How mad would you have to be.??

COLLEYBERRY

Ya think? :D

I think it was on the Ryndam that there were a couple of self-appointed laundry room "supervisors". One suggested that since we had just boarded, I should have no need to do laundry :rolleyes:

The other one was actually blocking the door to the laundry room with her chair and her legs. That one was like a guard dog "No machines, all busy, get out, grrrrrr"

At work we call them" Eleanor Rigbys" (like the Beatles song).. Where the hell do the all come from (We KNOW where they all belong *LOL*)

Nothing else to fill the lonely days except other peoples business.

Absolutely true story as witnessed it myself. It was on the Grand Asia in 2012on the Amsterdam and there were 2 of us watching our respective machines and 1 machine not attended which had just finished washing. An older lady comes in to do laundry and notices that the 1 machine that is not running has clothes in it, so she removes the clothes into one of the provided laundry baskets, adds her clothes and chats with us. A guy comes in as the new lady is removing her clothes and putting them in a dryer. He was absolutely irate that someone touched his clothes - the lady explained she put them in a basket as he was not around so he yells at her and then shoves the lady against the wall for touching his clothes. We called security and the guy was removed - did not see him again so no clue what happened. Had not seen him before this so maybe our paths just did not cross.

Absolutely true story as witnessed it myself. It was on the Grand Asia in 2012on the Amsterdam and there were 2 of us watching our respective machines and 1 machine not attended which had just finished washing. An older lady comes in to do laundry and notices that the 1 machine that is not running has clothes in it, so she removes the clothes into one of the provided laundry baskets, adds her clothes and chats with us. A guy comes in as the new lady is removing her clothes and putting them in a dryer. He was absolutely irate that someone touched his clothes - the lady explained she put them in a basket as he was not around so he yells at her and then shoves the lady against the wall for touching his clothes. We called security and the guy was removed - did not see him again so no clue what happened. Had not seen him before this so maybe our paths just did not cross.

Ok no reason to shove an old lady against the wall, but what she did was wrong. And she thought she would get away with it because she was an old lady.

Next time someone complains that Vista and Signature ships do not have self-service laundries, we can quote this story. :D Give them a good reason why HAL eliminated them on the new ships. :D :D

You left out.. They're noisy eyesores

I agree 200%. I'm on vacation.

On Oceania, it doesn't look like there is a good laundry package so there I ill be doing laundry - uggh.

I avoid it as much as possible. We've had good service and if I don't have to cook, clean - why do laundry.?

I guess I am an avid over-packer, as I try to bring enough clothes that we have enough for the week. I just can't imagine wasting one minute doing laundry on a cruise. Maybe if we did a two week cruise or one of those B2B intineraries, but for seven day cruises I am on a cruise to be lazy and happy. And it may stink (lol) to haul home dirty clothes, but I think spending time doing laundry on a cruise would be worse. And as for people's bad behavior, wherever there are public resources you will most likely see people fighting over them, whether it is warranted or not. There are those people who believe it's other people's responsibility to be considerate so that they don't have to be. They are everywhere and they are called narcissists. I'm glad to avoid the laundry facilities for this reason. I try not to let petty annoyances ruin my good time, especially on a cruise.

Lorie

Four women (and partners) were put off the ship at various stops on our recent Sun Princess Fiji cruise for various laundry room offences from assault with an iron to theft to placing chocolates in someone else's dryer.

Very dangerous area. We avoid it completely.

Edited by iancal

Just adding 2 more cents to this, I have used the laundry facility on board and thankfully have never come across bad behavior. Ships with laundry have set hours, once we were right down the hall and noise was never a problem.

I have a different view on removing someone's clothes from a washer if they are not present. It happened to me and I was not offended that they touched my clothes. They were placed in a laundry basket and I proceeded to pop them in the dryer. I don't think it's fair to leave for an undetermined time and have people waiting, holding a basket and staring at a stopped washer.

Then we cruised a ship without laundry..and I found that blue bag, stuffed it with laundry almost busting at the seams and sent it out. Now that's how to do laundry on a ship:)

We now sign up for the unlimited laundry pkg. (getting close to 4 stars so soon it will be free) and it has served us well. I now pack less and let them take care of it. All very efficient, we have put things out in the morning and they were returned the same day...not that is service.:)

Ok no reason to shove an old lady against the wall, but what she did was wrong. And she thought she would get away with it because she was an old lady.

