WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

i find it humorous that several months ago everyone was so happy to see AG go and welcomed Mr Bailey. now apparently he is just as bad :eek:

Well, to my mind, he actually inherited some big issues. Lots of capacity. Lots of debt. And a stock price that skyrocketed in the past year. He has to justify to shareholders that the stock is worth that price through increased onboard revenues. This is the textbook case of managing by the quarter but seeming to ignore mid to long term growth. That almost never works out well...I wish him luck in his new role but they are going to price me out soon.

I was in Orlando this weekend for a conference (not on Disney property either) and paid $15.00 for a vodka martini (and we're talking a medium-priced vodka only-Absolute), so after tip, close to $20.00...for one martini that was only half full at that!

Can you buy a bottle of liquor on the cruise?

Any bottles you purchase on the ship or on shore are held by the ship until the last night of the cruise when they are delivered to your cabin.

Edited by Ocean Boy

As mentioned on other drink threads... We were on Explorer last week and notices a huge increase in bar drink prices compared to a cruise just three months ago.

There was only one bar menu throughout the ship (with exception of Pub which has its own A3 sheet) which listed limited offerings and pushing the drinks packages...

ALL cocktails priced at $10 +18%

American premium beers all $6.00 +18%

Beers of the world $5.50 +18%

You could ask for drinks not on the menu, such as a B52 or Black Russian, but they were charged at $10 +18%

Bar waiter said that ALL cocktails now start at $10

Compared to our Allure cruise last November, bar prices have increased by as much as 40% !!

For instance:

B52, was $6.50, now $10

Black Russian, was $6.50, now $10

Ultimate cosmopolitan, was $7, now $10

[ATTACH]342719[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]342720[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the small pictures. The forum software reduces them to a max size of 620x280

One person on another thread said that on their recent Quantum cruise, the cocktail prices were the same... $11.80 ($10 +18%)

I'm guessing this bar price increase will go fleet wide.

Thanks for this but cannot open the attachments. Do you know roughly the prices of wine by the glass. Apologies if this was covered in the attachments

I was in Orlando this weekend for a conference (not on Disney property either) and paid $15.00 for a vodka martini (and we're talking a medium-priced vodka only-Absolute), so after tip, close to $20.00...for one martini that was only half full at that!

Hopefully you found someplace to hide this on the Expense Report you turn in for this conference... :eek:

Any bottles you purchase on the ship or on shore are held by the ship until the last night of the cruise when they are delivered to your cabin.

Thanks for the reply. We have sailed Holland America where you can buy bottles on the ship for a good price and have them sent to your room.

Thanks for the reply. We have sailed Holland America where you can buy bottles on the ship for a good price and have them sent to your room.

Royal does not trust us with that much alcohol.

Royal does not trust us with that much alcohol.

Not sure what year your first cruise was, but used to be able to pay a nominal fee and be able to take the bottle out of the shop if you wanted. Used to buy bottles and bring them right back to the cabin.

Who would tip $4 or $5 for a mediocre drink? :confused:

Not sure what year your first cruise was, but used to be able to pay a nominal fee and be able to take the bottle out of the shop if you wanted. Used to buy bottles and bring them right back to the cabin.

I should have used the sarcasm symbol. I knew it used to be allowed. If I recall correctly, they started prohibiting bottles of liquor about the same time there was a lawsuit related to someone falling off the ship and a bottle of liquor.

I should have used the sarcasm symbol. I knew it used to be allowed. If I recall correctly, they started prohibiting bottles of liquor about the same time there was a lawsuit related to someone falling off the ship and a bottle of liquor.

I caught the sarcasm.;)

We´ve been on the Celebrity Eclipse in January and realized a steep increase in drink prices... just a few examples

soda 3$ (at least a can)

Coors, Budweiser, Bud light 5.5$

Heinecken, Corona 6$

Amstel, Beck´s 7$

O´Doul´s 6.50$

Martinis 12$

cocktails 9 -11$

alcohol free cocktails 5$

Espresso 3.5$

Cappuccino 5$

And back then it was still 15% service charge.

I already said they want to force you to buy a package. We had one (included as a promo).

Anyway, on my upcoming Allure med cruise with only one day at sea I will stick to my ice tea and my Diamond vouchers plus the cappuccino in the Diamond Lounge. I never ever had a huge bar bill and a drink package would never pay off for me.

steamboats

they started prohibiting bottles of liquor about the same time there was a lawsuit related to someone falling off the ship and a bottle of liquor.

The George Smith case correct? They had a bottle of Absinthe that they smuggled on board if I remember correctly.

This isn't a defense of raising the drink prices, but merely an observation... You really have never paid that amount for a drink on land? Granted it's not at every bar... But if you haven't paid $7 for a beer or $12 for a margarita ANYWHERE on land ever, I'm going to have to assume you've never drank a drink at any hotel bar, any "trendy" club, any big major city, or any tourist destination ever... Because that is not that exorbitant of a price as to make it unfathomable.

Also, to the poster taking about $1 swill beers at their local hole in the wall drinking spot, just stop. Totally ridiculous comparison. The beers that I drink even at home cost more than $1 each at the State minimum prices.

Now back to the topic of the thread... I will likely be drinking slightly less on the cruises I don't have a package on if this does indeed go fleet-wide... But it's certainly not going to ruin a vacation. Relax people. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Hopefully you found someplace to hide this on the Expense Report you turn in for this conference... :eek:

Yep, M&IE (Miscellaneous and Incidental Expenses) :cool:

It seems like the drinks listed in the menu are premium drinks. Are "regular" drinks $10 as well? $10 is not out of line for a top shelf margarita or martini, but is there really no cheaper (unlisted) option?

There are no "well" options. RCI does not bother to bring Taaka Vodka or the like on board. You are getting "premium" liqour.

Who would tip $4 or $5 for a mediocre drink? :confused:

Someone who has worked for tips before.................20% tip=$3.00=$17.00....Guess I should have said the EXACT amount rather than "close to $20.00". Not the poor bartender's fault that they are made to comply with the high prices and pouring amounts dictated by corporate greed.

I thought Absinthe was illegal, no?

It was illegal in the US and many other countries at the time of the accident.

Its my understanding that they smuggled it on from Florence :)

It is no longer illegal here in the US and hasn't been since 2007 according to this article and others.

http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/102-news-and-information/items/187-yes-real-absinthe-is-legal-in-the-us

Edited by ryano

There are no "well" options. RCI does not bother to bring Taaka Vodka or the like on board. You are getting "premium" liquor.

RCI has always had a well option. :mad:

That's too bad that they took away the well option. My last cruise in Dec 2015 I was getting well vodka (Finlandia) for $6. If I didn't specify they would charge me $6.75 for Absolute. Never new if they actually poured Absolute, but that's what I was charged for.