Course by course in room dining?

kekilia

May I ask Jim when you last sailed on O? Things have changed since you have been "landlocked" ( your own word). Perhaps your info is stale. Deb

This was the whole point of my reference to recent information! But I'm glad you asked the question I've certainly wondered myself!

Dear Cruisers

I would like to know if the Butler oft he Penthouse Suite on Oceania Riviera is able to prepare a table on the balcony for dinner?

There really isn't much room on a regular PH balcony for dining as you would wish, with only two chairs and a small side table, but if you had one of the PH with extended/wrap around balconies, it would be lovely.

OMG, A butler is to give service, some think that IMO they are just down servants. Entitlement! Ick! Running to the Hotel Manager and General Manager is unnecessary, express yourself! These people work like dogs, in my opinion, and they don't deserve some of what has been dished out! IMO

Caroldoll, I respect your views and your fair assessment of things (and life!:)) I'm so glad you jumped in here and wrote the above. Thank you. :)

There really isn't much room on a regular PH balcony for dining as you would wish, with only two chairs and a small side table, but if you had one of the PH with extended/wrap around balconies, it would be lovely.

We're in 7128 next month - hope there is room:D

Apologise away :) ;). Actually, no it was absolutely NOT you I was referring to! I was referring to the suggestion that things be escalated immediately to the Hotel Manager with some pomposity, and the same writer(s) who suggests that butlers consistently and regularly disregard company policy to the detriment of guests' enjoyment. Others have said the same.

The number of Oceania cruises we have been on is irrelevant - 5 and two more plus one Grand Voyage booked, not that I really feel I need to qualify this but I have, as you asked nicely. :p The relevant bit in all this was that our butler experience was recent and was as I said.

We did indeed have one "afternoon butler", a couple of years ago (who may be the trainees or new to O), who did not do a very good job with a room service order, but a quiet word in our regular butler's ear addressed that. There is no way I would have gone straight to the HM! My DH has just reminded me that our butler actually asked us how his service was, otherwise I may not have said anything. It was done in the correct way and I'm sure this "trainee" learnt from this and didn't have to face a huge drama of an investigation from senior management all the way down through the ranks.

But, we do have a fair few drama queens on CC - don't we? ;) LOL!

Edited to add: ORV. I've just gone back and re-read your post as I was curious why on earth you thought I was talking about you - you have written a true review of your personal experience and when. No arguments from me there.

I'll apologize again. Thanks for the nice reply. The reason I thought it was me is that I was the only one that mentioned a butler not properly doing his job, but I really couldn't understand how I said any of the rest of that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'll go over to the sidelines now.

I'll apologize again. Thanks for the nice reply. The reason I thought it was me is that I was the only one that mentioned a butler not properly doing his job, but I really couldn't understand how I said any of the rest of that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'll go over to the sidelines now.

Ha ha .... Don't worry, it's all cool as the kids would say! :eek: it's only an Internet forum after all! :)

From Oceania the person that sets policy....

Jan,

The correct answer is that we strongly encourage guests to order from one outlet. This greatly improves service and manageability of the process.

Jancruz1

Thank you Jan.

That was my impression as well (see my first reply in post #2). That is what we have always done when staying in PH and ordering in.

You are welcome Paul, Stu and I are still waiting to meet you and your wife..

Jancruz1

Jan,

The correct answer is that we strongly encourage guests to order from one outlet. This greatly improves service and manageability of the process.

Jancruz1

Which is precisely what our butler told us -/ and he was the head butler on our cruise

It is easier for the butler. He can do a better job if everything comes from one restaurant

Sounds great Paul, we will let you know ..

OK..This just came in as the official word...I shouuld post...

Jan,

Just to be clear the official policy is that a guest can order from only one restaurant, with exception of guests in the Owner’s Suites.

and this is for the OS:

The correct answer is that we strongly encourage guests to order from one outlet. This greatly improves service and manageability of the process

Jancruz1

Sounds great Paul, we will let you know ..

OK..This just came in as the official word...I shouuld post...

Jan,

Just to be clear the official policy is that a guest can order from only one restaurant, with exception of guests in the Owner’s Suites.

and this is for the OS:

The correct answer is that we strongly encourage guests to order from one outlet. This greatly improves service and manageability of the process

Jancruz1

Which is exactly what my TA told me(which she got directly from Oceania, and I've never found her to be wrong) that I was passing along, and was then castigated for it.

