2015 CCL Shareholder Benefit

0bnxshs

Couldn't believe how easy it was to get this OBC. I was told it could take "quite a while" to receive the credit. I faxed them the document they required and a copy of my brokerage statement in the morning. By the time I returned home in the afternoon I had already received notification that they applied the credit to my account for our cruise in April. Piece of cake!!

Helen

Thanks so much for sharing the link with us. I've been anticipating the renewal of the benefit to use it on our 50-day cruise late this year -- I'll need all the OBC I can get! :D

We will, too! Bought the stock to get this benefit as a previous thread convinced me that the OBC was a far better return than I would get on another investment.

Thanks, OP!

Has anyone ever done the math to figure out how often you need to cruise for this to be worthwhile?

I'm good at finance but suck at math!

The answer - it depends!

At the current stock price ($43), the dividend yield is about 2.3%.

For each 7 day cruise (per year) that you take, you earn $100, or another 2.3%.

If you take a 15 day or longer cruise, you earn $250, or another 5.8%.

Work with these numbers to determine what is worthwhile to you.

Couldn't believe how easy it was to get this OBC. I was told it could take "quite a while" to receive the credit. I faxed them the document they required and a copy of my brokerage statement in the morning. By the time I returned home in the afternoon I had already received notification that they applied the credit to my account for our cruise in April. Piece of cake!!

Helen

Same experience in January. We received an email confirmation the same day. And our travel agency had it in their records too very soon after, which surprised me since we had not mentioned it. But the agency (can't say the name) either was notified by HAL or it has a link to Holland America's passenger record somehow.

Has anyone ever done the math to figure out how often you need to cruise for this to be worthwhile?

The answer - it depends!

My answer would be similar, but I would ask the following questions.

1. Can you afford the money to buy the stock? This would include having the money in a retirement account that allows you to buy stocks.

2. Can this be a long term investment?

3. Do you plan on cruising on Carnival Corp Lines?

4. What return are you currently getting on the money you would use to purchase the stock?

5. If you have to sell the stock quickly, can you afford to lose some money on the transaction.

From my standpoint, I purchased the stock many years ago and have taken multiple and long cruises several years. While I am down a bit on the price I paid for the stock, I have received far more in dividends and benefits than I have lost.

Added:

I just checked, I purchased the stock 9 years ago. What I have (or will have by the end of the year) received in dividends and benefits is over half of what I paid.

Edited by richwmn

The answer - it depends!

Don't forget that the OBC you receive should be looked at as an after-tax income! :) Take a couple of 15-day (or greater) cruises per year, and that's $500 net income. Depending on your tax bracket, that could represent a gross income of $750 or more.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

The answer - it depends!

Thanks - 2.3 percent makes sense. For us who cruise once/year and less than 12 days it at this time doesn't really. We are beating that within Vanguard thankfully.

This is our story.. After many years of putting off purchasing the stock DH & I decided to purchase a hundred shares in March of 2009 when it was $18.249 a share.. For years we've been told by CC posters that it was worth it, but never took the plunge.. Our Total cost including commission was $1895.12.

Since then we've Collected Dividends of $440 Through Dec of 2014 & OBC's of $1660 through the year 2013..We did not cruise in 2014 & so far have not booked a cruise for 2015 but still collecting a dividend every three months.. All of the OBC's with the exception of one was for $250 as we've taken the longer cruises..

If we sold it today we would have a other large profit since it's now $43.84 a share..So in our case we've more than paid for the stock..:):):):)

We bought the 100 minimum through one of our IRA accounts. After the Costa Concordia disaster when stock was down, we bought another 100, and it's up in value now.

Experts always say to understand what you are buying and what the company actually does (vs Enron-type voodoo businesses) and we've observed the diversity of CCL lines. Some products for US market, some more international, some high end, mass market, premium, etc.

None of us can predict another market meltdown or disaster, but meanwhile there are thousands of people in my baby boomer generation retiring every day and ready to enjoy life. RVs are also booming. Carnival seems well-positioned to serve that market.

Don't forget that the OBC you receive should be looked at as an after-tax income! :) Take a couple of 15-day (or greater) cruises per year, and that's $500 net income. Depending on your tax bracket, that could represent a gross income of $750 or more.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Good point, Ruth.

Several posters stated that the $250 OBC was for 15 days. The document states 14 days or longer. We got the $250 for our Alaska cruise this coming July...

You are correct - 14 days or longer. I got confused since my upcoming cruise is 15 days and I got the $250.

DaveOKC

We have used the stock purchase in the past. We were told the stock purchase has to be within six months of booking?

I've owned the same 100 shares since 2008 and always used the benefit. There has never been a limit imposed on the number of times it's claimed (yearly or total) nor how long I've owned the stock. Whoever told you that may have been trying to say that you have to own the stock within a few months of the cruise for which you are claiming it. It has not mattered when you bought it; only that you own it after final payment is made (so it seems).

Edited by 0bnxshs

We have used the stock purchase in the past. We were told the stock purchase has to be within six months of booking?

Don't understand what you are saying? I know of no such rule..

We purchased our stock in March 2009 & have been getting OBC's on every cruise since then for the original purchase of 100 shares..

We can book today for a cruise one year from now.. Close to our departure date we can submit our proof of ownership of the stock we purchased 6 years ago to HAL to get our OBC's..