WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

.. But it's certainly not going to ruin a vacation. Relax people. Lol

Nobody said anything about this ruining their vacation and Im not sure why people assume this anytime a thread about prices going up appears.

No, I have never paid 12.00 for a Margarita or 7.00 for a beer. Im more use to about half of that for each or sometimes even less. I dont hang out in big cities and "trendy" clubs though. Not my cup of tea :)

I realize its a cruise and I realize its a captive audience but enough is enough. Im sorry for thinking a 12.00 Margarita is ridiculous. Make them half that and sell more!

I drank quiet a few Mango Mai Tai's on board my last cruise because for around 7.50 including the tip I thought that was a decent deal. Now that same Mai Tai will cost 11.80. My math isnt exact but Im figuring that at around 60% increase. Yes, thats a big deal to me :) It just means I wont drink near as much. At least I wont get those calories either though.

Edited by ryano

. If people will pay, they will charge for it.

Thats what it all boils down too unfortunately. I could actually see people here making excuses if the Margaritas went to 25.00 a piece and Chops charging 100.00 pp :D:o

Thats what it all boils down too unfortunately. I could actually see people here making excuses if the Margaritas went to 25.00 a piece and Chops charging 100.00 pp :D:o

You are right, there would be people here defending that:D In the case of the margarita's it would all be about saving the passengers from themselves and "liability"................. :) But of course RCCL would still be willing to sell anyone as many 25.00 margarita's as they wanted.........:)

Edited by bouhunter

That's exactly what happens. Everyone makes excuses, little do they know their money is flying out left and right; and will continue to do so more and more (for a lesser product),while they're defending the cruise line. I don't get it.

Some increases, I get, to keep up with the times. But they're taking it to extremes.

Just as alcohol revenue is part of the cruiseline profit calculation, so too are all the various cruise price elements that go into my selection of what cruise I will take. I look at Norwegian Cruise Line and they now offer the option of including your choice of gratuities, drink package, dining package or just an onboard credit. I will also say that their basic cruise fare isn't particularly jacked up to include this option. So now, if I want to compare pricing between RCI and NCL, I have to take into consideration one of these options. I am not particularly interested in the mega ships so the ship size and itineraries are pretty similar. Photos, spas, etc. are all pretty similar (outrageously expensive!) so, believe it or not, an inclusive drink package could make the difference in which cruise line I select.

Another reason I'm happy to be a flowrider junkie. Can't drink during the day since flowriding and drinking is not a good mix. Then once the flowrider closes I have the DL and vouchers for the evening.

Then why did they put a bar right in between the two flowriders on the Oasis. I watched many guys grabbing a quick double shot before getting into line. One fellow caught my eye because he would drink a double Grey Goose (chilled of course) between every ride on the flowrider.

No, it is not ridiculous. I'm talking about the SAME BOTTLED BEER that RCCL is charging 6-7.00 for:rolleyes: Not "swill", whatever that is......You are being ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Obviously you missed the point, so I'll be happy to explain it. But first, if you pay the $7 or whatever for the cheapest beer on the menu, when it's the same price for them all, that's your own fault.

So now my point. You are comparing drink prices at your local hole in the wall bar (which you did not dispute so I will take that assumption as correct) with prices on vacation, on a cruise ship. That IS a ridiculous comparison. You are on vacation, presumably heading to a beach, or a historically significant city, or an otherwise different place than your local M*ch*g*an watering hole. If you don't understand the difference between the two, and have a correspondingly different expectation of price, then I can't help you any further.

Once again, dramatic overrractors (not all of you but a few) , I don't like the price increase either. But seriously, some of the comments on this thread are pretty silly. If it's that big of a deal to you, vote with the only thing any business cares about: Your Dollar.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Edited by OSULabRat

That's exactly what happens. Everyone makes excuses, little do they know their money is flying out left and right; and will continue to do so more and more (for a lesser product),while they're defending the cruise line. I don't get it.

Some increases, I get, to keep up with the times. But they're taking it to extremes.

There is no doubt that increases in any product from any establishment is a calulated risk of sales and income for any business. Having said this, I'm not too concerned. If I decide to buy, I buy. If I decide to walk away, I walk away. What I don't do is worry about someone else's money and whether it's flying out someone's window. My point is, that this is not a big deal unless you pay for drinks by the order vs the package. Even then, you & I have the ultimate voice/decision, not RCL. We either buy it or we don't. And we either cruise with another cruiseline or you don't. All based on our choices. I do agree that increases in fares, specialty dining, drinks etc has will have an impact on many cruisers going forward, including your's truly. So something must be up. We don't have the knowledge that RCL has. They must have more people cruising than they have cabins for. Increases in the qty of ships and the size of the new ships tells us this. It must be a nice problem to have.

BTW, When on the Navigator last March, Sabor was selling Margaritas for $12, plus tip. I had a few throughout the cruise using my premium pkg and paid the $2 difference.

Icsys, can't really see the menu descriptions. Does that $10 include top shelf? I usually drink Grey Goose, Belvedere, or Ketel one. I usually buy the ultimate package which has a $12 pre-tip max. I would be pissed if I have to belly up more cash every time I order a cocktail if top shelf is a higher price.

For what it's worth, all those brands are included in the Premium package also....the alcohol portion is exactly the same between Premium and Ultimate....

