WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

RCI has always had a well option. :mad:

That's too bad that they took away the well option. My last cruise in Dec 2015 I was getting well vodka (Finlandia) for $6. If I didn't specify they would charge me $6.75 for Absolute. Never new if they actually poured Absolute, but that's what I was charged for.

Wow... I stand corrected if that's the case. I've never seen it, but maybe I wasn't paying attention since I have had the package the last few cruises.

Just of the Regal Princess and most cocktails were 8.25 to 8.95 ( 6 something for alcohol on the rocks)

Good to know. Princess is most likely going to be my first choice of cruise lines starting in 2016, for a whole bunch of reasons, including drink prices.

Are the packages the same price they were a few weeks ago? I was looking at the Premium Package a few weeks ago, and I thought it was less than it is now ($57.82). That seems like an odd price. Is it inclusive of the 18% tip? I think that's the second time it has gone up in the last few months. :(

Are the packages the same price they were a few weeks ago? I was looking at the Premium Package a few weeks ago, and I thought it was less than it is now ($57.82). That seems like an odd price. Is it inclusive of the 18% tip? I think that's the second time it has gone up in the last few months. :(

$57.82 is $49 + 18%. I'm not sure what the price was before.

$57.82 is $49 + 18%. I'm not sure what the price was before.

DUH :p Thanks for doing the math for me. That makes sense. They didn't have the tip included when I looked last. I do think it's better having it priced w/gratuity. The description was pretty vague before as to whether the price included grat or not.

Just for the hell of it... I checked to see how much for the drink package.

For two people @ $55.00 per person plus tax/tips for 11 days it came to almost $1500.00 Are they smoking something ????

Will never drink that much liquor.

Royal needs to adjust their prices.. on Carnival they will let you buy some of your favorite bottle brought to your cabin day of your cruise and yes you will pay double buy it is better than paying those prices.

Guess I will just use my diamond free 3 drinks and be happy.

Cathy

So if they raised the prices and I get the premium package for the week and it includes for example : wines UP TO $12 did they also change the max of said drink as well ?

Did that make sense?

No, the max values are still $12 for glasses of wine and cocktails.

Just for the hell of it... I checked to see how much for the drink package.

For two people @ $55.00 per person plus tax/tips for 11 days it came to almost $1500.00 Are they smoking something ????

Will never drink that much liquor.

Royal needs to adjust their prices.. on Carnival they will let you buy some of your favorite bottle brought to your cabin day of your cruise and yes you will pay double buy it is better than paying those prices.

Guess I will just use my diamond free 3 drinks and be happy.

Cathy

Yes on Carnival you can buy a bottle but it is more then double . We paid 85.00 for bottle of Captain Morgan that I can pay 14.00 at home. Wish it would have only been double what its worth. lol

I'm displeased about the price increase for drinks, but it's probably not going to make enough of a difference to push me to one of the currently published alcoholic beverage packages.

I am considering the "Grape" package, if they have it onboard next week, as I am generally a wine drinker, but the $8/glass maximum has me concerned. It'll depend on what wines they have available for that price or less. Also, would a $9 glass cost $1 (the difference) or $9 (full price) with the "Grape" package? These are things I'll have to find out after I board.

As far as mixed drinks, though, it seems like my best course of action is going to find a very friendly bartender who may appreciate good tips! :D

It's interesting that they raised the required "tip" rate right before raising the prices. Many got over the shock of the higher tip saying it was only 3% difference, but it keeps adding up. Now the drinks have gone up so the tip is even more since it's based on the drink price.

If a drink used to be $9 + 15% tip you paid $9 + $1.35 so technically still around $10.35 total.

If the same drink now costs $12 + 18% you pay $12 + $2.16 (note the tip for the same drink has now gone up around 60%) and you pay $14.16 for the same drink and service. So the same drink and service costs around 37% more overall. And I'm using fuzzy number gleaned from quickly scanning this thread.

I would expect any time now for the drink packages to be increased as well since they seem to be implementing this in stages. That means the $54 package that was really $62.10 and is now $63.74 will also increase incrementally. I'm sure they're waiting for people to get used to the new drink prices, switch to doing drink packages instead (because now it seems like a better deal) then they will raise the packages commensurately.

It seems like a logical progression and a pretty smart marketing tactic. It's a great way to get people to try the packages and get hooked on the convenience.

