Sea Princess, Severe list - onboard damage

Just found this report (11th March) from another site that I visit.

From a reader: Heard this from passengers of Sea Princess while in port of Tauranga, North Island New Zealand this week. During the journey from Australia, a steering equipment error was made by a staff member who has since been dismissed. Approx 6am ship experienced huge noise and listed severely for approx 3/4 hr. Considerable damage, including $250,000 of alcohol.

Anyone else heard anything ? Couldn't find any thing about this on CC.

Cheers

Johhno

It didn't hit the reef did it???

OMG there will be a riot if they run out of grog.

They will have to load up with Kiwi grog, Steinlager and Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, lubberly jubberly, it will do fine.

BTW what exactly is a "steering equipment error". Turning the ship in the wrong direction? :eek:

You may be right about hitting a reef, Sarah.

Could be wrong heading and colliding with something or turning the ship to abruptly causing an extreme list which is what happened on Crown Princess a few years ago.:)

They will have to load up with Kiwi grog, Steinlager and Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, lubberly jubberly, it will do fine.

Steinlager? Yuck! There are much better beers in NZ than Steinlager. :eek:

And don't forget the good NZ Pinot Noir for red wine drinkers. :D

My friends are on this cruise, they said the ship angled at 45 degrees, waking them up at 6:15. All their duty free goods were broken. Funniest thing, the husband jumped out of bed, or I should say fell out of bed put his life jacket on, about to leave cabin, when he released he had no clothes on!! They were told it was a steering malfunction.

Edited by redthrees

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not and judging by the cynical posts so far, neither do a lot of other people

1st of April is too far away. Perhaps someone has jumped the gun

If, on the other hand, there is a modicum of truth in this story then why aren't Princess saying something about it, either admit something went wrong or kill the story outright

It's too serious to joke about

John

If something happened maybe Princess want to get all the facts first before making a statement.

I've been on a ship before and it has listed and that is because of very strong winds hitting the ship on the side. And to walk up hill to get to the bar. And downhill with your drink back to your seat. :D

Incidents at sea reporting it as not a steering malfunction, but a malfunctioning steerer ! Report says someone stood down and ship was listing for 30 - 45 minutes .

Mmmmmmmmmmm................wonder what time the job centre opens in their home town?

Since Sea Princess is a propeller and rudder propulsion system, I would bet she has Becker, or trim tab, rudders. These are designed to give additional steerage at slow speeds like when docking, but also give the added disadvantage of huge amounts of turning force when the ship is at sea speed. Most likely, a helmsman or bridge officer entered a new heading into the autopilot, without checking that the rate of turn filter was engaged, and the rudders went to "hard over". This will result in the ship heeling over to the 40*+ range. I experienced this while working on the Norwegian Sky about a decade ago, and there wasn't an unbroken piece of crockery or glassware onboard, and we sent about 100 passengers to the hospital in Vancouver. Its probably lucky it happened at night, when most of the passengers were asleep, so the worst was getting tossed out of bed.

Though 35-40 minutes sounds excessive unless something locked up and she was circling for that long.

Edited by chengkp75

It's not a joke. I just spoke to my sister in law who was on the ship. She said about 6 in the morning there was a huge jolt and all the draws in her cabin flew open as the ship was at a tilt and some of her things on the benches fell onto the floor. Princess said it was a steering problem and she doesn't know any more than that. Lots of things broken around the ship, bottles, plates etc.