I disagree. Why should one person tie up a washer for double the amount of time it takes to do a load? If you are not back in time them someone else has the right to touch your clothes. Was she supposed to stand around with her laundry just waiting for the selfish jerk to return?

Anyone who has had to use shared laundry knows "the rules" and that includes being back in time to attend to your laundry. I have seen laundry taken from a washer and dumped on the floor. At least she used the supplied laundry basket.

that is why the baskets are there.

The blue bag or unlimited laundry are the way to go.

Of course, the man should never have put a hand on her let alone shove her against a wall but I dunno.........

If he left the clothes in the washer so long after the cycle finished that she had time to do a full load in that machine before he returned, he shouldn't have been quite so angry IMO She placed his things in a provided laundry basket so presumably treated his clothes with care. He should have returned in time to remove his clothes sooner, don't 'cha think? :)

Five Star no charge laundry or Suite included laundry/dry cleaning....... I don't want to deal with these situations described in this thread. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

When it comes to petty arguments and rudeness on cruise ships,our experience is that women are by far the worst.

This was also my experience when working with the public and managing people in a business environment.

We PAY for the "Unlimited" package. It is more than worth it to us. We still have a way to go to reach 4*. We send out laundry every day until near the end we ask our (usually superb) room steward what is the last time we can send it out?

Had very few issues and when we had an incident they more than made up for it. And yes, we send EVERYTHING out and go home with almost all clean clothes.

I agree 100% with StartrainDD.

And back to Colleen's original question: How mad?

To be in this situation, I'd need to be insane. The last thing I want to do on vacation is laundry so I wouldn't be in the laundry room in the first place. And, as we've been told many times, "never throw anything overboard"!

Cheers!

We spend much of our time motorhoming so I often use RV park laundries. I can believe anything after my experiences. There are always some users that I refer to as laundry room ****s. They act as if they own the laundry and are inconsiderate of other users.

I was lucky on our last RV trip to the San Diego area. Both parks where I washed clothes had decent laundries, and nice people. Not only without conflict, but I got good tips from other campers on where to go and what to do, including a great happy hour in Imperial Beach. I hope my luck continues... or that DH starts doing the laundry on trips.

And then there is the tale of the HAL cruiser who would wash her own sheets everyday in the Laundromat. This is about the time I realized that there are some very strange folks on ships and its best to avoid the laundry room :).

Hank

I was lucky on our last RV trip to the San Diego area. Both parks where I washed clothes had decent laundries, and nice people. Not only without conflict, but I got good tips from other campers on where to go and what to do, including a great happy hour in Imperial Beach. I hope my luck continues... or that DH starts doing the laundry on trips.

It would have to be one heck of a happy hour if I was somehow washing clothes in a park laundromat:p

Four women (and partners) were put off the ship at various stops on our recent Sun Princess Fiji cruise for various laundry room offences from assault with an iron to theft to placing chocolates in someone else's dryer.

Are you sure it was chocolate?:eek::eek::eek:

It would have to be one heck of a happy hour if I was somehow washing clothes in a park laundromat:p

The happy hour was later... I got the directions in the laundromat. It almost, but not quite, made up for having to wash clothes. I did see a HAL laundry tag left on one of my shirts, and it made me homesick for our stewards and unlimited laundry. :)

four women (and partners) were put off the ship at various stops on our recent sun princess fiji cruise for various laundry room offences from assault with an iron to theft to placing chocolates in someone else's dryer.

wow!

I wouldn't worry too much about that, as in the not too distant future there will no longer be laundry rooms on any HAL ships.

We sail on the Statendam 14 day rt Seattle to Alaska in May. Will the ship still have self laundry? How much does it cost? We just got back from a 15 day rt to Hawaii and I did one load of socks/undies. Every other time I've used self laundry, the machines had auto loading detergent so the ship controls the amount. But the Grand Princess had you buy a little box of soap for $1.50 plus $2 per wash and dry load. The Fill a Bag doesn't sound too bad compared to what I spent on the Grand.

Thanks for the info.

Goodness, who knew a ship's laundry facilities could be fraught with such peril.

The elderly shoved against a wall,someone being clocked with an iron,stolen clothes,and chocolates in the dryer (Lordy the mess !!) I guess "duds overboard "

isn't such a stretch after all.:D

My laundry room at home is very tranquil ..ya know why ?? Cause most days there is no one there but ME !! ;)

Edited by COLLEYBERRY