I'm glad we now have the official word on this subject. What people need to realize is things change from what they maybe used to be, and that just because your experience might have been different it's not always the company policy. As we all know rules are bent from time to time.

You are welcome..the last 2 times I have been on board in a PH and once an OS I noticed we were asked to order from one restaurant so we did..but I wanted to make sure this is the official policy..

hence the question to the Sr.VP..

Jancruz1

I am so glad you did this. We are always in an OS and I would never ever consider asking for this inconvenience. It is quite enough to have any dinner course by course. I usually just have a burger or a sandwich, LOL!

You are welcome..the last 2 times I have been on board in a PH and once an OS I noticed we were asked to order from one restaurant so we did..but I wanted to make sure this is the official policy..

hence the question to the Sr.VP..

Jancruz1

We also appreciate you taking the time to find an "official" answer. When we were on the Riviera in November, we asked our butler about it. We did order from one restaurant but he knew we loved the watermelon/duck salad from Red Ginger so he made sure we had it. Really a special treat from a very special butler :)

We also appreciate you taking the time to find an "official" answer. When we were on the Riviera in November, we asked our butler about it. We did order from one restaurant but he knew we loved the watermelon/duck salad from Red Ginger so he made sure we had it. Really a special treat from a very special butler :)

There are some fabulous butlers on board..we are back on Regatta in June so I hope we have the same one as December..

Jancruz1

From what I understand, the OS (and the two aft OCs on the "O" ships) are aft, as are the kitchens. So it's understandable why they would restrict the privilege of "any restaurant" to the OS. (Sure, they could include the two OC suites but that's just that much more trouble and I can see why they don't specify them as well.)

The VS suites are as far forward as you can go, and they are a very long walk from the kitchen! (The other OC suites are roughly mid-ships so it might not be so difficult to bring food from different restaurants there, but then again, it's not so easy to make sure the food remains hot when the food is being brought that far.)

So that also makes sense.

When we've been ordering in from suites we've found it easy enough to order from just one restaurant.

Mura

Jan,

Jancruz1

Who else sees this as no real policy? Seems to me that they would prefer you to order from one restaurant, but if you cannot for whatever reason do that, it is acceptable to order from two. We could probably find two entrees from one restaurant, but maybe not so much appetizers and desserts.

Who else sees this as no real policy? Seems to me that they would prefer you to order from one restaurant, but if you cannot for whatever reason do that, it is acceptable to order from two. We could probably find two entrees from one restaurant, but maybe not so much appetizers and desserts.

MOI! When I first read the "official policy" quote, and that's all it is, a quote, I thought, well that's as clear as mud, especially when the very next poster misquoted one of the two words used! No offence carol doll or Jancruz, but this is what happens.:)

Then, reading on, the poster who found out official policy "agrees" that there are fabulous butlers on board and hopes to have one on a future cruise - and this is in response to the poster who said their butler brought them a dish from another speciality because he knew they loved it! Well that's my interpretation of it anyway! :) So what does that say? "Special butlers" can do what they like, company policy or not? Or for a select guest? Who knows.

So really no farther forward .... If it's a perk for OS only, then say so Oceania and make it clear, very clear to both your guests and butlers.

All of the above IMHO !!! :). And this is an Internet forum, not an official Oceania website. :)

Who else sees this as no real policy? Seems to me that they would prefer you to order from one restaurant, but if you cannot for whatever reason do that, it is acceptable to order from two.

I doubt you'll find too many people agreeing that "for whatever reason" is the logical interpretation of "strongly encourage guests to order from one outlet."

Seems to me that this no-hard-line policy is the result of being part of a service industry and knowing that there have been/are/will be customers who cause problems if their every whim isn't satisfied. The cruise line appears to have decided that it is easier to deal with excessive demands by giving in than by dealing with the inevitable follow up from people whose demands are thwarted.

We could probably find two entrees from one restaurant, but maybe not so much appetizers and desserts.

Do you dine in restaurants on land where you don't have the option of ordering appetizers and desserts from a different restaurant? Whatever coping strategies you have in that situation will likely work dining on Oceania.