can not pick up pass at one US port and drop them off at another without stopping at a foreign port first. Ask Oceania.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

The latter makes sense because this would be giving them "local traffic rights". We did a Panama canal cruise once and has to make a "technical" stop in Colombia - no one was allowed off the ship - and we were told this was a US requirement.

But someone getting ON at a port subsequent to sailing... Doesnt seem strange to me.

Another dumb travel agent. Call a supervisor at Oceania for ruling. Get it in writing. Bet its a no. I have boarded subsequent ports in Europe with written permission. USA is subject to Passenger Vessel Service Act. Look it up at search function top of this page.

Boarding at seperate US ports also would present a problem regards the mandatory muster station lifeboat drill.

I believe the Concordia had picked up passengers at different ports and not all had the necessary dril. Correct me if I am wrong.

There are a myriad of regulations to consider, not just the Jones Act, but one of them is the fact that the ship pays Port Charges based whether a Port is a "through Port" or an embarkation/debarkation Port.

If the Port Authorities in Charleston were willing to stipulate (in writing) that your boarding there would not change the ships standing, it might go a long way to furthering your cause.

Why not see what THEY say?

Actually, I did call the Port Authority on Saturday - no suprise, there was no one there. Will call them again tomorrow. O indicated that it was no problem for them if they have PA permission.

I had no expectation of a fare reduction!

The cruise is interesting, just a boring beginning!

Letting the deposit sit for 6 months, not a significant issue - might stand in the way of planning something else!

I have often thought about those folks who miss the boat or are too late returning from a private excursion. Those situations can't be rare.

I wonder how this differs in principle from an early disembarkation, which we have done more than once (although never in US ports).

In fact, we did a "late embarkation" in Australia once - Brisbane rather than Sydney - with prior consent of the cruise line (no consent from PA was required)

Two years ago I wanted to do Solstice B2B both Alaska and rep to Honolulu. Was chatting with a guy here doing same. A month after he booked Celebrity turned him down due to no Distant Foreign Ports between the two. He was told the penalty to X for carrying him was $300.

I don't see where this passenger is getting on in one US port and then getting off in another before going to a distant port as some are inferring.

It seems the correct situation is as J & S described.

I have often thought about those folks who miss the boat or are too late returning from a private excursion. Those situations can't be rare.

Neither is missing a port not a rare event. Happens all of the time.

Ship can be delayed or wrong tides/winds and ship will miss a port to keep schedule.

Happened to use. Left Nautica at Capetown to do a 2 night Safari. Were to meet ship in East London. Ship decided to skip port without telling us and we had to fly to Durban to catch her.

I have friends that were doing an Alaska cruise, Seattle to Seattle, a few years back. It was an early season cruise and the ship was coming around on a Miami-Seattle trip. They live in San Fran and negotiated a get on price there with O, when the ship made port. Since the first leg was not heavily booked, they got their cabin for the duration.

Reading the rules, it seems that a possible $300 fine, chump change, would be the only issue, if the PA didn't object

There are a myriad of regulations to consider, not just the Jones Act, but one of them is the fact that the ship pays Port Charges based whether a Port is a "through Port" or an embarkation/debarkation Port.

If the Port Authorities in Charleston were willing to stipulate (in writing) that your boarding there would not change the ships standing, it might go a long way to furthering your cause.

Why not see what THEY say?

I did finally get through to the SC Port authority and described the cruise and the wish to board in CHS - they made it very clear that they saw no problem and that O need only forward the request. They placed no timing requirements. I have passed this on to the TA and she will get this through to O. So, we will see. We have paid the deposit for a deck 7 OS - always our top choice.