Now back to the topic of the thread... I will likely be drinking slightly less on the cruises I don't have a package on if this does indeed go fleet-wide... But it's certainly not going to ruin a vacation. Relax people. Lol

I believe it is fleet wide based on conversations with bar staff on Legend a few weeks ago where they had the new prices and menus. It did not ruin our time on Legend and we have no plans on changing buying drinks as we go or switching to using the drinks plans.

We do use the Diamond or Concierge Lounges before dinner for 2 drinks each - have only used the credits on our Sea Passes a couple of times since the program started. We likely will not change that either. Also gave the Legend bar staff (R-Bar and Viking Crown) extra as is our usual practice when getting great service!

I was also going to make the observation that drinks in bars and restaurants in our city (Las Vegas and suburbs...and I am NOT talking about touristy places on the Strip where prices are even more ridiculous!!) are generally way over $10. It's gotten to the point that on occasion, when my husband and I go out to dinner, our 2 drinks a piece will be more costly than our food.

I don't object to the cruise lines increasing their prices on anything, I understand that costs go up....we all wish we could buy things at the 1960 price but that doesn't mean we get to. :D I expect rates and costs to climb....doesn't mean I like it, but I do understand it.

I was also going to make the observation that drinks in bars and restaurants in our city (Las Vegas and suburbs...and I am NOT talking about touristy places on the Strip where prices are even more ridiculous!!) are generally way over $10. It's gotten to the point that on occasion, when my husband and I go out to dinner, our 2 drinks a piece will be more costly than our food.

I don't object to the cruise lines increasing their prices on anything, I understand that costs go up....we all wish we could buy things at the 1960 price but that doesn't mean we get to. :D I expect rates and costs to climb....doesn't mean I like it, but I do understand it.

Exactly.

Probably dating myself here but who remembers nickel beer night at MLB games?:D

Those same beers are $8, $9, and $10+ today. At a ballgame no less.

What, no $1 beers at the ballgame?? ;-) lol

Obviously you missed the point, so I'll be happy to explain it. But first, if you pay the $7 or whatever for the cheapest beer on the menu, when it's the same price for them all, that's your own fault.

So now my point. You are comparing drink prices at your local hole in the wall bar (which you did not dispute so I will take that assumption as correct) with prices on vacation, on a cruise ship. That IS a ridiculous comparison. You are on vacation, presumably heading to a beach, or a historically significant city, or an otherwise different place than your local M*ch*g*an watering hole. If you don't understand the difference between the two, and have a correspondingly different expectation of price, then I can't help you any further.

Once again, dramatic overrractors (not all of you but a few) , I don't like the price increase either. But seriously, some of the comments on this thread are pretty silly. If it's that big of a deal to you, vote with the only thing any business cares about: Your Dollar.

Gee I'm so glad you're "happy to explain it to me". Your arrogance is pretty funny, thanks for the laugh. You've now mentioned "hole in the wall" bars twice, I guess you have a problem with those. Even though however you may define that, they have nothing to do with my previous comments. Your condescending attitude is quite lame and shows a sad display of arrogance.:rolleyes: I guess you should stick to the "trendy and hotel bars" that you referenced, enjoy.......

Edited by bouhunter

No one is asking for 1960 prices but 2012 prices where they were still making a killing would be nice. :o People are blaming the price increase of Chops on the price of beef going up. Did I miss somewhere where the price of alcohol has risen? ;)

Like I said, there will be those not happy and are very vocal about it and then those that make excuses for it. Somewhere in between that will be the "we dont care, we are Diamond and have drinks for free" and "Ive got a drink package so I dont care" crowd. I just think with all these price increases everywhere that Royal may be getting "too big for their britches". They arent discounting last minute cruises anymore. Prices on cruises are getting outrageous and they are raising prices wherever they can on board as well. As long as they have a majority that pay up no matter what something costs, it will never end though.

Its nothing to ruin a cruise and Im not even sure why that was brought up but I know I wont drink as much and certainly wont be slinging that extra dollar tip or so more at the bartenders. Thats all. I dont care what others do with their money :)

Edited by ryano

We were on Celebrity last May on one of the first cruises after their major price increases which caused a lot of unhappiness. Of course an increase in drinks prices makes the packages look more attractive but only to those that drink sufficient to make it worthwhile.

We have the select drinks package included in our Sep Anthem cruise and I was going to upgrade onboard. Do you think the $ limits on the drinks packages will increase given the onboard price increases?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm probably dreaming here, but I wonder if the $10 drink thing is something for spring break, and drink prices might go back to "normal" after the break.

That makes a lot of sense Bob but since it does (make sense, that is), it probably isn't the reality... you are likely dreaming. :(

Edited by joepeka

Gee I'm so glad you're "happy to explain it to me". Your arrogance is pretty funny, thanks for the laugh. You've now mentioned "hole in the wall" bars twice, I guess you have a problem with those. Even though however you may define that, they have nothing to do with my previous comments. Your condescending attitude is rather pathetic and shows a sad display of arrogance.:rolleyes: I guess you should stick to the "trendy and hotel bars" that you referenced, enjoy.......

Lol. I Love hole in the wall bars. I'm just not naive enough to compare them to bars on cruise ships, or expect any equivalence whatsoever. Take my logic as arrogance if you will, it doesn't make you any more correct. Good day.

Lol. I Love hole in the wall bars. I'm just not naive enough to compare them to bars on cruise ships, or expect any equivalence whatsoever. Take my logic as arrogance if you will, it doesn't make you any more correct. Good day.

When you make statements like "I'll be happy to explain it...." you show how superior you THINK you are. Whatever, take your attitude elsewhere. Maybe to a hole in the wall bar.