Tom

Yes on Carnival you can buy a bottle but it is more then double . We paid 85.00 for bottle of Captain Morgan that I can pay 14.00 at home. Wish it would have only been double what its worth. lol

yeah, you're right... but a bottle of captain would make lots of drinks

Would only get 8 drinks on rccl

On our carnival cruise out of San Juan.. the lady taught us how to get the bottles through the scanners. lol

I read through about page 6 and then just skipped to the end, so sorry for any repetition. My 2 cents about drink price increases:

1. EVERYONE has the right to feel however they feel about drink prices going up. No one needs to justify to anyone else why they are mad, sad, etc. Your feelings are yours. Don't let someone else tell you that they are wrong or unjustified.
  2. Publicly traded companies have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to increase profits. So long as Royal ships continue to fill, you would expect them as a business to raise prices on anything that will increase their profits. If they take it too far they will start losing customers and need to bring prices back down (or offer a better value for the price).
  3. Non-drinkers won't be impacted. Heavy drinkers will likely get a package (and possibly "save" money). Moderate drinkers (2-3 drinks per day) will pay an extra $5-8 per day, or about an extra $50 for a 7 day cruise.

I was on the fence about getting a package. If Royal's intent is to get more people to buy a package, it worked for me. I will pay and enjoy the "all inclusive" way of thinking.

It's interesting that they raised the required "tip" rate right before raising the prices. Many got over the shock of the higher tip saying it was only 3% difference, but it keeps adding up.

3 is just the whole number. The difference between 15 and 18 is 20%.

I am sure RCI (and other lines that raised gratuity) did this for bar tenders and servers in lieu of an actual rate increase. Then they raised prices, as you said effectively upping the tip even more. But I feel they went too far and this will actually hurt staff as people spend less.

New here, used to the Celebrity drink packages. Does the premium cover just about everything or is the Ultimate the way to go? What are we losing if we take the premium over the Ultimate and save a few bucks?

New here, used to the Celebrity drink packages. Does the premium cover just about everything or is the Ultimate the way to go? What are we losing if we take the premium over the Ultimate and save a few bucks?

You will lose bottled sparkling water, fresh squeezed OJ, and specialty coffees. No differences in alcoholic drinks between the Premium and Ultimate packages.

Edited by clarea

We were on the Vision of the Seas 2/28 to 3/7 a strawberry Daiquiri was $12.00 plus a tip. That was my first & last drink while on the ship. We did our drinking while in port.

There wasn't anywhere you could go on the ship that you didn't see a display advertising the drink package.

Specialty restaurants must have been slow on this cruise. On the last night the ship was offering dinner for 2 $25.00.

We were on the Vision of the Seas 2/28 to 3/7 a strawberry Daiquiri was $12.00 plus a tip. That was my first & last drink while on the ship. We did our drinking while in port.

There wasn't anywhere you could go on the ship that you didn't see a display advertising the drink package.

Specialty restaurants must have been slow on this cruise. On the last night the ship was offering dinner for 2 $25.00.

At 12+tip you would still have to pay if you have drink package, only a couple a dollars bit still. Effing ridiculous

The specialty restaurants were probably dead because everyone spent all their money on alcohol. My next cruise is in a couple of weeks, I think it will be my last cruise with royal

At 12+tip you would still have to pay if you have drink package, only a couple a dollars bit still. Effing ridiculous

The specialty restaurants were probably dead because everyone spent all their money on alcohol. My next cruise is in a couple of weeks, I think it will be my last cruise with royal

I thought the package covered drinks up to $12.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Good point! I used to do a lot of extra tipping, but this turns out to be a huge raise for everyone! It may hurt the staff. But, if RCZi did it instead of a pay increase it really works for them.

Tom

3 is just the whole number. The difference between 15 and 18 is 20%.

I am sure RCI (and other lines that raised gratuity) did this for bar tenders and servers in lieu of an actual rate increase. Then they raised prices, as you said effectively upping the tip even more. But I feel they went too far and this will actually hurt staff as people spend less.

I noticed this on our recent brilliance cruise, too. I really disliked the single (and very limited) drink menu. I also found the drink prices to be pretty crazy. You shouldn't need to pay almost $24 for two mixed drinks. :eek:

Eagerly awaiting my customer satisfaction survey so I can provide comment on this.

Otherwise the cruise was great!